Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kyte posted:

Yeah Alice is the exception but IIRC the manga itself doesn't delve as deeply into her food either.

To be fair, while the writer is likely a pretty good cook. That's the sort of specialized kind of thing he might not be comfortable with trying to, well, bullshit about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The only cooking thing I can remember Erina doing besides tasting other people's stuff is mass producing eggs benedict for the training camp which sounds like it would be hard as gently caress to do solo

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Still, she's supposed to be one of the Elite Ten. In fact, the first person ever to become one of the Elite Ten while still in junior high. That should mean something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blinks77 posted:

To be fair, while the writer is likely a pretty good cook. That's the sort of specialized kind of thing he might not be comfortable with trying to, well, bullshit about.

There's actually a separate writer and cooking consultant for this series. And I'm pretty sure the cooking consultant is a woman. Presumably the writer just kinda wings it sometimes, leading to the shocked reactions to relatively mundane cooking techniques :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I got the impression the food consultant participates just as much as the rest (ergo why she gets equal billing in the credits), but the techniques are deliberately kept simple so people can try'em at home.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Begemot posted:

There's actually a separate writer and cooking consultant for this series. And I'm pretty sure the cooking consultant is a woman. Presumably the writer just kinda wings it sometimes, leading to the shocked reactions to relatively mundane cooking techniques :v:

The food consultant for this series is an underwear model. It's so hilariously appropriate.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kyte posted:

I got the impression the food consultant participates just as much as the rest (ergo why she gets equal billing in the credits), but the techniques are deliberately kept simple so people can try'em at home.

Now I miss those little insert recipes they had way back in the beginning.

Or maybe they're still there and don't get scanlated. idk.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zenostein posted:

Now I miss those little insert recipes they had way back in the beginning.

Or maybe they're still there and don't get scanlated. idk.

They're probably added in the volume releases. I'll have to check next time I'm at a bookstore.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Angry Grimace posted:

The food consultant for this series is an underwear model. It's so hilariously appropriate.

gonna need some pics for thiso ne

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She's really popular, so of course they're everywhere at reddit/imgur:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is epic

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm planning on doing a dinner party for this Halloween and I'm running test dishes far in advance. The theme will be Edgar Allan Poe/Victorian, and here's one of the test dishes for the course inspired by Poe's famous poem "The Raven:"

Plating is a bit busy, so I'll need to tone that down a bit. But overall it's black silke chicken with a morel mushroom sauce. I also need to tone down the salt a bit. Or not... it should balance out better if I layer it on top of some creamy parsnip potato mash.

Pre-saucing.

Individual medallions.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't make this up! I love it.

Catboy that already looks better than anything I'll ever make, so don't sweat it too much unless your attendees are all food snobs. If you're already making test dishes 4 months out you'll be fine. I wish I had rad dish ideas for Poe stuff, Raven in particular, but I got nothing.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

You can't make this up! I love it.

Catboy that already looks better than anything I'll ever make, so don't sweat it too much unless your attendees are all food snobs. If you're already making test dishes 4 months out you'll be fine. I wish I had rad dish ideas for Poe stuff, Raven in particular, but I got nothing.

Jeez 4 months seems like such a short time with how busy I am with other things in life.

That being said, I also have dishes planned for The Masque of Red Death, The Tell-Tale Heart, Pit & The Pendulum, Fall of the House of Usher, and of course Cask of Amontillado.

Spoilers: Cask of Amontillado will be a tiramisu. ;)

I'm also thinking of doing something with absinthe (a gelatin most likely), as well as making a Key Lime Pie based semifreddo based on the one Aldini made in his shokugeki against Mimasaka, inspired by the manga. The Key lime pie will tie into a nice horror story I know but that's not quite appropriate for this thread. :P

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Jeez 4 months seems like such a short time with how busy I am with other things in life.

That being said, I also have dishes planned for The Masque of Red Death, The Tell-Tale Heart, Pit & The Pendulum, Fall of the House of Usher, and of course Cask of Amontillado.

I'm also thinking of doing something with absinthe (a gelatin most likely), as well as making a Key Lime Pie based semifreddo based on the one Aldini made in his shokugeki against Mimasaka, inspired by the manga. The Key lime pie will tie into a nice horror story I know but that's not quite appropriate for this thread. :P

You GOTTA have the appropriate soundtrack for one of those!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxP4IgJU4Y

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I don't think I've ever seen silkie meat so pale before (or served as anything other than a soup). I almost think making the dish all black themed should be a thing with a darker sauce (squid ink is black, but idk if it'd go with chicken) like something based with soy sauce.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yeah, if I were going to do this there's literally no way I wouldn't make like 3 dishes max, tie each to a different poe thing, and serve wine as the Amontillado tie-in.

The one idea that just came to me is serving wine in an ice bucket but carving the ice to look like bricks, but you're probably going to make the Tiramisu look brick-y and that's 10x cooler. You're making me jealous that I'm not one of your pals though, man I need to move up in society and get invited to rad dinner parties.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always remembered it as Cask of Armadillo because that was the only way I could even vaguely remember its spelling.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Here you go: you can finally own your very own Meat General collector plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/182173260384?campid=5336983630&customid=2028937965

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Perfect gift for your very horny great aunt.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I always remembered it as Cask of Armadillo because that was the only way I could even vaguely remember its spelling.

Now I want an image of someone being bricked in by armadillos, or being lured to their demise in an animal sanctuary.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I guess its time for Erina Boot Camp™

Although the most recent crappy scans are so bad I don't even want to post them and will just wait for a person with a vague understanding of what English is supposed to look like to translate it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/171/3476/1

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: cook free or fry.

Looking forward to the Silver Spoon crossover.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 17, 2016

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mikl posted:

Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: cook free or fry.

Boo this title.

Did like Erina's new way of not praising Soma's good cooking, though.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

So will their Free cooking training involve swimming to different islands and rockin' abs? This is important.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think we all knew that season 2 of the anime was coming, but it's nice to get confirmation straight from the horse's mouth.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

congratulations to yuuki tabata's wife

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean I don't think the second season needed confirmation given it comes out in 2 weeks.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think we all knew that season 2 of the anime was coming, but it's nice to get confirmation straight from the horse's mouth.

We've already heard the OP/ED themes and poo poo. Its not been a secret or anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That chapter was good and I am glad that Erina is saying "gently caress you Dad!" (at least mentally) already, I thought it'd take much longer.

I hope the cooking exams put some focus on the other characters though. The manga's been super Soma focused since Stagiare week but even these past few chapters on Erina (who's not one of my favourite characters) have been really enjoyable so I'm looking forward to some other cool characters getting back into the foreground for the first time in a while.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Even in unrelated threads, Togashi manages to make me feel down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm guessing Erina probably doesn't understand the romantic implication she's creating by refusing to acknowledge Soma's dish since it just invites him to keep trying to feed her.

I mean, obviously that's the author's intent in keeping that storyline in.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Angry Grimace posted:

It still makes me laugh this manga makes supposedly super-smart chef types act dumb as dogshit and get super blown away by basic concepts such as deglazing a pan, or as in this chapter, the fact that you might not always want to use the strongest-flavored ingredients possible at all times.

Also, this entire confrontation between Erina and Soma feels like Morpheus fighting Neo with the entire crew watching unbeknownst to the people involved.

yeah, but if this manga was true to life there'd be too much substance abuse and suicidal ideation for them to run it in a youth marketed collection

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hype for second season. I still haven't gone back and read the parts between where the anime ended and the Staggiare arc where I picked up the manga in Jump, so more new food battles for me!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I thought the joke with w is that strings of w's look like ハハハハハハ, which is literally "hahahahaha" in katakana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hype for second season. I still haven't gone back and read the parts between where the anime ended and the Staggiare arc where I picked up the manga in Jump, so more new food battles for me!

This goes at least to the Stagiare based on the preview. Dunno how far they are going.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean I don't think the second season needed confirmation given it comes out in 2 weeks.

Knowing this industry...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought the joke with w is that strings of w's look like ハハハハハハ, which is literally "hahahahaha" in katakana.

No, it's just warau. Literally lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

This goes at least to the Stagiare based on the preview. Dunno how far they are going.

I hope they get to the food festival, because Soma vs Kuga is probably my favourite "fight" in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Food Hitlers reveal is where I think they'll end it. Although I don't remember how long him showing up and him being the new director are revealed.