Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That final game at GP Prague was bonkers. Storm beating Miracles through 3 flusterstorms and 2 forces in hand, and having his cabal rituals and dark rituals surgical extracted out of his deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

That final game at GP Prague was bonkers. Storm beating Miracles through 3 flusterstorms and 2 forces in hand, and having his cabal rituals and dark rituals surgical extracted out of his deck.

That was seriously a masterful demonstration of storm piloting

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

That was seriously a masterful demonstration of storm piloting

Took a big punt from the miracles player though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Took a big punt from the miracles player though.

Not really. Miracles player took a fine line w/ double extract - if he hadn't done that, he gets kgripped and is down to one flusterstorm anyway. Storm player actually missed lethal twice - the first turn he tried to go off, he tapped volc to cast a ponder instead of a sea and didn't have red mana. Second turn, he brainstormed instead of just casting LED -> tendrils, since he'd have 5 mana available to just pay for 5 copies of flusterstorm.

e; Not saying either played badly by any means, there were a million lines to take on both of those turns.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skyl3lazer posted:

Not really. Miracles player took a fine line w/ double extract - if he hadn't done that, he gets kgripped and is down to one flusterstorm anyway. Storm player actually missed lethal twice - the first turn he tried to go off, he tapped volc to cast a ponder instead of a sea and didn't have red mana. Second turn, he brainstormed instead of just casting LED -> tendrils, since he'd have 5 mana available to just pay for 5 copies of flusterstorm.

e; Not saying either played badly by any means, there were a million lines to take on both of those turns.

Miracles player punted when he missed an attack, would have won the previous turn if he hadn't.

Edit, also I'm not the best miracles player but would have fought the past in flames instead of double surgical. Snapping and flusterstorming the past in flames would have eaten 5 mana, leaving the guy one left. If he paid it all you can fluster it again, if he lets it go he would have had to tap out for the tendrils and you could flusterstorm for 7 allowing only 1 to go through. Lethal swing next turn. Or am I missing something here? I felt past in flames was where the fight would happen considering he and 2 ways to stop it or tendrils.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 12, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Local player Ray Cornely is in top 8 for GP Columbus.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Top 4ed a PPTQ today and my friend won it, so a pretty good day all round

I had to play against mono-U round one though which was awful

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 12, 2016

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Miracles player punted when he missed an attack, would have won the previous turn if he hadn't.

Edit, also I'm not the best miracles player but would have fought the past in flames instead of double surgical. Snapping and flusterstorming the past in flames would have eaten 5 mana, leaving the guy one left. If he paid it all you can fluster it again, if he lets it go he would have had to tap out for the tendrils and you could flusterstorm for 7 allowing only 1 to go through. Lethal swing next turn. Or am I missing something here? I felt past in flames was where the fight would happen considering he and 2 ways to stop it or tendrils.

Sick play by Rodrigo, but yeah I think the miracles player could have played it better. As a current storm player, I would be way more worried about not resolving PIF than about trying to find mana in that position. I feel like flusterstorm and then snapcaster -> flusterstorm the PIF flashback would have been a better line. I'd even do something like flusterstorm and then surgical the PIF in response to him doing anything but flashing it back right away. I think the way he played was fine though. I've been on both ends of that match and it's not easy trying to figure out all of these lines in the middle of it all, let alone at a GP Final.

RoflcopterPilot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 12, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Newish player at my LGS passed me a Foil Sneak Attack today in draft cause he didn't know how much it was worth... Not what you want.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
They might have been drafting to have fun, it's not a foreign concept.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Foreskin Problems posted:

Nah I asked him afterwards and he didn't know how much it was worth.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Foreskin Problems posted:

Sneak Attack is fun!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

Sneak Attack is fun!

It's pretty bad in limited. I didn't play it and I was in red.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Newish player at my LGS passed me a Foil Sneak Attack today in draft cause he didn't know how much it was worth... Not what you want.

Did you give it to him after it was over?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

notbrant posted:

Did you give it to him after it was over?

No, I thought about it but I didn't. If he would've asked me for it i probably would have. I did scoop him into top 4 though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Johnny Landmine posted:

Geez, what was his pick?

I forgot to ask him. if I see him tonight I will.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

No, I thought about it but I didn't. If he would've asked me for it i probably would have. I did scoop him into top 4 though.

Jerk. No one is going to ask you for a card back that they hosed up and passed to you. It would be too embarrassing. You should have offered it back to him and see if he declined.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey guys some idiot kid have me 50 bucks because he didn't know which bill was which. Don't worry though, I got him ice cream afterwards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why is someone so new they don't know poo poo even doing ana event that likely cost $30-50. Just steer them to something more appropriate

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Hey guys some idiot kid have me 50 bucks because he didn't know which bill was which. Don't worry though, I got him ice cream afterwards.

It wasn't a kid. If it was I would've given it to them. It was a guy who was probably in his 30s.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why is someone so new they don't know poo poo even doing ana event that likely cost $30-50. Just steer them to something more appropriate

Eternal Masters draft is a honeypot for new players. They're excited about the fancy set and the chance at opening cards they know are worth money like Force of Will and Mana Crypt, but how many of them know that a foil Pyroblast is more than a bulk foil uncommon, for instance?

Actually on further consideration I agree that someone who'd pass a foil mythic rare shouldn't be drafting a premium set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

Actually on further consideration I agree that someone who'd pass a foil mythic rare shouldn't be drafting a premium set.

During a Modern Masters draft I passed a Progenitus to someone because my pack had Skeletal Vampire in it. I had been playing for about a year.

He then thanked me for the free 10 bucks.

I then opened and picked Tarmogoyf Pack 2 and a Foil Arcbound Ravager Pack 3. I thanked him for reminding me this set had money in it and I should be picking what looks like a valuable rare instead of draft bombs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

During a Modern Masters draft I passed a Progenitus to someone because my pack had Skeletal Vampire in it. I had been playing for about a year.

He then thanked me for the free 10 bucks.

I then opened and picked Tarmogoyf Pack 2 and a Foil Arcbound Ravager Pack 3. I thanked him for reminding me this set had money in it and I should be picking what looks like a valuable rare instead of draft bombs.

Counterpoint: Skeletal Vampire is extremely good.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jerk. No one is going to ask you for a card back that they hosed up and passed to you. It would be too embarrassing. You should have offered it back to him and see if he declined.

Why should he give the card back?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Taking advantage of someone's ignorance (in this case a new player who almost certainly had no idea of the value of said card) generally makes most people feel even a little bit guilty and is generally not something to brag about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Taking advantage of someone's ignorance generally makes most people feel even a little bit guilty and is generally not something to brag about.

What makes you think I'm bragging?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shadow225 posted:

To resolve the foil goyf thing once and for all it is against the rules to draft for winning. Only draft for $ value at all times. If someone passes a valuable card you must tell them they have or face a disqualification (regular REL) or lifetime suspension (comp REL).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

What makes you think I'm bragging?
Because I can read?

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic posted:

Nah I asked him afterwards and he didn't know how much it was worth.

mcmagic posted:

These basically reads like a cautionary tale of bragging. "Hey guys I hope everyone knows what stuff is worth or you'll be passing things to me!"

E: For the record it's not that you did it - everyone posting here would have done it and there's a guarantee - it's that you know he's a new player and know he didn't know the value of a card, but assuaged your conscience with "Don't worry though I scooped him into top 4" like that somehow makes things all better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shadow225 posted:

Because taking advantage of someone's ignorance is a dick move. I guess if you are a poo poo person and just decided "gently caress that noob" then it's quite possible you would keep the card. But not being a giant douche I would have at least offered it back at the end of the tournament and welcome him to the community.

Of course I don't give much of a poo poo about foil cards so I may have a different outlook, but realistically I would have immediately called our judge/to and had her ask the guy if he wanted to take his pick back because he passed a fifty dollar bill. It happened to me in modern masters where some kid passed me a foil doubling season and I made sure he knew what he was doing by calling the judge. He decided to take it back once he knew the dollar value and I had no problem with that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: Skeletal Vampire is extremely good.

This was back when drafting was my main magic fix because I didn't have standard decks, and I was able to evaluate cards based on their limited viability.

Granted I also looked at Progenitus and thought it wasn't anything spectacular. Because it really isn't unless you're playing EDH or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My luck streak ended during my MM15 draft. Did pull a Dark Confidant though and got to play Affinity. Also dropped by Walmart on the way home to finally pick up a binder for trades and saw a $30 foil Hypersonic Dragon sitting in one of those $20 clear old card thingies they sell that come with a deck and two 6-card boosters.

Decent day all told.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm fairly new didn't know poo poo about EMA other than "DRAFT MANA CRYPT, FOW, etc." and what I heard on Limited Resources, and I won my draft yesterday :colbert:

I can afford it, and I figured I might regret not drafting it in the future knowing I had the chance to. And it was fun!

I did pass a Sylvan Library and the dude I passed it to acted like it was a big deal. $16? Eh, I'd rather try to win. Also, I have this JtMS now, and that's neat.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Granted I also looked at Progenitus and thought it wasn't anything spectacular. Because it really isn't unless you're playing EDH or something.

Progenitus saw quite a bit of Legacy play in decks like NO Bant or I think pre-AVR Show and Tell

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Soul Glo posted:

My luck streak ended during my MM15 draft. Did pull a Dark Confidant though and got to play Affinity. Also dropped by Walmart on the way home to finally pick up a binder for trades and saw a $30 foil Hypersonic Dragon sitting in one of those $20 clear old card thingies they sell that come with a deck and two 6-card boosters.

Hypersonic Dragon? The one from RTR? This Hypersonic Dragon?

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I'm pissed as hell because the foil Westvale Abbey I drafted on MTGO is worth less on buylist than the non-foil version.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mcmagic is a dipshit and its fun to cyber bully him but this is a pretty dumb thing to get butthurt about. I wouldn't have given it to the guy either.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Because taking advantage of someone's ignorance is a dick move. I guess if you are a poo poo person and just decided "gently caress that noob" then it's quite possible you would keep the card. But not being a giant douche I would have at least offered it back at the end of the tournament and welcome him to the community.

Of course I don't give much of a poo poo about foil cards so I may have a different outlook, but realistically I would have immediately called our judge/to and had her ask the guy if he wanted to take his pick back because he passed a fifty dollar bill. It happened to me in modern masters where some kid passed me a foil doubling season and I made sure he knew what he was doing by calling the judge. He decided to take it back once he knew the dollar value and I had no problem with that.

Are we ignoring the part where the mcmagic scooped him into top 4? The player isn't a first timer here; the deck, including the pick over the foil sneak attack, was good enough to make top 4 and (probably) win more packs.

Furthermore, the player, no matter how new, isn't entitled to the card. He passed it, fairly, in a draft. It isn't like mcmagic sharked him out of the card in a trade. He just played the game. It is unreasonable to expect him to stop the draft because he got passed money. It's a nice gesture that you did it, but that doesn't make him a 'poo poo person' for drafting normally? If mcmagic didn't ask him after the draft, it would have been reasonable to assume that the card taken was worth even more. I passed fun stuff like foil Remand in MM15, but I opened Dark Confidant and foil Emrakul.

Tldr: should have rare redrafted

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Judd Stackington posted:

I'm pissed as hell because the foil Westvale Abbey I drafted on MTGO is worth less on buylist than the non-foil version.

Nothing on MTGO is worth anything other than fetchlands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Judd Stackington posted:

Because it's a lot harder to get playsets of foil everything for a set than a regular set of everything.

For redemption purposes, of course.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

Angry Grimace posted:

Nothing on MTGO is worth anything other than fetchlands.

It's a 0.3tix difference but it still feels bad.

Count Bleck posted:

Because it's a lot harder to get playsets of foil everything for a set than a regular set of everything.

For redemption purposes, of course.

That makes a bunch of sense, the best explanation I had is that the foil look on MTGO is kinda ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Some Numbers posted:

Hypersonic Dragon? The one from RTR? This Hypersonic Dragon?

:lol: Amazon sellers got me on that one. It's still going in my Izzet Commander deck :toot:

• Locked thread