Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder how many internet nerds will complain when 1080Ti is released with GDDR5X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder how many internet nerds will complain when 1080Ti is released with GDDR5X.
a little grumbling, money still flying out of their wallets afterwards

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

:stoke::suicide:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

it will come out with HBM but only for the founder's edition and only 20 units per day until 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nothing, nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING is too stupid for AMD marketing

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

nothing, nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING is too stupid for AMD marketing

Yeah... I was cringing through that whole article, and those lame ads at the end... :sigh:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
AMD being able to lower the barrier to entry of high-end 1080p/VR is more important than nvidia being able to cater to the 2% of people looking to game at 4k IMO.

With nvidia locking out researchers from the benefits of consumer cards this is also a good opportunity for AMD to creep in on that market as well. It's not the competition that we wanted but it's not a complete disappointment, I guess.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 12, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would they complain about that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Because everyone's been expecting stacks of HBM all over the 1080Ti and New!Titan, through nothing but unsubstantiated rumours. And we all know how much angry internet nerds love latching onto rumours that swing in their favour.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

how will the 980ti 1080ti possibly compete with the fury x vega without the unstoppable power of hbm hbm2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huh. I didn't even know what HBM was.

Actually, is there a reason they're not putting it in their consumer graphics cards?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Naffer posted:

If the 480 turns out to be really similar to the 970, would it be worth getting the 8GB version? Is the 970 constrained by ram at 1080p or 1440p?

Honestly I've never even noticed being constrained with the 3 GB on a 780 Ti, running at 1440p high or 4K medium.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phlegmish posted:

Huh. I didn't even know what HBM was.

Actually, is there a reason they're not putting it in their consumer graphics cards?

Because they'd cost as much as a new car. The Fury didn't come in an 8GB version for a reason.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 12, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because they'd cost as much as a new car.

Isn't AMD already doing it, though?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, Fury and Fury X.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phlegmish posted:

The Fury only came with 4GB of HBM1. HBM2 is far more expensive.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what kind of gpu is going to be in the new ps4 and xbox that does 4k? Im assuming it wont be at 60fps. It would be funny if the new consoles finally give us the 1080p 60fps that they have been promising us they had for years

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fauxtool posted:

what kind of gpu is going to be in the new ps4 and xbox that does 4k? Im assuming it wont be at 60fps. It would be funny if the new consoles finally give us the 1080p 60fps that they have been promising us they had for years

From what I've read, the odds are that it's Polaris 10.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

From what I've read, the odds are that it's Polaris 10.

the chips in the current-gen consoles are all custom, to various degrees, so i would be surprised if it's truly an off-the-shelf polaris

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wicka posted:

the chips in the current-gen consoles are all custom, to various degrees, so i would be surprised if it's truly an off-the-shelf polaris

It's very doubtful to be honest. At best, it looks like a custom Excavator+ and a drop in replacement of the 28nm 20CU it had for 14nm 36CU, latest rumors. I don't think it's explicitly Polaris 10, even if they're related.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So goons, does this sound like a decent plan (nb: I'm in Australia, so prices for a 1080 are about $1200 and a 1070 $800)? Essentially I want to game on w 34" ultra wide and I'm thinking if I do it this way, I'll be able to buy the Freesync version (XR341CK Freesync v X34 Gsync) and save about $300 from that. I would note that I don't really have a budget (I.e it's essentially whatever, but I still appreciate price:performance)

- Wait for 480 to be released, buy an 8GB version for approximately $400
- Buy Freesync monitor as above
- Wait for AMD's big chips to be released at the end of this year, hopefully around that time the 1080TI will be out and then make a decision on which is going to give better performance. My thinking is even if the 1080TI is better in performance, it will be more than enough to run games smoothly on the monitor? Plus, I remember people getting burned by buying 980's when the 980TI's were much better for a similar price point.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Snagged a blower 1080 for $530. Dunno about OC headroom, but seemed like a pretty killer deal.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Apparently the whole supposed leak of an MSI Lightning RX480 is blowing up. For one, apparently it's an adhoc mod and not a Lightning model, because the leaker thinks he isn't breaking NDA by not using the official cooler. The leaker was called on falsifying, promptly began uploading videos of the entire process from driver install, benchmark to benchmark upload (apparently has two cards, 4GB and 8GB model, 4GB is 1080Mhz core and 8GB is 1266Mhz core - 4GB scores ~3100 and 8GB scores ~3500).

I'd call bullshit but apparently, AMD is in the midst of trying to track the guy down and is asking for takedowns and closing of threads. Either this is a hilarious leak, intentional bait, or a weird marketing stunt, I wouldn't put it past AMD at all.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh no someone on the internet could create a little buzz around our product, better shut that down with a quickness!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD marketing! laugh track

:downsgun:

FaustianQ posted:

Apparently the whole supposed leak of an MSI Lightning RX480 is blowing up. For one, apparently it's an adhoc mod and not a Lightning model, because the leaker thinks he isn't breaking NDA by not using the official cooler. The leaker was called on falsifying, promptly began uploading videos of the entire process from driver install, benchmark to benchmark upload (apparently has two cards, 4GB and 8GB model, 4GB is 1080Mhz core and 8GB is 1266Mhz core - 4GB scores ~3100 and 8GB scores ~3500).

I'd call bullshit but apparently, AMD is in the midst of trying to track the guy down and is asking for takedowns and closing of threads. Either this is a hilarious leak, intentional bait, or a weird marketing stunt, I wouldn't put it past AMD at all.
These aren't embarrassing results--they're pretty much what everyone expected, which is why the reaction by AMD is so mystifying

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Guni posted:

So goons, does this sound like a decent plan (nb: I'm in Australia, so prices for a 1080 are about $1200 and a 1070 $800)? Essentially I want to game on w 34" ultra wide and I'm thinking if I do it this way, I'll be able to buy the Freesync version (XR341CK Freesync v X34 Gsync) and save about $300 from that. I would note that I don't really have a budget (I.e it's essentially whatever, but I still appreciate price:performance)

- Wait for AMD's big chips to be released at the end of this year, hopefully around that time the 1080TI will be out and then make a decision on which is going to give better performance. My thinking is even if the 1080TI is better in performance, it will be more than enough to run games smoothly on the monitor? Plus, I remember people getting burned by buying 980's when the 980TI's were much better for a similar price point.

That seems like a good plan, the 480 will not get you 60 FPS on a monitor with that resolution but with Freesync it should feel smooth as long as the frame rate stays in the Freesync range of 30Hz-75Hz, so anything below 30 FPS would be bad.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Snagged a blower 1080 for $530. Dunno about OC headroom, but seemed like a pretty killer deal.

Where was this?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FaintlyQuaint posted:

:frogon:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FaintlyQuaint posted:

How did you get a 1080 for only $530? :stare:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
A 25% off coupon thing from Nvidia's store.

I got it in an email a few weeks ago for buying lots of quadro cards and totally forgot about it until today.

Edit: To be totally honest I did not expect it to work on the order, but it did so I'm gonna take it and run basically.

vvvv

The shield or its accessories or the older cards? Wasn't sure the newest items would be available.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

FaintlyQuaint posted:

A 25% off coupon thing from Nvidia's store.

I got it in an email a few weeks ago for buying lots of quadro cards and totally forgot about it until today.

Edit: To be totally honest I did not expect it to work on the order, but it did so I'm gonna take it and run basically.

If it didn't work on a video card, what would it work on?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

If it didn't work on a video card, what would it work on?

Shield stuff? Fancy SLi bridges?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'd guess it's more Geforce vs. Quadro.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Oh man this takes me back. After that I had a 3D Prophet 2 MX (a GeForce 2 MX440)

From the era of badly rendered objects, before we progressed to badly rendered bikini babes. What a time to be alive.

I'm glad I chose to wait for the aftermarket 1070. I'll give it a month or 2 to settle down then look at how the process stack up locally (AU pricing seems to be on track to make the aftermarket 1070s about AUD$650) vs buying it from NewEgg with local shipping (or even from overseas with cheap shipping) which'll probably knock $50-$100 more off it.

Til then I'll just use my 560Ti and deal with it. Let's face it: all I'll be doing is playing more Dota and CSGO anyway.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You will all be able to get $530 1080's once the 1080ti launches in q4

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ItBurns posted:

With nvidia locking out researchers from the benefits of consumer cards this is also a good opportunity for AMD to creep in on that market as well. It's not the competition that we wanted but it's not a complete disappointment, I guess.

I don't understand what this means

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hubis posted:

I don't understand what this means

Nvidia uses the same gpus in quadro and geforce cards. Geforce cards have things locked out so people buy quadro cards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

they also remove a parity processor

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Guni posted:

That's basically my current operating plan. It should work pretty well at keeping prices less unreasonable, especially if you flip the 480 decently, and the big AMD card or 1080 Ti (if it's ~15% more powerful or more I'd consider it over Freesync) is going to be a good step up over the 1080, although it will mean a wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Guni posted:

Except the 480 8gb is going to be around 240?