Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My facebook feed has been eerily silent on this. Not even a token "thoughts and prayers" bit. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

you should probably not cut that part out
That's why I said "somewhat"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gail Wynand posted:

That's why I said "somewhat"

you still should not cut that part out. if you're going to acknowledge it, don't omit it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lizardman posted:

My facebook feed has been eerily silent on this. Not even a token "thoughts and prayers" bit. Yikes.

Thoughts and prayers aren't for the gays, when it comes right down to it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Thoughts and prayers aren't for the gays, when it comes right down to it

There are undoubtedly a fair number of people who thought about ISIS killing a bunch of gays and are genuinely nonplussed as to how to react.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/742171133747855360

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
So here's something that I haven't seen much discussion of, but seems to be pretty important if true. Here's CNN's timeline of the shooting:

quote:

Sunday, 2:02 a.m. ET: Shooting erupts at Pulse, a gay nightclub in the heart of Orlando, as some 320 people enjoy the club's "Latin flavor" event.

An officer working extra duty in full uniform at the club responds.
He and two officers nearby open fire on the shooter, and a gun battle ensues.

The shooter goes inside the club, where a hostage situation develops.
Some 100 officers from the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the Orlando Police Department respond to the chaotic scene.

2:09 a.m. ET: Pulse posts an urgent message on Facebook: "Everyone get out of Pulse and keep running."
A tense standoff follows. Police say they had to wait three hours to access the situation, get armored vehicles on the scene and make sure they had enough personnel.

Approximately 2:22 a.m. ET: Shooter calls 911 to pledge allegiance to ISIS. He also mentions the Boston Marathon bombers.

3:58 a.m. ET: A post on Orlando Police Department's official Twitter account says: "Shooting at Pulse Nightclub on S Orange. Multiple injuries. Stay away from area."
Approximately 5 a.m. ET: Heavily armed SWAT team members use an armored vehicle to smash down a door at the club, clearing the way for some 30 people inside to flee to safety.
SWAT officers confront the suspect in the doorway, shoot and kill him.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the police left this guy alone inside the club for 3 hours even though 3 police officers were on the scene from minute 1, and about 100 officers were on the scene within a couple of minutes.

So, did the shooter stop killing people for 3 hours, or were the cops just incredibly incompetent?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

INH5 posted:

So here's something that I haven't seen much discussion of, but seems to be pretty important if true. Here's CNN's timeline of the shooting:

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the police left this guy alone inside the club for 3 hours even though 3 police officers were on the scene from minute 1, and about 100 officers were on the scene within a couple of minutes.

So, did the shooter stop killing people for 3 hours, or were the cops just incredibly incompetent?

sending dudes who are not trained for it into a situation where you don't know where the shooter is, how many hostages he has, etc, is a real fuckin bad idea

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wait if there were good guys with guns on the scene how did anything bad happen at all? Especially if it was 3 of them versus just 1 guy??????

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Wait if there were good guys with guns on the scene how did anything bad happen at all? Especially if it was 3 of them versus just 1 guy??????

Who knew that armed guys were actually giant scared babies

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
as a gay person, it's actually nauseating to see social conservative politicians tweeting condolences for this, as if the death of homosexuals on a massive scale is not what all anti-gay marriage laws or legalization of religious denial of service or bathroom bills are all gunning towards. I know that sounds a bit Wacky Gay Extremist, but I don't know what else I'm supposed to call stripping LGBT provisions from hate crime statutes. denying us the right to equal protection under the law either drives us back into the closet so we don't exist in mainstream society, therefore erasing us from public consciousness, or it legalizes our murders. Omar Mateen is a sickening monster who skipped the pretense and the middleman. I don't know why the fact of his violent homophobia is considered so radically different than that of the legislators signing away my human rights.

Speaking purely for myself as a gay person: I'm not more afraid of ISIS, or not much more afraid, than I am of the people in Congress legislating against my right to exist. I can't do poo poo about ISIS. I can do poo poo about the bigoted state senator up for election in November. None of the straight allies in my life can do poo poo about ISIS, yet they're focusing on decrying ISIS rather than taking concrete, tangible actions to make life immediately better for the American LGBT community. It's easy to blame everything on ISIS because, since no one can do poo poo about ISIS, no one has to do anything real.

I had a rather bitter fight with a straight acquaintance who writes a weekly column for the local. He wanted his commentary to focus on the dangers of radical Islam. I told him that was obviously a good thing to mention in this context, but he should devote the majority of his column inches to exposing the local politicians who have similarly repugnant views on homosexuality. He told me I wasn't focusing on the right enemy.

It's exhausting that this futile rage for the ISIS deathcult will consume the narrative, will allow social conservatives to hijack the grief of the LGBT community, will prevent any real change.

anyways, this person has been tweeting the names of the homophobic politicians expressing their condolences, if you want to know how to make an actual difference.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

edrith posted:

as a gay person, it's actually nauseating to see social conservative politicians tweeting condolences for this, as if the death of homosexuals on a massive scale is not what all anti-gay marriage laws or legalization of religious denial of service or bathroom bills are all gunning towards. I know that sounds a bit Wacky Gay Extremist, but I don't know what else I'm supposed to call stripping LGBT provisions from hate crime statutes. denying us the right to equal protection under the law either drives us back into the closet so we don't exist in mainstream society, therefore erasing us from public consciousness, or it legalizes our murders. Omar Mateen is a sickening monster who skipped the pretense and the middleman. I don't know why the fact of his violent homophobia is considered so radically different than that of the legislators signing away my human rights.

As a trans woman, I agree with every word of this. The only words I want to hear from those guys is "we're sorry for our part in this, and we won't be proceeding with these laws".

It doesn't sound Wacky Gay Extremist at all, but 100% rational.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only solution to this garbage is to ban assault weaponry outright. Not even the police should have access to that caliber of weaponry. Its completely unnecessary.

But that's never gonna loving happen now is it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Isn't it interesting how not a single one of those retweets mentions anything at all about LGBT people, and avoids any detail about the event to include anything that could paint it as gay

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Cabbit posted:

Why are you putting scare quotes around intersectional?

Because it's an obscure term of the type which people use to sound sophisticated when other well-known expressions are just as good. It's like "utilize" instead of "use".

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You apparently didn't actually read his original post past the phrase you hated, rear end in a top hat.

You guessed wrong. It was a four lines long run-on sentence with gems like "that you aim your the energy you're spending spreading more hate towards increasing acceptance of the LGBT community" (emphasis mine) which, even given a benevolent reading, boiled down to diluting and diverting the discussion based on that person speaking for a group. The repeated emphasis on belong to a group was as unwarranted as that argument.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Internet Kraken posted:

The only solution to this garbage is to ban assault weaponry outright. Not even the police should have access to that caliber of weaponry. Its completely unnecessary.

But that's never gonna loving happen now is it?

Nope, because thanks to a 2004 study, "the [Assault Weapon] ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban." And another study showed it decreased the number of gun shows by 20%. And we can't have that.

So now, even though this is now demonstrably false (this case, Sandy Hook, etc.), it's part of the narrative, and Republicans cannot ever look back. Until Democrats have a pro-gun-control majority in both the House and the Senate, we aren't ever getting another assault weapons ban.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

edrith posted:

Speaking purely for myself as a gay person: I'm not more afraid of ISIS, or not much more afraid, than I am of the people in Congress legislating against my right to exist. I can't do poo poo about ISIS. I can do poo poo about the bigoted state senator up for election in November. None of the straight allies in my life can do poo poo about ISIS, yet they're focusing on decrying ISIS rather than taking concrete, tangible actions to make life immediately better for the American LGBT community. It's easy to blame everything on ISIS because, since no one can do poo poo about ISIS, no one has to do anything real.

I had a rather bitter fight with a straight acquaintance who writes a weekly column for the local. He wanted his commentary to focus on the dangers of radical Islam. I told him that was obviously a good thing to mention in this context, but he should devote the majority of his column inches to exposing the local politicians who have similarly repugnant views on homosexuality. He told me I wasn't focusing on the right enemy.

It's exhausting that this futile rage for the ISIS deathcult will consume the narrative, will allow social conservatives to hijack the grief of the LGBT community, will prevent any real change.

anyways, this person has been tweeting the names of the homophobic politicians expressing their condolences, if you want to know how to make an actual difference.

Also, if you don't mind, I'm going to steal all or part of this to share on my own social media sphere, because it better encapsulates the sentiment I'd like to put out there than I have thus far been able to.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Isn't it interesting how not a single one of those retweets mentions anything at all about LGBT people, and avoids any detail about the event to include anything that could paint it as gay

Slate has unsurprisingly called this out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In better news Ken Burns is a pretty cool dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8zCQ4YnZ8

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Also, if you don't mind, I'm going to steal all or part of this to share on my own social media sphere, because it better encapsulates the sentiment I'd like to put out there than I have thus far been able to.

Go ahead. Hope it helps.

I posted a similar sentiment on tumblr and ran into Orlando Truthers. They exist already. The internet is amazing, by which I mean I hope it burns to the ground.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

radical meme posted:

You know the fact is, every time one of these mass shootings happens now, I start saying a little prayer; please don't let the shooter be black, please don't let the shooter be muslim, please don't let it be somebody that the police or FBI or any other law enforcement ever had on their radar, and finally please let it be some crazy white militia, oath keeper type. Because if it's anybody other than a white militia, oath keeper that was never on anyone's radar, then it destroys any hope of ever having a legitimate, honest conversation about guns in the U.S. gently caress this guy and his loving crazy father and I hope they both burn in hell for all eternity.

gently caress you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

edrith posted:

Go ahead. Hope it helps.

I posted a similar sentiment on tumblr and ran into Orlando Truthers. They exist already. The internet is amazing, by which I mean I hope it burns to the ground.

Thanks, so far I've drafted things to the effect of, "I'm pretty sure LGBT people are aware that fundamentalist religious sects are a danger they face, but if you want to make some good of this tragedy then I think the best thing you can do is analyze your own life, beliefs, and community and find what you share with these extremists so that you can eliminate it" but I felt like it left too many bases uncovered, and didn't bring up enough of the hypocrisy I've been seeing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was corrected that this wasn't the biggest shooting in American history, that was wounded knee.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

greatn posted:

I was corrected that this wasn't the biggest shooting in American history, that was wounded knee.

More people died at Blair Mountain too, but there were airplane bombs involved there.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Only gun show the us needs is Michelle in a sleeveless top.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So Trump has clarified what his speech tomorrow is going to be about. It's going to focus specifically on "radical Islam"

Oh boy

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

greatn posted:

wounded knee was a genocidal war crime. this was a single-shooter massacre. both disgusting and traumatizing, but the "Well actually Wounded Knee :smug: " grosses me out. I'm not seeing the "Reminder, Wounded Knee was the biggest shooting in American history" sentiment coming from, say, Native Americans. I'm seeing it from smug heterosexual assholes who find it somehow proper to use the bodies of genocide victims to bludgeon those mourning a hate crime.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Nope, because thanks to a 2004 study, "the [Assault Weapon] ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban." And another study showed it decreased the number of gun shows by 20%. And we can't have that.

So now, even though this is now demonstrably false (this case, Sandy Hook, etc.), it's part of the narrative, and Republicans cannot ever look back. Until Democrats have a pro-gun-control majority in both the House and the Senate, we aren't ever getting another assault weapons ban.

This is categorically false

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Someone here said that Marco Rubio had some hot takes about the shooting. You guys got pics?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it is pretty amazing watching right wingers cry hot salty tears about radical islam, pretending they even gave a poo poo about LGBT folks in the first place, while they aren't willing or capable of being honest and confronting the real fact of male-dominated, masculinist violence in the united states

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
More reports are coming out indicating that the shooter had shown signs of instability and violence for a long time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Trump has clarified what his speech tomorrow is going to be about. It's going to focus specifically on "radical Islam"

Oh boy

It's okay, the Republican party never wanted Muslims' votes anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's going to be funny seeing Republicans completely ignore their standard talking point about how the mass shooter was mentally disturbed and that was the biggest contributor to what happened.

And by funny I mean I want to kill myself

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

edrith posted:

wounded knee was a genocidal war crime. this was a single-shooter massacre. both disgusting and traumatizing, but the "Well actually Wounded Knee :smug: " grosses me out. I'm not seeing the "Reminder, Wounded Knee was the biggest shooting in American history" sentiment coming from, say, Native Americans. I'm seeing it from smug heterosexual assholes who find it somehow proper to use the bodies of genocide victims to bludgeon those mourning a hate crime.

Actually I got the correction from a noted black gay feminist of all places.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's going to be funny seeing Republicans completely ignore their standard talking point about how the mass shooter was mentally disturbed and that was the biggest contributor to what happened.

And by funny I mean I want to kill myself

Well adjusted, happy people rarely go on murder sprees

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKk4Cq56d1Y

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is pretty amazing watching right wingers cry hot salty tears about radical islam, pretending they even gave a poo poo about LGBT folks in the first place, while they aren't willing or capable of being honest and confronting the real fact of male-dominated, masculinist violence in the united states

They aren't even pretending to give a poo poo about LGBT issues though, everything they've said that I can find has been thoroughly washed of any reference to anything LGBT

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm pretty confident even if someone doesn't want to allow gay marriage or adoption they don't want to see gay people murdered in the vast majority of cases.

I'm very confident Rubio and sons are genuine in their condolences.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 13, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty confident even if someone doesn't want to allow Gary marriage or adoption they don't want to see gay people murdered in the vast majority of cases.

gently caress Gary, though.

But no, people like Rubio literally create the environment where homophobia is allowed to fester and rot into violence, if he feels genuine sadness it doesn't matter in the same way that I kinda don't care if a dude who ran the Nazi propaganda department genuinely felt sad that Jews died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty confident even if someone doesn't want to allow Gary marriage or adoption they don't want to see gay people murdered in the vast majority of cases.

oh yeah i'm not saying that most republicans or right wingers want to murder gays, that's just a smaller faction of the right wing coalition who would prefer gay death

i'm just saying that they usually don't give a poo poo about LGBT issues. rubio was talking about how to reverse obgerfell not even six months ago. so it's pretty cowardly to carry the banner of anti-homophobia so long as you can use it to complain about muslims

• Locked thread