Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I installed spoiler risers on my Fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It looks alot more... Erect. :dong:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look right when it isn't flush. A bigger spoiler might look nice, but this just looks odd to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Yeah! I got it from the same website as the steering wheel, and it was "custom" ordered to my specifications, I had to wait 6 weeks to get it.

I fuckin love this!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Raced it legally on the ringroad circuit a mile from my house multiple times under the pretence it was part of a Motofest parade lap (x5) that just ended up with friends and myself being allowed to fang it. Police were in attendance too, it was pretty great!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Suspension, door and 3rd ECU into the future chumpcar. It got raised up after the pictures.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I did a lot today - 4 hours serving coffee this morning, came home and did 3 hours of mowing, trimming and relocating shrubs. Then decided to strip and do a full detail on my Regal. Car looks great, I feel like poo poo. I'll follow up with pictures of the car tomorrow. Speaking of which, I have a 7am appt at the dealer for its 12k maintenance. Car has been dead reliable, dealership has better workspaces than my office and a good snack bar. They'll have the car done in under 90 minutes, but I'll probably just hang out until lunch and mooch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I replaced the TPS on my comanche three times swapping between two different bad spares and not only did I not fix anything, it now idles at 2k rpm no matter what because RENIX fuel injection is hot wet trash.

Throwing tools and calling it everything except an upstanding functional automobile didn't fix it but it sure did make me feel better. gently caress that thing, it's parked till next weekend when another new TPS arrives.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Took advantage of a Lowe's sale on pavers last week to get my '79 RX-7 out of the mud. It involved dragging the thing into the sunlight for the first time since 2008 or so. I had to trim that damned tree I let get big to get the right-hand gate to open far enough.

There will be a walkway extending to the shed
Then I moved the other RX-7 up to clean up it's parking spot a bit, and lay out pavers for the tires to sit on as well (not done yet - ran out of Sunday and stamina.)

(I really should buy a winch)

Cage posted:

Yeah! I got it from the same website as the steering wheel, and it was "custom" ordered to my specifications, I had to wait 6 weeks to get it.

If you don't care about the pony on the side, you don't have to wait 6 weeks:
http://stores.ebay.com/autostarsoutlet/Shift-Knobs-/_i.html?_fsub=3521856012&_dmd=2&_nkw=rally+stripe

I got a plain white 5-speed one for my Cherokee, because I hated the stock square rubber shift knob. These are made the same way as billiard balls.

edit: to be fair, the black with blue stripe seems to be rare.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

New tires.

Wasn't ready to drop the money on them since I'm moving next week, but running over part of a box spring last night forced my hand. Since I was already stuck buying 2, I figured I'd go ahead and do all 4. The best tire was at 5/32, the rest were all below 3/32.

$350 later (thank gently caress for road hazard certificates, it would have been closer to $500 otherwise)...

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is there an emote called :britishleyland: cause that's been me the past four hours

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took care of the one cosmetic issue on the Prelude today.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I washed it.

It's already dirty again :(

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Increased to boost to ~1 bar and took her to run some errands today. Good day. Next on the list is rally tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nothing exciting, I installed a remote start that works with my factory remote. Click lock 3x and it fires up, 3x again to shut it off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nothing, yet! Hit the yard for parts to fuel inject my pickup and bigger calipers for the race Celica.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I enjoyed the fruit of my labor and used my freshly fixed up blasting cabinet to clean up the lower shrouds for my Corvair. I'll blast all the engine tins like this, then spend a weekend blasting them to white metal and painting them with some HOK epoxy. Life is good.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Grinded the lobes off of my distributor to allow it to accept a duraspark reluctor. There's no turning back now, electronic ignition is the future.

Now I wait for parts and a long stretch of free time. The new fuel lines are at least an all day experience, another for the wiring and mounting the goods, then one more full day for the details I hope.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I started out intending to replace the steering intermediate shaft in the Forester and had to drop the steering column to do that, which meant I had to remove the horribly bodged dealer-installed alarm/remote start that has been arbitrarily locking all the doors and blinking the 4-ways every few weeks to every few months for my entire ownership period. I never had the remote fobs for it so this is absolutely no loss.

A loving doorbell button tek-screwed to my coin drawer are you loving serious what in the utter metric gently caress

Again, this was dealer installed

It's even official subaru authentic equipment, too bad it was installed by an incompetent baboon

At least it was an official subaru one so there was no wiring harness butchery, it just plugged in between two connectors for the ignition switch and attached to an otherwise unused connector for the lock/unlock/lamp signals.

Also replaced the intermediate shaft I went in after in the first place, which had one dodgy ujoint and one entirely seized/notchy ujoint, so it should steer much nicer now. Front struts, balljoints, and the rear diff will have to wait for another day.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

A loving doorbell button tek-screwed to my coin drawer are you loving serious what in the utter metric gently caress
What. The. gently caress.

Why? What did it do?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yesterday, I replaced the plastic breather barb that had snapped off of my front axle with a brass barb. Required tapping that hole :pervert:. I also used this opportunity to put a lubelocker on, since I flushed the poo poo out of that differential, used a whole can of brake cleaner.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

I replaced the TPS on my comanche three times swapping between two different bad spares and not only did I not fix anything, it now idles at 2k rpm no matter what because RENIX fuel injection is hot wet trash.

Throwing tools and calling it everything except an upstanding functional automobile didn't fix it but it sure did make me feel better. gently caress that thing, it's parked till next weekend when another new TPS arrives.

I feel pretty silly offering electrical Jeep advice to the EE who helped me build my own Jeep, but you might try the ground cleanup/improvement suggested by famed greybeard cruiser54. My old renix runs and idles fantastically on a mishmash of cheap sensors after doing those.

I realize you probably plan on tearing it all out and don't wanna waste anymore time on it, but it'd probably take you a fraction of the time it took me.

:shrug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EightBit posted:

Yesterday, I replaced the plastic breather barb that had snapped off of my front axle with a brass barb. Required tapping that hole :pervert:. I also used this opportunity to put a lubelocker on, since I flushed the poo poo out of that differential, used a whole can of brake cleaner.

What axle? I added a brass one to what was an empty hole on a Dana 44 only to find that instead of tapping it I was merely chasing thread.

Does that need a one way valve or anything?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Why? What did it do?
Hahaha, that was my reaction too. It's the alarm-silence/"make my car stop flipping out and let me start the engine again" button.

Really enjoying the car a lot more without the bullshit alarm being a dickhead and also with easy, smooth steering once more. Still needs a lot of work but I'll deal with it whenever I find the motivation.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I feel pretty silly offering electrical Jeep advice to the EE who helped me build my own Jeep, but you might try the ground cleanup/improvement suggested by famed greybeard cruiser54. My old renix runs and idles fantastically on a mishmash of cheap sensors after doing those.

I realize you probably plan on tearing it all out and don't wanna waste anymore time on it, but it'd probably take you a fraction of the time it took me.

:shrug:

I did consider that, since I've recommended it dozens of times and it's fixed a number of people's problems. Back when I was fighting the TPS and CPS issues the first time I inspected the grounds and found them to be sufficient, though. The engine to battery ground is kinda a lovely looking wire but it cranks healthily so it clearly can handle plenty of current, and the ones by the dipstick that are super critical for sensor references and stuff are tight. They're so covered in oil leakage that I know they aren't corroded, and tight enough that I'm not worried about the oil insulating them from the block at all.

I ended up warrantying the sensor (since it had a lifetime warranty, and I kinda want to send them enough bad ones that they improve the seal design so they stop failing) and after adjusting the replacement and waving enough dead chickens over the thing to make the RENIX ECU remember to recalibrate the idle stop position on the IACV, it runs and drives as well as it did before. Still overheats when not moving very fast though, I'm reasonably certain it's the lovely fan clutch that I swapped in from a parts jeep because it was marginally better than the ultra lovely one already on the MJ. So I'm either going to steal the good one off the 91 MJ (since it's a yard truck and glorified 4x4 engine hoist at this point) or just buy another one for 25 bucks on my next rockauto order.

I'm still fighting an odd RENIX issue where the engine will stumble and run like poo poo for 3-5 seconds every 10-50 seconds for the first few minutes of operation. Pretty sure it's an intermittent wire to the CTS or a bad CTS but haven't verified this. Since the issue goes away after a few minutes and the whole pile of garbage RENIX system is probably getting ripped out within the year I'm rather inclined to just live with it until it becomes a constant failure, which is far easier to diagnose anyways :v:

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Installed a Kenwood head unit into the recently acquired 2006 Dodge Ram my dad left me - I would have left the stock unit in, but I wanted hands free calling and the tuner in the stock unit was horrible about blending to mono and rolling off highs at the slightest hint of multipath/interference. Since it has the optional Infinity amplifier, I lost the ability to adjust front to rear, but aside from that everything works perfectly. Lazily routed the mic to the top of the steering wheel since I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the truck or not.

Old vs new:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Didn't DO anything... but did find out that Ford won't cover my timing chain replacement because apparently the intake, exhaust, and turbos were modified?

I knew that the PO put a oil catch can on the intercooler because of all the problems the ecoboost was having with condensation. The exhaust and turbo are news to me though.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Ford has a history of warranty denials on powerstroke trucks, usually with the same excuses, or "somebody put gas/water in the fuel". Good luck with getting it fixed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

StormDrain posted:

What axle? I added a brass one to what was an empty hole on a Dana 44 only to find that instead of tapping it I was merely chasing thread.

Does that need a one way valve or anything?

Dana 30, and the hole was definitely not threaded at first. There's a tube that runs from the factory fitting to the top of the radiator (not into the coolant, just fastened there) that keeps the axle from drawing in water and dust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rdb posted:

Ford has a history of warranty denials on powerstroke trucks, usually with the same excuses, or "somebody put gas/water in the fuel". Good luck with getting it fixed.

Yeah I went back and forth with them for about a month about it. 50,000 miles, 4 weeks past warranty.
Called the dealership and there's no mystery mods on my truck. Called Ford customer service back to confirm that the catch can and intake tract was the only mod on there. Dealership even said that wouldn't have any effect on the timing chain.
Rose from customer service said she "doesn't have the wherewithal to help".

For the record, at this point I was only asking for a timing chain and cam gears. <$200 parts.

I'm gonna pay for the work to be done. Almost $3000.
There's no way I want to risk loving with that high pressure fuel pump.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 17, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm still fighting an odd RENIX issue where the engine will stumble and run like poo poo for 3-5 seconds every 10-50 seconds for the first few minutes of operation. Pretty sure it's an intermittent wire to the CTS or a bad CTS but haven't verified this. Since the issue goes away after a few minutes and the whole pile of garbage RENIX system is probably getting ripped out within the year I'm rather inclined to just live with it until it becomes a constant failure, which is far easier to diagnose anyways :v:

Yeah sounds like a sensor screwing up in open loop. The IAT/MAT/whatever is always filthy to the point of being solidly encased; I cleaned mine up with throttle body cleaner and reinstalled with a dab of thread sealant with good results. Grab some of those neon/etc bosch 706 or 746 injectors at the JY and toss 'em in because they really do smooth out the idle.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 4, 2020

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I put this horrible yellow plate on it and started practising driving manual for the first time in 4 years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nearly wrapped up a duraspark conversion on my International distributor, including a mounting plate for the GM ignition module. I need some miscellaneous screws to finish it.

Pulled a few parts off that I won't need, carb, coil. Added a shunt from the battery to alternator, forgot to disconnect the battery of course.

Then I did some planning for my new fuel lines and hit my head on the mirror and stopped.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Washed my Volvo with dawn and started claying it. I got 3/4 of it done before I was exhausted and threw it back in the garage for the next part.

I threw a new battery in the truck, and it promptly stalled about 20 times whenever going back to idle. Unplugged the MAF, idled fine. Plugged MAF back in, all is well. Guess my fuel trims were way off, not sure how they could have been THAT bad without setting a code.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Last week I sheared the driver mirror off the [yes, new] fiso by parking next to a pole, then forgetting it was there when I backed out. I called the dealership to see what the OEM retail cost was, and with my options it was Five Hundred and Something Something which I don't recall because I tuned out as soon as I heard "Five Hundred."

broken mount, broken mirror sheared off at the hinge

I disassembled it and found that only the core and wiring harness were broken, and took a gamble that I could swap parts with a barebones OEM version. I got a no-blinker, no heated mirror version on ebay for $200 shipped and my hunch was correct.

picture of the wiring at the connector so I'd know what order to replace the pins

And forgive me lord for I have stripped the wires and twisted the ends together, and covered them in electrical tape and then shrink tubing. :smith:

extra side mirror parts and tools

The reassembled mirror on the floor, ready to go in aaand I feel almost whole again.

Not quite whole again because I scuffed the paint on the door and the plastic trim on the running board is cracked :negative:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I bought it!(E: Yesterday actually but today I did the rest)

and then I washed it. and went to town on it with some ultimate compound. and then I waxed it. and then I took a picture!

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why would you do that before the paint has hardened? Unless it's been sitting for a few months...

Edit: autogeek seems to say this is a myth since paint is baked on from the factory, though repaints/body shop work you should wait a bit. Nice car. :)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 22, 2016

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finished my duraspark distributor conversion, including mounting the ignition module and wiring, then dropped it back in to fill the hole. Made a roadkill style list, drained the radiator of coolant, mounted a new O2 sensor, set the adapter plate for the throttle body.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Digital_Jesus posted:

I bought it!(E: Yesterday actually but today I did the rest)

and then I washed it. and went to town on it with some ultimate compound. and then I waxed it. and then I took a picture!

ooh nice. I like the straight line from the hood to the haunches of the new body style. I still haven't driven a 5.0 on this side of the 1995-2010 deadzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bought some new white LED dome lights and some red LED lights for the door/courtesy lights. Now I just have to slowly convert the rest of the lights to LEDs and put some whiter headlights in. Yeah, I've realized I've been a closet ricer all these years. :ohdear: