Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

Harlock posted:

"It's been a while since I had a real sword fight!"

EXT. Castle Walls

Soldier #1: We found 'The Blackfish'

Jamie: Good, bring him to me.

Soldier #1: Yeah, uh, he's dead?

They looked back at the Barristan Selmy death and asked "how can we make this even lamer?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

steakmancer posted:

glad that aryas can bounce back from 3 gut stabs overnight but race-swapped areo hotah dies in 1 immediately in the premiere episode

it's too bad khal drogo didn't have an actress with him or he would still be around

Chomposaur posted:

Oh man, now the kin layer Kingslayer will become the Kinslayer!

he already killed a cousin :(

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Brienne and Pod had to "escape" from their allies in the midst of a peaceful surrender?
There's no guarantee that the Lannisters were going to set them free

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Apoplexy posted:

So are people ready to admit that D&D are hack frauds who were handed a genius 4 seasons by GRRM and then proceeded to start thinking themselves to be the actual talent, get bored, and now are just hitting plot points in a race to finish the series in as few man-hours as possible? HBO wants 8 seasons or more. They were sure they were done with 7 and now are trying to make season 7 13 episodes split into 2 'seasons' to get done as quickly as possible. God do I loving hate what they've done to this show. Scott Buck has nothing on D&D.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

There's no guarantee that the Lannisters were going to set them free

Pod is a lannister squire. He is wearing a lannister uniform....

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

Pod is a lannister squire. He is wearing a lannister uniform....
Brienne's a knight in service of the Starks.

Pod's just wearing whatever's most comfortable for his big dick.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

Brienne's a knight in service of the Starks.

Pod's just wearing whatever's most comfortable for his big dick.

Brianne got an ace up sleeve. The man in love with her controls the army that's going to kill them. Also Pod is literally Lannister, he is distant cousin to Jamie.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Jesus, that was loving weak all around. It's even more weak when you consider 2 seasons have been building up to this poo poo. 2 years of Arya fighting the Waif just for her to be stupid and then not show the final confrontation. I was looking forward to seeing what clever method they would use to show a battle in the dark. Of course that would just be the end of the battle anyway. Before that, there would have to be some back and forth battle, some payoff after making us sit through 2 years of Arya getting beat with a stick, something to show us that Arya has progressed. 2 seasons of boring in King's Landing for nothing since there's no trial. Riverrun was pointless because Jaime has not developed as a character. He's doing everything for Cersei.

A good performance by the actor that plays Edmure was just sort of ruined when Edmure reveals himself as a shithead ordering his men to capture Blackfish instead of letting him go. And the Blackfish wants to commit suicide instead of escaping or helping Sansa. Okay, that makes sense Dave Hill.

Another pointless scene of Tyrion drinking with boring lame characters. Tyrion is no better in Meereen than he was in the book getting to Meereen.

Are they now going to act like Davos cares about Shireen? If he did, he would have asked about her before now. I don't think Melisandre would have lied. Well, he did ask once and got interrupted. Davos didn't care enough to ask again.

Good actors and good production wasted on abysmal writing.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I am.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Apoplexy posted:

So are people ready to admit that D&D are hack frauds who were handed a genius 4 seasons by GRRM and then proceeded to start thinking themselves to be the actual talent, get bored, and now are just hitting plot points in a race to finish the series in as few man-hours as possible? HBO wants 8 seasons or more. They were sure they were done with 7 and now are trying to make season 7 13 episodes split into 2 'seasons' to get done as quickly as possible. God do I loving hate what they've done to this show. Scott Buck has nothing on D&D.

Yes, except GRRM is also a hack fraud who extended a densely written trilogy into a sprawling unfinishable 7 tome trainwreck and then expected television writers to faithfully synopsize the whole goddamn thing in 73 hours of television.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Brienne and Pod had to "escape" from their allies in the midst of a peaceful surrender?

Brienne did say that she'd have to kill Jamie if they met again.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Are they making the blackfish into Show Stoneheart? Otherwise what's even the point with this river lands arc?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The last few episodes were surprisingly decent and made me hope that they could salvage the rest of this season, which made this week's episode all the more disappointing.

The Bastard Bowl season spoilers are looking pretty likely at this point, which means Rickon gets Ramsey'd and Ramsey lives to 'stand trial for his crimes'. Ugh.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Yes, I'm now going to read those season spoilers I have been avoiding until now.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yronic heroism posted:

Are they making the blackfish into Show Stoneheart? Otherwise what's even the point with this river lands arc?

Hahaha you haven't been paying attention. There is no point to most the poo poo in this show.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Jessant posted:

Am I being as dense as usual or did Tyrion saying 'spoken like someone who has never shaved.' make no sense whatsoever.

i like to think its a reference to that blackfyre theory lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bip Roberts posted:

Brienne said that she would have to fight for the Tullys if they refused to surrender. Then they surrendered.

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

IncendiaC posted:

The Bastard Bowl season spoilers are looking pretty likely at this point, which means Rickon gets Ramsey'd and Ramsey lives to 'stand trial for his crimes'. Ugh.

Lmao that, in a fictional world where innocent people are routinely brutalized in the most barbaric manner for no reason, Ramsay Bolton will get a "fair trial" for his countless atrocities instead of getting his jugular torn open by Jon's direwolf. If this spoiler comes true I will :roflolmao:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
looking forward to varys teleporting to king's landing to kill kevan who has been given zero characterization in the 69 minute finale

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

splifyphus posted:

Yes, except GRRM is also a hack fraud who extended a densely written trilogy into a sprawling unfinishable 7 tome trainwreck and then expected television writers to faithfully synopsize the whole goddamn thing in 73 hours of television.

I don't know when this became about GRRM when his presence as co-executive producer during seasons 1-4 and the part where he wrote the books are the sole reasons this show was any good for those first 4 seasons.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I think the reference to the Lord of Light preventing people from dying is a 'subtle' shout-out to the fans. Specifically, "Yeah, sure. Maybe technically getting city river water (full of poop and bacteria and all sorts of city waste) in a gaping jagged gut wound would be fatal to MOST people. But the Lord of Light decided that Arya can't die, so she won't. Ever. She will literally see the heat death of the universe."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

yronic heroism posted:

I guess people were whining too much about aborted arcs, so D&D decided to be mature about it and say "gently caress YOU".

Blackfish?Dead
Grandfather Willow? Dead
Frey? Dead by end of season

Also, Kevan Lannister is clearly not in charge right now. I would just love it if Varys comes and kills him for no particular reason other than that's what happens in the book and they are trying to get back on track after the huge mess season 5 was.

Also whoever thinks the small talk between Tyrion and regular 1 and 2 was good should go see a doctor because something is wrong in their heads.

Remember when small talk was used to establish background and character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5As-RP1MM

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The prospect of the Hound fighting zombies in the north with Beric and Thoros is the only interesting thing out of this episode. But they are going to screw that up too.

This show sucks unfortunately

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

steakmancer posted:

looking forward to varys teleporting to king's landing to kill kevan who has been given zero characterization in the 69 minute finale

He'll have a really heart rending scene to make people sympathize and then varys will stab him in the neck.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Blackfish is an odd choice for Lord Stoneheart but why not I guess.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Everything about the Arya in Braavos storyline was complete poo poo. Jesus Christ, and on top of that her coming back and confronting Not-Jaqen and him being "Oh cool, NOW you can join us" like a total dumbass and letting her leave alive. Just, mindbogglingly dumb.

The Riverrun stuff was decent. Interesting how they completely changed the motivations for Blackfish, Edmure and Jaime. The Edmure stuff worked though, even if it was changed a bunch, and its good to have Tobias Menzies back on the show Nobody plays a complete gently caress Up like Tobias Menzies. Blackfish deciding to kamikaze himself off screen instead of escape to fight another day is a total 180 from the book and super weird and dumb? Ah well.

The Kings Landing stuff was cool too, nice little job making Tommen have to confront his mom that way. The kid that's played Tommen has done a real good job and its gonna be sad when he gets Gregor'd or whatever gruesome thing happens to him.

And lol at bringing back the Brotherhood without Banners to have a chat with the Hound. What the hell is going on there? And I guess no Stoneheart then? I mean, cuz Beric is around? Or what? What?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

In time it will come out that GRRM wrote this scene.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

3 guys showed up to threaten the Sept, doesn't mean just 3 people were there for the raid.

Also why did Brienne and Pod escape by boat and where are they going?

Robert was like, split open by that boar though.

Ayra was stabbed at leas three times in the abdomen by a 6' knife, and the last one ended with a twist. I mean, I'm a huge proponent of turning your brain to justifications instead of nitpicks if you want to enjoy a show, but even assuming her intestines weren't punctured, her abdominal muscles are definitely hosed up. Just standing, less than a week later, would be beyond excruciating. Parkour? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt it'd be possible if you could block the pain perfectly.

The whole Ayra sequence is just lazy. I'm really hoping there's something, anything more to this than it appears.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Remember when small talk was used to establish background and character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5As-RP1MM
Is this your idea of small talk? Spouses sitting across each other openly confessing how much they hate each other? You must enjoy your small talk.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
No.

gently caress yeah, the Blackfish is dead. And no Stoneheart. And DnD managed to resolve GRRM's stupid detour of Arya to Braavos. And Varys is returning to Westeros to arrange the Ellaria-Olenna-Cersei war. And no Cleganebowl.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bip Roberts posted:

She said if there was a fight, she'd have to fight for the Tullys, but there was a peace brokered, and she was just there as an envoy so she should have just been free to go. Maybe she could have even tried recruiting Edmure. He'd have wanted no part of it, but she doesn't know that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Ayra was stabbed at leas three times in the abdomen by a 6' knife, and the last one ended with a twist. I mean, I'm a huge proponent of turning your brain to justifications instead of nitpicks if you want to enjoy a show, but even assuming her intestines weren't punctured, her abdominal muscles are definitely hosed up. Just standing, less than a week later, would be beyond excruciating. Parkour? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt it'd be possible if you could block the pain perfectly.

The whole Ayra sequence is just lazy. I'm really hoping there's something, anything more to this than it appears.
On hindsight maybe the milk of the poppy helped numb that poo poo

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Vegetable posted:

On hindsight maybe the milk of the poppy helped numb that poo poo

You try doing parkour on morphine. You'd be surprised how much more precise you THINK you are than you actually are when on opiates.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Another pointless scene of Tyrion drinking with boring lame characters. Tyrion is no better in Meereen than he was in the book getting to Meereen.

Another dumb thing about killing Barristan so abruptly. He and Tyrion snarking at each other while Mel & Grey Worm looked on awkwardly would've been much better.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Brianne got an ace up sleeve. The man in love with her controls the army that's going to kill them. Also Pod is literally Lannister, he is distant cousin to Jamie.

Jaime respects Brienne and probably does like her but the show has been quite clear now that he intends to get back to Cersei and his one remaining kid no matter what the cost.

Podrick Payne if a member of House Payne, he's related to Illyn Payne and he was squire for the Lannisters, nothing more.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

meristem posted:

No.

gently caress yeah, the Blackfish is dead. And no Stoneheart. And DnD managed to resolve GRRM's stupid detour of Arya to Braavos. And Varys is returning to Westeros to arrange the Ellaria-Olenna-Cersei war. And no Cleganebowl.

So you just like things that suck, gotcha.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

CytotoxicTrev posted:

Lmao that, in a fictional world where innocent people are routinely brutalized in the most barbaric manner for no reason, Ramsay Bolton will get a "fair trial" for his countless atrocities instead of getting his jugular torn open by Jon's direwolf. If this spoiler comes true I will :roflolmao:

I'm guessing Jon will be about to finish Ramsay off and then Sansa will say that they're not any better than him if they just execute him on the spot or something, and he'll listen to her

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neckbeard posted:

I have friends on Facebook stating that the Tyrion/Grey Worm/Missandei wine scene was "awesome" :smith:

That's my bathroom break/read forum hour.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm guessing Jon will be about to finish Ramsay off and then Sansa will say that they're not any better than him if they just execute him on the spot or something, and he'll listen to her

Maybe she doesn't want him to get a quick death. Maybe she wants to rape him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Narmi posted:

Jaime respects Brienne and probably does like her but the show has been quite clear now that he intends to get back to Cersei and his one remaining kid no matter what the cost.

Podrick Payne if a member of House Payne, he's related to Illyn Payne and he was squire for the Lannisters, nothing more.

Payne is a cadet branch of the Lannisters

• Locked thread