Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, I was a supporter of Go Big or Go Home, but big came to us, so it's time to roll the gently caress out. After we resolve the downed pilot issue, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Alright, my backshot gamble paid off!

I'm going to have the champion book it to the northeast near the buildings, but I'll try to stay out of range of the remaining jump infantry. They can move three hexes right?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

dis astranagant posted:

The infantry can still link up and thus become capable of leg attacks again. Clan doctrine emphasizes that kind of mid combat reorganization so they don't even take any extra time or penalties for doing so.

That means that the jump infantry can't reform into an effective jump-capable unit though. There are (as I read it) only four active jump troopers in the evac area, so even if they form up with no time penalties they still can't do swarm or leg attacks and can only fling 3 points of damage around. The two foot units could incorporate them, but then the jumpers take on their limited movement (I presume).

That doesn't make the foot units any less dangerous, but I think that means that infantry can't threaten 3034. Which is good because I can do my job from there (plasma based war crimes) and still be well positioned to evacuate. Though given the state of my armor, taking back shots might be safer for the L/R torso...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

wipe that infantry even the footies since there are 4 stars coming towards you with murder in their cold clannish hearts.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Goonlance is getting pretty compressed around the tunnel exit, so when you decide on your move, please add it to the google doc so we minimize collisions!

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 13, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, I was a supporter of Go Big or Go Home, but big came to us, so it's time to roll the gently caress out. After we resolve the downed pilot issue, anyway.

No doubt, it's time to Go Home errybody.

You too, Icepick.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The fluff from the clanners if everyone gets out alive will be glorious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same, if everyone becomes bondsmen. Or in the case of Noretti and uh, the other clanner, double-bonds.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So clanners really really hate mercenaries.
And clanners really really hate other clanners.
How much do clanners hate other clanners who become mercenaries?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You too, Icepick.

It'll take at least three turns for someone to do the job, so everyone needs to plan out who is staying behind to draw fire and cover the retreat, and who is bugging out immediately.

The Grasshopper is almost certainly the best bet for the pilot retrieval, as nobody else can withstand the amount of incoming fire while standing still, but you need enough other targets out to provide a distraction. (Or to hope that the incoming Clanners are upholding Zell strictly. The doggie blowing up might change that, though.)

Also, I'd strongly consider leaving a path open for the three remaining doggies to get out. You will want them to die covering your retreat in 2-3 turns.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Great Beer posted:

The fluff from the clanners if everyone gets out alive will be glorious.

It's just going to end up like every episode of the A-Team where they got out just ahead of the MPs. A bunch of stunned grunts knowing their boss is going to be pissed while the officer in charge spikes his nuerohelmet on the ground and screams "DEMON HAAAAAAAWWWWWKS!" into the hurricane.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
So a massive explosion in a hurricane, including at least one small tornado. How do you intend to play that out? Giant cloud of scalding fog?

Also, nice to see at least a couple of the new clan light pilots are freaking out.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Hopefully the battleship starts landing some shots soon. It's probably gonna end up worse for the clanners at this point and imma be sad if we don't see any ortillery this mission!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In the Hogarth movie of this mission, it's going to end with everybody making it safely into the tunnel, with the last mech out being Dadlas backing into the entrance, firing the Heavy Gauss Rifle into the ceiling to collapse it, and just standing there glaring out at the Clans as the rubble comes down in front of him, like the skull faced God of Death that it is.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You too, Icepick.
We've got plenty of Mechs that can grab Icepick:
Atlas, Grasshopper, Salamander, Komodo, Screamer, Stag, Ostscout, and Phoenix Hawk.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
This turn we have a grace period of the stars showing up. Next turn, that light lance due South is going to cause MASSIVE problems between high movement critseekers (both Piranhas and Locust IIC) and a set of long guns (Crimson Hawk sporting a pair of ER Larges and the Solitaire 2's Heavy Large). Which may not stop the C.Hawk or Solitaire from firing this turn either, as they do have range enough and no ammo concerns to take shots on 12s just to spite us.

Oh, and the Howlers that showed up? Not exactly going to be that far behind, either, as Long Gun threats unless our StealthDog ties them up somehow.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Picard Day posted:

Hopefully the battleship starts landing some shots soon. It's probably gonna end up worse for the clanners at this point and imma be sad if we don't see any ortillery this mission!

I know that the Clanners are moving their big, bad warship into position presumably to swat this nuisance, but looking at the situation on the ground would it make sense for them to fire? GoonCompany's luck has been staggering and the casualties severe, but the force bearing down on them goes beyond mere overkill. As you say, firing now could cause more friendly fire than enemy, unless the goal is to collapse the tunnel on top of the Demon Hawks in which case everything going on is for naught.

If they've detected the Revenants I guess maybe they're hoping to pick them off, since chasing them down with mechs would be costly and wasting the Clans' time and resources is their whole purpose anyway.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This turn upcoming is the last one we need to complete the objective, so if you guys are really worried about it you could presumably start sending your wounded through the tunnel now to get them out of the way and keep everybody from being queued up at the entrance when the baddies arrive.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but it's at least something to keep in mind.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think it's best to shuffle on out ASAP, stopping only to pick up the downed pilot...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm willing to bet that warship won't be under Clan control when it reaches its firing position. In any case, it would be a really bad idea to be at ground zero when that thing gets a clean shot.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Zaodai posted:

This turn upcoming is the last one we need to complete the objective, so if you guys are really worried about it you could presumably start sending your wounded through the tunnel now to get them out of the way and keep everybody from being queued up at the entrance when the baddies arrive.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but it's at least something to keep in mind.
Unfortunately, only hex 2834 is empty this turn, and it is within swarm range of pristine infantry 6. Next turn I totally agree that Mechs like the Stag need to get out of dodge.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's probably a few mechs that could best be described as "walking wounded" that might at least want to stay back and wait for an escape opening. Saving Icepick is already going to be a hassle and that hassle will multiply rapidly if other vulnerable mechs start losing legs.

Also, am I wrong, or is it actually better/safer for someone further away from a downed pilot to rescue them rather than someone who starts their turn right next to the mech? Like, if the Salamander does it they only get a very small movement mod, but if the Screamer does it they get the whole "jumped this turn" bonus.

Also^2, I went to look up the recently-deceased Kaz, it looks like him, Liz and Taj were part of Noretti's star (who was the commanding officer, I hadn't noticed) last mission. Meaning Noretti was captured and then assisted in getting her former subordinate killed. I know Clan honor rules and all that might excuse such behaviour, but these Clanners are still human and that seems like a pretty risky situation. I don't know if cultural conditioning is enough to make an officer okay with killing their own troops.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dolash posted:

I don't know if cultural conditioning is enough to make an officer okay with killing their own troops.

The Russians did it, why not the clans? :commissar:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SynthOrange posted:

Same, if everyone becomes bondsmen. Or in the case of Noretti and uh, the other clanner, double-bonds.

This just made me think of Noretti's potential mindset if the Demon Hawks manage to actually pull this poo poo off. Demon is going to look like the Second Coming of Kerensky to her.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Clans kill each other all the time. Everything is a trial that could easily end in death. Promotions? Blood Names? Disagree about where to get coffee after the battle? FIGHT TO THE (possible) DEATH.

Clan Warriors are all eSports gamers in mindset. "You guys are my teammates, but only because this is a team game. You're still poo poo compared to me." In those circumstances, it's really not hard to see them easily shooting their former comrades in arms. After all, they're on another team now!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

I think it's best to shuffle on out ASAP, stopping only to pick up the downed pilot...

Don't forget it will be at least 2, possibly 3, turns before the Atlas can escape and at least one of those turns may involve turning its back to the field coming up behind them.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Splash posted:

I know that the Clanners are moving their big, bad warship into position presumably to swat this nuisance, but looking at the situation on the ground would it make sense for them to fire? GoonCompany's luck has been staggering and the casualties severe, but the force bearing down on them goes beyond mere overkill. As you say, firing now could cause more friendly fire than enemy, unless the goal is to collapse the tunnel on top of the Demon Hawks in which case everything going on is for naught.

If they've detected the Revenants I guess maybe they're hoping to pick them off, since chasing them down with mechs would be costly and wasting the Clans' time and resources is their whole purpose anyway.

Strategically it's a poor idea I 100% agree. But Clanners are warriors concerned with glory. Including Warship Captains. It's not about winning a fight but about getting a glorious kill shot on an unstoppable Warrior god. Who cares if some second line embarrassments have failed to succeed or die gloriously yet? The longer you wait before firing the higher odds one of these chucklefucks will killsteal that Atlas from you.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012
You know, I just noticed... where did the Clans get an Albatross from?

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I thought PTN said that if there were enemy units in the retreat zone, we couldn't retreat. This is part of what is making this infantry a problem.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Judicator65 posted:

I'm curious about that as well. There was an Albatross in the FWL trial mission right? Who ended up pulling the salvage from that fight?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, those infantry really need to die NOW. It's going to take at least 3 turns to fully evacuate everyone and the longer that gets delayed the closer those reinforcements are going to get...

Hopefully the hurricane will help you guys not get shot.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Judicator65 posted:

The Clans have a tendency to refit certain captured IS mechs with clantech for use in garrison units. They probably snagged it from the Free Worlds League. It could even be the one they were given as part of the Trial in the Hastilude mission.

All things considered that was a pretty great turn. The Goshawk squad is no more and Star Commander Kaz has been given a laser-assisted lobotomy. There are a lot of enemy reinforcements coming in, but most are pretty far away and won't be in firing range for some time. The Albatross and Phoenix Hawk IIC are both going to take a guaranteed 90 damage next turn, and the remaining infantry shouldn't be too tough to deal with. Just keep cool, make sure your movement orders don't clash and an orderly retreat should be fairly straightforward.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Edit: Ummm, that's four stars? Didn't see all of them to start with.

Ok, the only realistic secondary objective target is a sacrificial play, using probably Noretti despite the glass leg, as Jason is a company leader and Iris has a husband.

If the player wants to desert/be ordered by Jason to sacrifice herself and his heirloom mech, then Noretti and the Phoenix Hawk could jump northeast, denying LoS as long as possible before jinking in and out of heavy woods, dodging weapons fire from light mechs catching up.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 13, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Poptarts, if I jump three hexes to 2034 would that leave me enough mp to brace? Then I can jump or run to chameleon the following turn

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Pretty sure you have to stand stock still.

Edit: yeah, I'm surprised about Haze though, maybe he wants to eject in the bad weather and get killed, or is he afraid of being crippled more?
Also, glorious Kaz is dead. :black101: :commissar: :D

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah. That was a glorious lucky turn.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow, the goshawks are all dead, and so is the hawk hunter.
Now to kill the infantry, and see what happens next.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RA Rx posted:

Pretty sure you have to stand stock still.

This will be important I guess: does it take a round of no movement at all to pick someone up, or do you just need to end the round in the right hex?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

From what I remember of the fight against the Space Texans it doesn't take any movement, it's just a melee roll to pry loose the cockpit with a hand.
I think there was a +2 difficulty modifier for being careful. But maybe the team could ask PTN to waive the careful for some pilot damage instead? :v:

Anyway, if the Salamander fails to secure the pilot this round, next round should probably be Jason flying in to try at a +5 move mod while the Salamander backs off into the exit zone. After that it gets suicidal. And any critically damaged mech that can resist a round of foot infantry attacks should consider withdrawing now, like maybe the Stag.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So uhh... Since the screamer is such bullshit, why doesn't it just hop around for the 7 turns to hit objective 2 and everyone else withdraws then it loving beats feet back? Anything fast enough can follow it, like PTN noted, but it's to-got is almost impossible to make when it's evading. Also how far until they turn back because they're running into real hostile territory? At worst PTN rolls 5 or less rounds of everyone trying to shoot a screamer and writes a single tactical update for it, or Jason dies. If he doesn't die he comes back a hero like duncan, if he does die, he's a martyr. Though the clans may capture a screamer and that could be bad in the future.

• Locked thread