Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In better news Ken Burns is a pretty cool dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8zCQ4YnZ8

A pretty cool dude in pretty desperate need of a new barber. Do he and Mark Davis see the same guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean it's not literally impossible because yea no poo poo there are reactionaries in any group, but no I don't think Trump is going to see a massive swell in gay support, if only because poo poo like 'thanks for congrats' makes it very clear exactly who number one is to him even as he pretends to care about us getting shot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

semper wifi posted:

i wonder what could have been accomplished if people focused on realistic solutions instead of legislate legislate legislate pass bills now!!!

I'd like to hear what your realistic solution to this is then.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
Oh god, this might be the terrorist act that Trump will ride into office :negative:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Oh god, this might be the terrorist act that Trump will ride into office :negative:

This will be totally forgotten by that time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yes because the people most knee jerky about dirty Muslims weren't already voting for him and willing to crawl over broken glass to do it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's another shooting (although a very big shooting) and the victims were LGBT so it's going to be a muddled mess and not cause a huge shift in the polls. Some Trump leaners may jump to the Trumpwagon and we can start Arzying over the next few polls though. I expect some kind of "40% of likely voters say this made them more likely to vote Republican in the fall" poll to show up and cause a lot of heartburn.

It's kind of like the Paris thing. People attribute Trump's rise to Paris but he was actually performing as strongly in the polls before Paris. It just fits the narrative that it was caused by Paris because it's comforting to think that voters react to things and events instead of them just being this mostly unshiftable block of demographics.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

CelestialScribe posted:

Will be interesting to see if Trump support rises after this.

He congratulated himself on being "right" about "Islamic Terrorism" instead of offering condolences, which probably galvanized his base of angry white dudes, but clearly pissed everyone else off. So probably not.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Antti posted:

It's another shooting (although a very big shooting) and the victims were LGBT so it's going to be a muddled mess and not cause a huge shift in the polls. Some Trump leaners may jump to the Trumpwagon and we can start Arzying over the next few polls though. I expect some kind of "40% of likely voters say this made them more likely to vote Republican in the fall" poll to show up and cause a lot of heartburn.

It's kind of like the Paris thing. People attribute Trump's rise to Paris but he was actually performing as strongly in the polls before Paris. It just fits the narrative that it was caused by Paris because it's comforting to think that voters react to things and events instead of them just being this mostly unshiftable block of demographics.

People attributed Trump's rise to the Paris attacks? I've never heard of this theory before.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You also have to consider Trump's response that'll likely include all the hatred, fear mongering, and such that most people will see as a blatant grab for votes. Instead of the more human thing of condolence. Y'all remember Romney after Benghazi? It'll be worse than that because Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Antti posted:

Also Trump did not see a single increase in his polling after the Brussels attack despite tons of talk that it would help him. He maxed out on his support from the racist white demographic back last December when he called for the Muslim ban.

Kro-Bar posted:

People attributed Trump's rise to the Paris attacks? I've never heard of this theory before.

From the moment he entered the race last July he was polling the highest of every single Republican candidate. Oftentimes it wasn't even close. But in October he actually fell behind Ben Carson for about a week until even realized Ben Carson is a legit crazy person. So he was on an upward trajectory going into November when the one two punch of Paris and San Bernadino happened. He then made his declaration that all Muslims should be barred from entering the country and every single dog whistle racist rear end in a top hat jumped over to his camp and propelled him upwards. So he was already the most popular candidate and was getting more popular but those attacks accelerated things. He got a ton of would be Cruz and Jeb! supporters that may have been otherwise more hesitant to go for Trump because he doubled down on the racist beliefs that they had previously restrained themselves from publicly voicing.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Maybe I'm misremembering but there was definitely at least a lot of handwringing, like today, after Paris. Again, it's because people want to think that one, voters actually react to current events, and two, if Trump's popularity is derived from ephemeral "madness of the moment" that subsides once whatever caused it is forgotten, it means there actually isn't a large swath of the voting public that's racist (they're just "temporarily racist" or something I guess?).

DemeaninDemon posted:

You also have to consider Trump's response that'll likely include all the hatred, fear mongering, and such that most people will see as a blatant grab for votes. Instead of the more human thing of condolence. Y'all remember Romney after Benghazi? It'll be worse than that because Trump.

I still remember seeing him smirk as he walked away from the podium thinking he's got this thing in the bag and I had this visceral reaction of "I hope you lose, you motherfucker."

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah Romney smirk is the most disgusting political picture of the last 15 years. Worse than purple heart bandaid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
One thing is that from the names released a lot of the deceased are Hispanic, which is unsurprising given that it was in Orlando. Even less so that the current de-emphasis that this was a hate crime directly aimed at the LGBT community it will not be part of the narrative that most of the victims were "rapists" to Trump.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lid posted:

He might get support from elements of the LGBT community. now.

loving lol

LGBT Americans skew heavily Democratic, and Hillary is a bit of a gay icon in that she's regarded as a consistent supporter of LGBT rights, someone who is never afraid to call it like it is w/r/t LGBT persecution.

Fifty people are dead and another fifty-odd injured in the deadliest shooting in American history, targeted at a large gay nightclub during Pride weekend. Maximum fabulous fish in a barrel.

The LGBT community loving hates Trump, or at the least is apathetic to politics in general.

"A Muslim slaughtered a bunch of gays in the name of ISIS, surely this will boost Trump's support in the LGBT community."

No, very much not.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lid posted:

One thing is that from the names released a lot of the deceased are Hispanic, which is unsurprising given that it was in Orlando.

Also it was Latin Night in the club that night.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
There's also the fact that Trump's "Muslim ban" proposal would have done jack poo poo to stop this, seeing as how the guy was a native-born US citizen.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

INH5 posted:

There's also the fact that Trump's "Muslim ban" proposal would have done jack poo poo to stop this, seeing as how the guy was a native-born US citizen.

What about his "track all Muslims by giving them gold six-pointed stars setting up a mandatory database with special IDs" plan?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

INH5 posted:

Stop using facts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah it was apparently Latin Night at the club so the people murdered were those who are doubly despised and poo poo on by Republicans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So the guy with guns at LA pride is bi, so expect all mention of this story to fade away quickly.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What about his "track all Muslims by giving them gold six-pointed stars setting up a mandatory database with special IDs" plan?
Wasn't that Ted Cruz?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Beck occasionally throws out liberal/leftish bones so he can have the illusion of being the adult in the room/be the "reasonable" regressive shitheel.

My favorite was 9/12 poo poo when Stewart and Colbert had their DC event and Beck said he was sorry for adding to the culture of hate and anger.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So how long until at least one of the victims gets proven to be undocumented because at this pace Trump might have no way to answer his sudden friendliness with the illegal homosexual Mexican community.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(SedanChair, if you have your inspirational post saved about how Hillary will crush the GOP and drive them before her, I'd appreciate it. :haw: )

I dug this out :lol:

quote:

Warren is also very conservative, but she actually comprehends the severity of the crisis, the effects of regulatory capture and how inequality is going to gently caress over our national security and position of dominance. Obama comprehends it but has seen that he can't prevail over it. And he's a man who gained the presidency, that's how much influence he wields. He is governing against a Republican party that is in full revolt constantly, against himself as much as it is against him. And it sickens him to have to try and cut a deal with these peckerwoods, these simpering shitbirds across the table acting like they'll deliver votes to him in congress. Who wouldn't be sickened? literally who in the pages of history would not be sickened, trying to cut deals with these backstabbing jumped up furniture salesmen and chiropractors who presume to lecture him on his tone. Obama never had the taste for it, the love for it that would let you submit repeatedly to such abuse.

Could Warren cut deals with these gross, dreadful human animals? Could Obama? Did Obama?

But guess who could cut deals?

Hillary Clinton will sit down with her sworn enemy and make them her bitch; they'll be glad of it. She's done it with Rupert Murdoch, of all people. The right wing can't even figure out how to deal with Murdoch, they fear him and he controls them. Hillary controls him, by getting in a room with him.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is America's best chance to slow progress toward the gaping twin abysses of inequality and climate destruction. She will sign landmark carbon reduction bills into law. She will promptly secure $10.10 as a federal minimum wage for non-agricultural workers. She will suppress all threats to national security with ruthless efficiency, signing privacy bills authored by Jim Sensenbrenner. She will airstrike the living poo poo out of all foreign nationals on the "global no-fly list." She will get it done, and all men and women in the Capitol will fear her, and love her.

Clinton 2016: Don't gently caress with me, I've got a play date to be at

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Just a reminder to everyone that this is what trump said after the attack.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742034549232766976

And he shows no signs of letting up.

Yeah he's going full Romney on this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NewMars posted:

Just a reminder to everyone that this is what trump said after the attack.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742034549232766976

And he shows no signs of letting up.

Yeah he's going full Romney on this.
Give it a day and ideal victim theory will take over. Benghazi worked because the victims played into the narrative. Its not going to work talking one side of the mouth of blaming Obama while then having to refrain from demonising homosexuals and/or hispanics. It will fail fast.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lid posted:

Give it a day and ideal victim theory will take over. Benghazi worked because the victims played into the narrative. Its not going to work talking one side of the mouth of blaming Obama while then having to refrain from demonising homosexuals and/or hispanics. It will fail fast.

When I said full Romney, what I meant was this:

.txt.

Trump's first reaction to the shooting is self-congratulatory. If he continues on that tack at his rally, he's likely to say or do something that makes Romney up there look like a model of sincerity.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
More info is trickling out about this guy's past.

quote:

Jasmine Kalenuik, a Palm City resident, encountered Mateen at PGA Village about eight months ago at the gatehouse.

“He made me so uncomfortable,” said Kalenuik. “He asked me for my ID, and when he gave it back he just holds onto it and he’s clinging to it and breathing weird and smiling at me with this crazed stare.”

So yes, it's increasingly looking like this guy was Not Right In The Head.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NewMars posted:

When I said full Romney, what I meant was this:

.txt.

Trump's first reaction to the shooting is self-congratulatory. If he continues on that tack at his rally, he's likely to say or do something that makes Romney up there look like a model of sincerity.

Oh of course, when i say ideal victim theory i mean that to try and use this to advantage means also Trump has to deify the victims. He cant do that. Physically or mentally. If he wants to try and capitalise on this he would need to stop attacking the lgbt community and immigrants. It aint gonna happen.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trump's relatively alright with the gays though. I think this will give him a noticeable bump in polls. Hope it doesn't happen again a month before the election

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I hope it doesn't happen again ever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

INH5 posted:

Native born US citizen with no prior criminal or mental health records, as reported so far. Working in a job that supposedly requires fairly stringent background checks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Native born US citizen with no prior criminal or mental health records, as reported so far. Working in a job that supposedly requires fairly stringent background checks.
"Supposedly" has got to be the key word here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's G4S. They're an absolute nightmare company.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's looking more like, the more we hear, the worse the ball got dropped with this guy on a lot of levels.

His coworkers all complain, but none of them nor his superviors thought an armed guard with huge anger issues 'known for his cursing, diatribes and verbal slurs toward gays and African Americans' to the point that he caused incidents at his last two postings was enough of a problem to maybe act on. His ex-wife says she was beaten, but she never apparently pursued domestic abuse charges so he was never flagged there.

It's a shitfest on so many levels.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

INH5 posted:

More info is trickling out about this guy's past.

So yes, it's increasingly looking like this guy was Not Right In The Head.

I don't know, from the article I mainly get the impression he was a huge misogynist creep and wife-beating rear end in a top hat.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah it's looking more like, the more we hear, the worse the ball got dropped with this guy on a lot of levels.

His coworkers all complain, but none of them nor his superviors thought an armed guard with huge anger issues 'known for his cursing, diatribes and verbal slurs toward gays and African Americans' to the point that he caused incidents at his last two postings was enough of a problem to maybe act on. His ex-wife says she was beaten, but she never apparently pursued domestic abuse charges so he was never flagged there.

It's a shitfest on so many levels.

We're not blaming the wife here are we? Don't think so but I want to make sure. Blaming an abuse victim is not cool.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The way I see it, it's his employer that should have caught this the most. He's an adult and away from his parents so I don't blame them, it's his wife's call about how to deal with his abuse of her, the FBI did their job like they should have; it's not like they can follow someone around just for being an angry jerk unless they can prove their connection to known terrorists. But a security company that gives him a gun and the responsibility to use it should have done better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

We're not blaming the wife here are we? Don't think so but I want to make sure. Blaming an abuse victim is not cool.

God no. It's just lovely that she didn't feel safe in pushing for domestic abuse charges against someone who was beating her.

The employer is bullshit because they were specifically employing the guy as armed security despite reportedly erratic and threatening behavior.

• Locked thread