Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Having someone with the skillset isn't nearly good enough, you really really REALLY want someone with Rob Blind equipped because one of the items you can steal turns into the best shield in the game and Rob Blind gets you two. The other thing is buyable so it's not as important, but it's the best buyable heavy armor in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
On the other hand, shields are for people who aren't wielding four weapons

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You mean mages?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

cheetah7071 posted:

On the other hand, shields are for people who aren't wielding four weapons

On the other hand, is my tank's second shield HEH.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Last Celebration posted:

You mean mages?

Gotta get four m atk boosts

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The shield's also totally redundant cause you can just cast elemental barrier.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just got to the sidequest where you visit DeRosa's old place, and Tiz says "At least it's soundproof." :stare:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

DalaranJ posted:

I just got to the sidequest where you visit DeRosa's old place, and Tiz says "At least it's soundproof." :stare:

You can thank the red mage for that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I just got guardian. I think I get the spirit power thing. It's like reverse dark knight, they take damage and then they get to do special attacks.

But how the heck is possession related to that? Do I get spirit power when my possession target is hit? Do I take damage for my target?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DalaranJ posted:

I just got guardian. I think I get the spirit power thing. It's like reverse dark knight, they take damage and then they get to do special attacks.

But how the heck is possession related to that? Do I get spirit power when my possession target is hit? Do I take damage for my target?

The two gimmicks aren't well tied together, although you do get an ability that lets you take soul power from other characters and use it, I think. It's better to think of the Soul Power stuff as being one thing that is pretty alright either in the first battle of chains with the passive that starts you with 50% Soul Power equipped or in lengthy tanking battles, and then think of Possession as another thing that is kinda cool until a little later when you can make it super duper broken if you want.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've hardly used to soul power stuff since it was incredibly underwhelming when I used it compared to possessing the enemy or melee Edea. Soul mirror is really good though on characters that get targeted a lot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys the Black Mage/Ranger sidequest is kind of stupid and badly written.

Or is it just me

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

It's pretty bad, but not the worst one IMO (dark knight)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In Valkyrie vs Monk, the Valkyrie side presents no arguments, not even bad ones, on why you should take her side.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

many johnnys posted:

It's pretty bad, but not the worst one IMO (dark knight)

I love that Edea is so tired of people's poo poo at that point that she calls them both out on it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I like that Edea basically becomes the de facto protagonist for the sidequests, since they involve a bunch of people that she knows and Yew doesn't.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

I like that Edea basically becomes the de facto protagonist for the sidequests, since they involve a bunch of people that she knows and Yew don't.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Today I learned that Wild Toss counts as an item for the purposes of charging specials with the Use Item requirement. Each weapon you throw counts as 0.5 items for the purposes of the counter, by my experience.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

In Valkyrie vs Monk, the Valkyrie side presents no arguments, not even bad ones, on why you should take her side.

If you're George Wallace you'd find her side convincing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thuryl posted:

I like that Edea basically becomes the de facto protagonist for the sidequests, since they involve a bunch of people that she knows and Yew doesn't.
Well that was the case for most of the first game as well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Valkyrie vs Monk one is actually funny because of how firmly the game's tongue is planted in its cheek for the argument. Both Asterisk holders have barely any idea what they're even doing there and if you read the bestiary notes after the fight you realize the reasonings are just more bullshit piled on top of bullshit.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I like how involved Edea is in general, she's almost as much a protagonist as Yew is, what with her future responsibilities with regard to the empire. Most of the characters are very compelling (Tiz doesn't have much going on for him but that's okay). A++ game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'd say that Yew and Edea feel like the most interesting characters in the game, while Tiz and Magnolia just feel tacked on.

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, that was probably the most uncomfortable throwaway line in the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Magnolia had plenty of promise but the plot never bothered to do anything with her. With luck she'll get a fuller treatment in Bravely Third though she could just as easily get sidelined.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay someone might save me about 3000 jp of grinding if they can answer this one. Does the cost of Undo BP occur before or after you use it?

Let's not beat around the bush, I'm asking how many BP am I going to spend if I do:
My Hero, My Hero, My Hero, Undo BP (self)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Undo command takes a snapshot of everyone's stats at the start of that particular turn.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DalaranJ posted:

Okay someone might save me about 3000 jp of grinding if they can answer this one. Does the cost of Undo BP occur before or after you use it?

Let's not beat around the bush, I'm asking how many BP am I going to spend if I do:
My Hero, My Hero, My Hero, Undo BP (self)

The cost should come before the effect, and in this case I'm pretty sure it would take you too low into the negatives even if you started at 4 BP with the Templar passive so Undo BP won't trigger. Also, I can't remember offhand, but you might not even be allowed to use Undo BP on yourself.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Undo BP can only target other people.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How do I make Ba'als show up more often on the moon?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

How do I make Ba'als show up more often on the moon?

Best way is to just use "update data", you should get a few each time.

If you're just going for the bestiary entries, you can get them in chapter 4, at the end layer. All the baals are random encounters..

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The game's sidequests really needed an option where Edea goes 'no, you' re both stupid. ' and then she fights both asterisk bearers at the same time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but mechanically it's actually pretty cool choosing which old jobs you want to complement your playstyle and the new ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

The game's sidequests really needed an option where Edea goes 'no, you' re both stupid. ' and then she fights both asterisk bearers at the same time.

That's DLC for 20 bucks, thank you

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if Brave had to beat everyone up to get them to follow him in the first place. Judging by their general intelligence level the answer is probably yes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

I was seriously expecting there to be more than one NG+ loop, and in the later ones you get them banding together, i.e. "we demand a coed school and lower taxes and the rights to the song and that bahamut get all the food" and then you'd pick a side and fight a bunch of them at once.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, but mechanically it's actually pretty cool choosing which old jobs you want to complement your playstyle and the new ones.

And mechanically it would be cool to have Asterisk Group fights again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

What effects cause 'Bully' to trigger? Do attribute debuffs count or just poison and the like?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It definitely triggers on debuffs since I had Magnolia use piestorm and Edea quad wield+bully+multitask everything to death. It probably works on status effects too but I always started a battle with stat debuffs.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Finally got around to getting this game and I'm about to get started. Having not played the first I imagine the game's recaps will be enough to understand whats going on.

My only question is do I have to deal with party members leaving or joining, or swapping them out at all, or will the party members I get stay consistent for most if not all of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
98% of the game is spent with the same four party members.

• Locked thread