Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there a beginners guide to engineers and horizons and all the stuff to do?

They have some Pilot Training videos on the official Elite Dangerous YouTube channel.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The first engineer I have in my menu is redded out too. I'd love some help.

What's the name of the engineer? They have different requirements to unlock them.
You can see what materials certain upgrades require once you've unlocked an engineer and visit their base.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, I get killed pretty quickly now. How do the number/letter ratings work for gear? I'm trying to get better shields and weapons but I think I've messed up because me eagle turns like a brick now.

The higher the number on the module the larger it is, generally you'll want the largest module your ship can fit.

E are the cheapest modules with the worst performance.
D weigh the least.
C have an average price to performance ratio.
B have more hitpoints but weigh a lot more.
A are the most expensive and have the best performance.

The maneuverability of your ship is determined by its mass compared to the size & quality of its thrusters.
How far your ship can jump is determined by its mass compared to the size & quality of its FSD drive.

If you want to fit out a combat or multirole ship you'll want to have the D rated modules for life support and sensors, but A rated modules for the rest.
If you want to fit out an exploration or trading ship you'll want to have the D rated modules for most modules, except for an A rated FSD drive and thrusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ShadowMoo posted:

How much truth is there to the tons of negative reviews on steam about 2.1?

From what I can tell any game on Steam will have its most recent patch savagely downrated unless it gives every player a free steak and blowjob and makes a popup on the screen every 5 minutes telling them that they're cool.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

From what I can tell any game on Steam will have its most recent patch savagely downrated unless it gives every player a free steak and blowjob and makes a popup on the screen every 5 minutes telling them that they're cool.

Yeah, it's better to go over the average reviews to get a feel for a game, it's best to just ignore individual reviews. Sometimes I read a couple positive or negative reviews to see if there are any actual points to them. (Or to have a laugh) There never is, even lovely games tend to have badly written reviews.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ShadowMoo posted:

How much truth is there to the tons of negative reviews on steam about 2.1?

They did fix the most glaringly immediate problems up, after an initial period of their lead AI dev telling people "Working as intended, get good". Plus reimbursing all the insurance losses while everything was going full Skynet (They did go through on the refunds, right?).

Most of the :salt: :allears: was when fully automatic infinite ammo plasma accelerators for NPCs and other such goodies were a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

RabidWeasel posted:

Everybody knows reviews don't count if they were made BEFORE expansion launch bugs get fixed :pseudo: Doesn't change that you are still right about most Steam Reviews, though :v:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is HOTAS necessary for this game much?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShadowMoo posted:

No. KB+M is perfectly serviceable, as is a controller with some keyboard backup for specific tasks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ShadowMoo posted:

They ported it to the Xbox One, so the developers don't think so.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ShadowMoo posted:

No but it's genuinely way more fun.

RabidWeasel posted:

Are the Star Shitizens still bombing Elite's steam reviews as well?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Knifegrab posted:

A lot of people over reacting

:ironicat:

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

3000ly + out of the bubble and I find this guy crashed in his escape pod, "drat, you're one lucky S.O.B!" :cool:

ah poo poo.

You know what you have to do...jettison yourself and give him/her your ship.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone know if your in-game credits, ships, etc. will transfer between Xbox <-> PC? I play Horizons on PC right now, but I'd like to be able to jump on the Xbox when the GF needs the PC.

It would be pretty sweet if I can start a mission worth 7mil on the PC, make 3 / 20 jumps, dock and then pick back up where I left off on the Xbox.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dolemite posted:

Anyone know if your in-game credits, ships, etc. will transfer between Xbox <-> PC? I play Horizons on PC right now, but I'd like to be able to jump on the Xbox when the GF needs the PC.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that PC and Xbox versions have different game accounts, so no you wouldn't be able to do that.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Natsuumi posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that PC and Xbox versions have different game accounts, so no you wouldn't be able to do that.

Youre right, different accounts.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Well bummer. I was hoping that even though the types of accounts are different, you could "sync" the possessions, money, etc. from the PC account to your Live account and vice-versa.

I definitely don't want to start over again if I bought the Xbox version. But, I might reconsider. How does the Xbox version of the game compare in terms of graphics? And does the Xbox version have any slowdown or stuttering when landing on planets that plagued the PC version? I'm already using an Xbone controller on the PC, so I'm used to playing on a controller.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dolemite posted:

Well bummer. I was hoping that even though the types of accounts are different, you could "sync" the possessions, money, etc. from the PC account to your Live account and vice-versa.

I wish you could, too, just so the people who hate that you can swap from open to solo/private would have one more thing to bitch about.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Dolemite posted:

I definitely don't want to start over again if I bought the Xbox version. But, I might reconsider. How does the Xbox version of the game compare in terms of graphics? And does the Xbox version have any slowdown or stuttering when landing on planets that plagued the PC version? I'm already using an Xbone controller on the PC, so I'm used to playing on a controller.

Graphics are good, but not as good as a decent PC of course. Performance however is not very good. Menus are laggy, the galaxy/system maps take forever to load and planetary flight takes some fps hits. It's playable, but if you're coming from PC it can be annoying. The main reason I played Xbox (aside from couch spacemanning) was the lack of PGs that kept pretty much everyone in open, but it has PGs now so I got a Steam Link and just play the PC version on my couch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I've been playing the game off and on for a years now and I just don't get some of the stuff added in this patch, its so nebulous. I got a "Shield anomaly discovered" or something and I have no idea what it means.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Looking to get back into ED. Having some problems though. mostly in that i have forgotten how to loving control it.

Since I mostly enjoy(ed) bounty hunting, I'm trying to downgrade from my Anaconda to something like a Vulture in the meantime.

when I quit (right before cqc?) there were some shenanigans going in with certain systems giving better purchase value on sold ships and stuff. is that true? or should I just sell my ship wherever. can I buy ships cheaper anywhere? I think i actually bought my python (before I got my anaconda) at one of those 20% discount systems. do these still exist?

thanks!

also i'm guessing lavingy is still the best option if you wanna blow up space bads?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OK, I need a really big dent puller :eyepop:

drat, still no room sorry guys :smith:

Dixie air horn :clint:

Also this is a fun thing; low-grav planet (mine was 0.05g), get up on the roof of your ship and then dismiss it. I don't think the warranty for Scarabs covers controlled air-drop descents.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

tooterfish posted:

There's definitely at least one Wang Enterprise.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Are you man enough to face

also I tried prospecting here but only uncovered a miserable little pile of secrets

Pshhh

I guess none of you have been to Dong Wang:

http://ed-td.space/en/9/System/idSys/4339/nSys/Dong+Wang

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Tabletops posted:

also i'm guessing lavingy is still the best option if you wanna blow up space bads?

welcome back....I recommend saving your powerplay itch for when our CG's come into play. Diamond Frogs are currently in a coalition with several of our allies (GalCop) and we're going to be entering a competition to see which player-made faction can become a superpower. We're going to need all we can muster to help.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dolemite posted:

I've only played the Xbox version but I think it works well and it's good. Of course, the graphics do seem better on PC from the videos I've seen, and I wish I could customize HUD color like they do. It works though and is chill as gently caress to go roaming around the Galaxy. Since I don't personally know PC graphics first hand, I find it beautiful and the few planets I've landed on it worked well. No crashes either. I'm still in my first cobra and trying to get my sol permit and love it.

The best drat thing about this game is the sound effects. They are worlds away better than any other space game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also this is a fun thing; low-grav planet (mine was 0.05g), get up on the roof of your ship and then dismiss it. I don't think the warranty for Scarabs covers controlled air-drop descents.

With an Anaconda, you get air drops half the time just by normally exiting the ship. The SRV hangar is a bit behind the observation deck, which is quite the ways up when your ship is landed. The first time it happened I thought for a moment the game had bugged out on me and my ship was falling through the surface. But no, it was just hanging really high up in the sky. :v:

I'm not complaining, mind you. Aside from the fun of unexpected air drops, I can also exit my ship if I accidentally land too awkwardly. With flatter ships, I noticed you can quite often block your way out of the ship, forcing you to search for a better spot. The Anaconda has a higher tolerance against landing gently caress-ups.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

Solo mode is fine but ultimately is kind of a bad replacement for an actual not-online singleplayer mode. I'd pay an extra 60$ just to get proper single player or at least a private-server game where I could use mods.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you could play offline and with mods why would you spend money on cash shop ship skins?

You wouldn't, which is why you won't be able to.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't either way thou

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Can I up my federation rank in a federation system controlled by lavigny?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

Can I up my federation rank in a federation system controlled by lavigny?

The powerplay owner doesn't matter, just allegiance so yes.

What matters more is does a federation affiliated faction control the station you're trying to get missions from?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DancingShade posted:

The powerplay owner doesn't matter, just allegiance so yes.

What matters more is does a federation affiliated faction control the station you're trying to get missions from?

yeah, Timos. when i played before there were no fed ships other than the dropship which kinda stunk. They have a bunch now and I wanna rank up in the feds. Was thinking I'd just plink pirates in a RES or whatever but i'm not sure if that'll actually up my rep with the federation.

The system i found near me (that was lavigny and federation allegiance) Timos has a fed allegianced station, I did a few missions but my federation influence hasn't improved much at all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm getting a touch of the space... madness again. Have they fixed all the busted-rear end quest types that they introduced with Horizons? Like where you have to survive for 45 minutes and then the NPC never contacts you?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah rank grinding is basically obnoxious regardless of what you do.

In days past someone could direct you to a specific station or two to grind donation mission to just buy your way into the admiralty, but I don't think 2.1 was kind to that approach. You can probably still "buy" rank with cash over time but the cost has gone way, way up. I don't know what would currently be considered effective.

Hell, right now I have enough Imperial rank for Viscount but promotion missions I can do seem to be rare as gently caress. Plenty of "you need 150 cargo for admission" rank progression missions on the boards but that doesn't help me in my FDL.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DancingShade posted:

Yeah rank grinding is basically obnoxious regardless of what you do.

In days past someone could direct you to a specific station or two to grind donation mission to just buy your way into the admiralty, but I don't think 2.1 was kind to that approach. You can probably still "buy" rank with cash over time but the cost has gone way, way up. I don't know what would currently be considered effective.

Hell, right now I have enough Imperial rank for Viscount but promotion missions I can do seem to be rare as gently caress. Plenty of "you need 150 cargo for admission" rank progression missions on the boards but that doesn't help me in my FDL.

word. I'm a little interested in the corvette but after flying an anaconda i'm not sure i want to fly a ship that big. the anaconda is annoyingly lumbering.

was more interested in the assault ship or gunship maybe? i think the assault ship is the smaller one. so i think i only need chief petty officer rank to get that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Corvette is a lot of fun.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
But it's still securely in the big ship range. I wouldn't rank grind to a Corvette if you aren't sold on the idea after trying an Anaconda.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just want the sol permit, and one mission only increases my federation rank by 10%? It's going to take a while.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just want the sol permit, and one mission only increases my federation rank by 10%? It's going to take a while.

Wow. I feel lucky. Last night I accidentally got the Sol permit whule running cargo and I have no idea how.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
since i guess im gonna be running missions forever, whats everyones favorite mission running ship and loadout?

i switched to a vulture from my conda but it's been a little annoying to do missions in.

thinking maybe asp explorer.

sounding like a viper or the FDL is a bonus. god they sound so good.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 14, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The Python is probably the premier gently caress around multi-role ship, but it's costly and sluggish compared to smaller ships (but much better than an Anaconda though). The Asp Explorer is a great less expensive alternative, like a Cobra but has more of everything except for being a bit slower and clumsier. I'm also not sure how well it will last if you're repeatedly rubbing shoulders with all of the Deadly and Elite pirate FDLs and Anacondas that seem to exclusively populate supercruise these days.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

timn posted:

The Python is probably the premier gently caress around multi-role ship, but it's costly and sluggish compared to smaller ships (but much better than an Anaconda though). The Asp Explorer is a great less expensive alternative, like a Cobra but has more of everything except for being a bit slower and clumsier. I'm also not sure how well it will last if you're repeatedly rubbing shoulders with all of the Deadly and Elite pirate FDLs and Anacondas that seem to exclusively populate supercruise these days.

hmm, well i hav ~165m to throw around. i could probably go back to a python. i ran one for quite a while before.

oh another question, do cannons and frag cannons still suck? burst lasers as well?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm using a cobra mk III as my all around ship and its working pretty well. The more I kit it out the better it gets. It fights well too with a lot of power micromanagement. I think I want a viper next.

• Locked thread