Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is it bad form to kill the host of a fight club when there are no more opponents remaining? I invaded as a mad phantom and killed 2 phantoms, but then no one else was around and the host had apparently gone AFK. I wanted my vertebrae shackle and there was no one else around, so I killed him. Seemed like a fair thing to do, especially after actually playing along with the fight club and not having anything left to do after that.

Also had a fun time as a sunbro right outside of Dragonslayer Armor where a host was basically doing a Gold Phantoms vs Red Phantoms fight club. It was a fun time even if I really just wanted to help people fight Dragonslayer. Can't believe that a bunch of gold phantoms managed to hold off and let the fight club happen, it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you dont lose anything important when you die so im not sure how its bad form to murder the host.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ya, I wouldn't crystal out of that scenario, you deserved that shackle.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Best thing to do as a Mad during fight clubs is to scope out which of the other phantoms is squirrelly enough to attack the host too, then both of you will him while the others are busy dueling. Wildcard bitches

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Gabby_Jay posted:

And no, I didn't see it coming.

I like that the knight is staring at the painting of Gwynevere.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I like the ridiculous farron sword handbrake spin move a lot. Never have PvP'd but I assume it annoys the poo poo out of people in that. It's really different than any other weapon. You can use the move itself to dodge attacks because it slides across their weak side and stays low; you end up almost 180 degrees away from the direction they started attacking. Pontiff kept missing his little backhand slap counters because i was still on the floor haha. It's weird how it punishes you for pressing your advantage too hard-- since attack and defense take the same meter, and the sword's stamina/damage ratio is pretty bad, you can end up getting punished for a successful hit if you don't watch it. But that's a small price for being able to whiff-punish from across the room and then bail out before anyone can respond.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm starting a sorcerer, should I just use the sorcerer's staff until I get Court Sorcerer's or is there something in between that's worth upgrading? I started with Knight and am going pure INT.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, I went into NG++ to grab more slabs (curse this upgrade scarcity!) and decided to try out the dragon's tooth since I had not given the great maces a go yet. I gotta say, I'm surprised I don't see more people using it. It gobbles stamina but hits like a truck and is deceptively fast. The range isn't amazing, but it's decent and the weapon has tons of hyper armor (I do wish the weapon art lasted a mite bit longer though. Not that the built-in hyper armor frames are not already pretty generous). It's also heavy as hell, so I did end up having to use Havel's Ring, which I guess is sort of poetic?

swamp waste posted:

I like the ridiculous farron sword handbrake spin move a lot. Never have PvP'd but I assume it annoys the poo poo out of people in that. It's really different than any other weapon. You can use the move itself to dodge attacks because it slides across their weak side and stays low; you end up almost 180 degrees away from the direction they started attacking. Pontiff kept missing his little backhand slap counters because i was still on the floor haha. It's weird how it punishes you for pressing your advantage too hard-- since attack and defense take the same meter, and the sword's stamina/damage ratio is pretty bad, you can end up getting punished for a successful hit if you don't watch it. But that's a small price for being able to whiff-punish from across the room and then bail out before anyone can respond.

It has hit stun for years on that spin slash. It's an absolute death sentence in PvP if you have a buddy. Whenever I see a pack of phantoms and one of them has the farron sword, I die a little inside. But not as much as every time I see a caestus or buckler offhanded.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So the flamberge turns out that is pretty decent at last but, is it worth getting over the claymore? It lacks trusting damage that pairs with leo ring but it has bleed damage. What would be better for PVE?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Where I attempt to show how to kill the swordmaster for a friend and succeed, I guess.

Unfortuantely what I didnt record was when a dog attacked me in the high wall and I hit it with the mace in just the right way to knock it off screen to my left, causing it to teleport and slide in from the right. I now love these dumb teleporting dogs.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Armani posted:

I like that the knight is staring at the painting of Gwynevere.

Visions of Chest

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tengames posted:

Where I attempt to show how to kill the swordmaster for a friend and succeed, I guess.

Unfortuantely what I didnt record was when a dog attacked me in the high wall and I hit it with the mace in just the right way to knock it off screen to my left, causing it to teleport and slide in from the right. I now love these dumb teleporting dogs.

Yeah the swordmaster has pretty bad footing.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
missing one shard and one dust at end game, who wants to guess where i missed each??

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 13, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dust?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I think he means Undead Bone Shard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The current Xanthous crown makes me so drat sad compared to what it used to be.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Relin posted:

missing one shard and one dust at end game, who wants to guess where i missed each??

I'm going to guess archive rooftops and the skeleton ball. e: the one behind an illusory wall in smouldering lake is a good bet too.

First time around I missed the skeleton ball and the shard that's around the crystal sages

hard counter fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SynthOrange posted:

The current Xanthous crown makes me so drat sad compared to what it used to be.

It tells a pretty good story though. At least from Dark Souls -----> Dark Souls 3.

In the first one, King Jeremiah is infected with a bloat head. In 2 the bulb has grown, and nearly bursting, as you can see a few blood spots seeping through it. In 3 it's faded, ripped, and spotted with dried blood, as if his bloat head finally burst.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And there's no adequate replacement for an infested head either :v:

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Why the hell are the Twin Princes so big? Aren't they humans? That goes for all the other stupidly big people too. And who the hell is forging 20 ft long swords?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Confetti posted:

Why the hell are the Twin Princes so big? Aren't they humans? That goes for all the other stupidly big people too. And who the hell is forging 20 ft long swords?

Being a god makes you all big.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it turns out i missed the estus shard in anor londo (cloaked in darkness) and the bone shard where you kill the skeleton wizard (who i dont remember ever noticing) to destroy the skeleball

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Relin posted:

it turns out i missed the estus shard in anor londo (cloaked in darkness) and the bone shard where you kill the skeleton wizard (who i dont remember ever noticing) to destroy the skeleball

Those are the exact two I missed as well. Hidden as poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr Confetti posted:

Generally the bigger your soul the bigger you are. This does not apply to the PC because that would make the game rather silly.

So then why are lovely hollows also way bigger than you? Simple; they reused Bloodborne assets for a lot of the enemies and had the animations mapped to bigger models.

Relin posted:

The first bone wizard is actually right behind the arch you pass through at the bottom of the stairs. Its just easy to not notice him since the camera hides him if you're facing forwards. If you actually attack him at the right time, he'll try to run away and get run over by his own boulder!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mr Confetti posted:

honestly it's pretty poo poo trying to read the body language of a fast moving boss only the size of your PC especially if they have unusual attacks so I figure most bosses are just abstracted

I pretty much assume anyone as big as Artorias/Ornstein/Farron's UL are really just PC height while dudes like Smough/Velstadt/DragonSlayerArmor are slightly beefier at 7 feet.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Trying to kill Aldrich at level 1 is going to be an excruciating pain in the rear end. Even helping Anri kill him took ten tries. Doing it solo... Hoo lawd.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Jesus christ, what did sorceror players do to Miyazaki to cause him to design the entire game to be horribly biased against magic damage?

Because I checked, absolutely no bosses are weak to magic according to Fextralife. And a significant chunk of them are resistant. Brilliant to have this dawn on me right at the Twin Princes, not like I can go back to fix the grievous error of wanting to play as a nerd.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
nerd.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Jesus christ, what did sorceror players do to Miyazaki to cause him to design the entire game to be horribly biased against magic damage?

Because I checked, absolutely no bosses are weak to magic according to Fextralife. And a significant chunk of them are resistant. Brilliant to have this dawn on me right at the Twin Princes, not like I can go back to fix the grievous error of wanting to play as a nerd.

From my experience, they don't have to be weak to magic for sorceries to be effective. They just can't be crazy resistant. The fact you can target and unload from afar makes a lot of the bosses a cake walk. This is especially true when you summon a npc phantom to tank some for you. I found the game much easier as a sorcerer than a melee character once you get your stats up and get your hands on some decent spells. Farron keep is when things started coming together for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Happy Hedonist posted:

From my experience, they don't have to be weak to magic for sorceries to be effective. They just can't be crazy resistant. The fact you can target and unload from afar makes a lot of the bosses a cake walk. This is especially true when you summon a npc phantom to tank some for you. I found the game much easier as a sorcerer than a melee character once you get your stats up and get your hands on some decent spells. Farron keep is when things started coming together for me.

Well the bosses that've given me the most trouble so far were Wolnir (who's broken, buggy and lovely regardless), Aldrich, Dancer and Oceiros. Two of which are 'crazy resistant', one which is designed in a way that fucks over sorcerors horribly, and one I never managed to get a phantom into because of a broken fog door. None of the rest have been cakewalks either, but those were the ones that really hurt. I've just given up on Oceiros.

I'm struggling with the Twin Princes, but that's not sorcery's fault, I just can't summon anyone to help me that isn't the almost laughably useless NPC phantoms. Even then though, Lothric's weak to physical, so physical attacks got a boss weak to them before magic did.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

iirc all the poo poo in the ds2 dlcs were resistant to magic as well

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think FROM is still regretting making magic OP on Demon's Souls wich is kind of stupid that they still couldn't find a way to make it useful in three dark souls games.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I finally found fallen knight set, soiled in or not, best looking armor I have found yet. Bloodborne rules dictate fashion over function. I guess it has the added bonus of not weighing a metric ton, so my days of carrying one weapon to avoid fat rolling are over.

Also gently caress giant crabs, they give me the willies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soiled and pissed in from the item description.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

:hfive: Not sure what it is about them, but they creep me the gently caress out.

And now I'm up to Irithyll and saved my game literally facing the water where the fake-dead-spider-thingies are :ohdear:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I finally found fallen knight set, soiled in or not, best looking armor I have found yet. Bloodborne rules dictate fashion over function. I guess it has the added bonus of not weighing a metric ton, so my days of carrying one weapon to avoid fat rolling are over.

Everytime I see a fallen knight set during invasions I can tell it's not going to be much of a fight. It seems like newbies like it a lot and get wrecked by a man wearing rags and a yellow turban.

On the subject of giant grabs, on my first playthrough I killed a baby crab and the giant mom crab came running from other side of the map to kill me. I thought it had to be a scripted trap but I'm not sure.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive: Not sure what it is about them, but they creep me the gently caress out.

And now I'm up to Irithyll and saved my game literally facing the water where the fake-dead-spider-thingies are :ohdear:

Oh these spiders... You'll enjoy them soon :getin:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Guillermus posted:

I think FROM is still regretting making magic OP on Demon's Souls wich is kind of stupid that they still couldn't find a way to make it useful in three dark souls games.

Sorceries are super powerful at 60 int with the two rings, and they have the added benefit of two more items that increase damage even more. With a mlgs, court sorcerer's staff and raw rear end you've got basically all your bases covered. With cmw, your raw rear end gets an ar of like 570, it just disintegrates everything it touches. Attune repair and get basically infinite moonshines from the mlgs, and those things are fun as hell to kill bosses with. Also a sorcerer will loving wreck the Nameless King, and can end the first phase in seconds.

edit: oh and they're good in pvp too, especially as part of a group since you could easily be one shot by a crystal soul spear while dodging other poo poo.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 13, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Guillermus posted:

Sorcerors were decent in DS1! I mean sure, if you wound up in PvP duels you were banking one hundred percent on it turning into Indiana Jones fighting the samurai (that happened once for me and it was glorious), but they were never really all that hosed over at any point of the game in terms of losing their damage output, and had a decent niche in co-op PvE as a really solid glass cannon. Magic wasn't as exploitable as lightning as a damage type, but you could always rely on it.

The thing in 3 (and apparently 2's DLCs, I only played the base game so I dunno) is that there's so many things that are specifically resistant to magic damage that sorcerors are REALLY screwed. Particularly you've got Aldrich who's mandatory and basically designed to make them ball up and cry, Oneiros is optional but not much better, and there's a lot more enemies that are strong against magic that I can't think of right now. Then there's fights like Wolnir, Dancer and the Deacons, who aren't resistant to magic but really heavily gently caress over the sorceror's playstyle, and it does just feel like the game loving hates you for playing a sorceror.

There's two times where I specifically felt like I was benefiting from playing a sorceror, and they both felt kind of exploitative: you can utterly clown the Old Demon King in the Smouldering Lake, and soul arrows travel just far enough that you can kill the two dragons at the Lothric Castle drawbridge without issue.

But I feel like I can deal with stuff like Dancer a lot better than I can deal with stuff like Aldrich, because that's just a matter of technique; a sorceror has to change up their playstyle a lot to survive Dancer, but their tools are still just as effective. It's the heavy resistances that hurt, because there's nothing you can learn from that, the questions of 'what am I doing wrong' and 'how can I overcome this' have answers far bigger, deeper and less fair than flubbing a dodge roll.

I think really, all that would have to happen to bring sorcerors more in line with the rest is to draw up two lists: things weak and resistant to fire, and things weak and resistant to magic. Then, play with those lists until they're about even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Only five more ears...