Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we were all 13 once and thought Judge Dredd was the hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Me to my Senators and congresswoman posted:

Dear (Senator)
I am writing this the afternoon after the shooting that had taken place in Orlando that had killed fifty people. By now it has come out that the shooter was Muslim and the club he attacked was a gay night club. All the usual things that you can say about this shooting are being said about this one now, including new calls for banning Muslims from the US.
Here is why this time around is making me mad. I am a Trans Woman who has been listening to the past month and a half about how Trans people are a threat to children if we allow them to use public bathrooms. Or Gay people having rights in this country would destroy the first amendment. Congressman Louie Gohmert said, two days ago, that the VA being allowed to perform reassignment surgery would put the lives of our veterans at risk(http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/louie-gohmert-oppose-transgender-rights-save-veterans-lives) The Lt. Governor of Texas this morning posted a bible verse that blamed the LGBT community for what had just happened.(http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-Lt-Governor-Dan-Patrick-tweets-reap-what-8076147.php) on twitter. Now all of the sudden when our community has been directly attacked people have been praying for us, and using this incident to show solidarity with the LGBT community.
Islam and ISIS did not kill fifty people last night. What killed them was homophobia and transphobia. If the GOP all of the sudden is deciding to care about the LGBT community because ISIS MIGHT be responsible. Then their feet must be put to the fire for their support. I am asking that you and your colleges in the Senate and Congress make a hard push for passing the laws that would make discrimination of all kinds against LGBT individuals illegal in the United States. If the GOP wants to help our community all of the sudden then that is what we want from them.

Anything I should add?

I know writing people in congress is pointless, but dammit I want to do something and this is all I got right now.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

gently caress em, it's not about strength in my suggestion, it's about "I hope he's rotting in some hell or another" more.

Also Breivik should've sprayed his own brains on some trees and saved the people over there even the smallest amount of time and money. Though it would've been nicer if he'd also opted to do that before he shot anyone else in the first place.

Neither, but murderous bigots still deserve to go to whichever hell regardless of anything. I'm just being angry idiot on the internet right now.

Murdering him would have made him a martyr. Instead he's an embarrasment who complains the lack of current gen video games in his cell is inhumane

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Atoramos posted:

There is not a human on this earth who would see such a thing and interpret it as strength.

Don't care. Couldn't care less right now

50 people gunned down and the good, honest people of the USA are debating What Does It Mean. What does it mean for my guns, my war, my presidential candidate, my posting career, my social media profile. It means, as a late American hero said, Muslims and faggots out of America

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Murdering him would have made him a martyr. Instead he's an embarrasment who complains the lack of current gen video games in his cell is inhumane

I wasn't saying they should have killed him, I said it would've been great if he'd just done himself first and skipped the part about killing a bunch of young people.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I wanted to see him in court, poorly making his case, failing to impress anyone and getting 50 consecutive life sentences. I wanted to be prison pen pals with him

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Yardbomb posted:

I wasn't saying they should have killed him, I said it would've been great if he'd just done himself first and skipped the part about killing a bunch of young people.

Yeah, and if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Back on topic. Absolute tragedy. Trouble is, coming out with hyperbolic and knee-jerking comments doesn't exactly help things. People are rightfully fired up about this whole situation, and it's natural to be all "kill-em-all" in the aftermath because it's a highly emotional thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately if it's justice you're after you're not going to see any. There ought to be some, but there won't be. Best you can hope for is a little ammunition to use against those who by rights should be the ones being hanged for their culpability in pushing people to do poo poo like shoot up nightclubs.

If it's catharsis you're after then unless you have the facility to murder every fundamentalist fuckhead who is paying lipservice to how tragic this was right now, well, you're probably not getting that either.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Republican rush to embrace The Gays because it gives them an excuse to be islamophobes reminds me of that line of world leaders marching for Charlie Hebdo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Problem with immediate kneejerking violent retribution is, like another poster said about the far-right in Europe, it ends up empowering neo-nazi fuckwits who would happily beat people for 'looking gay' any other day to go around beating people for 'looking Muslim' while feeling they've got some kind of popular mandate. And that also plays into exactly what groups like ISIS want; scared, angry, marginalized Muslims. And empowers the far right who will come up with other reasons to oppose LGBT rights.

No action will change what happened, but BigRed0427's thing with directing outrage into anti-discrimination legislation seems like the best kind of path, not smashing Mosques.

Ball Cupper posted:

Yeah, and if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.
Possibly the wrong thread for that particular idiom.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Badger of Basra posted:

The Republican rush to embrace The Gays because it gives them an excuse to be islamophobes reminds me of that line of world leaders marching for Charlie Hebdo.

And much like that, they will be abandoned with shocking speed as soon as they do something which disagrees with whatever things they hold dear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guavanaut posted:

And that also plays into exactly what groups like ISIS want; scared, angry, marginalized Muslims.

Indeed, they've been explicit about this. ISIS wants crackdowns against Muslims and wants a full-scale Western military assault against them.

People, please don't give ISIS what they want.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I hate his stupid combination bowl+buzz cut, I hate his stupid mirror selfies, I even sneer with contempt at the lovely cheap phone he took them with. Like the first and last time I played roulette I came close to understand gambling addiction when I put money on my lucky number, and the next higher number came out (and then my lucky number, and then zero), I'm coming close to understanding hate, like, real hate. I don't know if it's decency or ennui that's stopping me from going further

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

And much like that, they will be abandoned with shocking speed as soon as they do something which disagrees with whatever things they hold dear.

Hopefully all the good gays don't leave and we put out a bunch of islamophobic op-eds.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Guavanaut posted:

Possibly the wrong thread for that particular idiom.

Haha yeah, didn't think about that! Apologies.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Too late, we're already getting some incredibly bad op-eds! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/opinion/the-scope-of-the-orlando-carnage.html

quote:

But let’s be clear: This was no more an attack on L.G.B.T. people than the bloodshed at the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris was an attack on satirists.

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott spoke publicly of his heartache on Sunday, I saw complaints on social media about his own lack of support for issues important to L.G.B.T. people. Those complaints have merit.

But this isn’t a moment for identity politics, which could muddle the significance of the carnage. Yes, that carnage exposed the special vulnerability of L.G.B.T. Americans to violent extremists, recommending special levels of security. And there was a frightening coda to it on the opposite coast, in the Los Angeles area, where a man with an arsenal of weapons was arrested en route to gay pride festivities.

But the threat isn’t just to L.G.B.T. Americans, as past acts of terror have shown and as everyone today must recognize. All Americans are under attack, and not because of whom we drink, dance or sleep with, but because of our bedrock belief that we should not be subservient to any one ideology or any one religion. That offends and inflames the zealots of the world.

Jesus Christ.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This attack on gay people in a gay venue by an attacker claiming allegiance to a group that calls for the brutal execution of gay people isn't the time for identity politics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

This attack on gay people in a gay venue by an attacker claiming allegiance to a group that calls for the brutal execution of gay people isn't the time for identity politics.

They hate us for our freedoms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Too late, we're already getting some incredibly bad op-eds! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/opinion/the-scope-of-the-orlando-carnage.html

Jesus Christ.

Er, I thought that the charlie hebdo attacks were pretty much exactly an attack on satirists?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

What freedoms?

Oh, right, the freedom to be gay

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That columnist guy was the first out gay dude to be an op-ed NYT columnist, too. :(

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Also Breivik should've sprayed his own brains on some trees and saved the people over there even the smallest amount of time and money. Though it would've been nicer if he'd also opted to do that before he shot anyone else in the first place.

Breivik never intended to be caught alive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Badger of Basra posted:

Well, this attack proves this, at its core. The primary freedom under attack is the freedom to have a sexual relationship with whomever you choose in this case, and we need to not lose sight of that (nor the fact that homophobia in the US was very likely a motivating factor), but ultimately this was an attack on a right which we should hold sacred in a secular society, and it should be treated as such. When one such right comes under attack, we must treat it as if every freedom we have which they oppose is under attack. We shouldn't divide the results into categories when the causes are the same.

Of course, we should also take this opportunity to confront and eradicate homophobia in our own society.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a foolish pianist posted:

That columnist guy was the first out gay dude to be an op-ed NYT columnist, too. :(

Yea but Bruni was also the first NYT op-ed guy to actually just be a machine that spits out banality and random articles about Italy in alternating patterns, and frankly that's a bigger accomplishment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tune in for Bruni's next hot takes. Obama, he's pretty cool, and then two articles about how Italy is a neat place you guys you should check it out.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Jesus Christ.

Welp, I was assuming the violent homophobia of this attack would get elided.

I think that in the next few days and weeks it's important that we don't let the media whitewash this event into some random tragedy. The hatred this piece of poo poo felt for gay people is clear, and we can't let his religion absolve us of the responsibility of examining and fighting against the hatred of lgbt people that lots of people in our society have, whether they're Muslim, Christian, Atheist, whatever.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Badger of Basra posted:

That is literally the case this time, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Liberal_L33t posted:

Oh good you're here to tell us all Muslims need to be put into camps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

Tell us about your Fine Ol' Solution.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sharkie posted:

Welp, I was assuming the violent homophobia of this attack would get elided.

I think that in the next few days and weeks it's important that we don't let the media whitewash this event into some random tragedy. The hatred this piece of poo poo felt for gay people is clear, and we can't let his religion absolve us of the responsibility of examining and fighting against the hatred of lgbt people that lots of people in our society have, whether they're Muslim, Christian, Atheist, whatever.

:glomp: to you and all the rest, whether QUILT, BAG, or allies of.

It's a lovely couple events but tolerance is winning out... which is part of what upsets these fuckers so much. The best way to spit on this Omar fellow's grave is to keep working for justice, unity, and love. :3:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

hackbunny posted:

I hate his stupid combination bowl+buzz cut, I hate his stupid mirror selfies, I even sneer with contempt at the lovely cheap phone he took them with. Like the first and last time I played roulette I came close to understand gambling addiction when I put money on my lucky number, and the next higher number came out (and then my lucky number, and then zero), I'm coming close to understanding hate, like, real hate. I don't know if it's decency or ennui that's stopping me from going further

I think you need weed bro. When you admit your rage is irrational and still wanna go through with it, weed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Badger of Basra posted:

Jesus Christ.

Oh gently caress that guy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm also seeing some horrible responses from the Log Cabin Republicans that Obama should be acknowledging the threat of "radical Islam" and Pink Pistols saying this is proof all gay people should be armed because I'm definately sure that a dozen or more people trying to shoot a gunman in a dark and crowded night club would have gone well.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm also seeing some horrible responses from the Log Cabin Republicans that Obama should be acknowledging the threat of "radical Islam" and Pink Pistols saying this is proof all gay people should be armed because I'm definately sure that a dozen or more people trying to shoot a gunman in a dark and crowded night club would have gone well.

Except that there were three armed people at the scene, police officers. It didn't do poo poo except turn a shooting into a hostage situation

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Preach

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That being said, nothing's going to happen. If we couldn't do anything after a bunch of innocent kids were murdered during school then we're certainly not going to do anything for a bunch of folks who "choose" to live a sinful lifestyle getting shot up at a sin den nightclub.

:smith:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Obviously ISIS is trying to deplete our vital gay stores in this new front of the war on terror. We must protect the gays. Our nation, and all straight peoples of the free world, depend on them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kylra posted:

Obviously ISIS is trying to deplete our vital gay stores in this new front of the war on terror. We must protect the gays. Our nation, and all straight peoples of the free world, depend on them.

We cannot allow a Soddomy gap!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Checking in a day later and yep, still angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I know this got lost in the shuffle but has anyone seen any news on the young woman who was in the anti gay camp?

• Locked thread