Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Silvarret gives a first try on alpha 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2_ef-f1kQ

:captainpop:

I don't think I've been this excited for a game in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks Taeke. that's exactly what I was looking for

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You ever wonder what immature things you can make in Planet Coaster?

well look no further

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Hhpy3EUKY

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hihohe posted:

You ever wonder what immature things you can make in Planet Coaster?

well look no further

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Hhpy3EUKY

video games are art :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My god, he just keeps going :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I've been playing through RCT and I built a bobsled coaster for the first time.

Those things are loving nightmares, I can't imagine operating one in real life, let alone riding one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grapplejack posted:

So I've been playing through RCT and I built a bobsled coaster for the first time.

Those things are loving nightmares, I can't imagine operating one in real life, let alone riding one.

Bobsleds are great for teaching you how to build coasters. If you can manage the speed, you can easily move on to G forces. As a kid I always wanted my coasters to go as fast as possible, but nowadays I always try to get just enough speed to do whatever incline, turn, etc cleanly and without lots of excess speed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Grapplejack posted:

At least when they break it's your own fault usually, even if they're deathtraps. The water slides in rct1 are trashgarbage and you should never build them. The tubes will literally clog up and jam the entire coaster for no reason all the time. This won't trigger a breakdown message either so it just leaves angry people stuck on the ride and in queue.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Wait until you move onto haunted mansions in RCT2. :getin:

Those fuckers will straight-up lie to you during testing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

At least when they break it's your own fault usually, even if they're deathtraps. The water slides in rct1 are trashgarbage and you should never build them. The tubes will literally clog up and jam the entire coaster for no reason all the time. This won't trigger a breakdown message either so it just leaves angry people stuck on the ride and in queue.
The water slides are much less prone to clogging if you only have one chainlift and it's directly after the station.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Grapplejack posted:

I operated one in real life. This very special one. Broken special effects aside it was nuts. Every morning and every night we would need to do a "trough walk", walk inside the track, the entire length of the ride to check for any lost items or obstructions. This included climbing up some steep drops which was made even harder by the fact that the car's wheels would wear silver slick areas into the track which if you stepped on would make you fall. By the end of the summer my legs were so buff I could have gone mountain climbing easily.

Also even though it was an indoor ride, the roof leaked and the cars would start to fishtail around the track if we ran in the rain. It was not fun to be on the ride if that happened.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Still a buggy alpha, but some potential is shown..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCh2totrEc&t=94s

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Dante80 posted:

I am perfectly fine if this thread turns into nothing but sharing amazing videos of Planet Coaster

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So Planet Coaster finally did something "bad".

The Alpha2 tool that allowed props to be rotated in any direction could also applied to walls and roofs if you did a little exploit. This was used by Silvarret for his latest park and by many other builders. Even though it was a "bug" it made a lot of sense because now you could build buildings on angles or make crooked walls or any number of cool creative things.

Frontier just patched it out. They said they don't want people to rotate walls, they want unique wall parts for every variation of rotation you might need.

What the gently caress?!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

What?
Was there anyone, anywhere, that actually complained about that bug? Because from what I saw, the reaction was "Oh boy now I can rotate walls/roofs!" almost uniformly.

I mean it's great that they payed attention to feedback in that they noticed the bug, but it seems like they completely missed peoples reaction to said bug.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I imagine with enough outcry they might decide to change their mind on the idea, or at least provide pieces that can replicate what's been lost.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or Silvarret's sole testimony.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

So Planet Coaster finally did something "bad".

The Alpha2 tool that allowed props to be rotated in any direction could also applied to walls and roofs if you did a little exploit. This was used by Silvarret for his latest park and by many other builders. Even though it was a "bug" it made a lot of sense because now you could build buildings on angles or make crooked walls or any number of cool creative things.

Frontier just patched it out. They said they don't want people to rotate walls, they want unique wall parts for every variation of rotation you might need.

What the gently caress?!

While that's not very fun, you're still in good hands compared to their Elite Dangerous staff recently.

Most of the potential headaches for planet coaster will likely not roll in until they start doing work on management aspects, unlocks, or other aspects of the game where they would have a preferred pace/progression to. This one got fixed because it was an actual "Bug", as much as it not fitting their vision.

Now, if they re implement it and one of their lead devs reacts by posting a rambling three little pigs themed story about making players ragequit because they deserve it? Start worrying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Section Z posted:

Now, if they re implement it and one of their lead devs reacts by posting a rambling three little pigs themed story about making players ragequit because they deserve it? Start worrying.

I feel like there's a story behind this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel like there's a story behind this.

Previously, on Elite Dangerous.

Engineers expansion update gave ships super aggressive Skynet AI and cheat code weapons such as shotgun beam lasers, plasma cannons with fire rates of a beam laser, etc etc with the usual AI cheats of infinite ammo and no heat management needs.

Observe, an NPC with the slowest firing, most heat intensive, yet still ammo based weapon in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs&index=7

Their lead AI Dev's initial response to this when brought up (with some less outlandish, but still dead in 2 seconds videos) was basically "Working as intended, get good, you deserved to die". The loud majority of the player base who think being able to pay for gas is casual catering mindless grinding all agreed you should just get good, and that FINALLY the game is living up to it's name :downs: (The official forums Forced megathread culling all complaint thread's poll had 60% in favor of the state of affairs being "Just right for difficulty")

When days later it was acknowledged as indeed a holy poo poo bonkers as bugfuck bug, the lead AI dev posted a rambling three little pigs styled story about AI ships making mean old players ragequit. Titling it "The Mistress and the Three Little Pigs". Which she shortly deleted, but still :shepface:

Also, turns out the AI really is tuned to be overly homicidal right now too despite "Well it's not my AI's fault they hosed up the weaponry!" Latest patches are attempting to making NPCs not attack their own faction, for example.

If you are morbidly curious, Frontier's Lead AI Dev reaction story is quoted in this post.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What do you do when you're a game developer who has had some fairly public and boneheaded PR missteps over the last year or so? Have one of your lead devs flex their creative writing muscle!

Yikes
A silver lining is that they are setting up to reimburse all the players who got murdered back into the financial stone age by just refunding all insurance costs (and I think a few other losses) during the worst of it.

I haven't bothered to check in on the official forums again. But it is a given there is a lot of screaming that doing this is "catering to the casuals".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 4, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

64bitrobot posted:

I imagine with enough outcry they might decide to change their mind on the idea, or at least provide pieces that can replicate what's been lost.

Yeah if it's an actual bug I can see them patching it out, and then eventually bringing the ability back in with some interface.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

From reddit.

love the way you can use those semi-hidden paths. Together with a fairy/medieval theme down the line (as well as terrain sculpting), they would enable some pretty good fantasy compositions.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love the lighting.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Silverett's videos makes me less likely to play the game. Every time I load it up, I just kind of stare and think, you know, nothing I build is ever gonna look as good as his stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I pretty much never bothered with scenery in the RCT games. I am a caveman and I just want to build coasters.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Same. I like to build around already existing landscape/scenery, which is why big flat green maps does not interest me at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I feel like I'd be more inclined to play with scenery at least somewhat if it was free. When you're doing sim mode there's no point in building scenery half the time because that money could have built a new ride and bumped your ratings higher than scenery would.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel like I'd be more inclined to play with scenery at least somewhat if it was free. When you're doing sim mode there's no point in building scenery half the time because that money could have built a new ride and bumped your ratings higher than scenery would.

That right there is a big contributor to why I hate adding scenery. The money I spend placing trees, gardens and buildings everywhere is money I could spend on more rides.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-9eAMld_o

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I really like the feel of that first loop

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They posted a "community creations" video!

It's basically a Silvarett show-reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBFWNV3YAuQ

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

That's really great. I agree with the comment above about that first loop too.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I kind of wonder who made all the un-credited clips.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

thedaian posted:

I kind of wonder who made all the un-credited clips.

Silvarret.

I think they're all just different shots of the credited parks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Jesus christ that vertical drop over the waterfall. I felt vertigo and I wasn't even watching in fullscreen mode :stonklol:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did anyone else notice the reflective water under the kraken at 0:48?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

64bitrobot posted:

Did anyone else notice the reflective water under the kraken at 0:48?

click for full resolution.

The soldiers are animatronics, like the Kraken.

In other news, alpha 2.3 was released.

quote:

By popular demand, the winged coaster now has a chain lift variant.
Introduction of a new ride, the Venetian Carousel.
Certain coasters can now have a slope angle greater than 90 degrees. This is continued development.
Trees and bushes are now included in the 'Allow Supports to Intersect Scenery' toggle.
The 3 most frequent crashes have been fixed.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/7618-Alpha-2-3-update-is-going-live

The Carousel.

Lastly, for those that don't know, alpha 2 has a cheat code "tegidcam". This enables FPS mode in the game, with the camera zooming to character height and wasd controls for moving around your park in first person.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 18, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

And some ridiculous shots by Kukamonda.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Dante80 posted:

Lastly, for those that don't know, alpha 2 has a cheat code "tegidcam". This enables FPS mode in the game, with the camera zooming to character height and wasd controls for moving around your park in first person.

This is all I want from the game, I'm glad it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Right now my biggest concern outside of "Will there be a decent campaign mission set/Managment end?", is how lackluster nearly everything I make will be. Which is something Frontier has no fault :sigh:

Well, unless they decide to tune scenery influence on happiness and ride enjoyment boosts to the youtube clipshow top end :v: "Sure, you keep the paths clean and lined the roofed queue with rose bushes. But the minimum requirement for an increase is an animatronic steampunk airship cobbled together out of parts. Yes we know it's only the restroom."

EDIT: I'm also hoping their pathing can put monorails and trains and such to good use. As well as being able to conveniently set up multiple stops. My creativity is limited, but I think it would be cool to be able to arrange a reasonably working situation where guests can take a train to separate themed areas without the AI just going "gently caress it, I can't walk to it, it doesn't exist"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 19, 2016