Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm only halfway through this episode and its a massive step down from last week. That scene with Tyrion, Greyworm and Missandei is absolutely painful to watch.

Sandor loving owned though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahf987
May 11, 2009
[quote="kater" post="460971622"]
I'm flabbergasted by how bad this episode was. It is fascinating that you can have so many freaking great actors act the poo poo out of one of the blandest scripts possible.

I was ok, although Arya's part left a lot to be desired and kind of sunk the episode. I think this season is still batting over 500 though.

Just a FYI, I was wondering where I saw lady crane before when I first saw her in this season. She is The Babadook mom. She had the most memorable scream out of any horror movie actress I have ever seen. Also, Davos was the priest in the 15 minuet single take in Hunger. The casting director deserves an appreciative node from show followers. I can only imagine how uncomfortable scenes like Brienne's + Jaime's bath speeches, and Tywins death'oh toilet would be without proper actors.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Is Cersei going to accidentally her son with wildfire?

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

If the Blackfish had pointed out to Brienne that the Lannisters would have to hunt for him, if he leaves with them he'll just get them captured too, it would have made his decision a bit less strange seeming. I actually thought him not having a death scene was fine, he wasn't defeated with a sword, he was defeated on the battlements.

Blackfish goes missing just before the most dramatic poo poo goes down ever, and shows up again after years only to die offscreen...

Vitamin P posted:

The guy playing Edmure was great this ep and Missandei "prettiest woman in planetos" of Naath doing a tipsy giggle smile, holy moly.

I love that actor. I could watch him all day, and there was some nice dialogue.

To me he always sounds like he's between bites of lamb shanks in burgundy sauce when he talks.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Scene 1:

The Maester of Dreadfort reads a sheep skin under dim candle light. It's raining outside, thunder and lightning are visible through the window from time to time. The camera zooms in on the sheep skin from behind the Maeater. The only thing written on it are the words "Reek" and "Theon". He slowly circles both names with a medieval text highlighter and then very slowly draws and equal sign between them. He exclaims "I think Theon, who was tortured last month and was castrated, is now called Reek." Cut to intro.

Show if the year.

Cut to the LOST intro, shirley?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That episode was mostly shite (and I'm not someone who gives a poo poo about the adaption not following the book perfectly) but that Arya chase scene came out of nowhere and was a hell of a lot of fun.

Everything involving Sandor was incredible too. So loving good seeing Berric and Thoros return as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Verviticus posted:

also lol at the people that actually care that jaime said catapalt instead of trebuchet. a catapult even makes more sense for launching a baby anyways

I don't think people are mad because it's just got to be a trebuchet or St Grrm's holy word has been profaned, it's more that it's a completely trivial change that literally has no reason to exist except for a lack of respect for the intelligence of the audience. Its emblematic of the broader clumsiness of the show's writing, but also it serves as a reminder that the show isn't being aimed to the book readers at all anymore (for the last five seasons really) and can count on having a vast viewerbase of people who don't really know or care about things like what a trebuchet is, or what Lysa's sister's name was even though she was a major character for the first three years of the show.

Trudis posted:

Only catapult.

Yeassssssss

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but I found it funny how the first thing they knew of Dany's return was some noises on the roof of the pyramid. It implies that they have no lookouts on the outside that would notice the dragon approaching, even though they are already being bombarded by the Yunkai fleet.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The only other possibility I can think of is to Lady Tyrell but that's like a several month march. Even in GoT tv show travel times, that's a stretch.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
"That won't help you here" Steps forward, Arya cuts candle.
"Those won't help you here"
Outside shot of the door, no motion except for maybe someone walking past, then thud and door goes to open. It's Waif, looks distraught. Sword stabs through her chest, she gets pulled back in, door closes.
Go back to still shot, slow fade to next scene.

This is how that should have happened, D&D.

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 13, 2016

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still can't get over all the work that went in to making the Lannister siege, like just production wise, only for the solution to be threatening Edmure (Was he not before?) and then the guards acting like imbeciles not once but twice. Brienne's little boat should have been clogged with people evacuating because holy gently caress who would want to stay.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think they oversold Arya's endurance but I do think it was interesting that she had to use all her previous training to escape and kill the Waif. Also I think the rumor Cersei is investigating has to do with the secret Tommen told her, which he learned from the High Sparrow, which would probably be the involvement of the Tyrell's in Joffrey's murder.

E: It was too bad Blackfish "died" because it was clear that Jaime wanted to send him North after all, as a sop to Brienne I guess.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 13, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
No wonder the nights watch has like 15 members left when everyone given a choice prefers to suicide

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

This episode felt weird. It had a completely different vibe...shot weird, especially out of character/bland writing, etc. No idea what the gently caress is up with that.

That preview for next week, though :toot:

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So who thinks Rickon is gonna get dead at some point in the next two episodes?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Tellah posted:

There's plenty to hate in this episode, but Jaime's arc was apparently so subtle that everybody missed the point.

Jaime has matured in the show, and his relationship with Brienne represents that. Jaime knows that the Blackfish will never surrender Rivverrun, and that Brienne will never leave until she fulfills her charge. She even insists to him that he will have to kill her if she fails and he does not force a peaceful resolution to the siege.

All of his baby-catapulting bravado in the scene with Edmure was a bluff. Although he still loves Cersei - and he was brutally honest in that regard - his 'negotiations' with Edmure were borne out of his desire to protect Brienne. The only way to ensure her safety was to convince Edmure to assume control of the Tully forces and then surrender, with the caveat that he would just kill everyone anyway if Edmure declined. To sell that angle he had to act the Kingslayer that Edmure, and most everyone, believes him to be.

Jaime, as always, has to act monstrous to protect others (see: killing Aerys, pushing Bran, threatening to eat babies).

So congratulations idiots, they did exactly 1 interesting thing in this episode and you missed it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA What the gently caress is this pitiable attempt at a saving throw? Have you not learned anything from Arya's plot? NOTHING in this show has a hidden subtext or ulterior motive anymore. Everything is played at face value. If Jaime says "I'm going to throw your baby from a catapult to go gently caress Cersei" he means "He is going to throw a baby from a catapult to go gently caress Cersei".

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also, why the gently caress didn't Jamie offer to have the men in the castle take the black? That's pretty much always your option. Either you're killed, or you take the black.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Awful episode. What a terrible end to Arya's Braavos arc. Jaquen's little smirk at the end sums it all up really, doesn't it? "What a loving waste of time. Can I go to Oldtown now and do my proper storyline?"

However, what I really couldn't stand was that we got yet another loving scene of Tyrion drinking and trying to make conversation in a dimly-lit room while Grey Worm and Missy, two boring non-characters, sit there being awkward as hell. How many scenes have we had like that now? Why do they exist?

Episode did have a few good things, though:

The ships hurling flaming shot at the city was awesome and very Total War esque (although it's really loving dumb how they've suddenly rushed that plot into the show with zero build-up, and are obviously going to wrap it up quickly as well).

The Hound randomly axe murdering those dudes like it was no thing. Are we even sure they were with the BWB? I choose to believe not. Show is dumb as hell so they should just make that a running joke with him now. Like, he axes a bunch of folks every time he wants to find the nearest place that serves grilled chicken.

Pod & Bronn. Usual dumb, crass poo poo that D&D love to bits, but at least Bronn's actor makes it work so well.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 13, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think they oversold Arya's endurance but I do think it was interesting that she had to use all her previous training to escape and kill the Waif.

What? She didn't used no poison or faceswapping nor stick fighting. The only thing she used was blind fighting. I don't remember le parkour being part of her training either. And good luck for her that apparently the waif skipped the blind part of the training, besides being more more advanced then her in the faceless school.

Lord Twisted posted:

Also, why the gently caress didn't Jamie offer to have the men in the castle take the black? That's pretty much always your option. Either you're killed, or you take the black.

Why would anyone take taking the vows seriously when you have a lord commander quit the NW and go fight a rebellion and nobody gives a poo poo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Drunk in Space posted:

The ships hurling flaming shot at the city was awesome and very Total War esque (although it's really loving dumb how they've suddenly rushed that plot into the show with zero build-up, and are obviously going to wrap it up quickly as well).

What, you don't consider 3 episodes of Tyrion going around, being smug and pointing out to random people how he fixed slavery by giving whores to the slavers who have easy access to them proper build up for when it eventually backfires on him? This is show of the year quality writing, son!

Also, Slaver's Bay is a bay. How the gently caress did Varys' ship sail past the Yunkaii army?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Illinois Smith posted:

o no for realsies? Thanks for clearing that up!

re: the Durden theory in particular

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Also, Slaver's Bay is a bay. How the gently caress did Varys' ship sail past the Yunkaii army?

He is on a diplomatic mission to Westeros.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rotacixe posted:

And you think that is not even more of a reason not to let him pass and sink his ship? His diplomatic mission to Westeros could be him recruiting more people for Mereen as far as the Yunkaii know.

Ships don't go in or out from a city during a siege, otherwise Davos wouldn't have had the need to smuggle food into Storm's End he could have just "lol, diplomatic mission guys" his way in.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 13, 2016

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why would anyone take taking the vows seriously when you have a lord commander quit the NW and go fight a rebellion and nobody gives a poo poo

Why would Dany care that Varys implanted himself into the trust of her innermost advisors during her absence when she already banished Jorah for his association with the Eunuch? His presence in Mereen will never be mentioned to Dany nor will she distrust Tyrion for his relationship with Gary's. D and D do not give a shite.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i liked the episode

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

And you think that is not even more of a reason not to let him pass and sink his ship? His diplomatic mission to Westeros could be him recruiting more people for Mereen as far as the Yunkaii know.

For real, I assumed that since the scenes of Varys departing and the slavers arriving weren't sequential, enough time had passed for this not to be a question.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

The Hound randomly axe murdering those dudes like it was no thing. Are we even sure they were with the BWB? I choose to believe not. Show is dumb as hell so they should just make that a running joke with him now. Like, he axes a bunch of folks every time he wants to find the nearest place that serves grilled chicken.

They're the same guys that were with Lem, Sandor even asks the bald one "where's the other one, the one with the yellow cloak."

http://imgur.com/a/OZwXz

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 13, 2016

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If there is one thing that is actually bad about the show, it is how impossible it is to track the time and progression/connectedness of all the plots.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rotacixe posted:

For real, I assumed that since the scenes of Varys departing and the slavers arriving weren't sequential, enough time had passed for this not to be a question.

Time passage is weird in the show I grant you that, but a fleet as big as Yunkai was commanding would have had to be on the sea for weeks, and Yunkai is on the way out of Slaver's Bay, so unless Varys' ship sailed through showValyria (since it's not an interesting place) they should have totally spotted Varys' ship.

The best explanation is that Varys has shared custody of Westeros' only Teleport device with Littlefinger and he is on his way to dropping it for the weekend now that LF needs it to teleport the Vale army into Winterfell.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The Varys/Tyrion scene was hilarious. It was literally just "brb, gotta go to KL and kill Kevan Lannister"

D&D: "That's another box ticked, good good."

lezard_valeth posted:

What, you don't consider 3 episodes of Tyrion going around, being smug and pointing out to random people how he fixed slavery by giving whores to the slavers who have easy access to them proper build up for when it eventually backfires on him? This is show of the year quality writing, son!

I just love how the siege itself, which is obviously a big deal in the books and has had a lot of development put into it, just suddenly injects itself into the show. Like, "Surprise! Here's a giant fleet come to attack you out of nowhere! While you're drinking and telling jokes and not prepared at all!" People tend to know when large amounts of warships are moving about. Did they ever mention in the show that the masters were on their way? I must admit that Tyrion's scenes this season have been so dreadfully loving boring that I've been struggling to pay attention.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rotacixe posted:

"If this is a diplomatic mission, then where is the ambassador?"

Lovechop posted:

i liked the episode

I liked the non-Arya stuff for the most part. Jamie/Brienne was solid, Mountain ripping a dude's head off was great, the Hound stuff was very good.

Having the Blackfish die offscreen with some loving extra announcing it was so bad, though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Drunk in Space posted:

People tend to know when large amounts of warships are moving about. Did they ever mention in the show that the masters were on their way?

To be fair, that's because there's lookout posts and scouting ships, and Mereen I guess literally has no ships left (Varys must have taken the last one?). Which kind of makes it a pointless port.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lezard_valeth posted:

Time passage is weird in the show I grant you that, but a fleet as big as Yunkai was commanding would have had to be on the sea for weeks, and Yunkai is on the way out of Slaver's Bay, so unless Varys' ship sailed through showValyria (since it's not an interesting place) they should have totally spotted Varys' ship.

The best explanation is that Varys has shared custody of Westeros' only Teleport device with Littlefinger and he is on his way to dropping it for the weekend now that LF needs it to teleport the Vale army into Winterfell.

A fleet that big would probably also have been seem by someone before start shooting at the walls

We have to believe the fleet also teleported there. Than they lend the portal to Varys

Nail Rat posted:

To be fair, that's because there's lookout posts and scouting ships, and Mereen I guess literally has no ships left (Varys must have taken the last one?). Which kind of makes it a pointless port.

Their military fleet was, but dont Meeren have any fisherman, any merchant ships going in and out?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think they oversold Arya's endurance but I do think it was interesting that she had to use all her previous training to escape and kill the Waif.
Did she though? I mean, they didn't actually show much of her training, apart from a shitload of stickfighting and some light poisoning. It felt like she mostly survived through plot armor, not by aplying poo poo she learned through the last two seasons.

Of course, the one thing she learned that she did use (how to fight the Waif while blind) wasn't actually shown.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Drunk in Space posted:

The Varys/Tyrion scene was hilarious. It was literally just "brb, gotta go to KL and kill Kevan Lannister"

D&D: "That's another box ticked, good good."

More like "I need to remove myself from the scene now that Daenerys is coming back since I had assassins on her during s1 and not even Dave loving Hill can write a proper argument around that".

And yeah, despite season 5 being season 5, and season 5 being the season that has Dorne in it, I actually liked it more than what has transpired in season 6 so far.

They have killed off a bunch of characters in rapid succesion to simplify the plot, and yet some characters have only had 2/3 scenes so far this season (Sam, Bran) simply because they couldn't come up with things to write about them, and instead resorted to wasting time with nothing conversations over and over and over. Is this the Walking Dead?

The plot is moving at lightspeed when it actually moves, instead of pacing a bit each scene to build momentum around it. For example:

Daenerys:

" Oh snap she has been captured by the Dothraki...oh nvm they are cool with her. Oh the Dosh Kaleen won't let her go...Oh she set everything on fire and now she is on her way to Mereen...and she learned how to control Drogon" CHECK!

Theon

"I must leave...now I'm gone and back to the Iron Islands. I'mma help you be queen...Ok that didn't work out, now we are on Volantis" CHECK

Jon
"I'm dead...Ok now I'm not...Getting ready for Bastardbowl, will you fight for me? Cool! Will you fight for me? No? Oh well, let's skip ahead into Bastardbowl, that's what you all came for" CHECK

Jaime
"Our daughter died...Ok that is Dorne-related so we gonna ignore it, let's fight the High Sparrow...That didn't work out, now I have to go get Riverrun back...Done" CHECK

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What is a Hodor Basket?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

More like "I need to remove myself from the scene now that Daenerys is coming back since I had assassins on her during s1 and not even Dave loving Hill can write a proper argument around that".

"I was following my king's orders, also didn't you notice it was a pretty lovely assassin? I could have hired a Faceless Man, but I went with the 'Gonna pose as a wine merchant and try to poison her' guy out of respect for you."

Hell, how would Dany even know that Varys was the one orchestrating the assassination attempts?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I think the point is that a large fleet of warships can't just move about on a whim*. They'd have to be organized first, provisioned, crewed. It would take time to marshal all the men, supplies and materials required, not to mention building new ships as necessary. News would have spread that the Masters were up to something long before any of the ships set sail.

* FAKE EDIT: Actually, lol, I just realized that this is the show where Yara and Theon did pretty much exactly that only a couple of eps ago, so forget it. (unless they only had a relatively small number of ships, I guess)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lezard_valeth posted:

Varys was actually on team Dany from the start, so he could just say he deliberately sent lovely assassin or tipped off Jorah from the start. The sticking point with Jorah was that she had to find out from a third person that he was the mole. They'd have to go through some serious effort to make it more than the fourth-stupidest thing to happen this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
One thing that always strikes me about the scenes where Tyrion the little Westerosi halfman is wandering around Meereen: how come he never has any guards with him clearing a path? The scene between him and Varys where there's a bunch of citizens milling around them made it seem like they were just a couple of nobodies, not the two people who are basically running the city. And then Tyrion turns around about to disappear into the crowd. It's weird as hell and reminds me a bit of that 1st season scene where Robert's royal hunt consisted of him walking on foot with a spear and maybe three other dudes.

• Locked thread