Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The best in life is of course to pop out kids as wildly as possible to further your dynasty, so that you end up with an entire realms of solely your own dynasty, just waiting to repeat the Habsburger success.

Which gets incredibly boring after a while. Populate your realm with about 10 strong families, and give out new land to unlanded members of these dynasties. It's a huge tangled web of alliances (pre-conclave) and can be incredibly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The 14-year-old Queen of Serbia wanted a betrothal to my 56-year-old uncle. The most logical explanation is her 54-year-old Queen Mother regent wanted some strange and saw a nice woodcut of him.

Result:

:iiam:

She did wind up offering the marriage herself, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

#SunKingLyfe

i don't actually know if louis xiv's son/grandson were any good at politiking
Louis XVI was actually a pretty poo poo, short sighted, weak king, the "revolution" started with a third-estate pretty much pro-king (and slightly anti-nobility) but he went against the changes they were asking him to commit in order to prevent national bankruptcy because they would have ruined a few pf his and his wife's noble friends and rich church members. It was, among other things, about cutting the insanely large expanses of the pretty inefficient Versailles system of rulership while keeping him as head of state. In the end, he didn't even kept his head.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dareon posted:

The 14-year-old Queen of Serbia wanted a betrothal to my 56-year-old uncle. The most logical explanation is her 54-year-old Queen Mother regent wanted some strange and saw a nice woodcut of him.

Result:

:iiam:

She did wind up offering the marriage herself, though.

He's got a huuuge........ tract of land.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Louis XVI was actually a pretty poo poo, short sighted, weak king, the "revolution" started with a third-estate pretty much pro-king (and slightly anti-nobility) but he went against the changes they were asking him to commit in order to prevent national bankruptcy because they would have ruined a few pf his and his wife's noble friends and rich church members. It was, among other things, about cutting the insanely large expanses of the pretty inefficient Versailles system of rulership while keeping him as head of state. In the end, he didn't even kept his head.

How on earth do you people keep misreading that

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Check out the spoiler in the post that guy quoted

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

cool and good posted:

lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I couldn't resist. My Khagan was linked to the Karlings and had weak claims on everything in Francia, but I didn't have enough boats to carry my horses in any meaningful quantity until he was around 54. He then died a couple years after the war to a random Fraticelli uprising.

But during the war, holy poo poo was everyone involved hot poo poo.

Strictly 2000 heavy horse, fighting and winning against a force nearly twice their number.

Naturally, everyone around me has defensive pacts now, but oddly the Umayyads don't. It's very tempting to subjugate them and see just how high I can shoot my threat level, but I really think I should take some time and raze what I've got to grazing land.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

cool and good posted:

Holy poo poo you lunatics

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Holy poo poo you lunatics

Oops my mistake (other than telling you to look at your own post) was thinking for some reason that XV and XVI were actually the son and grandson when I should have known the dates were way off for that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am trying to learn this game and am doing the Ireland start. I pressed my claim on one of my du jure counties and won it, but my new vassal hates me and won't cough up the levies. So is there anything I should be doing except waiting for him to come around or maybe giving him a gift even though I'm still poor?

I guess my real question is, is waiting around while my money and prestige grow correct or are there things I should be doing to expedite these things?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

I am trying to learn this game and am doing the Ireland start. I pressed my claim on one of my du jure counties and won it, but my new vassal hates me and won't cough up the levies. So is there anything I should be doing except waiting for him to come around or maybe giving him a gift even though I'm still poor?

I guess my real question is, is waiting around while my money and prestige grow correct or are there things I should be doing to expedite these things?

You can always have him assassinated. Alternatively, revoke the title and give it to someone more grateful.

There's nothing wrong if you're doing a lot of waiting around though - CK2 tends to be about setting a bunch of things up and then letting it run at speed 4 or 5 until something interesting happens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're just starting out then take Seduction focus and spend the next 30 years cranking out bastards (legitimizing the boys and ignoring the girls) and seeding your dynasty all over the known world. It's a good way to pass the time while awaiting opportunities to grow and/or consolidate your realm.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I tend to just wait for new vassals to either come around or die.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Because most people know jackshit about the insanely large house of bourbon succession line and i took your "son and grandson" comment as meaning "two following kings of his line" because honestly it's the only ones whose intelligence mattered Louis XV (great-grandson of Louis XIV) and Louis XVI ( Grandson of Louis XV). Who ever give a poo poo about Le Grand and le Petit Dauphins, nowadays.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 13, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Waiting around is normal and natural for this game, especially when you're small and poor, and shifting people's opinion of you is often a long-term project. Unless he dies, in which case his heir will generally be more agreeable (unless you're caught sticking the knife in his back).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Toplowtech posted:

Because most people know jackshit about the insanely large house of bourbon succession line and i took your "son and grandson" comment as meaning "two following kings of his line" because honestly it's the only ones whose intelligence mattered Louis XV (great-grandson of Louis XIV) and Louis XVI ( Grandson of Louis XV). Who ever give a poo poo about Le Grand and le Petit Dauphins, nowadays.

But... the topic of discussion was literally groomed heirs who died before the reigning king?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

But... the topic of discussion was literally groomed heirs who died before the reigning king?
Well, then the Grand Dauphin spent his life under the shadow of his domineering father in a military engineer post under Vauban (his life is literally a list of sieges and military grades) and his son the Petit Dauphin died one year after his father, of measles in his 20s, because he stayed too long near his dear dying wife and caught the disease. His children died of the disease too. His brother was Philip V of Spain so i guess we could look there but the treaty makes that side succession unlikely. So we have one military guy and one kid too in love to stay alive, do their lifes spent not ruling in a privileged position waiting for the crown inform us enough on their intellectual level and ability as potential rulers? Not really. Note that one side of the family did try vaccination when the measles struck (vaccination was decried by the church at the time, despite its success amongst the English royalty) and that's how most of their kids survived. It's that same Orleans side of the family that would later reign in France (after Charles X, another "pure" bourbon, got kicked out of the country) and btw said Orleans King was a descendant of the Orleans member of parliament during the Revolution who voted Death at the vote which sentenced Louis XVI to death by ONE vote, so we kinda know which side of the family was less stupid and more politically savy. The last Non-Orleans pure Bourbon claimant to the French throne literally refused the throne at a time when France was ready to try a new bourbon king (after Napoleon III) because he wanted to go back to the white flag. Monarchist MPs were seen crying in the parliament's hemicycle at the news of his "flag change" demand. He died later childless ending the "Legitimist" claimant line, now it's mostly Orleans (count of paris line) and spanish bourbon claimants (the last spanish one is quite pretty but i think he is also the grandson of Franco by his mother so lol, good luck to sell that in a republic).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 13, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Toplowtech posted:

The last Non-Orleans pure Bourbon claimant to the French throne literally refused the throne at a time when France was ready to try a new bourbon king (after Napoleon III) because he wanted to go back to the white flag. Monarchist MP were seen crying in the parliament's hemicycle at the news of his flag change demand.

This isn't really just a matter of silly preference, though, there's some very real heavy symbolism. I don't think comparing the Bourbon white flag to the Confederate flag is anything but a really rough analogy, but that white flag stood for a whole lot of poo poo that even late 19th-century French royalists knew had been consigned to the dustbin of history. Like, if Republicans in New York City ran a very successful candidate for mayor who was managing to pull in the black vote, and then suddenly showed up at a press conference flanked by the Stars and Bars, insisting that the city's flag be redesigned to incorporate it somehow. The Bourbon pretender in question was basically a political coelacanth from the ancien régime.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Well, then the Grand Dauphin spent his life under the shadow of his domineering father in a military engineer post under Vauban (his life is literally a list of sieges and military grades) and his son the Petit Dauphin died one year after his father, of measles in his 20s, because he stayed too long near his dear dying wife and caught the disease. His children died of the disease too. His brother was Philip V of Spain so i guess we could look there but the treaty makes that side succession unlikely. So we have one military guy and one kid too in love to stay alive, do their lifes spent not ruling in a privileged position waiting for the crown inform us enough on their intellectual level and ability as potential rulers? Not really. Note that one side of the family did try vaccination when the measles struck (vaccination was decried by the church at the time, despite its success amongst the English royalty) and that's how most of their kids survived. It's that same Orleans side of the family that would later reign in France (after Charles X, another "pure" bourbon, got kicked out of the country) and btw said Orleans King was a descendant of the Orleans member of parliament during the Revolution who voted Death at the vote which sentenced Louis XVI to death by ONE vote, so we kinda know which side of the family was less stupid and more politically savy. The last Non-Orleans pure Bourbon claimant to the French throne literally refused the throne at a time when France was ready to try a new bourbon king (after Napoleon III) because he wanted to go back to the white flag. Monarchist MPs were seen crying in the parliament's hemicycle at the news of his "flag change" demand. He died later childless ending the "Legitimist" claimant line, now it's mostly Orleans (count of paris line) and spanish bourbon claimants (the last spanish one is quite pretty but i think he is also the grandson of Franco by his mother so lol, good luck to sell that in a republic).

Thanks, that was pretty interesting.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

This isn't really just a matter of silly preference, though, there's some very real heavy symbolism. I don't think comparing the Bourbon white flag to the Confederate flag is anything but a really rough analogy, but that white flag stood for a whole lot of poo poo that even late 19th-century French royalists knew had been consigned to the dustbin of history. Like, if Republicans in New York City ran a very successful candidate for mayor who was managing to pull in the black vote, and then suddenly showed up at a press conference flanked by the Stars and Bars, insisting that the city's flag be redesigned to incorporate it somehow. The Bourbon pretender in question was basically a political coelacanth from the ancien régime.
France literally spent the 19th century fighting under the tricolore, it's the flag of the Empire, Napoleon and the Nation (as opposed to the kingdom). The confederate flag is a bad example, it's more like "actually in position to gain power by some dark magic" Emperor Norton asking for an union jack themed flag, probably insanely unpopular. He could have asked for a gold lys in the white part of the flag, that would have probably passed but no he was stupid. Then it was 3th republic for 70+ years and no one cared about the monarchy anymore.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

By Norton's time, Americans has spent roughly the same amount of time living in a republic and had no monarchist movement, much less a powerful royalist coalition in Congress, so that seems like an even poorer analogy to me?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

By Norton's time, Americans has spent roughly the same amount of time living in a republic and had no monarchist movement, much less a powerful royalist coalition in Congress, so that seems like an even poorer analogy to me?
It is because it's pretty hard to find a good one with America without some crazy alt reality bullshit. By the time of the count of Chambord, it was a meagre monarchist and imperialist-in-need-of-a-strong-leadership majority in parliament and the king friendly president Mac Mahon that made his crowning a possibility. Also the republican started the GIVE THE STATUE OF LIBERTY to America for their 100 birthday campaign after the flag demand sunk the monarchy return as a way to energize the republican cause. Pretty successful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OK, but my only actual point is that there was more to the flag demand than just eccentric idiocy. It symbolized the man's antipathy to everything that had happened post-1789. All monarchs in France after the Revolution had to reign with at least the image of being something other than absolutists of the Louis XIV mold (i.e., an emperor who "fulfilled" the Revolution, two constitutional monarchs, a "bourgeois king," and a populist-to-liberal emperor) and if it seemed like they were trying for something else, they got the boot (see: Charles X). Henri's appeal to unite behind his stainless banner indicated his intent to not even pretend.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

All monarchs in France after the Revolution had to reign with at least the image of being something other than absolutists of the Louis XIV mold (i.e., an emperor who "fulfilled" the Revolution, two constitutional monarchs, a "bourgeois king," and a populist-to-liberal emperor) and if it seemed like they were trying for something else, they got the boot (see: Charles X). Henri's appeal to unite behind his stainless banner indicated his intent to not even pretend.
The insane political context probably also played a role really. A few have theorized that because his attempt to get the crown happened after the commune of Paris, he believed that the current political lack of reluctance to murder Parisian proletarian insurrectionists by the thousands to protect the bourgeois shops was a total rejection of the revolution values by said Parisian bourgoisie and he could go back straight to the good old regime. Starting with the flag.
Also he was Charles X's grandson, and Charles X was kicked out for his dickish absolutist attempt to censor all the press. So yeah grand daddy was surely a constitutional monarch (imposed by the british-german victors) but also a full dickhead who hosed over his own more voltairian brother attempt to a slightly more liberal form of monarchy by downing most of his ministers. And it's not surprising that his grand son was a reactionnary dickhead anyway, after all daddy was shot by a bonapartist when he was still inside mother's womb.
Charitably, i will said he was just an angry reactionary who misread the political climate and failed straight from the start at his initial litmus test, the flag.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 13, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If you really want the perfect example of the craziness of 19th French politics, though, it's the Boulanger Affair.

Third time is not the charm!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

If you really want the perfect example of the craziness of 19th French politics, though, it's the Boulanger Affair.

Third time is not the charm!
Literally :suicide::rip: And just after that the deadliest cokefueled blowjob in the Elysée and Dreyfus.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a good guide for dealing with the council?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Burn them

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I tried that empty seats count as a no vote :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a good guide for dealing with the council?

There are a few general approaches to dealing with the council.

#1) Neuter powerful vassals. This is where you put all your strongest vassals in council seats so they can't join factions, which will basically eliminate the risk of a revolt since if you've been delegating well you probably shouldn't have so many powerful vassals that they still pose a threat even after filling all 5-7 slots. The downside to this is that they probably won't have the best stats for the job (sometimes you get lucky) and also might make your life difficult trying to get stuff done since there's no guarantee they'll like you (although they will absolutely like you MORE for being put on the council - that -30 "not on the council" malus for powerful vassals is fairly hefty).

#2) Stock it with sycophants. If you just want to get poo poo done, sort your realm by opinion of you, and fill your council with the dudes at the top of the list. Since these almost certainly aren't going to be powerful vassals or even vassals at all (courtiers almost always like you better than vassals do), you have to deal with a lot of faction bullshit but it's still entirely possible to keep your realm content enough not to revolt without giving up council slots to people who will block anything you want to do. This can work if you've been ruling for a long time and people generally like you, or if you just fought back a major revolt and all the biggest threats are sitting in your dungeon.

#3) Best fit for the job. This is the pre-conclave method where you just get the guys with the best stats. Not all of the advisor jobs really matter so honestly I'd only bother with this over #1 or #2 for the Marshal and the Spymaster, and Chancellor if you're trying to fabricate a claim. Steward can get away with being kind of lovely since it's not a HUGE impact to your income (especially since post-conclave you'll be getting a lot more income from vassals than you used to), and court chaplain basically doesn't matter, although depending on your religion you may be restricted in who is allowed to hold that job anyway. If you're a kingdom or empire, the stats do not matter at all for the advisor positions.

Regardless of how you decide to staff your council, also remember that you only need at most 3 members to vote yes to pass anything (a 50% split counts as a pass, and as the ruler your vote is automatically counted as being in favour of the thing you proposed), so if you get 3 loyalists on your council that is as good as having 7 (although if you have malcontents they will get favours from the loyalists to have them vote against you), and if you've got a mixed council you should only have to get favours from 1-2 people tops. Also, if you owe someone a favour, you can get rid of it at any time by offering to buy it from them. They may reject it if they have something they want you to do for them but a lot of the time they'll be happy to take your money. Also, the amount it costs to buy favours from someone is proportional to their rank, so if you only need to buy one vote, go for the counts before you go for the kings. The court chaplain is often a very cheap bribe because theocratic characters will rarely hold titles higher than duke.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 13, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it's dumb that nomadic succession doesn't let bephews inherit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this! is! sparta!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Regarding the council positions, please remember that the most important qualification for your spymaster is not a high skill level or big realm power, it's a high opinion of you. A mediocre nobody that likes you is a better spymaster than a powerful vassal or eludive shadow who doesn't like you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And no Ambitious trait. Which is a bit harder with Conclave since there's a fairly common childhood event that will make characters Ambitious. I always have to skip the first six or so candidates if I want a competent one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Another DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-development-diary-10-live-long-yet-futilely-and-prosper.947921/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Interesting, I always wished see economy and demographics taking some part on this game. Seems very limited in scope, though

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is there a "greatest hits" list of the dlc available? I remember someone saying once that a couple of them aren't worth the money.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I started this game as the Chief of Tir Chonaill:

After much dickery with observatories:

and recovery from some terrible gavelkind realm divisions I managed to hit legalism 3, become feudal, and switch to seniority succession. In the process of becoming feudal I had to give the council a lot of power which sucks and lead to my first attempt to curb their power. Unfortunately imprisoning them all and executing them all didn't allow me to change the laws as I wanted to. Trying to make the best of a bad situation I managed to create the duchies within and the kingdom itself of Ireland. I put as many blood relatives in vassal slots as a could and tried to keep it one county per character. However high centralization doesn't prevent vassal wars anymore so who knows how that will play out.

Which leads me to my current problem:

I want to start looking outside namely to Wales to expand and begin growing large enough to deal with England along with the looming Aztec invasion. However the council are basically the US House of Representatives to my Obama. If I want it done they want it to not happen; if I think its good they think its bad. I'm not going to have anyone with a good diplomacy rating for a long time so how do I solve this?

For example this guy plotted to have me killed but, the council won't let me do anything about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is there a "greatest hits" list of the dlc available? I remember someone saying once that a couple of them aren't worth the money.

Mandatory: Legacy of Rome, Old Gods, Way of Life, Conclave

Recommended but not mandatory: Sons of Abraham, Charlemagne

Buy only if you intend to play as: Republic (Republics), Sword of Islam (Muslims), Rajas of India (Hindu), Horse Lords (Easy Mode)

• Locked thread