Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NoWake posted:

This stuff is pretty nice, 3M's Dual Lock. Adhesive behind the strip sticks incredibly solid to glass as well as the dot strip sections of windshields, not sure about molded plastic though. I pop my EZ pass from car to car all the time and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. The barbs are big enough that I doubt they'd clog up too readily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DZJQ0A
Works great on molded plastic, I have used this in several places for my Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NoWake posted:

This stuff is pretty nice, 3M's Dual Lock. Adhesive behind the strip sticks incredibly solid to glass as well as the dot strip sections of windshields, not sure about molded plastic though. I pop my EZ pass from car to car all the time and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. The barbs are big enough that I doubt they'd clog up too readily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DZJQ0A

I'll probably give this a shot just so I can get it mounted. It's not a permanent solution, though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have some 3m double sided tape that has held up for over a year in Texas, outside during work hours. I bet their Velcro equivalent would hold up equally well.

I cleaned the glass and applied it when the glass was pretty warm and applied pressure for about 5 minutes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Genuine 3M tape can be some serious poo poo. They do some adhesives that are second only to spot welds.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

spog posted:

Genuine 3M tape can be some serious poo poo. They do some adhesives that are second only to spot welds.

Second only to spot welds you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLCEjeoseQ

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^I know it's a shear test, but that's still insane.

spog posted:

If this were a permanent installation that's definitely the way I'd have gone at least to start. But this is going to be removed twice a day, five days a week at least.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Godholio posted:

^I know it's a shear test, but that's still insane.

If this were a permanent installation that's definitely the way I'd have gone at least to start. But this is going to be removed twice a day, five days a week at least.

Magnetic tape?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You could epoxy a couple snap buttons to the camera and to your mounting point.

Like these things:

Or a strong magnet

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
1st clip: My favorite neighborhood 5-stop intersection. Pickup truck juuuust out of the camera's sight line to the right arrives at the same time I do. The two cars there before us take their turn, and since he's to my right he gets the right of way. Car on my left either can't see me, isn't looking, or doesn't give a gently caress. Idiots like these are why I've got a camera.

2nd clip: Pedestrian crossing a 4-lane road does everything in his power to try and get hit. Crosses one lane then stops, straddling the dashed line between. Then crosses into the median and stops at the very edge of it. The way he walks and acts reminds me of a replicant's first attempts at mimicking human behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLu4mgu_yXQ

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

no flatbed tow truck, no problem.

was stuck behind them for a couple of miles. Every time the truck hit a bump the whole lot started wobbling... steer tires were an estimated 6" off the ground at a couple of points :stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Long Francesco posted:

You could epoxy a couple snap buttons to the camera and to your mounting point.

Like these things:

That's an interesting idea. My only concern about magnets is that I'd rather my camera not go flying in the event of an accident. I'm not sure how well they would really grip in that situation. I guess the magnetic field doesn't have any impact on the digital recording.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

buttcrackmenace posted:

no flatbed tow truck, no problem.

was stuck behind them for a couple of miles. Every time the truck hit a bump the whole lot started wobbling... steer tires were an estimated 6" off the ground at a couple of points :stare:

I'm guessing he somehow wrapped the tire straps around the back of the car? At first I thought he just hooked the end of the arm into the sunroof or something and was really :catstare:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It looks like the rear glass has been smashed and the straps are hooked somewhere in the interior...

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

(tim'g, click for gigantic)

I snapped several other photos, but tbqh I was trying to keep a safe distance from that shitshow, as was the fellow in front of me in the white pickup.

It did look like the car had been sitting for a while and had been dragged out of the bush. Flat tires on dented wheels, dented roof, busted glass, grass stuck all around.

Perhaps a drunken rollover?

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 14, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was really expecting it to just be moving it out of the road...I didn't think for a moment that's how they were hauling it away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Kids learning to drift?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
USVI driving on the left will never cease to amaze me.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

nm posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Islands#Traffic_control

quote:

Motor vehicles are driven on the left-hand side of the road in both the British and the U.S. Virgin Islands, although the steering wheels on most cars are located on the left side (as is the norm for drive-on-the-right localities). In the Spanish Virgin Islands vehicles are driven on the right-hand side of the road.

I had no idea this was a thing. I was wondering why the third picture posted looked so weird (and dangerous) going around that blind curve.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Kids learning to drift?

between the shity roads and high amounts of traffic? lol doubt it.
(though there are plenty of kids driving slammed cars... there is nothing funnier than watching a slammed Civic imitate a cockroach as they skitter around avoiding potholes)

nm posted:

every time I travel to the States I spend at least 15 minutes driving my rental car around at grandpa speeds because my reflexes are all tuned to expect traffic coming from the wrong :D side. Then it clicks and I'm fine for the rest of the trip.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

Ok, so I bought the Aukey DR-H2 and finally had some time to get the wiring set up. Jeep/Chrysler is stupid and doesn't use a normal fuse box anymore, so I had to get a little creative. Anyway, that's all set up. However, I'm still stuck on how to mount this thing. It's going to attach to the plastic trim at the top of the windshield. Here's the complicating factor: I have to be able to easily remove it. It has to be removed before I can get through the gate at work (also in certain areas when I've got the top removed). Velcro and similar fasteners would probably be fine, but wear out pretty quickly and will collect dust which pops free and will go right into the camera when I rip it free, so those are out. My other idea was just a small sheet of lexan/ABS plastic (I've got some scrap that's big enough) to fit between the camera and the trim. Aukey provided some 3M adhesive tape, but I live in a place that spent 2 weeks below 20*F this winter and is already over 100 for probably the next two months...I'm not confident it'll hold up. I could use JB Weld or something to stick the plastic to the camera, then maybe a dual-lock fastener (similar to velcro) on top, but that will still require replacement every few weeks.

I don't care about drilling holes or whatever, I already drilled one for the wiring (it has a quick-disconnect about an inch from the camera, which is awesome). Trying to find quick disconnect fittings basically just gives me hood pins and some kind of goofy JDM rubber bands for bumpers (?).

http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/locking-move-clips/locking-move-clip-accessories.aspx

I spend a rather inordinate amount of time looking around for generic quick-release systems with flat plates for mounting things, and this is the best I could come up with that has a locking feature. I considered a rotary mount but then it might precess out of the locked position depending on how much vibration you'd get, so I stuck to looking for slide locking mounts.

There's a ton of generic camera-tripod interface mounts that you could buy but they're all expensive as hell because ~photography~. If you find a cheapie one that you don't mind destroying (you'd have to remove the camera body screw stub) you could adhesive-mount the camera to the plate and adhesive- or screw-mount the base plate to wherever.

Good google search terms are "quick release bracket", "quick release plate", "quick release mount", "slide bracket", things like that. I couldn't tell you what you'd want or be willing to work with but that proclip system was the best thing I found that wasn't something camera-related you'd have to modify.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 15, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think that's something I can work with. I'll give the 3m stuff a shot since it's arriving today, but if there's too much vibration, or when I have to replace it in a few weeks, I'll probably piece something together from that site. Thanks!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's what happens if your truck isn't big enough

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Biker wrangles a cop and throws him at a chick who didn't yield properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2JBbol2To

Google tells me South Windsor is in Connecticut, is there really such a place where Utopian ideals like 'right of way' and 'zipper merge' are actually followed and enforced? You're probably more sensitive to it being on a motorcycle, if something that this happened in my car I wouldn't even bother pulling the video to upload, much less try to flag down a cop.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I can only imagine this working for an off duty cop. If I tried that in New Orleans I'd either get no response, "i'm on break", "i didn't see it", or assaulted by the cop.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I hate this loving place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNm8PD7W1g

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha that exasperated sigh, if life were a sitcom you'd be bitching about that guy to George in the diner later on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Both of those are loving awesome.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So looking through this thread, is the Street Guardian the non GoPro better recommendation with the Spy Tec MG380G as the ~$100 recommendation? Looking to get a dash cam, but not the cheapest on the market?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2JBbol2To

Google tells me South Windsor is in Connecticut, is there really such a place where Utopian ideals like 'right of way' and 'zipper merge' are actually followed and enforced? You're probably more sensitive to it being on a motorcycle, if something that this happened in my car I wouldn't even bother pulling the video to upload, much less try to flag down a cop.

I love how she doesn't even move her head in the slightest while he's honking. Either she is blind as a bat, or she is ignoring him for some dumb reason.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love how she doesn't even move her head in the slightest while he's honking. Either she is blind as a bat, or she is ignoring him for some dumb reason.

"If I ignore the problem it's not really there"

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

"He's on a bike, I'm in a car. He's going to lose if I keep coming over."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

So looking through this thread, is the Street Guardian the non GoPro better recommendation with the Spy Tec MG380G as the ~$100 recommendation? Looking to get a dash cam, but not the cheapest on the market?

I'd say that the Mobius is consistently the most recommended one

Howver the DDPai M6+ looks amazing for <$150

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPrYBWCAYc

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Takes No Damage posted:

Ugh, the comments section...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cugel the Clever posted:

Don't. Just don't.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-youtube-comments/kehdmnjmaakacofbgmjgjapbbibhafoh

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

At least he's in a drat near empty road instead of pulling poo poo like that in the middle of the city.

I cleared my desk/workbench off Wednesday and found my Cobra 840 dashcam that locked up and quit working 45 minutes after I took it out of the box... which has apparently been plugged into a USB charger this entire time and was merrily recording the back of my computer monitors in a constant loop since last fall. It works again :confuoot: so maybe I'll have some content for this thread soon, we shall see.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I've been following this thread for a while, and this is my favorite by far. Your comment makes it for me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

We're also having a mild poo poo flinging about it in CA if you wanna look at the monkeys fling poo poo at each other.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's something we can all agree on, putting spindly little plastic sticks as the barrier for HOV lanes was perhaps not the greatest idea in hindsight. From my local subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIX7EDOPoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dayum. I think those barriers would have worked as intended if not for previous dummies breaking them and creating breaks in the barrier.