Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Brunas posted:

You guys and your Juke are crazy. Fel, the inquisitor, etc are always spending that focus defensively anyways, so you're really just getting a bonus damage through sometimes on jumpmasters. I'd rather have the extra lone wolf to get the damage through and maybe survive against turret shots, unless there's some other benefit I'm missing.

This is why you run Juke alongside more ships with Juke. Every Juke shot after the first has a repeatable Crack Shot, and we've already agreed that Crack Shot is amazing.

Oh, and you know what else is amazing? PS4. Oh look, Omega Squadron Pilots are PS4 and can run Juke/Comm Relay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Corbeau posted:

Why am I not surprised that the Wedge player comes up with the Vader deathstar. :v:

I have a gimmick. I stick to it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Eh that's, what, 37 points on Vader? I don't think that's the way to go. Especially given the chance you'll need to spend the lock to modify the shot.

I really prefer prockets on my vader.

If you're bringing Palpatine, odds are modifying the shot won't be a huge deal. Four dice, average is hit/hit/focus/blank. Blank -> hit with guidance chips, if you're even halfway patient you can set up for focus/evade actions and have the TL from previous turn so focus -> hit. Even without Palp, the average is four hits that can't be stopped by an evade token.

The bigger problem is that ATC is primary only. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Corbeau posted:

This is why you run Juke alongside more ships with Juke. Every Juke shot after the first has a repeatable Crack Shot, and we've already agreed that Crack Shot is amazing.

Oh, and you know what else is amazing? PS4. Oh look, Omega Squadron Pilots are PS4 and can run Juke/Comm Relay...

Omegas with Juke and Comm Relay are like 22 points each though. Is it really worth that much?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Strobe posted:

Omegas with Juke and Comm Relay are like 22 points each though. Is it really worth that much?

Yes.

It's part of what makes me so very sad when I put my generic X-Wings on the table. :( The imperials just get so much more for the same price...

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Brunas posted:

You guys and your Juke are crazy. Fel, the inquisitor, etc are always spending that focus defensively anyways, so you're really just getting a bonus damage through sometimes on jumpmasters. I'd rather have the extra lone wolf to get the damage through and maybe survive against turret shots, unless there's some other benefit I'm missing.

To satisfy my own curiosity, here's Vader with focus target lock ATC at range 2 against unmodded:

2 agility:
0 0.07586669921875
1 0.280517578125
2 0.42388916015625
3 0.2197265625
Expected Damage 1.7874755859375

2 agility, juke:
0 0.0072021484375
1 0.07781982421875
2 0.43157958984375
3 0.4833984375
Expected Damage 2.39117431640625

2 agility, lone wolf:
0 0.029296875
1 0.190673828125
2 0.450439453125
3 0.32958984375
Expected Damage 2.080322265625

About an extra .31 damage against Jumpmasters. Also, lone wolf means you're spending an offensive focus about 5% more often.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Corbeau posted:

Yes.

It's part of what makes me so very sad when I put my generic X-Wings on the table. :(

Rookies with R2 and Integrated are serviceable. I'd run them more if I wasn't allergic to low PS.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Strobe posted:

Rookies with R2 and Integrated are serviceable. I'd run them more if I wasn't allergic to low PS.

And now imagine them at PS4 with better dials and better potential lifespan (due to saving an Evade action any time there's a quiet round or lucky green dice). That's more or less JukeFOs when they're grouped and able to take advantage of multiple Juke shots on the same target. 3 red ain't so impressive compared to 2 red + repeatable crack shot.

e: That new astromech had goddamned better give X-Wings free Evade tokens somehow, because they need it to get back to the power curve.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 13, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Maybe I am a bad player (OK, I'm definitely not a great one), but I don't understand why Palp Ace players will hide their shuttle away from the action. That thing's got a 3 dice primary, take some range 3 potshots with it!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Brunas posted:

2 dice attacks aren't any good, even with guaranteed hits

quote:

jumpmasters even with primary eat them alive

:psyduck:

How is two guaranteed hits bad, but 2 dice amazing? I'm honestly baffled.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

canyoneer posted:

Maybe I am a bad player (OK, I'm definitely not a great one), but I don't understand why Palp Ace players will hide their shuttle away from the action. That thing's got a 3 dice primary, take some range 3 potshots with it!

Because it handles like a shopping cart.

This is why I have started running it with waffles.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

canyoneer posted:

I felt the same way until I got serious with the standard 35 Fel, 31 Inquisitor, sensor jammer shuttle. Basically, Fel and the Inquisitor are immune to damage. Unless you horrifically gently caress up, and as long as the shuttle is there and you didn't park at range 2 of a crack swarm (this counts as horrifically loving up), you aren't taking damage on your aces. The only way for you to lose the game is either your opponent kills the shuttle, then an ace once they're vulnerable, or you get blocked and die, or something like a bumpmaster.

Basically, sending in the shuttle (early in the game at least) is almost always a liability, as your only weakness in the list is the shuttle dying early.

Corbeau posted:

And now imagine them at PS4 with better dials and better potential lifespan (due to saving an Evade action any time there's a quiet round or lucky green dice). That's more or less JukeFOs when they're grouped and able to take advantage of multiple Juke shots on the same target. 3 red ain't so impressive compared to 2 red + repeatable crack shot.

e: That new astromech had goddamned better give X-Wings free Evade tokens somehow, because they need it to get back to the power curve.

Will free evades on the XWing be enough? I'm hesitant about x7 Defenders seeing play, as they still die to twoish torpedoes, and XWing isn't going to do any better. Maybe if you can fit 4 with free evades and a Z still?

Some Numbers posted:

:psyduck:

How is two guaranteed hits bad, but 2 dice amazing? I'm honestly baffled.

I phrased this poorly. Two dice as your primary is bad, you aren't hitting anything that is actively trying to avoid damage. Against a TIE Advanced, two red dice are threatening, because you lack autothrusters. Every hit is 20% of your health, so a TLT is nearly guaranteed 40% of your health every turn, and a jumpmaster primary at two dice is still about 20% of your health. At range 1 it's worse of course, but your accuracy corrected Advanceds are still rolling two hits, which comes out to about 10% of a jumpmasters health after agility. Their shot is worth 4 points on you, and can be out of arc, while your shot is worth about 2-3 points, and has to be in arc.

Brunas fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 13, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Plasma torpedoes should have been 3 dice. :smith:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's still not coming across very clearly. Is your statement that ace players always get into range 3 for combat, thus AT always applies?

I do understand that TLTs are a huge threat to Vader though.

e: Oh okay it's about relative health pools. That would have been clearer if you'd said it was about relative HP or damage racing; talking about "two red dice" in opposite ways confused me.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^: No, he's saying Autothrusters make JumpMasters far less scary since they'll almost always be on against a PWT.

Brunas posted:

I phrased this poorly. Two dice as your primary is bad, you aren't hitting anything that is actively trying to avoid damage. Against a TIE Advanced, two red dice are threatening, because you lack autothrusters. Every hit is 20% of your health, so a TLT is nearly guaranteed 40% of your health every turn, and a jumpmaster primary at two dice is still about 20% of your health. At range 1 it's worse of course, but your accuracy corrected Advanceds are still rolling two hits, which comes out to about 10% of a jumpmasters health after agility. Their shot is worth 4 points on you, and can be out of arc, while your shot is worth about 2-3 points, and has to be in arc.

I think you're underselling the TIE Adv a bit, since Accuracy Corrector allows you to use all your actions defensively and is optional if you manage to roll better than two hits.

But I guess the hard math does favor the toilet seats more.

Still, Accuracy Corrector is a good way of getting around the fact that two red dice are pretty garbage.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Corbeau posted:

It's still not coming across very clearly. Is your statement that ace players always get into range 3 for combat, thus AT always applies?

I do understand that TLTs are a huge threat to Vader though.

e: Oh okay it's about relative health pools. That would have been clearer if you'd said it was about relative HP or damage racing; talking about "two red dice" in opposite ways confused me.

Sorry if it was unclear. In the current meta you're shooting at one of three things:

Ace
Jumpmaster
Crack A or TIE Fighter

If you're shooting at an Ace, you aren't going to do damage with two hits. You'd be better off trying to block for the rest of the list.
Against a Jumpmaster, you're comically outgunned in arc, and in the best case you're even and out of arc.
Against a crack swarm you're dead, because they PS killed you.

The reason we're interested in relative health and damage output is because we know the ship is bad against aces and swarms, so maybe it's good against jumpmasters, but the math said no. Make sense?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm doing some reading, because I'm curious, and the math I'm reading so far suggests that a TIE Advanced with Accuracy Correcter is going to have a real good chances against a PWT-only JM5K in a duel. That's one-on-one, mind, which is the easiest math case, but the JM5K only has about twice the HP and will get hit about four times as much unless it can get out of the Advanced's arc. So it has to arc-dodge the Advanced roughly half the time in order to win the duel.

It does get worse for the Advanceds the larger scale the fight goes though, which is the problem with having multiple turreted ships in a single game... combining fire is quite possibly too easy. And then there's the alpha...

But hey, if you can reduce the fight that far, the Advanced is in pretty good shape!

Though I'm not really the generic Advanced advocate. I prefer the FO, as mentioned above, because it's more capable of killing... well, nearly anything, but especially aces.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I'm doing some reading, because I'm curious, and the math I'm reading so far suggests that a TIE Advanced with Accuracy Correcter is going to have a real good chances against a PWT-only JM5K in a duel. That's one-on-one, mind, which is the easiest math case, but the JM5K only has about twice the HP and will get hit about four times as much unless it can get out of the Advanced's arc. So it has to arc-dodge the Advanced roughly half the time in order to win the duel.

It does get worse for the Advanceds the larger scale the fight goes though, which is the problem with having multiple turreted ships in a single game... combining fire is quite possibly too easy. And then there's the alpha...

But hey, if you can reduce the fight that far, the Advanced is in pretty good shape!

Though I'm not really the generic Advanced advocate. I prefer the FO, as mentioned above, because it's more capable of killing... well, nearly anything, but especially aces.

Sadly in your example the PWT should win easily, with native PS3, barrel roll, and white sloop being out of arc >50% of the time (more than that if you're barrel rolling and losing other actions, I'm assuming) should be pretty easily. Sad considering the point different is 4, but oh well.

Too bad the PS4 Advanced doesn't have an EPT, or a crack/juke swarm with them might be feasible.

Anyways, to get off the subject of my TIE Advanced whining, what do you guys think mid-high agility non-boost ships need to be workable in the competitive meta? Is there a good solution that isn't autothrusters for them? There could always be a small ship mod that reduces damage taken by ordinance or something, so they'd be tanky against Uboats but still weak to turrets and not on ships that can take autothrusters.

Basically, your XWings, TIE Advanceds, EWings, TIE/sf, Kihraxz, etc.

Brunas fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 13, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If the PS4 Advanced had an EPT then I'd be all over that poo poo. Juke with Accuracy Corrector is really nasty, but right now Vader's the only place that it's reasonable.

On a similar note, the X-Wing really ought to have an EPT on it's PS4. It probably would, for that matter, if it had been designed today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just give the TIE Adv A-Wing Test Pilot. It'll be fine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Better yet, rip the EPT off Contracted Scout and give it to Storm Squadron Pilot.

That's totally fair, right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd be okay with it. I still think putting an EPT on the Contracted Scout was a mystifying decision. Aren't all other EPT-pilots PS4 or up?

I guess they could go ahead and give EPTs to Dagger Squadron Pilots then. It's not like they'd be more problematic than JM5K!

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I'd be okay with it. I still think putting an EPT on the Contracted Scout was a mystifying decision. Aren't all other EPT-pilots PS4 or up?

I guess they could go ahead and give EPTs to Dagger Squadron Pilots then. It's not like they'd be more problematic than JM5K!

Greens are PS3 with them (well, two) but I think that's it. The funny thing is, even without EPTs U-boat would still be pretty good, you'd just have to not torpedo round 1. R4 will make sure you've always got target lock + focus for every shot after the first.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

Langolas versus Aramoro

Sorry about this, we're having some real scheduling issues on this match. I hope we can get this in sometime this week.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Couldn't sleep, so I painted a bit. Still haven't decided what to paint the hatch. The white horizontal highlight on the glass support looks too strong so I'll dial it back. I don't know how the funny brown splotch to the right of the cockpit got there lol. Unfortunately, the clamps to the sides of the glass looks too indistinct if it's all brown so I'll prob have to make them NMM gold as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Juke is still good against imperial aces even if they have no problem having focus because it either forces them not to have an offensive focus or pushes through damage. It also adds some pressure to Fel. I don't think Juke needs to be spammed to be effective.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Major Isoor (Whisper/Deci) vs. overdesigned (Stele-D/Vader/Juno) results for week six: I won 100-33.

I had the hottest of hot green dice, and the Major just baaarely parked Whisper on a debris field in-arc of all three of my guys to get evaporated on the second turn of combat. First combat I had no shots and his Decimator got the stealth device off of Stele but once Whisper was gone it was a beatdown on his poor Patrol Leader, even if he did manage to hit my Vader hard enough that his crew-Vader was able to direct-hit my pilot-Vader to death. There can be only one Vader.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Brunas posted:

Hey man, any particular time good for you? I'm free Wednesday evening EST, but after that won't be back till next Monday. Look at me, being all difficult to schedule around. Speaking of being busy this weekend, anyone else going to Origins?

I could probably do Wednesday evening, depending on what you consider evening. I'm usually available around 6:30-7:00ish, and would prefer not to start any later than 9:00 but I can if I have to.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

NEXT WEEK FOR THE X-WING LEAGUE (WEEK 6):

POOL ONE:
Overdesigned versus MajorIsoor
The Gate versus Deviant
Langolas versus ConfusedUs

POOL TWO:
Herux versus Spiggy
Brunas versus siggy2021
ro5s versus General Battuta

POOL THREE:
Strobe versus Admiral Joeslop
Finster Dexter versus canyonero
Aramoro versus ZenMastaT

CROSS-POOL GAME:
Not happening this week because De Rol Le is a dick and disappeared. Sorry Talas! Have a week off.

WILD KARRDE GAME:
Gerdalti versus Chemmy

I am still waiting on results from (If you've already finished them and I just missed it, no worries): Overdesigned versus Deviant, Langolas versus Aramoro, siggy2021 versus Herux, and Gerdalti versus ro5s.

I have enough results to post standings through the end of Week 4 (awarding 150 point byes to whoever was playing De Rol Le)

1. Strobe, 4-0, 702 MOV
2. Overdesigned, 4-0, 631 MOV

3. Talas, 3-1, 617 MOV
4. The Gate, 3-1, 559 MOV
5. Brunas, 3-1, 534 MOV
6. Deviant, 3-1, 507 MOV
7. Spiggy, 3-1, 499 MOV
8. ZenMastaT, 3-1, 453 MOV

9. canyonero, 2-2, 480 MOV
10. ro5s, 2-2, 453 MOV
11. Chemmy, 2-2 400 MOV
12. Gerdalti, 2-2, 385 MOV
13. ConfusedUs, 2-2, 340 MOV
14. Herux, 2-2, 255 MOV

15. General Battuta, 1-3, 427 MOV
16. Major Isoor, 1-3, 345 MOV
17. Admiral Joeslop, 1-3, 282 MOV
18. Langolas, 1-3, 238 MOV
19. Finster Dexter, 1-2, 212 MOV
20. Aramoro, 1-3, 196 MOV

21. siggy2021, 0-4, 73 MOV

Dropped

22. De Rol Le, 0-2, 114 MOV

Herux won our game. I believe it was 100-21, but he would have to confirm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chill la Chill posted:

Couldn't sleep, so I painted a bit. Still haven't decided what to paint the hatch. The white horizontal highlight on the glass support looks too strong so I'll dial it back. I don't know how the funny brown splotch to the right of the cockpit got there lol. Unfortunately, the clamps to the sides of the glass looks too indistinct if it's all brown so I'll prob have to make them NMM gold as well.

:eyepop: That's insanely good, has a more Red Baron feel now that you filled it out.

Also teach me you secrets at painting because I look at my stuff and yeah that's a huge difference in quality.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eimi posted:

:eyepop: That's insanely good, has a more Red Baron feel now that you filled it out.

Also teach me you secrets at painting because I look at my stuff and yeah that's a huge difference in quality.

Oh neat, hadn't considered that. I guess it could've gone either way with how rich I wanted the model to look when the middle wasn't painted yet.

I can't really offer any advice aside from practice and always pushing yourself In little ways. A have a bunch of badly looking X-wings when I started painting again after about a 10 year hiatus. I can post them later for comparison. The falcon I posted way back and used for a couple years was all blending practice. I just looked through your post history and I guess I missed the last batch of pics but they're coming along nicely. I will suggest that for any new minis with such a stark contrast as you have, you should work up from grey to white. It's a pain in the rear end and I have to do the same with yellows on black backgrounds. Slow down and use fewer paint on the brush - you can always add more later. I tend to paint as meditation/preparation for big tournaments. I also like listening to audiobooks. I'm halfway through the OG foundation series now.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I don't think you're giving Juke-Vader enough credit. I ran him in my last FLGS store championship and went undefeated in four rounds. I used Juke and Stealth Device, spent most of my actions going Juke+Focus. (I had a Standard Fel and a Palpmobile in support). It absolutely murdered everything except quad TLTs, which I still denied him kills on my aces and had to give up the Shuttle. You fly that list right, and it doesn't disappoint.

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Darth Vader (29)
Juke (2)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 99

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have they spoiled all the T-70 pilots from Heroes of the Resistance?

What.. what if Wedge is one of them?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wedge was going to be in TFA but Denis Lawson declined. I don't think Wedge is hopping into a T-70 any time soon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Oh man, I forget that ARC-170 stands for Aggressive ReConnaissance-170, jesus.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There's actually a ton of stuff left over from Heroes of the Resistance that hasn't been talked about yet, including a new astromech and crew cards for Finn and Rey. Between that and the ARC-170 it's definitely an exciting time for Rebels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nobody's brainstormed any fun new nicknames for heroes/wave 9 stuff yet. Get on it you nerds.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm 90% sure we've seen the pilots from Heroes, including Jess Pava (PS3), Snap Wexley, and Poe. There might be another one in there, but since it'd be a hideous disservice to not have T-70 Wedge be PS9 and there's already one of those I really, really, really doubt it's him.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

General Battuta posted:

ro5s when're you up?

Hey, I'm in the UK and can do most evenings my time, I can stay up late to get a game in or do an afternoon if that works too.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I hope Wedge gets the Will Smith ID4 treatment in the upcoming movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Eagerly waiting for things to tick over to Now Shipping

Thinking of all of the stuff that's projected to come out "third quarter" this year and dreading the wait for these to show up in like December

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 13, 2016

• Locked thread