Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FrozenVent posted:

Didn't Howard Hughes get into that business like forty years ago? Whatever happened with that?

That was just a cover story for a CIA-sponsored attempt to retrieve a sunken Soviet nuclear submarine from the seafloor, an attempt which was impressive as gently caress from an engineering standpoint but only partially successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

To go one level deeper the very public failure of Azorian may have been a cover for a successful ROV mission and also a cover for Nixon paying off Hughes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Apparently they got a couple nuclear torpedoes and a codebook out of it so I'm not sure how thats anything other than a complete success considering the circumstances.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently they got a couple nuclear torpedoes and a codebook out of it so I'm not sure how thats anything other than a complete success considering the circumstances.

Because they could have had the whole thing but they hosed it up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Allegedly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

Because they could have had the whole thing but they hosed it up.

There's conflicting reports on whether they even hosed it up or not. Apparently the ships' bell was returned to the Russians, which is decidedly not located in the section that is widely believed to have been the only part recovered.

Anyone ever read Red Star Rogue? It goes into the reason for the Soviets losing the submarine in the first place, and posits (a mostly-unprovable, whack job) theory that the crew was attempting an unauthorized launch on Pearl Harbor when they accidentally detonated a weapon while it was still in the tube due to anti-tamper systems on the weapon, leading to the loss of the submarine. It presents a TON of circumstantial evidence, but it's a pretty good read, despite its inability to prove its own point. Also touches on the loss of USS Scorpion, a few months later.

It should be number three on your Cold War submarine reading list, after The Silent War, and Blind Man's Bluff.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Isn't there some theory that K-129 was rammed by an American sub, and in response the Soviets sent an Echo II to sink Scorpion?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

All lost Russian subs are rammed by an American sub until proven otherwise, and sometimes even then.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sperglord Actual posted:

All lost Russian subs are rammed by an American sub until proven otherwise, and sometimes even then.

"proven"

As you can see comrade, this overhead satellite view clearly shows the evil imperialist aggressors causing the incident. Next on Russia Today, NATO: evil alliance, or most evil alliance?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

iyaayas01 posted:

"proven"

As you can see comrade, this overhead satellite view clearly shows the evil imperialist aggressors causing the incident. Next on Russia Today, NATO: evil alliance, or most evil alliance?

"By Pladimir Vutin."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"By Pladimir Vutin."

This post and av combo makes me want to see a Scottish supervillain named Plaid the Impaler on Venture Bros. Or Plaid Dracul. (Jefferson Twilight: "I can't kill him! He's not a blackula! He's got stripes like a goddamn zebra, I can't tell if he's coming or going!")

Meanwhile, on topic: I hope James Cameron goes crazy and starts doing crazy poo poo like the Glomar Explorer, since he's into oceanic research. Elon is more likely to have the technical chops to pull it off, but going down the Howard Hughes route unless he actually makes it to Mars, in which case I give it even odds that the whole thing goes down like Apocalypse Now.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

Isn't there some theory that K-129 was rammed by an American sub, and in response the Soviets sent an Echo II to sink Scorpion?

Intentionally ramming another sub seems kinda dangerous, like what if our sub also gets damaged and we also die, or do you get like a bull bar fitted to the sub when you're going out on one of these missions? :psyduck:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

iyaayas01 posted:

"proven"

Those perfidious imperialists and their very interestingly scaled submarines!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

"proven"

Breaking new! The homo-nazis have taken over the US by voting into office the first female president, Putin says an intervention may be required to protect all Russian speaking people being oppressed by the US government and the imperialist NATO forces.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

Intentionally ramming another sub seems kinda dangerous, like what if our sub also gets damaged and we also die, or do you get like a bull bar fitted to the sub when you're going out on one of these missions? :psyduck:

The theory was accidental collision last I heard. It's not impossible there was an American sub in the area but the gigantic explosion kind of, well, who knows what does Conspiracy Theory people think.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

They key is ramming with little enough damage to your own sub so you don't have to surface and get caught!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Rotacixe posted:

They key is ramming with little enough damage to your own sub so you don't have to surface and get caught!

It's basically like an underseas pit maneuver.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

American submarines are actually triremes, they're designed for that sort of poo poo.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

"proven"

The capitalist running dog submarine cleverly disguised itself as a Korean airliner in an attempt to deceive the vanguards of the revolution and escape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is how submarines run into each other (maybe).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

It certainly is baffling when it happens, amirite :sun:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kesper North posted:

It certainly is baffling when it happens, amirite :sun:

Did you feel extreme pressure to make a submarine pun?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blistex posted:

Knowing Kesper, I doubt the pressure was overly crushing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What can I say. I love going punderwater.

Wherever there's puns to be made, I'll be there with bells on.

Diving bells.

...Was that enough puns, or should I turn the screws harder?

I mean, I'd make more in this post... but you guys would torpedo that idea.

:sun: :downsrim: :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Also:

Blistex posted:

Fearless posted:

Knowing Kesper, I doubt the pressure was overly crushing.

:perfect:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We're getting flooded by dad puns. How could this thread sink so low?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Smiling Jack posted:

Rifters is by the same guy who wrote Blindsight? Added to reading list.

All his back catalog is available under CC license (feel free to print your own paperback, just don't sell or edit it without permission) on his website, if you're poor/some kinda Commie prevert who doesn't believe in paying royalties/can't find it in stores.

It's been long enough I'm considering reading the trilogy a third time. It's pretty good for crap scifi. I love the idea of augmented-reality contact lenses (we've dipped our toe in those waters with Google Glass, it's only a matter of time until the tech is sufficiently miniaturized to make Molly Millions' mirrorshades unnecessarily invasive), but the line that really stuck with me was the description of coming back up to sea level from the depths: "It's a little like being unkicked in the stomach."

Props to Watts (and similarly Baen, when he was alive) for realizing that sci-fi has a limited sales life, and once you've made what money you're going to off a novel you might as well give it away in order to get people interested so they'll buy your new book. (My hardcover first edition of the last of John Ringo's less-rapey trilogy came with a CD of everything Baen had published until then, and it was available online until Jim Baen died; nowadays the online free library still exists but is somewhat reduced.

"Conn, Sonar, Crazy Ivan!"

Apparently it's A Thing, but not quite as much as you'd expect from the movies -- :lol: the exterior shots in Hunt For Red October, with the boats are close enough for boarding, and the torpedoes are going at WWII speeds -- the Mk 48 has a range of 24 miles at 55 knots (31 miles at slower speed), and a flight time of 20-45 seconds at the fast/slow max ranges.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 13, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cat Mattress posted:

We're getting flooded by dad puns. How could this thread sink so low?

But do you have the balls to drop the ballast? You're being in-pun-dated! Your fate has already been seamented...

I'm sorry, I'll stop. It's hard once I get going.

Edit for content: I find that Rifters holds up well to rereading, though I do also find it more and more depressingly realistic as time goes on.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
He's got a couple of quite good military sci-fi shorts...The Colonel, Collateral, and Malak all have some interesting things to say about our current world

The Colonel also has a tie-in with the Blindsight/Echopraxia universe

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Quick, initiate an emergency blow before this thread sinks any deeper.

Torpedo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did someone say “emergency blow”?

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Delivery McGee posted:

The Mk 48 has a range of 24 miles at 55 knots (31 miles at slower speed), and a flight time of 20-45 seconds at the fast/slow max ranges.

There's no way that's correct, that's over a mile a second.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BrownieMinusEye posted:

There's no way that's correct, that's over a mile a second.
Flight times are in minutes.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I got to take my kids to the grand opening of the new building 4 at the National AF museum this past weekend. I have always loved going there and they enjoyed it as well.

I never saw the YF-23 in person. But I would say it is a fine looking aircraft. I almost like its looks better than the F-22 that was also there.

But really this is what made my day.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
A year back I went to see the other YF-23 at the Western Museum of Flight. Thing was sitting in a corner of the airfield at the time on some gravel and I got to get under it and take a close look. Was striped down but still pretty great. YF-17 was right there too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There's no 'almost' about the YF-23 looking better than the Raptor. And it's not like the Raptor is ugly, I'm just saying. :colbert:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I think the YF-23 was better looking than the YF-22. But operational F-22's have that finished and ready to go look that puts them above the unfinished prototype look of the YF-23 for me.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Psion posted:

And it's not like the Raptor is ugly, I'm just saying. :colbert:

It's ok when flying but it looks like a fat toad when on the ground.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So anyone read this 2017 War With Russia

Which is apparently a General John Hacket does WW3 for the 21st century and has mixed reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kesper North posted:

But do you have the balls to drop the ballast? You're being in-pun-dated! Your fate has already been seamented...

I'm sorry, I'll stop. It's hard once I get going.

Edit for content: I find that Rifters holds up well to rereading, though I do also find it more and more depressingly realistic as time goes on.

I think you're going a bit overboard with the puns, and they don't really have much depth. I guess I'm trying to say your gimmick is dead in the water.

kill me now posted:

I think the YF-23 was better looking than the YF-22. But operational F-22's have that finished and ready to go look that puts them above the unfinished prototype look of the YF-23 for me.

Apparently the "vectored thrust" (more manoeuvrable) was the factor that really put it ahead, although like most Lockmart contracts, it was assumed that the decision was made before the competition started. The 23 allegedly had better stealth characteristics and when both of them still had the "YF" designation the 23 had a slightly faster Max Speed/supercruise than the 22 and a significantly greater range as well.