Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Blazkowicz quotes the poem at the end of New Order, so there's precedent. Good to see he survived the nuclear missile at the end. Looking forward to seeing a new resistance fighting the remnants of the Nazi empire.

Or perhaps we'll be playing as someone else - that Polish bird? I wouldn't be against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I would have liked the new Quake to have singleplayer, but instead, going by that vague cinematic trailer thing, it seems like it's going to be Quake 3 Arena 2, and I'm pretty okay with that.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Prey is such a weird property. It's been kicking around for like 20 years now and this will only be the second game to make it to release. What even makes Prey? Aliens and portals?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Prav posted:

dig up the concepts they didn't use and let me play as the might wizard Quake or whatever it was

Well that'd be a 2d sidescroller as well...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

Prey is such a weird property. It's been kicking around for like 20 years now and this will only be the second game to make it to release. What even makes Prey? Aliens and portals?

I can't find it but there's a gaming magazine cover that lists Prey as a "Quake 2 killer," along Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever.

Rather Dashing posted:

Or perhaps we'll be playing as someone else - that Polish bird? I wouldn't be against that.

That would be really cool! Maybe Caroline Becker in the crazy Jewish Magic Science Power Armor? Honestly, more Da'at Yichud in general would be great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

foozwak posted:

Please no loving Strogg, hope this reboot goes back to the original Q1 type of setting. Along with a soundscape like the original, I never heard Q1's "music" until I got the GOG version with .ogg's (before they had to cut that out, again)

They couldn't include OGG files, but they can include an image of the CD. Though apparently they messed up the cue file?
https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/quake_the_offering_incorrect_cue_sheets/post15
https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/my_oneclick_audioextractor/page1

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Internet Friend posted:

I'd like more FPP games based around toying with gravity and portals, some "impossible" rooms and mindfucky mazes. Prey was really good (also it showed how much you can squeeze out of Doom3 engine) and it's bullshit how you can't buy it on Steam anymore. There are still new physical copies here where I live, and serial keys work on Steam, though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein's (good kind of) melodrama will be really hard to take seriously if they go with Blazkowicz being alive and the player character again considering how far both The Old Blood and New Order go with making him a tired and broken down human being.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/742211783134306304

Chris Avellone's working on the new Prey. Interesting...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah it's not like there are plenty of other popular MMOs or FPS games.

There were popular MMOs before WoW, now mostly forgotten if not totally shutdown.
There were popular online card games before Hearthstone, now forgotten.
There were popular strategy games before Starcraft, now forgotten.

Not all of Blizzard's games ascend to the peak of their genre, but they're all at the top. Heroes of the Storm exists with League of Legends and Dota 2, but it killed off all the tiny small mobas no one remembers now.

Sadly multiplayer Quake is a tiny product with a tiny audience now. Quake Live proved that. Quake Champions is going to be DOA. I don't know maybe we're already at the bad clones hoping to overthrow the giant stage.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

They should go Skylanders route. I mean, there are already figurines announced, may as well make the next logical step.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finally got Quake from GOG to download. Got the expansions mostly set up, I do have one problem and that's transparent water. Quakespasm, it's been a long time since I set up original Quake to have it, back when I was using Dark Places. What do I need to do to get transparent water in the mission packs?

Edit: Never mind, a bit more poking and I found the solution.

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 13, 2016

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Arivia posted:

Overwatch

You were told.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

laserghost posted:

They should go Skylanders route. I mean, there are already figurines announced, may as well make the next logical step.

That market is really slowing down now. Disney Infinity is done, and the Animal Crossing amiibo series bombed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I got the basic geometry laid out. This level uses almost 30 different 3D platforms at various heights to create the "grass hanging off the side of the edge" effect! I was unable to do the loop but that's no big deal. I'm sure with unbelievable arcane manipulation of slopes someone would be able to pull it off, but you wouldn't be able to go around the loop anyway so what's the point.

Making dumbass crazy secret levels is probably the most fun I've had so far.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I got the basic geometry laid out. This level uses almost 30 different 3D platforms at various heights to create the "grass hanging off the side of the edge" effect! I was unable to do the loop but that's no big deal. I'm sure with unbelievable arcane manipulation of slopes someone would be able to pull it off, but you wouldn't be able to go around the loop anyway so what's the point.

Making dumbass crazy secret levels is probably the most fun I've had so far.

This is great! One thing better would be to find an appropriate midi to go with it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wamdoodle posted:

This is great! One thing better would be to find an appropriate midi to go with it.

Why use Midi when ZDoom and friends can use the straight up sound files from the cart itself.

Though I do love me some terrible midi so yeah, find the midi version.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

quake was one of the few things i wanted to see more singleplayer of

oh well, time to not give a poo poo because there's probably a 50% chance it's going to be mediocre as gently caress

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So, with id owned by Bethesda now, does this mean Quake Champions is gonna see 'guest' combatants from other properties? The potential sales boost from a cross-promotion with Fallout or even Elder Scrolls being represented in the game would be pretty hard to ignore.

Also please please please let these 'unique abilities' be something toggle-able or limited to its own game mode; sometimes I just want the simplicity of railgunning a neon-green skeleton while running at 40 mph without having to worry about his piercing damage resistance or final big boner ultimate attack.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ChickenHeart posted:

So, with id owned by Bethesda now, does this mean Quake Champions is gonna see 'guest' combatants from other properties? The potential sales boost from a cross-promotion with Fallout or even Elder Scrolls being represented in the game would be pretty hard to ignore.

A Vault Dweller in Quake could be rather entertaining with the right loadout of mininukes etc.

I still just want a proper singleplayer Quake 1 remake, though :(

quote:

Also please please please let these 'unique abilities' be something toggle-able or limited to its own game mode; sometimes I just want the simplicity of railgunning a neon-green skeleton while running at 40 mph without having to worry about his piercing damage resistance or final big boner ultimate attack.

Also the neon green skeleton must explode into bloody gibs upon death, because Quake.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

I could see a generic Dovahkiin or perhaps Ulfrick Stormcloak as a guest fighter due to the Skyrim remake.

WAIT NO. Jarl Balgruuf or whoever ran Whiterun. That dude was chill as all hell and neutral.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Bethesda seem to be kind of resistant to crossovers outside of Easter Eggs and merchandise. I wouldn't bet on it... but then, I didn't think they'd announce a new Quake game so soon after Doom's traumatic birth, so what the gently caress do I know nowadays?

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Quake will be awesome because Bethesda is poo poo at marketing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

blackmarketlimb posted:

Quake will be awesome because Bethesda is poo poo at marketing.

This probably. Watch, if this is an MP-only thing, they'll only show stuff like the Machine/Nail Gun and the shotgun with maybe a rocket launcher for teasing... and then the main game will have options for rockets only and every weapon is a pickup with unique ammo and I just want Bethesda to just not be into video games anymore guise

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I don't think you get how much a Blizzard product warps the entire genre around it. Team-based shooters on PC are now Overwatch and other games, basically. The other competitors are like Call of Duty and Battlefield, just because they were so big beforehand. Bethesda is spitting into the mouth of the sleeping dragon, and it won't end well for them.

I missed all of these posts, but you're an idiot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

widespread posted:

I could see a generic Dovahkiin or perhaps Ulfrick Stormcloak as a guest fighter due to the Skyrim remake.

WAIT NO. Jarl Balgruuf or whoever ran Whiterun. That dude was chill as all hell and neutral.

Easy Pete and his only weapons are sticks of dynamite.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's going to be great when nuQuake has paid DLC map packs and no private servers. :thumbsup:

Also, speaking of E3 announcements - it's amazing that the Prey reboot actually survived three years of pre-production/early production and came out actually looking like the System Shock spiritual sequel that leaked in 2013.

2017 is going to be a good year for System Shock fans.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
The new Quake is being made by Saber Interactive, the folks responsible for such classics as Will Rock, TimeShift, God Mode (and it's movie tie-in reskin R.I.P.D The Game) and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

The thought that that company is even still around at all after making nothing but garbage since 2003 blows my mind. Them partnering with id to make the new Quake must be a part of some elaborate tax fraud.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I deny to believe this. It can't end this way. It's literally a B-game studio.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

laserghost posted:

I deny to believe this. It can't end this way. It's literally a B-game studio.

That's being very generous.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Welp, there goes my hope at playing a single player Quake remake. At least DO4M is good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

The new Quake is being made by Saber Interactive, the folks responsible for such classics as Will Rock, TimeShift, God Mode (and it's movie tie-in reskin R.I.P.D The Game) and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

The thought that that company is even still around at all after making nothing but garbage since 2003 blows my mind. Them partnering with id to make the new Quake must be a part of some elaborate tax fraud.

Hey they did Timeshift at least :(

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Yes, they did make a mediocre F.E.A.R. clone that somehow was graphically worse than F.E.A.R. despite coming out 2 years later.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wasn't TimeShift the game that was basically finished and sent for magazine previews, only for it to be delayed and heavily reworked into something more marketable?

Yeah, I've actually found some early demos and what seems to be beta version of the game. Gotta dig a little to see what the original game was about.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that bethesda is cutting out the middle period and immediately announcing new titles as shovelware

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Toot toot here comes the help me troubleshoot this problem train again. This time it's not as simple as "the editor says there's something that needs fixing, do the thing that needs fixing." I'm trying to create a decoration for the green hill zone map, and in the Doom Builder preview they look just fine:

But when I go ingame, they weirdly sink the sprite's height's worth of units down from wherever I placed it. However, it's just the sprites themselves that do it. Their bounding boxes stay in place and can be bumped up against as if the object was there.

Here's my DECORATE code:

code:
ACTOR GHPalm 5000
{
  Radius 71
  Height 183
  ProjectilePassHeight 0
  //$Title "Palm"
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    GHPL A -1
    Stop
  }
}
Things I've tried:
- Setting +NOGRAVITY made no difference in the sprites' alignment, but the hitbox did float.
- Changing my OpenGL sprite settings ingame. None of the settings changed the trees. For proof of this, here's a corpse decoration in front of where some trees should be.
- Changing the height of the actor to something other than the sprite's height did not change anything except for the height of the hitbox.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that bethesda is cutting out the middle period and immediately announcing new titles as shovelware

It really is a shame, but I'm hoping it'll be like Doom and turn out to actually be good despite crappy previews.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is that a Green Hill Zone map? :allears:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A new Serious Sam game was announced...and it's a gimmick VR game. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

Wasn't TimeShift the game that was basically finished and sent for magazine previews, only for it to be delayed and heavily reworked into something more marketable?

Yeah, I've actually found some early demos and what seems to be beta version of the game. Gotta dig a little to see what the original game was about.

Yeah. I remember Michael Ironside was the big bad. All that was thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is that a Green Hill Zone map? :allears:

Hell yeah it is :haw:

Now if only I could put down some trees! :v: