Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Was he a dick to ensign Ro, or was that another young ensign that he was just a huge dick to and maybe she had a crush on him?? Or is this a fever dream I'm having where a girl like Geordi.

uhh there was the chick who spilled cocoa on picard, but she wasn't crushing on geordi, she was just super excited to be on the enterprise

:siren: Official Page 55 Orgy sans Geordi :siren:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

uhh there was the chick who spilled cocoa on picard, but she wasn't crushing on geordi, she was just super excited to be on the enterprise

Ok whew thanks for clearing that up. Thats exactly the one I was thinking of.

He was a huge dick though right? A true military officer would have taken advantage of that wide eyed optimism, but not nice guy Geordi :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ok whew thanks for clearing that up. Thats exactly the one I was thinking of.

He was a huge dick though right? A true military officer would have taken advantage of that wide eyed optimism, but not nice guy Geordi :unsmith:

nah, he took her to ten forward and got friendzoned

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am dying for the thick headband and bob to comeback more than I am for another series of star trek.

Ro so dreamy.

Imagine being a young Glinn chatting her up as she mines ores in the labor camp your uncle oversees.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I am dying for the thick headband and bob to comeback more than I am for another series of star trek.

Ro so dreamy.

Imagine being a young Glinn chatting her up as she mines ores in the labor camp your uncle oversees.

uhh wasn't she a literal child when the cardies were there?

pretty sure she's supposed to be relatively fresh out of the academy in her first appearance, dude

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
TAKE THAT BULLSHIT OFF YOUR EAR ENSIGN THIS IS STARFLEET

Worf in the back chugging prune juice in his sash says "She is without honor"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Big Mean Jerk posted:

uhh wasn't she a literal child when the cardies were there?

pretty sure she's supposed to be relatively fresh out of the academy in her first appearance, dude

I said young Glinn.

And Bajoran children made the best miners. Much like Bajoran adults make the best whiners.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
If they ever need a version of star trek to appear in a Nazi-controlled alternate history I suggest calling it "Start Reich"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
must be nice living in a utopia so that you can eat giant bajoran sugar sticks and not worry about the cavities that ensue

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*lights joint in jeffery's tube*
"heh heh heh, welcome to the Miles high club"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

LeVar Burton's first screen tests for Geordi had him look like Eazy E wearing a Cosby sweater. I'm glad they went with the more natural look. VISOR not withstanding of course.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Automatic Slim posted:

LeVar Burton's first screen tests for Geordi had him look like Eazy E wearing a Cosby sweater. I'm glad they went with the more natural look. VISOR not withstanding of course.

That wasn't LeVar in the test footage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Police Automaton posted:

I remember the website of a sort of disgruntled technical/science advisor for TNG writers who talked about how he got largely ignored. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, it was Krieger Waves.

quote:

n the course of two years, the writers at ST:TNG (under the direction of co-Executive Producer Michael Piller) ignored probably a good 60% of everything I had to say, and that was just in the technical realm. I did my best to restrain the growth of the Star Trek particle zoo, but the writing staff, particularly during Season Four (1990-91) seemed addicted to the "Particle of the Week" syndrome.

In 1990 I finished my master's degree at UCLA. At the beginning of the fifth season of ST:TNG, when I was working at the RAND Corporation in Santa Monica, I phoned Michael Piller to ask for a screen credit, and was instead told that they "wouldn't be renewing the position." (However, another science advisor, Naren Shankar was hired, with screen credit, a while afterward.)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Seriously, this guy probably slept with more comely lieutenants on the Enterprise than Geordie ever did.

Think about it. In space for months at a time. Only 10-Forward or the Holodeck for fun. You got burned once by scoring a gossipy ensign on a small ship, so you've hosed nearly everything on the holodeck's menu after your second tour. And there, on the bottom of the list is Skull Faced Warrior.

And you say to yourself. Why not.

And suddenly the yellow lines disappear and its time to suck some nasal cavity.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just wrapped up Voyager today and boy they don't even try with that ending, like even a little bit, and I like Voyager. I'm wary of starting Enterprise.

Neelix was baller though, gently caress the haters. At one point he seduces a lady klingon warrior by slapping around Harry Kim and then he fucks her on Tuvok's bed so hard it breaks :cool:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just watched the DS9 episode "Favour the Bold" last night and it's absolutely :laffo:

Odo goes on a 3 day liquid-sex-binge and misses his resistance meeting to help the Federation to try and retake the station. Odo totally blows off his friends and almost causes the Alpha Quadrant to fall to the Dominion so he could score some old-lady-changeling pussy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just remembered that the proto-Borg bug wasn't the only character on Star Trek to get exploded.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is Picard a math genius though?

compared to fermat, absolutely. consider that 8 year olds on the enterprise learn calculus

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just remembered that the proto-Borg bug wasn't the only character on Star Trek to get exploded.

That effect is so amazing they should have killed Odo every episode Kenny style.

Edit: And do you think Julian went to his Odo and said 'I know what happens when one of your kind gets phasered.

And imagine what if they phasered the Great Link from a ship.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

chaosbreather posted:

compared to fermat, absolutely. consider that 8 year olds on the enterprise learn calculus

calculus aint hard though (algebra is hard)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

chaosbreather posted:

Was it though? The guy who solved it used and invented cutting edge techniques that Fermat would never have had access to. For Picard, a student of history, it seems the real mystery would be to prove the theorem using period maths.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is Picard a math genius though?

chaosbreather posted:

I read Simon Singh's book on Fermat's Last Theorem, the entire history upto it being solved.
And he said Fermat and other of the world's best mathematician's of that time only had access to a level not much higher than what school kids are taught in maths today.
So I can totally see 8 year olds in 300 years time being taught poo poo we were taught at 15-16 currently.

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
Lol if you think 8 year olds 300 years from now are going to be doing anything but scratching out a bleak existence from a dead polluted planet

Just lol

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

happyhippy posted:

That effect is so amazing they should have killed Odo every episode Kenny style.

Edit: And do you think Julian went to his Odo and said 'I know what happens when one of your kind gets phasered.

And imagine what if they phasered the Great Link from a ship.

every person shot by a phaser should blow up like that. besides being much more realistic, it's also totally loving metal.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

TAKE THAT BULLSHIT OFF YOUR EAR ENSIGN THIS IS STARFLEET

Worf in the back chugging prune juice in his sash says "She is without honor"

That's just how Riker breaks the ice.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

VectorSigma posted:

every person shot by a phaser should blow up like that. besides being much more realistic, it's also totally loving metal.

Why would they explode? Wouldn't it just burn a tunnel through them?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

Why would they explode?

Steam heat.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

criscodisco posted:

Why would they explode? Wouldn't it just burn a tunnel through them?

body water flash-boiling into steam would make a pretty good boom

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I would think that steam would blow out your eyeballs and anus before making your entire body explode into chunks.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
That seems like a supremely violent and inhumane weapon for the Federation.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No way, it's a defensive weapon. That's why they have phaser pistols, phaser rifles and phaser bazookas. For defense.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what's really goofy is when they vaporize a hundred tons of rock in an instant from ten feet away and inside a cave and all it does is just disappear.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

VectorSigma posted:

what's really goofy is when they vaporize a hundred tons of rock in an instant from ten feet away and inside a cave and all it does is just disappear.

Yet when fired inside the ship, just leave a carbon smudge on the wall.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

VectorSigma posted:

hey where does the heat go, hmmm

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

criscodisco posted:

Yah, they had to hang on a lantern on this is one of TOS movies. Something about how the ship monitors all weapons fire and can react to it.

I just remember a pot getting vaporized and some mashed potatoes holding up a whisk.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you've been at it all your life
all those hours in front of a mirror, practicing
countless stardates

finally you get a part on star trek
you get to fly the ship!
also in scene: troi, obrien

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

for real, a sci-fi show with realistic depictions of the energies involved would be both awesome and boring at the same time. space battles would be an invisible gamma-ray beam hitting an invisible target in the pitch-black darkness of space and disintegrating it in a flash of light and the whole thing would be over in a fraction of a second.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

VendaGoat posted:

Yah, they had to hang on a lantern on this is one of TOS movies. Something about how the ship monitors all weapons fire and can react to it.

I just remember a pot getting vaporized and some mashed potatoes holding up a whisk.

And of course I remember that (it was my first Trek in theaters!), but then like everything else it's immediately forgotten. Wasn't Data gonna phaser his emotion chip right in his quarters, or did I hallucinate that?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the tng explanation was tritanium bulkheads that cannot be melted by their current technology. of course, working it into usable shapes was no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Um they have power settings?? Read the lore