Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

That said, it's not really fair to judge people in a beginner class for not learning as fast as you. In my experience with language courses they don't switch into "everything you and the teacher says is in (language that's not english)" mode until the intermediate level.

When I was in sixth grade, our teacher allowed us to speak in English on only the first day of Spanish class. Easily 60% of the class spoke Spanish as their first language so they didn't care, but I was in the 40%. To be fair, it worked really well and pushed us to make friends with our Hispanic classmates. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A White Guy posted:

Second pet peeve: I'm taking an Italian class. It's beginner Italian, but I'm already fluent in Spanish, so I'm picking it up really quickly. I speak in Italian to my classmates, they answer me in english. I get not knowing how to respond, but motherfucker, you should know what the word for apple is by now.

Those people suck, I'm trying to learn Italian on my own and would kill to have someone to converse with.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Brawnfire posted:

People who roam around in bands of ten or more, striding into restaurants without reservations and acting affronted when given a wait time.

When those people start suggesting ways you could push tables together, as if you are a noble presiding over a feast in a great hall and not just the poor soul at the front desk. No, we can't take our multiple non-consecutive empty tables and fit them together, slide-puzzle-like, in a narrow walkway. The servers are not aerialists.

Hello fellow restaurant person

I work in a gigantic restaurant, so we can accommodate parties of 10, 20, 50, whatever. But no one wants to. We usually bring in extra staff if someone wants to come in with 19 of their dearest friends, so without a reservation, you're just forcing me to go, "UHHHH. Uh. gently caress. Maybe. poo poo. Let me check," and then whatever server is on gets mad at me for even asking.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's a small pet peeve of mine when I'm typing something into google, say, and it will auto-fill to what I want mid-way through typing; but just through momentum, I type another letter, and the auto-fill changes. So I lose a moment registering what just happened, and then I end up having to type the whole thing anyway.

Like:

c-a-v-s w-a-r = "cavs warriors schedule" which was good.

I hit R again and got

c-a-v-s w-a-r-r = "cavs warriors game 4 highlights"

:saddowns:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

Nonplussed is bad, but I really, really hate when someone says "doubleplus ungood". gently caress off.

1984 has essentially become a list of quotes and phrases people use to call other people Hitler.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

unwantedplatypus posted:

1984 has essentially become a list of quotes and phrases people use to call other people Hitler.

I was less referring to people clearly making references/comparisons to that book and more to people being like "this sandwich is doubleplus ungood".

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I have a pair of friends who are horrible flakes; like they will cancel less than an hour before we're scheduled to hang out. I've gotten on their case about it in the past, but it's still super annoying sometimes. Like, it's minor as hell, just getting together to play D&D, but I hate it when people don't have any appreciation for the minimal free time I have.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

when you send email updates to your boss when you're blackout drunk and they expect you to explain it to them the next work day. I have no idea what that is, it's very wrong, can we just pretend you never received that and instead got this correct plot?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Murphy Brownback posted:

when you send email updates to your boss when you're blackout drunk and they expect you to explain it to them the next work day. I have no idea what that is, it's very wrong, can we just pretend you never received that and instead got this correct plot?

Sounds like the boss should be the one with the pet peeve.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Davros1 posted:

Sounds like the boss should be the one with the pet peeve.

I'd be peeved too if I got an email with belligerent quacking at 1am

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stoatbringer posted:

It's perfectly fine Martian word.

I know what it means and where it comes from, I've even read Stranger in a Strange Land, I just think it's really obnoxious to use it in real life.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiggum posted:

I know what it means and where it comes from, I've even read Stranger in a Strange Land, I just think it's really obnoxious to use it in real life.

It a perfectly cromulent word.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

That said, it's not really fair to judge people in a beginner class for not learning as fast as you. In my experience with language courses they don't switch into "everything you and the teacher says is in (language that's not english)" mode until the intermediate level.

I had a single trimester of Spanish in my junior high and no more because my teacher from day one spoke nothing but Spanish. It was always a wow moment when when any of us heard her speak English.

Course, I eventually worked in a kitchen and learned a not-quite-sufficent grasp of the language. And I could swear.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

When those people start suggesting ways you could push tables together, as if you are a noble presiding over a feast in a great hall and not just the poor soul at the front desk.
"Guys, it's our lunch rush--there's no way we can seat all ten of you together for at least an hour. If you want seats in pairs or groups of four, we can have most of you seated in fewer than fifteen minutes. Next time, please give us a few hours' notice and we'll see what we can do."

*looks at dining room* "Well, how about you just push all of those," *points at occupied booths along wall* "together with those," *points at occupied round center tables* "and you can fit us all."

*the "you found a secret" tune from The Legend of Zelda plays over the PA system*

"Right this way, gentlemen"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
One of my friends posted a Facebook status about having lost 15 pounds. One of the comments was "Congrats, I lost 40." gently caress one-uppers, and gently caress people who have to make everything about themselves.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

One of my friends posted a Facebook status about having lost 15 pounds. One of the comments was "Congrats, I lost 40." gently caress one-uppers, and gently caress people who have to make everything about themselves.

Related: when someone posts a positive/uplifting update and some guy barges in and comments like "that's great, but my best friend just killed himself (or similarly depressing things) so...". It's like going up to a group of coworkers celebrating something and butting in and saying "my dog died". It just kills the atmosphere and turns it into a therapy session.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cash crab posted:

Hello fellow restaurant person

I work in a gigantic restaurant, so we can accommodate parties of 10, 20, 50, whatever. But no one wants to. We usually bring in extra staff if someone wants to come in with 19 of their dearest friends, so without a reservation, you're just forcing me to go, "UHHHH. Uh. gently caress. Maybe. poo poo. Let me check," and then whatever server is on gets mad at me for even asking.

What up :sludgepal:

Definitely correct, and that's another peeve: Servers will moan about not getting seated, especially if it's summer and they're not on patio. But then seat them a big party or a couple smaller ones in a row to try to throw them a bone, and suddenly they're overwhelmed. Overwhelmed, and yet able to come to the front desk to moan...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When people fill the kettle through the spout as opposed to opening the lid and filling it correctly.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Related: people who comment on your whatever post with something different about another person. Usually it's older relatives doing this.

"After weeks of struggling, I finally lost the last few pounds of baby weight!"
"Your cousin Marsha just had her baby twelve pounds ten ounces named Serena Zachariah Wistbee so beautiful I love babies Auntie Marie."

It's not a letter, Auntie Marie. You don't need to sign your name. Also who the gently caress is Marsha and why would I care about her baby, we're talking about my waistline here.

My peeve: "you came out of nowhere!" No one ever comes out of nowhere. You weren't paying attention, rear end in a top hat. This pisses me off especially because it happens a lot during dangerous activity. LIke if I'm running on the sidewalk and some goober is leaving a gas station or parking lot and nearly runs me over. "Where the hell did you come from?!" I came from the SIDEWALK that you just DROVE OVER. Same with people who get in car accidents. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't always there. Pay attention to what you're doing next time, and you'll realize people and objects don't just materialize out of thin air.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

YeahTubaMike posted:

"That must have been tough! I'm so glad I don't need to lose that much."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

"That must have been tough! I'm so glad I don't need to lose that much."

Love it. "Good for you, halfway there!!!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My peeve: "you came out of nowhere!" No one ever comes out of nowhere. You weren't paying attention, rear end in a top hat. This pisses me off especially because it happens a lot during dangerous activity. LIke if I'm running on the sidewalk and some goober is leaving a gas station or parking lot and nearly runs me over. "Where the hell did you come from?!" I came from the SIDEWALK that you just DROVE OVER. Same with people who get in car accidents. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't always there. Pay attention to what you're doing next time, and you'll realize people and objects don't just materialize out of thin air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inm48rlAcXs

Recent annoyance: people who do the pretending they can't hear you thing when you're trying to talk to them. Like if they're playing something on their phone or "focused" on something else and you can sense them trying harder and harder not to notice you saying their name increasingly loudly until they snap and yell "WHAT?" at you. Just acknowledge that you heard me and tell me to wait a minute and I will.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tiggum posted:

I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Related: people who comment on your whatever post with something different about another person. Usually it's older relatives doing this.

"Your cousin Marsha just had her baby twelve pounds ten ounces named Serena Zachariah Wistbee so beautiful I love babies Auntie Marie."

It's not a letter, Auntie Marie. You don't need to sign your name. Also who the gently caress is Marsha and why would I care about her baby, we're talking about my waistline here.

Those people don't seem to realise that you can send messages or post on other people's walls. All they know how to do on Facebook is post on their own wall or comment on someone else's post, so when they see a post from someone they haven't heard from in a while they have to take that opportunity to comment with whatever they want to say to them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oooh, ooh! People who reply directly to the original status without reading any of the nested comments, thus stating something pointed out numerous times, or missing the point from lack of vital information, or starting a parallel thread of nested comments running much the same course as the other.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
^ ETA: or the opposite of that sort of. Ages ago I commented on that dumb tow truck story where the tow guy refused service to a person with a Bernie sticker. Month or so later I'm having people replying to my comment, but clearly intending to just comment on the story itself. So now I get notified with "free market" and am confused until I remember that one time I touched the poop on a Fox News story. How the hell do these people manage to find my comment amongst hundreds of comments, click on it, and the construct a response that has nothing to do with my comment.
---
When people make jokes to my bf like, "Hey, is that your daughter or your girlfriend? Haw haw haw."

Yeah, he's older than me but he looks young and I'm not that young anyway. It's so loving creepy. Creepy creepy creepy. Can't people just say "Hey, you look nice today!" or "You two seem happy, did you do something fun today?" Why is everyone sarcastic these days? It's like we were ruined by 90s sitcoms.

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 13, 2016

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

A White Guy posted:

Pet peeve: Anybody who won't stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and tries to beat them by going really fast. Dude, if you hit someone in crosswalk and don't kill them, they are going to own your every earthly possession in trial court. It will be your fault, and you might end up in jail,because you can't wait ten loving seconds for them to cross.

Second pet peeve: I'm taking an Italian class. It's beginner Italian, but I'm already fluent in Spanish, so I'm picking it up really quickly. I speak in Italian to my classmates, they answer me in english. I get not knowing how to respond, but motherfucker, you should know what the word for apple is by now.

I work at a university and can take courses for free, so a few years ago, I took two semesters of intensive Russian. (Class met every day for an hour.) In the first semester, we spent 2 weeks learning to read and write the alphabet, and then moved on to learning the language. There was one girl in the class who, by the end of the semester, STILL could not read the alphabet, couldn't understand spoken Russian, and when the professor called on her in class, she would sit there in silence. The professor would stay silent and wait for a response for what seemed like 30 seconds, and the girl didn't make a sound at any point, didn't even try. (I never turned to look at her because I was too busy dying of second-hand embarrassment, but I'm 99% the girl wasn't sitting there with a big scowl or staying silent in defiance, because she was very sweet and friendly when we worked in groups, and she came to class every day. She just didn't contribute anything, or learn anything, either, apparently.)

So I assumed that she had taken the course for a language credit, had realized she was in over her head past the drop/add period, and had to just stick it out till the end of the semester, when she'd get a failing grade.

OH HO!

The first day of the second semester class, she's there in the room! I say hello to her and something like, "Wow, the first semester was pretty tough," and she says, "Yeah, I know. I was surprised I got a B!"

A B

She couldn't speak or understand a word of Russian and couldn't evEN READ THE ALPHABET AND SHE GOT A B.

That's some bullshit.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Murphy Brownback posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inm48rlAcXs

Recent annoyance: people who do the pretending they can't hear you thing when you're trying to talk to them. Like if they're playing something on their phone or "focused" on something else and you can sense them trying harder and harder not to notice you saying their name increasingly loudly until they snap and yell "WHAT?" at you. Just acknowledge that you heard me and tell me to wait a minute and I will.

God I hate that. That's every day with my wife. I can yell her name a dozen times and she'll ignore me entirely when she's playing with her tablet. She always yells, "I'M LISTENING!" after the 12th time. Well, then nod your head or make a grunt or respond in any one of a million ways you daffy bitch.

You must remember that I am loud as gently caress when I talk. I have no volume control and people complain 2 rooms over that they can hear me clear as day at my office. Yet my wife sitting 6 feet away completely zones out when she's diddling with her tablet.

However, if I'm downstairs and I don't respond to her in a millisecond, she starts screeching like a harpy. Worse yet, sometimes she just starts talking before I've gotten close enough to hear her. She knows I have piss-poor hearing, but doesn't take it into account.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mostlygray posted:

God I hate that. That's every day with my wife. I can yell her name a dozen times and she'll ignore me entirely when she's playing with her tablet. She always yells, "I'M LISTENING!" after the 12th time. Well, then nod your head or make a grunt or respond in any one of a million ways you daffy bitch.

You must remember that I am loud as gently caress when I talk. I have no volume control and people complain 2 rooms over that they can hear me clear as day at my office. Yet my wife sitting 6 feet away completely zones out when she's diddling with her tablet.

However, if I'm downstairs and I don't respond to her in a millisecond, she starts screeching like a harpy. Worse yet, sometimes she just starts talking before I've gotten close enough to hear her. She knows I have piss-poor hearing, but doesn't take it into account.

Have you considered divorce

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Have you considered divorce

:sever:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I feel like I've posted this before but my housemate does the 'deaf when focusing on something' thing and it is so bizarre. If she's watching TV I can walk up to her and go through a whole speech about something and she won't blink. If I call her name multiple times (while standing 2 feet from her) she won't respond. I don't know what it is but when she watches TV she just goes into full zombie mode and nothing can interrupt her viewing experience.

When I was younger I had another friend who did the same thing but it was definitely more a weird attention-seeking behaviour while I feel like with my housemate she genuinely isn't aware of anything around her when she's focused on the TV.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Sorry you married my ex. Does she also leave the sink full of dishes and then yell at you for leaving a glass on the counter?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

When people fill the kettle through the spout as opposed to opening the lid and filling it correctly.

We had one of these when I was growing up. It's probably the most egregiously dumb design in the history of mankind designing things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some things my work friends do on social media that make me roll my eyes:

-Quoting oneself for a status. Especially because whatever wacky quip the person makes is usually a 10-year-old meme like "go home, you're drunk."

-Linking twitter and Facebook and then bombarding my newsfeed with 10 lovely tweets in a row.

-Taking a selfie and captioning it with a random literary quote to appear profound.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Writer Cath posted:

I have a pair of friends who are horrible flakes; like they will cancel less than an hour before we're scheduled to hang out. I've gotten on their case about it in the past, but it's still super annoying sometimes. Like, it's minor as hell, just getting together to play D&D, but I hate it when people don't have any appreciation for the minimal free time I have.

I'm in this same situation. Recently my boyfriend and I were halfway through a 45 minute drive to meet them to see a movie and they texted to say they couldn't go. They cancel on us all the time, even when they made the plan in the first place, and then have the balls to whine that we never hang out any more. :mad:

GEE I WONDER WHY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Solid Cake posted:

I'm in this same situation. Recently my boyfriend and I were halfway through a 45 minute drive to meet them to see a movie and they texted to say they couldn't go. They cancel on us all the time, even when they made the plan in the first place, and then have the balls to whine that we never hang out any more. :mad:

GEE I WONDER WHY

Do they have "social anxiety"? I have one couple I don't hang out with because one of them had (in her words) "really intense social anxiety", and the other would go over-the-top to placate it. The thing is, I never really saw any evidence that she was anxious or anything, so much as just kind of lazy and wanting to do her own poo poo without people in the house. In any case, if she showed so much as a lick of disinterest in the social situation at any point, he'd get all "YOU OKAY BABE? LET'S GET OUT OF HERE BABE" or sending everyone home because she was looking at her phone for a while. Maybe there was some sort of subtle communication going on there, but myself and other friends started to just take it as a sign they didn't really want to hang out with other people in the first place. Cancelling plans right before they happened, making up excuses for not showing up to things, even standing us up at a restaurant because ???

Maybe they were making plans in her good moments or whatever, but if her social anxiety was that strong one would think they'd never make plans with anyone, just to avoid confrontation.

...come to think of it, they were probably addicts or something.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I understand that others deal with their social lives differently. I had a friend that would intentionally plan three different things with three different groups, and then figure out what he actually wanted to do. I've also had lots of friends that made plans and then canceled last minute for something else. In all those instances, I get that it is just how they operate. But from my standpoint, while they are off doing something else that is probably fun, I'm stuck with no plans and nothing to do, really, since everyone else is out.

I've just made it a rule in my life to stop actively making plans with people that do that. It's a lot of stress I don't need.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My grandmother is the WORST about this, although it's also sort of cute in a way.

Me: Gio Gonzalez is a DILF.
Friends (within the next couple of hours): [various comments/likes]
Grams (like nine days later or some poo poo): Hi honey, how are you today? [insert lengthy string of heart/animal emojis here]

She also posts pictures of me and my cousins all the time and, though they are friends-only and untagged, she has also friended seemingly everyone on Facebook that shares her maiden name. I don't loving know these people, and I don't want them looking at me. :tinfoil:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I dunno, I've had idiot kids and adults both walk out from between cars on the street and right across the road without looking. Granted, yes, inattentive drivers are at fault more often than not, but inattentive pedestrians who think everyone has to stop for their stupid jaywalking rear end are just as bad. That's the worst to me, people loving around in the road when cars are coming, then getting upset when you honk to move their asses so you can get by - I had an older couple get upset at me when they stepped into the road right in front of my car without looking (their backs were to me, they didn't even turn their heads) and I honked and swerved. Makes me really, really want to just floor it and plaster them to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of honking, my peeve is people that have their lock/unlock buttons on the car set to honk. My neighbor's driveway is four feet away from my bedroom window. It's really not that hard to set it to a soft beep that you can still hear.