Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

We have our first scandal in the PA race.

Buzzfeed has discovered that Katie McGinty was not the first person in her family to go to college, contrary to her claims.

The discovery was the result of an intense muckraking investigation - they looked at her brother's LinkedIn profile.

Obviously she doesn't consider her brother to be family. That's tough but I want to vote for someone with the guts to say that in public while running for office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

Illinois' Democratic party is hopelessly dysfunctional and run by an evil genius.

It's pretty cool he's got the record for longest statehouse leader tenure in American history

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 12:34 on Jun 4, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cliff Racer posted:

Some are actually really good at doing their job. Kentucky, Montana etc. in what would be thought of as red states but also the orgs on all three of the west coast states seem pretty good at maintaining their powerbase, if nothing else.

See: Bevin, Matt

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Geoff Peterson posted:

Look for the ones that have been terrible for more than a decade. The recession and the tea party wave caught a lot of people with their pants down, and nobody has really figured out a coherent way to handle the shift. Note that this isn't just the Democrats-they claimed Cantor's scalp and have been picking off establishment GOP picks for years.

There have been a mix of successful strategies-Minnesota's DFL took back the governorship while running on a platform of higher taxes, elected the first muslim congressman, had two senate races so easy that MIGF could have run them successfully and managed to fight off Voter ID and Marriage Ban referendums. NV and MO showed the strategy of steering into the skid and were rewarded with races against Angle and Aikn, the west coast states seem to be replenishing their benches effectively and North Carolina has shown some substantial progress by utilizing assets that may only be available regionally (Moral Monday).

Its really interesting how the Republican party of Nevada rebuilt itself. It went from being hostiley taken over by Paulites (and a shadow org being formed to handle the 2012 elections in that state so they wouldn't have to deal with the official state party) to winning every row office in 2014 despite some damaged candidates along with a congressional seat they really had no business being successful in.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

See: Bevin, Matt

That's more on Jack Conway being terrible. Massachusetts Dems couldn't help equally terrible Martha Coakley in a strong blue state.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

equally terrible Martha Coakley in a strong blue state.

I will never understand how a wildly popular AG could be such a poo poo-rear end candidate for literally every other state office.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alter Ego posted:

I will never understand how a wildly popular AG could be such a poo poo-rear end candidate for literally every other state office.

When the Attorney General is an elected office, it tends to be one that a lot of people don't bother to vote for, and so you don't have to be a great candidate compared to normal positions. People will probably just straight up vote for you on basis of your party alongside other candidates if they bother to vote at all. And there's also not nearly as much campaigning, usually.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

When the Attorney General is an elected office, it tends to be one that a lot of people don't bother to vote for, and so you don't have to be a great candidate compared to normal positions. People will probably just straight up vote for you on basis of your party alongside other candidates if they bother to vote at all. And there's also not nearly as much campaigning, usually.

Well thats certainly not true where I live.

What actually happened was that Conway was a pretty good candidate but ran in a polarized race in a state that favored the other party. Not all good candidates win (and not all bad candidates lose.)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GalacticAcid posted:

We have our first scandal in the PA race.

Buzzfeed has discovered that Katie McGinty was not the first person in her family to go to college, contrary to her claims.

The discovery was the result of an intense muckraking investigation - they looked at her brother's LinkedIn profile.

I read about this the same day I saw Donald Trump making GBS threads on a Mexican American judge presiding over a fraud case against the republican nominee for president of the United States.
Katie McGinty could push an old woman in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs and we'd all still be numb to it after whatever 500th crazy thing Trump did yesterday.
It's a good year for down ticket races to air out their dirty laundry.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kirk wants to win.

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/740267503444627456

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You left out the part where he'll vote for Petraeus as a write-in. :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's in an impossible situation now....either support Trump and get destroyed come November, or don't support Trump and risk the party's ire in November

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's in an impossible situation now....either support Trump and get destroyed come November, or don't support Trump and risk the party's ire in November

Well considering the state republican party consists of 2 dudes in kenilworth (him & rauner) he doesn't have much to risk

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/omar-mateen-s-father-apologizes-after-orlando-pulse-massacre-n590821

quote:

Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Florida, whose district includes the area of the massacre, suggested to reporters that "more likely than not" the shooting spree at the nightclub was ideologically motivated.

"Let me put it this way," he said, "the nationality of family members is indicative."
will... will this quote actually hurt him?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

No

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's pretty clear that words coming out of his mouth can't hurt Grayson. The bigger concern for him is that Rubio is hinting that these events are making him reconsider leaving the Senate. He has until June 25th to file.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

It's pretty clear that words coming out of his mouth can't hurt Grayson. The bigger concern for him is that Rubio is hinting that these events are making him reconsider leaving the Senate. He has until June 25th to file.

Isn't Rubio suffering from some severe vote disapproval following his primary run? If he does opt to run again, will his negatives be enough to deny his re-election or is it going to be a jungle bus where all his opponents divide the pie and he ekes it out on sheer luck?

Would be great to watch him run again and then straight up lose.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Little Marco is really going to use 50 corpses for a political boost?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Little Marco is really going to use 50 corpses for a political boost?

I mean he might try like Romney did with Benghazi.

It will probably work just as well as it did for Romney though.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gonna laugh if Jeb! decides to beat Rubio to the punch and file to run for that senate seat. Even his approval can't be as bad as liddle Marco's right now

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hahahaha, Florida Man Grayson is trying to move to the Senate? Dang, I should have followed this thread. I guess a Democratic buffoon is better than a Republican.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack of Hearts posted:

Hahahaha, Florida Man Grayson is trying to move to the Senate? Dang, I should have followed this thread. I guess a Democratic buffoon is better than a Republican.

How do you feel about Republicans turned Democrat? 'Cause Murphy is more likely to be the Democratic nominee.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/jacobfhsmith/status/742415921482989569

ty mormons

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I can understand Portman in OH but Toomey? He's a right wing lunatic in a blue state....

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
PA is more schizophrenic than solid blue, particularly when it comes to the Senate unless you consider Santorum ancient history.

At this point though it's probably more name recognition than anything. I assume it's the same poll that has McGinty's fav/unfav at like 28/28*. Which probably explains the boatload of ads from business groups.

* edit: actually that's from TPM's poll tracker going off of a whole two data points, so :shrug:. It looks like that new poll has hers at 34/26 unfavorable to Toomey's 41/29. Probably too early to worry about anyway.

edit edit: actually I don't have a clue what that tracker is based on, it says this PPP poll isn't included since it was an internet poll and there's only one other poll listed so what the gently caress.

Polygynous has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Jun 13, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

feingold beating johnson by 10 is very satisfying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

feingold beating johnson by 10 is very satisfying

The idea that a barely functional mentally handicapped adult like Ron Johnson could beat someone like Russ Feingold in an election is beyond mind blowing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gyges posted:

How do you feel about Republicans turned Democrat? 'Cause Murphy is more likely to be the Democratic nominee.

Still probably a better person than Grayson at this point.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Pat Toomey is very conservative, but he's also good at keeping his head down, doesn't say anything too controversial and occasional throws a bi-partisan bone out there for his blue-state constituents.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

not a fan of toomey.... too me he's bad

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mcmagic posted:

The idea that a barely functional mentally handicapped adult like Ron Johnson could beat someone like Russ Feingold in an election is beyond mind blowing.

Midterms are a hell of a drug.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cliff Racer posted:

Well thats certainly not true where I live.

What actually happened was that Conway was a pretty good candidate but ran in a polarized race in a state that favored the other party. Not all good candidates win (and not all bad candidates lose.)
Conway was a terrible candidate. He made almost zero personal campaign appearances to voters, had almost no defined campaign positions, and relied almost completely on blanketing the airwaves with Bevin attack ads which only managed to increase Bevin's name recognition. He couldn't beat Nprthup when he was the Dem candidate for house in Louisville. The only reason he ever managed to be a politician was Beshear's long long coat tails.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Conway was a terrible candidate. He made almost zero personal campaign appearances to voters, had almost no defined campaign positions, and relied almost completely on blanketing the airwaves with Bevin attack ads which only managed to increase Bevin's name recognition. He couldn't beat Nprthup when he was the Dem candidate for house in Louisville. The only reason he ever managed to be a politician was Beshear's long long coat tails.

Could Beshear have beaten Rand paul this year?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mitt Romney posted:

I am not from nor have I ever been to Kentucky but that seems like one of the few states where riding Trump's coat tails is a net positive rather than negative.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyges posted:

Midterms are a hell of a drug.

The level of difference between those 2 men goes beyond "LOL Midterms." It's one of the more despicable election results that I can ever remember. It makes you lose faith in democracy as a system of government.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So after claiming a bunch of times that he wouldn't run for re-election, Marco Rubio has now confirmed he is considering running...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bc4f48a4b72648dc8f5cb9e353b6ba4b/marco-rubio-suggests-hes-reconsidering-leaving-senate

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mitt Romney posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much Beshear's hypothetical campaign is run by his own people and how much is run by the Kentucky Democratic Party. The more of the latter the less of a chance IMO.

Beshear is pretty popular in the state, but Rand hits a lot of the old school 'Gubmint Bad, Business Good' mentality this state has, especially in the economically depressed regions.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FlamingLiberal posted:

So after claiming a bunch of times that he wouldn't run for re-election, Marco Rubio has now confirmed he is considering running...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bc4f48a4b72648dc8f5cb9e353b6ba4b/marco-rubio-suggests-hes-reconsidering-leaving-senate

Guessing that moves the seat to lean GOP?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mitt Romney posted:

Guessing that moves the seat to lean GOP?

Lil Marco didn't do strong enough in the 2010 election to warrant much change in the race if he is in. Especially after the Republicans dropped him like a minority while voting for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I personally was always of the opinion that Pat Murphy made the race lean Dem so if it doesn't change it to lean D it at least moves it over to pure toss up.

edit: And I always found the "Marco hates the senate" stuff to be bullshit, he rose to power through the Florida state legislature and had to have been used to partisanship as a byproduct of his time there.

edit: For those who don't pay attention to DKE, apparently two of the current major candidates, Rep. Jolly and Lt. Gov. Lopez-Cantera are both going to defer to Rubio if he runs again. Rubio would have the establishment solidly behind him with only, really, Beruff standing in his way in the primary.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Jun 16, 2016

• Locked thread