Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

dordreff posted:

would roman get over if he was a cat?

We both know the fan base would be pissed off that he wasn't a goat.

Skippy (April 15, 1929)

Peanuts (Starring A Beagle In Exile) (June 16, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 31-June 1, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 31, 1929)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Thought Balloons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

That's where the bathroom is!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Selachian posted:

Edge of Thought Balloons

He's slowly turning into The Man With the Yellow Hat!

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
gently caress this entire poo poo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'd rather he do more of those than some preachy 40-year old vegan comix.

Ballard Street

Dennis is allowed to cuss because he's shaded like a noir detective.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Thought Balloons

...his thought balloon in the last panel is literally the text we see right on the window.

That's some good writing, that is.

e: that short sci-fi movie written by predictive text software has more natural dialog than this comic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two people to produce that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

... Who the gently caress paints the floor?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's cheaper than refinishing wood floors.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Maybe he's applying finish? With a paintbrush? But I could've sworn their rooms were all carpeted. I don't loving know with this comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Painting concrete floors is the new hotness for house flippers because it's quicker, cheaper, and easier than even carpeting and looks good enough until you actually have to live with it.

But I don't think they've been flipping houses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He's just fulfilling his obligation as a comic strip character to paint himself into a corner.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Endless Mike posted:

Painting concrete floors is the new hotness for house flippers because it's quicker, cheaper, and easier than even carpeting and looks good enough until you actually have to live with it.

But I don't think they've been flipping houses.

You know if I'm buying a house, I'm going to buy one with actual floors rather than the painted concrete foundation.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Presto posted:

I hope Piro's name is actually "Pyro" and he burns down the dorm with everyone in it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You know if I'm buying a house, I'm going to buy one with actual floors rather than the painted concrete foundation.

When I was house hunting last year, I actually saw a place with painted concrete floors. It also featured a front door step covered in bathroom wall tile (?!?). Unsurprisingly, all the pictures on the listing were from like 2005, before the current residents moved in. We got out fast.

Seriously, bathroom wall tile cracks easily and gets slippery when wet. Why would you put it outdoors, underfoot, ever?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you're in a fast-moving market where flippers tend to live, it makes plenty of sense. Consider if you're looking to buy a house and you find one that's 95% what you want, and in your price range, only it has painted concrete floors, and there's a very good chance it'll be sold within days. Most people would take it and buy carpeting or rugs or whatever, and people flipping houses know this.

I should note that "painting" generally means staining then covering in clearcoat. It doesn't look bad, honestly, it's just not what most people actually want in their house.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mudroom, maybe? A sealer coat before tiling?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

What I'm getting from these explanations is that there are multiple valid reasons that one could, in fact, be using a paint brush on the floor, and yet even then I can't shake the feeling that the setup is actually just really contrived. Perhaps that says more about me than the strip, but man.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its his fault for not locking the door.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Literally my dog's life

it is uncomfortable when Ballard Street intersects with your existence

e: wrong comic

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: that short sci-fi movie written by predictive text software has more natural dialog than this comic.
Go on.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/06/an-ai-wrote-this-movie-and-its-strangely-moving/

It makes about as much sense as David Lynch's Dune :v:

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I love Pros and Cons.

King Aroo (May 21, 1951)

Barnaby (October 26, 1942)

Nancy (July 5, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 18, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 16, 1923)

Barney Google (April 3, 1922)

Lil' Abner (November 30, 1936)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

You certainly don't paint them with a teeny weeny paintbrush on your all fours, unless you want to bust your back and your knees and never get the work done.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Zereth posted:

He appears to be looking at a (white) computer monitor.
Ah, that's the part that threw me. My eyes interpreted those white angles as sheets of paper.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God, I love Ballard Street.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nenonen posted:

You certainly don't paint them with a teeny weeny paintbrush on your all fours, unless you want to bust your back and your knees and never get the work done.

And you lock the loving door, too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Samovar posted:

God, I love Ballard Street.

One of the few comics in this thread I read without any hint of self loathing or irony. It's just fantastic. I grew up reading Larson! comic books (the Swedish name for "The far side" was "Larson!" for some unknown reason) and Balkard st. was often in it. I loved it then as I do now.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Except that the brother could have drawn an extra switch on his scar to shift blame. That has literally been an Inspector Danger solution before.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Evil Mastermind posted:

...his thought balloon in the last panel is literally the text we see right on the window.

That's some good writing, that is.

Just a reminder that this comic has been running for over three months and the only thing to happen is the main character got up and walked to work.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's funny, I had never heard of Ballard Street before I starting posting in these threads. I came in at the tail end of one, and I read through the first 300 pages first, where I fell in love with this weird one-panel that nobody seemed to understand. By the time I got to the end of the thread, the person who had been posting them had stopped, so I picked it up. I originally just came here to post Pooch Café.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Except at that one place where it was wide open with the airplane and stuff but forget about that it's much safer to try to dive into this underground river and hope there's 1) an opening big enough for all of us to get through, 2) that it leads to a place with air, and 3) eventually leads to an exit and doesn't just go deeper and deeper until it reaches somewhere where we cannot continue."

Selachian posted:

Edge of Thought Balloons

Tonight, on Where In the World Is Carmine Sandiego?, the fortune teller!

F Minus

Mary Worth

Victory Lap commencing.

Rex Morgan MD

"Can't we have our former nanny who is now a billionaire CEO do it?"

Secret Agent X-9

She is needed for this plan because ___.

Apartment 3-G

This one reminds me of 9CL writing.
I noticed you didn't post Jungle Jim, and I remember you didn't really want to keep doing that for long anyways, so I thought I'd add it to my Sunday rotation. It works for me because two of the comics I post don't have a Sunday anyways.

Jungle Jim

So I guess we'll just see how this not-at-all-white-supremacist adventure goes.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 13, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Transmodiar posted:

Just a reminder that this comic has been running for over three months and the only thing to happen is the main character got up and walked to work.
I particularly like that the gocomics page has a whole cast section featuring the most generic set of character achetypes you could imagine and Charles de Gaulle.

quote:

CAST
Dr. Sam Cooper: The main character
Collin: His eye-patch wearing friend, pilot and mechanic
Elizabeth Fielden: a hopeful romantic interest for Sam
Dr. Clawburg: evil scientist living in underwater cave / laboratory
Brotous: monstrous muntant henchman and muscle for Dr. Clawburg
Felix Eboue: governor of Chad (French equatorial Africa)
Charles de Gaulle: French General
Also that out of all those we've so far seen Sam and very briefly Collin.

Also that it's trying for pulp adventure but from the cast list comes off more like Danger Mouse.

e: holy poo poo

quote:

A true return to those "thrilling days of yesteryear," all centered around an American doctor traveling the world seeking self redemption after the accidental death of his wife.
we're not even past the setup yet

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 13, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

He hasn't even done that because he's not at work yet.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

RandomFerret posted:

I'd rather he do more of those than some preachy 40-year old vegan comix.

Ballard Street

Dennis is allowed to cuss because he's shaded like a noir detective.

Have you stopped posting Pooch Cafe? I know it wasn't commented on, but I personally enjoyed the tone it had and thought its brand of insanity was a perfect combo with Ballard Street. The last arc with the canned food was hilarious.

Edit: oops, never mind. Still, I'll leave this here as testament to my love of Pooch Cafe

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, I'm just breaking the two strips into separate posts while I get caught up on the last couple of weeks. Scroll up a bit!

• Locked thread