Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Does anyone actually do anything when your fitness guy tells you players are "exhausted and in need of a long rest"?

I give them 3 days off training and rotate them out of the starting lineup for the next match. If it's one of my top, top men and there's an important upcoming match, I'll try to limit their minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Send them on holiday for a week. Unless they make a habit of coming back from international stuff tired or I really need them in which case they only get 3 days off training.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I play the same team almost every game and have a squad of about twenty. I always have a happy squad and don't seem to get a lot of injuries.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Yes, that certainly was a game.
For reference, their goals was a dubious penalty when we were 7-0 up.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I love getting to the point where you're so well respected as a club manager that any player complaints can be met with "shut up i'm the boss do your job" and they just go "yeah sorry boss"

saves me a fortune in contract renewals as long as i can keep the dumbass release clauses out

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyway I've managed to put a pretty good loving team together at Aberdeen in three seasons with limited as heck funds, but we just went to Camp Nou and put 6 past Barcelona in the CL so I thought I'd share some of my sweet rear end signings. Never ended up spending more than 11-12 mil in a transfer window.

Core team:

GK: Alisson. Bought him from Internacional for 6.5m.

DL: Phillip Max. Originally bought him as defense cover for Shinnie and Logan since he can play both fullback spots, but after a season he's a firm starter for LB. 1.3m from Augsburg.
DC: Marc-Oliver Kempf. Apparently a wunderkind, might need some time to reach first team potential but in the SPL that wasn't an issue. 3.5m from Stuttgart.
DC: Antonio Marín. Relatively high potential young fellow for cheap as poo poo. Can play centre and rightback. 2.6m from Almeria.
DR: Giuseppe Scalera. High potential Italian fellow, still developing but started getting MoM awards straightaway. 1.3m from Bari.

CM: John Hou Sćter. One of my best signings, getting sniffed around by big teams and key team member. 600k from Rosenborg.
CM: Lucas Romero. Cheap, reliable, ever present. 3m from Velez.
LM: Joe Bryan. Bought on a whim to pad the squad with Scottish players for CL, ended up a key player. 2.3m from Bristol.
RM: Carlos Mané. Might have to wait until 18/19 until he's transfer listed, but ace player for relatively little money and can play both left and right. 6m from Sporting Lisbon.
ACM: Maximilian Arnold. Again, might not get transfer listed until later, but very good player. Can play both wings but is better suited to centre and centre attacking mid. 6.75m from Dortmund

ST: Andrei Ivan. High potential, (relatively) low cost. 5.25m from CS U Craiova.
ST: Ryu Seung-Woo. Some shortcomings, overall good player, doesn't score everything but can assist and play on the wings as well. 2.4m from Leverkusen.
ST: Jason Cummings. Great bargain. For some reason he's still only got 2 stars from the coach rec but his off the ball is high and he'll score hat tricks against Barcelona and the like. Cost me 1m from Hibernian, you can probably get him for as low as 300k earlier but you might have to loan him back for a year.

Backups:

GK: Danny Ward. Cheap and useful. 450k from Liverpool.

DC: John Souttar. Not amazing, but one of the better Scottish players and gets international experience. 3.9m from Dundee United.
DC: Filip Dagerstĺl. Is taking his sweet time reaching his potential but is getting there slowly. 500k from Norrköping.

Rest of my backups were original Aberdeen players and probably worth taking a look at if you're a championship or low prem side. Ryan Jack, Graeme Shinnie, Niall McGinn and Peter Pawlett all still feature every now and again.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Booted up a new save in the PL and the ever present reminder that Liverpool and United have boosted their squads potentials a hell of a lot slapped me in the face once more. Like, Depay winning the golden boot with 32 goals in his first season. Wonder if he'll still be a world beater in FM17?

Also I wonder how big of a boost Vardy gets if he goes to Arsenal.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Depay would've been rated by the PSV researcher. Vardy would be rated by the Leicester researcher.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To demonstrate just how good the research team is, this email was sent out this morning:

quote:

Positioning is a DEFENSIVE attribute that describes how good a player is at maintaining a defensive position.

Movement is an ATTACKING attribute that describes how good a player is at finding space in attacking areas.

Please try to remember the difference when getting giddy about how brilliant your team’s strikers are.

Thank you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Haha, that's amazing.

I love the SPL, I'm at 82 points in the table with 85 GD.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Coohoolin posted:

Anyway I've managed to put a pretty good loving team together at Aberdeen in three seasons with limited as heck funds, but we just went to Camp Nou and put 6 past Barcelona in the CL so I thought I'd share some of my sweet rear end signings. Never ended up spending more than 11-12 mil in a transfer window.

Nice, gonna check a few of these out

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Nice, gonna check a few of these out

Cool, let me know how you get on. In the meantime I've had some additions- Alan Dzagoev and James Wilson on free transfers, CSKA and Man Utd don't seem to rate them that highly after 5 years, and Jordan Amavi from Dortmund for 6m. Amavi's a funny one, his transfer history in my game is whack, you might be able to get him for cheaper earlier. 15/16 Nice to Aston Villa for 8m, 16/17 to Juventus for 9.25m, 17/18 to Leverkusen for 2.8m, 18/19 to Dortmund for 9.25m, and then I bought him midseason 19/20 for 6m. Leverkusen got the best deal, but it seems like he just needs playing time- when I signed him he was scouted at 3.5 stars, but the coach rec was 3 stars, and now after a month in the first team he's got a 4 star key player rating.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My squad has basically two teams - one for midweek, one for weekend. Midweek is for the better guys, for clowning Real Madrid in the CL; weekend is for the youngsters or developing players.
My weekend DR - whose status is Hot Prospect - has come to me twice by mid-November complaining about not playing enough. He's good, but he's not "Yeah, I'll put up with your bitching" good. Off with you, you little poo poo.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Cool, let me know how you get on. In the meantime I've had some additions- Alan Dzagoev and James Wilson on free transfers, CSKA and Man Utd don't seem to rate them that highly after 5 years, and Jordan Amavi from Dortmund for 6m. Amavi's a funny one, his transfer history in my game is whack, you might be able to get him for cheaper earlier. 15/16 Nice to Aston Villa for 8m, 16/17 to Juventus for 9.25m, 17/18 to Leverkusen for 2.8m, 18/19 to Dortmund for 9.25m, and then I bought him midseason 19/20 for 6m. Leverkusen got the best deal, but it seems like he just needs playing time- when I signed him he was scouted at 3.5 stars, but the coach rec was 3 stars, and now after a month in the first team he's got a 4 star key player rating.

I have many fond memories of Dzagoev doing mad work for me in past games on a bargain.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm thinking of getting into this. Should I pick up FM16 during the upcoming steam sale, try to find an older copy (had someone recommend FM12, but for the most part I can't find older versions anywhere but really shady key sites), or maybe just wait for FM17 to fix (or not) all those problems I see people griping about? :v:

[edit] Oh, its on sale, 66% off, right now on steam. I probably should've checked first! :downs:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 11, 2016

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this. Should I pick up FM16 during the upcoming steam sale, try to find an older copy (had someone recommend FM12, but for the most part I can't find older versions anywhere but really shady key sites), or maybe just wait for FM17 to fix (or not) all those problems I see people griping about? :v:

[edit] Oh, its on sale, 66% off, right now on steam. I probably should've checked first! :downs:

FM17 will have it's own shiny new problems. The February patch will fix most of them, then create some final problems for FM18 to beat. Think of game breaking errors as the raid bosses of Football Manager. Every few months the old one is defeated but a new, more powerful foe rises.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I am loving dismal at transfers, is it better to leave it to your director or is there something i'm missing? I'm playing as Southampton and nobody wants to play here despite being squad rotation in the Swedish league or something, or the value they want for their players is grossly exaggerated. :how:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Masonity posted:

FM17 will have it's own shiny new problems. The February patch will fix most of them, then create some final problems for FM18 to beat. Think of game breaking errors as the raid bosses of Football Manager. Every few months the old one is defeated but a new, more powerful foe rises.

More broken player conversations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I am loving dismal at transfers, is it better to leave it to your director or is there something i'm missing? I'm playing as Southampton and nobody wants to play here despite being squad rotation in the Swedish league or something, or the value they want for their players is grossly exaggerated. :how:

You shouldn't have a problem as Southampton. The inflated values might be if it's high potential young players they think they can get loads for but your scouts should give you an idea of an estimated cost. If they don't give you an estimated cost it's because they're not wanting to sell and will try to gouge you if you really want the player.

No idea why they're not interested in playing for you though, getting premiership playing should attract any player.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I'm playing FM15 after ages away. First season with Arsenal went really well, 2nd in Prem with 89 points, unbeaten at home all season, CL final etc.

Now the second season is here and it's all gone to poo poo. I'm 8th in the league after losing 4 home games all from winning positions. Do the AI managers just figure your tactics out after the first season or something? I'm worried that if I throw a whole new tactic in my players won't have a clue and it'll get worse.

For the record I play most home games 4-2-3-1 with a DLP and CM, then two IFs and an AP. either AF or CF up front. Any advice is welcome at this point, although I must say I forgot how angry this game can make me!

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

mark-p87 posted:

I'm playing FM15 after ages away. First season with Arsenal went really well, 2nd in Prem with 89 points, unbeaten at home all season, CL final etc.

Now the second season is here and it's all gone to poo poo. I'm 8th in the league after losing 4 home games all from winning positions. Do the AI managers just figure your tactics out after the first season or something? I'm worried that if I throw a whole new tactic in my players won't have a clue and it'll get worse.

For the record I play most home games 4-2-3-1 with a DLP and CM, then two IFs and an AP. either AF or CF up front. Any advice is welcome at this point, although I must say I forgot how angry this game can make me!

Yeah you need to switch tactics up a bit, it's a mixture of AI's figuring out your tactic, complacency setting in on the team and seeing your clubs position/rep improved so teams you face will tend to sit back much more stifling your play and generally playing on the counter. Usually you can get away with just switching up the roles somewhat and not having to drastically overhaul formation shapes. At least, that's what I've always heard about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The opposition can't "figure out" your tactic. At its most advanced the ai sometimes copies successful player formations over time.

All it does is shift to be more defensive and cautious as your reputation increases.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Interesting, thanks. What do people find works for them a) playing against teams that just sit back, and b) playing similarly-ranked teams away from home?

I find I very rarely use the Attacking mentality unless im chasing a game, out of fear it'll leave it too open. I tend to alternate between Control and Standard (is it called Standard? Whatever the one next to Control is anyway). I'm starting to think I'm making a mistake by not doing this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mark-p87 posted:

Interesting, thanks. What do people find works for them a) playing against teams that just sit back, and b) playing similarly-ranked teams away from home?

I find I very rarely use the Attacking mentality unless im chasing a game, out of fear it'll leave it too open. I tend to alternate between Control and Standard (is it called Standard? Whatever the one next to Control is anyway). I'm starting to think I'm making a mistake by not doing this.

I never use anything quicker than Standard (Control, Attacking, Overload). If anything I go slower (Counter, Defensive, Contain) if I'm behind because the opposition will usually sit back, put less pressure on the ball, and allow less space in behind for direct passes.

For offensive edge put more players further forward on the formation screen e.g. an extra striker or wingers moved up from the M line to the AM one. These players won't retreat as far to defend but increase passing options in the opposition half, which should make more chances no matter how negative/defensive your settings.

The big teams irl all play Defensive in FM terms. Patient possession play is important when the opposition sits in.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

How is the mobile version? Anybody tried it?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I play a 442 with a CM-D and BBM, and two DLF. It's great because depending on where the ball is, you've got an extra defender from the cm, and extra striker from the BBM, or two extra midfielders with the dlfs. Control mentality works fine, never had to change it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I go 4-4-2, with two W(A), a BWM(S) and an AP(A) and then striker roles that fit the players - usually AF(A)/CF(A) and a CF(S).
Play Attacking, with a Fairly Deep defensive line, looking for overlaps and playing out from the back.

I'm dominating in the league at the moment, so if nothing happens in the first 10 minutes, I max out Width. If nothing in the next 8, I set Closing Down to ALWAYS on the opposition defence (plus Keeper) and if still nothing after 8-9 minutes more, max out Closing Down. If it's all-square at half-time and the referee isn't a massive poo poo, I'll also go for 'Get Stuck In'. That combination usually makes something happen.

The main thing with this is to have a good AP and a fast AF/CF with good movement, so the AP can ping balls over the top for the quick guy to run onto.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
QFs of the Champions League and Barcelosa had a bit of a shocker

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My rear end man is... interesting to talk to, apparently.

I HAVE NO OPINION EITHER WAY!!!!!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Meet my First Team (as of today)
We're gonna need a bigger Inbox

Also: :fuckoff:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So the World Cup can, as reported, be moved.

In my game Fifa apparently decided that, to avoid the summer heat in Qatar, to play the World Cup 2022 in Morocco.

That's... better, I guess?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Sky Shadowing posted:

So the World Cup can, as reported, be moved.

In my game Fifa apparently decided that, to avoid the summer heat in Qatar, to play the World Cup 2022 in Morocco.

That's... better, I guess?

They moved it to Argentina in mine.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
:lol:

Rather than working on the game, they've programmed their lovely little liberal pet issues into it.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

jyrka posted:

:lol:

Rather than working on the game, they've programmed their lovely little liberal pet issues into it.

No, it's probably more due to the question of programming in all the calendar changes that would be needed for November-January world cup. I think it's been moved in all the games I've played and rescheduled to June-July.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a bit of a vacation before starting a new job and want to try getting back into FM after stumbling around Arsenal and almost getting them relegated in FM14. My managerial style was akin to a retard humping a doorknob. I have FM15 currently.

1. Whats some bullshit I need to watch out for? Crosses from RB/LBs i believe when I was reading the thread for instance

2. Should I start with a very good team a-la Arsenal/Man City/PSG/Barca or go from the bottom up? By bottom I mean a lovely team in Italy, or like League 1/Championship.

3. Is it generally more advisable to fit players into a tactic that I want to play, or figure out what my players do and keep a fluid tactic?

I think I'm going to try FM classic this time since the full FM experience is way to overwhelming.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Generally you'll get more success building a tactic that makes sense and throwing any old players into it, rather than choosing tactics based on what your players are specifically good at and creating an unbalanced mess of individuals.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

Generally you'll get more success building a tactic that makes sense and throwing any old players into it, rather than choosing tactics based on what your players are specifically good at and creating an unbalanced mess of individuals.

I generally go by this but don't be afraid of small changes. The players i have tend to control if I'm using wingers or inside forwards in my wide AM slots for instance. We rely on fullbacks for width anyway though so it's really a difference in how they attack the box and that's about it.

My favourite save so far this year is taking a middling premiership side (Swansea in my case) and trying to do a Leicester. Then build them into the best team in the world. It would have been easier if I was QPR or Palace probably as London vs Swansea and English vs Welsh regens. I'm probably too invested in this save to change now though. I have a spanish regen striker so good I almost want a Swansea shirt with his name on it... Not sure how I'd explain a Swansea shirt to my wife though...

How could I leave him?

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 21, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Masonity posted:

I generally go by this but don't be afraid of small changes. The players i have tend to control if I'm using wingers or inside forwards in my wide AM slots for instance. We rely on fullbacks for width anyway though so it's really a difference in how they attack the box and that's about it.

My favourite save so far this year is taking a middling premiership side (Swansea in my case) and trying to do a Leicester. Then build them into the best team in the world. It would have been easier if I was QPR or Palace probably as London vs Swansea and English vs Welsh regens. I'm probably too invested in this save to change now though. I have a spanish regen striker so good I almost want a Swansea shirt with his name on it... Not sure how I'd explain a Swansea shirt to my wife though...

How could I leave him?
13 technique and 13 long shots??? I'd rate him for my under 15's.

/s

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whats a nice simple, tard proof tactic for me? 4-4-2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
4-4-2 is a novelty tactic in real life. Very few teams play it.

In FM terms a 4-4-1-1 with one central midfielder given a Defend duty, or a 4-3-3 with a DM and wide strikers, are the basic modern frameworks.