Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trast posted:

I had so many of them too.

I remember having the shark and the elk and a vehicle. I probably had others but I don't remember them. My friend had like 20 more than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember having the shark and the elk and a vehicle. I probably had others but I don't remember them. My friend had like 20 more than I did.

Thanks to you I'll have "WATEERRR! WATTEERRR BEATS FIIIRE!" stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

What If #34 is all terrible, terrible jokes, but for some reason that one appealed to me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I've been reading some Gwenpool, and it's pretty funny. From The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1, Gwen takes a job to stop some alien arms dealers, but when she arrives on their ship, they're already dead. This is what happens when she finds the person responsible:

Turns out that guy was MODOK's right-hand man, and he's so impressed that she took him out that he hires her to take his place on his team. From Gwenpool #2:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, the four-eyes giving her the sideways glance might've won me over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

joehonkie posted:

The lengths Marvel will go to avoid giving Fox free advertising...

Yeah, that's why there's 0 4 6 8 (wait, seriously, 8?) books that are about X-Men or X-Men related characters

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

I want the page where he answers letters to just be all about Airplane! :allears: Asking if he likes gladiator films, and how my dad said he'd get really lazy. That'd be the best.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's why there's 0 4 6 8 (wait, seriously, 8?) books that are about X-Men or X-Men related characters

Seriously can we stop beating this demonstrably false meme into the ground?

Also I count 16 unique books about X-Men or X-Men-related characters in May. I might even be missing some that I simply don't know anything about :

Deadpool (double shipped)
Deadpool: Last Days of Magic
Old Man Logan
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Extraordinary X-Men
Deadpool: Mercs for Money
Uncanny Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
All New Wolverine
Deadpool Massacre
Gwenpool*
X-Men '92
A-Force
New Avengers
X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever

*This is probably sketchy, since she's a spinoff of an X-Men-related character, so feel free to count 15.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 14, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously can we stop beating this demonstrably false meme into the ground?

How do you define "X-Men or X-Men related characters"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

How do you define "X-Men or X-Men related characters"?
An X-Man or a character that started in an X-Man book and is closely related to those titles

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Deadpool movie did so well at this point it's Fox advertising for Marvel

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 14, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Gwenpool is pretty drat good, and I really like the twist the series has going for it.

For those who don't know, Gwenpool is from an alternate universe. Our universe. Battleworld shenanigans saw her accidentally dropped in Earth 616, or whichever one she's in, and since she as a major comic-book geek she basically knows everything about it. At one point, she manages to stop Lady Thor by hinting that she knows her secret identity. She also talks to herself a lot, because she's pretty sure that she's in a comic book and that her thoughts are being illustrated in word bubbles. :v: That's why she's Gwenpool, since her schtick is kind of like Deadpool ramped up to 11, despite the fact that she doesn't actually have any healing abilities or merc skills or anything like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Captain Bravo posted:

Gwenpool is pretty drat good, and I really like the twist the series has going for it.

For those who don't know, Gwenpool is from an alternate universe. Our universe. Battleworld shenanigans saw her accidentally dropped in Earth 616, or whichever one she's in, and since she as a major comic-book geek she basically knows everything about it. At one point, she manages to stop Lady Thor by hinting that she knows her secret identity. She also talks to herself a lot, because she's pretty sure that she's in a comic book and that her thoughts are being illustrated in word bubbles. :v: That's why she's Gwenpool, since her schtick is kind of like Deadpool ramped up to 11, despite the fact that she doesn't actually have any healing abilities or merc skills or anything like that.

The "Bye, Felicia!" joke when she stole something from Black Cat was probably the best joke in the comic though. :sigh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Naw, "It's probably just mumps" was the one that did it for me.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

My favorite thing about her is that the main reason she even became a costumed "hero" is because she knew the laws of the Marvel universe tend to protect those types over the nameless crowds who become canon fodder every time Doom or Thanos get bored.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

If this is a typo, it needs to become a real term ASAP.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

If this is a typo, it needs to become a real term ASAP.

It was a typo, but it seems even more fitting than what I originally intended.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I realize I was part of this derail, but it would good and cool if you posted these funny panels you're talking about in this, the Funny Panel thread, instead of just talking about them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sorry, I can't find those panels in particular. This is a pretty good one, though!

Gwenpool's costume designer is also the person who handles her missions. She just finished repairing Gwen's costume, and is informing her how much a particular client is paying for her next task:

Edit: Oh hey, I was able to find one of the panels I was talking about. Gwen has teamed up with Howard to raid a Hydra facility and steal a virus. They get cornered by Lady Hydra, and Gwen drinks a vial containing the virus:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm impressed she can write that legibly backwards on her own face.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
This actually happened in Howard The Duck #1, but still.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank goodness for all those pillows

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All this Gwenpool talk made me want to re-read so I started re-reading what I had. Then I realized it started as a mini in howard the duck so I read those first. Then I realized howard the duck crossed over with Squirrel girl so I had to re-read those too. The lesson here is, never start re-reading something.

Also, is it just me or is there some kind of parallel "weird" marvel going on with the Howard the Duck - Squirrel Girl - Gwenpool axis going on? It's like they're in their own inter-related universe but not part of the larger one.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Scaramouche posted:

All this Gwenpool talk made me want to re-read so I started re-reading what I had. Then I realized it started as a mini in howard the duck so I read those first. Then I realized howard the duck crossed over with Squirrel girl so I had to re-read those too. The lesson here is, never start re-reading something.

Also, is it just me or is there some kind of parallel "weird" marvel going on with the Howard the Duck - Squirrel Girl - Gwenpool axis going on? It's like they're in their own inter-related universe but not part of the larger one.

I'm nowhere near current, but I suspect it's a weirdness-magnet affect or something - Howard had some :gonk: going on in his earlier books that, IIRC, never was acknowledged in "normal" 616. Welp, poo poo, that was his MAX series - so much for that info.

Have a page from Civil War - Choosing Sides as penance:

Hmm, that would explain it as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scaramouche posted:

Not exactly. They're part of the same family. Similar books tend to stick together, becoming a corner of the larger Marvel universe. You could probably seperate the funny books, but books like New Avengers and All New Wolverine, will remind you that Squirrel Girl is the truth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

It's basically that there's a limit to how deliberately wacky you can get in mainstream books, whereas those three can jump into each other's books at full strength and keep going like they were in their own, so it's much easier to write their link-ups. Crossing to mainstream necessitates a tonal shift to some degree on at least one half's part.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 15, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

A really good example of this is the Gwenpool Christmas Special. It lumps all those dude/ettes together, along with Miss Marvel, Hawkeye(s), etc. They're kind of like a young, internet-savvy cross-section of marvel heroes. I wanna say Miles Morales and the new Nova are kind of part of that as well? It gets a bit blurry the more you try to pin it down...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vote Loki #1

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

It's basically that there's a limit to how deliberately wacky you can get in mainstream books, whereas those three can jump into each other's books at full strength and keep going like they were in their own, so it's much easier to write their link-ups. Crossing to mainstream necessitates a tonal shift to some degree on at least one half's part.

Yeah that's probably a good way to quantify the phenomenon. I obviously didn't think canonically those titles are zoned off in EARTH-WEIRD or anything, but they seem to inter-operate with each other in ways that other comics don't, even when that comic is "in-genre". For example even though Spider Man is super tight with the Avengers, it doesn't "feel" like they share a universe the same way, it's more like there's some avengers stories with spider man, and some spider man stories without the avengers. Again, this is all subjective, but Howard/SG/Gwenpool seem more like they all kind of exist simultaneously, and the stories we read are just the ones we've managed to witness out of countless other interactions. There's no real declaration of which is better, or if there's an objective truth to that "feeling", just a pointless observation I've made.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Scaramouche posted:

This is exactly how I went from "Oh, I'll finally get around to rereading Hellblazer in order this time" to basically now curating the entire Vertigo history and its related books. Presently I'm working through the Golden Age Kid Eternity books, and while he's no Stardust the Super Wizard, he's still pretty whackadoo, even for the 40s...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Street Fighter Unlimited #5 and 6.

For those who haven't played Street Fighter 3, Oro is basically the Yoda of Street Fighter lore. He's well over 100 years old and is possibly the most powerful character in the series (to the point that he fights one-handed to make it fair). Ryu is sent to go seek him out and train under him.

In the next issue, Oro decides to take Ryu to a different setting.

That poor man...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that... Trad Moore? I'm getting a real Luthor Strode vibe.

Also, hamburger gun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SynthOrange posted:

Vote Loki #1

Did Loki switch gender again?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki just switches shape a lot this issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Is that... Trad Moore? I'm getting a real Luthor Strode vibe.

Also, hamburger gun.
Yeah. Linework isn't as clean as usual, though. Probably the inker.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SynthOrange posted:

Loki is the progressive candidate, he'd be the first woman president, the first child president, the first horse president...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Show us the niffleheim birth certificate Loki

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SynthOrange posted:

Just like a real politician pandering to their audience, amirite!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is that the same Loki from Agents of Asgard that sort of side-stepped Secret Wars, or is it a new iteration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gavok posted:

That poor man...

Hey, surprise Laura Matsuda cameo.