Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope when I jam fistful after fistful of drugs down my gullet in order to become the perfect killing machine my interpretation of the world becomes appropriately hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I hope when I jam fistful after fistful of drugs down my gullet in order to become the perfect killing machine my interpretation of the world becomes appropriately hosed

Finally! Video games can simulate with perfect accuracy getting drunk to the point of vomiting all over!

El Grillo posted:

I'd assume they're using the wands and roomscale, but standing is bad for using conventional movement mechanics right? Will be interesting to see what they do, my money's on the touchpad being used as a movement control stick.

For what its worth, conventional movement mechanics work wonderfully while standing. I played through technolust, and ethan carter like that and it works really well if you turn your body instead of turning with the controller, and basically just use forward and backwards movement. I had zero discomfort at all and it was a great compromise I thought between sitting and getting a little woozy playing like a traditional FPS, and the limitations and awkwardness of teleporting everywhere. I actually think fallout 4 could be very playable like that, as far as movement goes, and I'd hate to teleport everywhere in a game thats all about wandering and exploring.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 13, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

I thought Creation was just the next iteration of Gamebryo? Still has plasticine faces etc.

Literally has nothing to do with the game engine! That has everything to do with their normal maps and the render they use. Which used to be a part of gamebryo, but isn't really. A game engine runs scripts, sends projects to the render and handles such operations as binding keys to actions, sorting data for saving and issues compression, which isn't handled directly by the engine itself.

Gamebryo was a package that offered a lot of these things for free in a package deal, but the engine itself wasn't bad, it is in fact pretty impressive, but the developers at bethesda of course learned how to script their stuff from what they alread knew, so on the surface an entirely new engine is just going to move the same parts, just a bit differently.

Things like walking diagonally wasn't easy for gamebryo to handle because of the way it interpreted keypresses, and it was only kind of added in Skyrim by re-writing the entire movement code.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

If this turns out good, I might actually play and enjoy a Fallout game. I think VATS will work well in VR, ensuring you don't need to be super quick about combat. I played Alien in VR and most complaints could be linked to the tight environment, so having a more open game with pausing combat would be huge comfort improvements.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Reminds me, I know the cables on the Vive come out top and trail behind you, but is there anything there for making sure you don't get wrapped up in it as you spin 'round, or is that just kind of an inevitability?

I wrote myself a little utility that counts the number of times I rotate and gives me commands to untangle myself via text-to-speech. After I've fully rotated 3 times from my starting position clockwise, say, it would tell me "Turn counterclockwise three times". That prevents the cable from developing loops at least.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mordaedil posted:

Literally has nothing to do with the game engine! That has everything to do with their normal maps and the render they use. Which used to be a part of gamebryo, but isn't really. A game engine runs scripts, sends projects to the render and handles such operations as binding keys to actions, sorting data for saving and issues compression, which isn't handled directly by the engine itself.

Gamebryo was a package that offered a lot of these things for free in a package deal, but the engine itself wasn't bad, it is in fact pretty impressive, but the developers at bethesda of course learned how to script their stuff from what they alread knew, so on the surface an entirely new engine is just going to move the same parts, just a bit differently.

Things like walking diagonally wasn't easy for gamebryo to handle because of the way it interpreted keypresses, and it was only kind of added in Skyrim by re-writing the entire movement code.

Every game that comes out we hear the same thing. "Not Gamebryo" is a completely irrelevant comment when there is so much still left over under the hood. They've been saying it every game after Morrowind.
If you've modded these games you see how similar they still are. Will I need to download a script extender? Check! Load mods the same way? Check! Physics tied to framerate? Check! All the same old console commands work? Check!
Sure they've made enough changes to rendering and other systems that technically "Not Gamebryo" is true, but c'mon.

It's a lot like the relationship between Quake 3 and Call of Duty. Sure a ton has changed over the years but there is enough shared DNA that you can instantly tell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but none of that is Gamebryo. That's just Bethesda. The same console commands that work in Oblivion doesn't work in loving Civilization IV. They are both Gamebryo games. The engine isn't related. I don't want to be held responsible for people misattributing the wrong terminology to Bethesda's lovely coding.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mordaedil posted:

Yes, but none of that is Gamebryo. That's just Bethesda. The same console commands that work in Oblivion doesn't work in loving Civilization IV. They are both Gamebryo games. The engine isn't related. I don't want to be held responsible for people misattributing the wrong terminology to Bethesda's lovely coding.

No, it's a modded Gamebryo. There's still strings containing Gamebryo in the Skyrim EXEs. Think of it like Half-Life - GoldSrc is still based on Quake, just with some tweaked/rewritten subsystems. There are still certain limitations and oddities baked in too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They seem to have been using the same sort of framework even back as far as Terminator Future Shock and Daggerfall. It's interesting going back to Future Shock and finding gameplay and engine similarities to Fallout 4. Indoor/outdoor transitions in particular, but even the movement physics feel kinda lovely in the same way.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a write up of the FO4 demo http://uploadvr.com/fallout-4-htc-vive-hands-on-preview/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Totally get your argument Mordaedil about Bethesda being poo poo, not necessarily just the engine. It does seem to be a combination (though perhaps more weighted towards Tod Howard being responsible, I hate that guy for some reason). The whole ladders thing, having to rewrite some of the code base to get diagonal movement as you mentioned, and when I said plasticine faces I was really referring to the general horribleness of the entire animations system, which also impacts the feel of the gameplay (as per SwissCM). I guess that last may or may not have anything to do with the engine itself, they may be entirely responsible for writing it from scratch for Morrowind and never bothering to redo it.
Anyway sorry for the derail. I don't know why I get so annoyed at this one company (well and Frontier and CiG oh god I have a problem). It's going to be cool to mess around in there, though I'm confused as to why we haven't heard anything yet, it did sound like the demos were happening right after the presentation. e: ^^^nice timing

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Sounds like they've fixed the easy problem of framerate, but have made exactly zero progress on the hard problem of how to make a good FPS in VR.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In non-Bethesda news, OSVR announced their version 2.0 headset: https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/13/osvr-hacker-development-kit-2/

Basically they upgraded the display to modern VR spec, 2160x1200 OLED @ 90Hz, and bumped the price up $100 to $399. I definitely want to try one of these things, on paper it's a less-polished Rift at 2/3 the price, it'll be interesting to see how close it actually is in real life.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder if exaggerated arm swinging like you're running could be used as a locomotion method. Wouldn't work well for running and gunning though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sliderule posted:

I wrote myself a little utility that counts the number of times I rotate and gives me commands to untangle myself via text-to-speech. After I've fully rotated 3 times from my starting position clockwise, say, it would tell me "Turn counterclockwise three times". That prevents the cable from developing loops at least.

Sharing is caring m'dude.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im going to be very disappointed if you can only do VR with the motion controls, I want VR & m + kb

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Sharing is caring m'dude.

One it's finished, sure. I'd like to have a nice clean notification pop-up and a configuration window before I release -- mainly because I don't want to deal with support / feature requests.

Right now I'm too busy actually playing to code.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eonwe posted:

im going to be very disappointed if you can only do VR with the motion controls, I want VR & m + kb

You can do that right now if you really want to though?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

You can do that right now if you really want to though?

Yeah with VorpX, I just mean I hope that with their implementation of VR they'll allow for controls outside of whatever teleport system they seem to have in place

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like they would have to make an entirely new game in order to add VR in to Fallout. Like the guy mentions in the article. Teleporting completely nullifies the need for a sneak skill. You could sneak across a hallway hoping the raider doesn't see you, or just teleport across the hallway. Unless they make the teleport be really loud and have lots of flashing light to make it very obvious that someone is teleporting around. They are going to have to rework a lot of the game to prevent cheesing everything with VR.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Finally got my Vive this weekend - I gotta say it exceeded my expectations. Today my quads are hurting like mad, and I'm pretty sore elsewhere, which I did not expect.

The one thing that gelled in my mind after playing with it for a few hours, is that for a VR game to really work, it has to be made with that in mind from beginning to end. You can't just slap it onto an existing game and say "VR Support." At least, not at this early stage. After playing Space Pirate Trainer and Vanishing Realms, made for VR from the ground up, I played a bit of Fallout 4 on the PC, and at no point did I feel like I was having an inferior experience. Different game types, different mediums. All fun.

Now that I see they're making a VR version of Fallout 4, I hope Bethesda avoids the trap of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It'll be interesting to watch the industry growing pains as they try to figure out what to do with this tech. It reminds me of early PC gaming, before the advent of established genres - a time where developers tried anything and everything to see what worked, and what didn't. For Fallout, as a previous poster mentioned, using teleportation for movement is just one of many logistical hurdles they need to get over. VR isn't the best environment for managing an inventory with thousands of items, for example. On the other hand, ducking behind a car and firing blind sounds awesome.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they would have to make an entirely new game in order to add VR in to Fallout. Like the guy mentions in the article. Teleporting completely nullifies the need for a sneak skill. You could sneak across a hallway hoping the raider doesn't see you, or just teleport across the hallway. Unless they make the teleport be really loud and have lots of flashing light to make it very obvious that someone is teleporting around. They are going to have to rework a lot of the game to prevent cheesing everything with VR.

Fallout 4 already did away with any pretense to be anything but a shooter already.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am excited for a lot of this stuff.

If The Doom/FO4 VR games end up being them with Controller Tracking for hands/gun aiming, that will be perfect, especially if they keep the locomotion mapable, that will make the games immensely better in the Virtuix Omni and the current VorpX hack way to get the game to work currently with a gamepad and using face aiming. I guess we will see.

Also that Star Trek VR Bridge game looks like it will be a ton of fun. Hopefully the Scripted missions along with the random generated stuff is well done and a lot of fun too.

AAA companies are giving VR a shot, so hopefully things get really exciting soon.

Looks like the Vive is getting a lot of traction though so hopefully Oculus can step up not only their shipping, but get the drat Touch out, and give up on their exclusive store and just plug in with Valve with a Vive Dashboard style of detecting what games you have installed, list their "Comfort Rating" if need be, and otherwise just make things easy to support if there is support to be had. Anyway, staying away from that argument anymore than that. E3 is shaping up to be some good stuff so far.

Also hopefully more XBox One/360 games being playable on Windows 10 too. That would be neato.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sliderule posted:

One it's finished, sure. I'd like to have a nice clean notification pop-up and a configuration window before I release -- mainly because I don't want to deal with support / feature requests.

Right now I'm too busy actually playing to code.

How are you hooking into the Vive/Rift to get the tracking info? I really need to make a VR Dev thread.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Has Oculus already had their press conference? I assume that's when they would release more info about Touch. If E3 comes and goes without any, I'm probably going to give up on the Rift, at least for gen 1.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has Oculus already had their press conference? I assume that's when they would release more info about Touch. If E3 comes and goes without any, I'm probably going to give up on the Rift, at least for gen 1.

They have to have something, as that Star Trek VR game has Touch written all over it. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phuzun posted:

If this turns out good, I might actually play and enjoy a Fallout game. I think VATS will work well in VR, ensuring you don't need to be super quick about combat. I played Alien in VR and most complaints could be linked to the tight environment, so having a more open game with pausing combat would be huge comfort improvements.

Why'd you use VATS when you can just point and shoot. VATS is taking the fun out of shooting.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Oculus and Twisted Pixel just announced a game on the YouTube E3 stream. It's called (I believe) Wilson's Heart and is a black-and-white throwback to old pulpy monster movies, starring Peter Weller, Rosario Dawson, and Alfred Molina. It all looked very pre-rendered, especially because they include fully modeled hands with arms, which I thought was a pretty big challenge, IK-wise.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

How are you hooking into the Vive/Rift to get the tracking info? I really need to make a VR Dev thread.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/API-Documentation

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You mean to tell me a developer read the documentation for something? I refuse to believe it. Good thing I'm a lovely developer.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why'd you use VATS when you can just point and shoot. VATS is taking the fun out of shooting.

I would imagine VR Vats would just be the "time slowdown and freeze" events, perhaps with some added auto-aim component.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Their documentation wiki is really bad though; you're better off just looking at the api header:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/blob/master/headers/openvr.h

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am excited for a lot of this stuff.

If The Doom/FO4 VR games end up being them with Controller Tracking for hands/gun aiming, that will be perfect, especially if they keep the locomotion mapable, that will make the games immensely better in the Virtuix Omni and the current VorpX hack way to get the game to work currently with a gamepad and using face aiming. I guess we will see.

How affordable is the Omni going to get to be? I can't imagine it being cheap having a big threadmill in the middle of my living room being extremely cheap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Couple questions about the Vive lighthouses

- Can they be mounted well outside of your play area and still work? I'm still planning but it looks like one lighthouse is going to be about six feet off to one side of where I'll be able to safely walk
- Do they have to be in corners, or even opposite each other, to work?
- How high do they have to be? Ideally head height is ok, my fireplace mantle and kitchen counter are just above and just below head height, respectively, so I wouldn't have to mount them to walls
- Failing that, are they light enough to be mounted with velcro or double sided tape, or those 3M picture hanging strip thingies?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There have been a few instances where the command strips have failed due to the vibrations of the motors.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone want to meet me in altspace and reenact the last scene of reservoir dogs for ppl

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's really looking like 2017 is gonna have tons of cool VR poo poo.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Hmmm. No Oculus presentations at the PC Gaming Show. Does that mean we're unlikely to get any real announcements? Any other period of E3 that they could make announcements?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

How affordable is the Omni going to get to be? I can't imagine it being cheap having a big threadmill in the middle of my living room being extremely cheap.

It looks to be around the $699 area but we will see once the final product is done and production ramps up.

I got in on the Kickstarter so I saved a few Hundred while getting a few extras as well. Still, once you do use it in First Person games in VR, it really does click and is the only solution I can see working for the foreseeable future that is also scalable with more hand/motion tracking stuff coming along.

Also while Oculus hasn't presented directly yet it, it seems they have announced bits here and there through others. Almost everything has Touch Support so if Oculus doesn't announce the Touch Launch then well, guess we will just have to expect it to be sometime just before all this 2017 VR games launch date then.

Kazy, how are you liking them so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/over-30-full-games-launching-with-oculus-touch-this-year/

"This is just the beginning—there are hundreds of additional Touch titles in development, and we’ll share the full Touch lineup and launch details later this fall."

Ugh. This might be as good as we get.