Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Cerebral Bore posted:

Wind is viable in the parts of Finland that matter.

Pohjanlahti? Finland has quite low average windspeed and not much geographical features that would make good spots for turbines.
Also if you search about finnish wind power on google, you might find article about some finnish company bragging about their novel ocean turbine tech, which is code for "nobody else builds these things on frozen sea". So we can't even buy proven tech from others.

And even if the problems with the actual turbines and solar panels could be solved trivially, the problem of their nonconsistant power generation remains. Because of how terrible our energy storage methods are, turbines spinning when there's no demand are almost worthless.

Burning coal is loving awful and currently best hope for nuclear power is giving Putin control of our power network but they actually produce the power we require, something that wind and solar currently cannot do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Puistokemisti posted:

Pohjanlahti? Finland has quite low average windspeed and not much geographical features that would make good spots for turbines.
Also if you search about finnish wind power on google, you might find article about some finnish company bragging about their novel ocean turbine tech, which is code for "nobody else builds these things on frozen sea". So we can't even buy proven tech from others.

And even if the problems with the actual turbines and solar panels could be solved trivially, the problem of their nonconsistant power generation remains. Because of how terrible our energy storage methods are, turbines spinning when there's no demand are almost worthless.

Burning coal is loving awful and currently best hope for nuclear power is giving Putin control of our power network but they actually produce the power we require, something that wind and solar currently cannot do.

Solar and wind by themselves are not worth much, but when they are used together with hydro you can get clean energy continually.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Our hydro is completely tapped out except some theoretical wave power in Itämeri and that's even less realistic than wind and solar.
And you still have the problem of power generation not matching power demand times.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Energy policy is a complex issue best left for experts so unless you provide some relevant engineering credentials I don't think I should give your viewpoints very much weight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

Energy policy is a complex issue best left for experts so unless you provide some relevant engineering credentials I don't think I should give your viewpoints very much weight

Engineers aren't experts in any kind of policy, hope this helps.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The job of engineers is to implement decisions made by better women, and then cry about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Welp, according to Yle, Ligur's buddies are now planning to just attack anyone on the street that's small enough to not scare them.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Welp, according to Yle, Ligur's buddies are now planning to just attack anyone on the street that's small enough to not scare them.
Their spelling is also atrocious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Their spelling is also atrocious.

I am shocked :monocle:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is there some ongoing competition between right and left wing ligurs over who does dumber sabotage attacks?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hahaha, if the Odin ligurs actually attack anyone I'll be more surprised than I would be if they could spell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Is there some ongoing competition between right and left wing ligurs over who does dumber sabotage attacks?

Well the left wing ligurs lost on account of not existing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well the left wing ligurs lost on account of not existing.

Anti-public transport left wing ligurs certainly do exist!

Okay, it could have been right wing animal rights ligurs. Other than that, there's the dudes who broke Stubb's windows. Or those could have been idiot wing ligurs.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Puistokemisti posted:

Our hydro is completely tapped out except some theoretical wave power in Itämeri and that's even less realistic than wind and solar.
And you still have the problem of power generation not matching power demand times.

When I mentioned hydro, I was talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity

Imo it would be a manageable long term goal for Finland to replace fossil fuels in electricity generation with renewables.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Offshore wind would be nice.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

When I mentioned hydro, I was talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity

Imo it would be a manageable long term goal for Finland to replace fossil fuels in electricity generation with renewables.

Where do you want to build the pumped storage? Norway?
The mean electric power usage in Finland apparently varies between 5 GW (summer) and 14 GW (winter).
The current peak hydro generating capacity in Finland is around 3 GW. You'd have to quintuple it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Herman Merman posted:

Where do you want to build the pumped storage? Norway?
The mean electric power usage in Finland apparently varies between 5 GW (summer) and 14 GW (winter).
The current peak hydro generating capacity in Finland is around 3 GW. You'd have to quintuple it.

I didn't say that Finland should give up nuclear, just that Finland shoul replace fossil fuels in electricity generation with renewables.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 11, 2016

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ligur posted:

Hahaha, if the Odin ligurs actually attack anyone I'll be more surprised than I would be if they could spell.
Hell, same. I don't for one second question the fact that they're really pissed and would like to take it out on some lefties and wrong-colored folks, but after their discussion was publicized I suspect those plans are about to change. Probably going into full political purge mode to find out who the rat leaking things to Yle is.

The funniest bit about this saga is the Finns' peanut gallery leaping to their defense saying "We can't limit their rights to freedom of movement before they have actually committed some crimes" when the very same people have said that we should limit asylum seekers' freedom of movement because they're likely to cause crimes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I had a pretty negative view of the Odins to begin with but they have managed to reach amazing depths, like, in effectiveness, as an organization. Can't keep their private conversations private, can't stop having their "leader" assault people while drunk, etc. What a bunch of losers.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You guys seem to really think far too much of the Odins, like Yle. Sure they are stupid and uhoaa netissä, mutta ihan oikeesti nyt.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

What a bunch of losers.

This kind of sentiment, especially coming from the well-off, is a large reason why we have angry syrjäytyneet like the odins

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

I didn't say that Finland should give up nuclear, just that Finland shoul replace fossil fuels in electricity generation with renewables.

That pie chart is a bit optimistic since it doesn't include 20 TWh of imported electricity.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Syrjäytynyt is one thing, a nazi plotting violence is another. You are right though, more money should be put into sosiaalitoimi and other welfare benefits to help potential odins live happy lives.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

doverhog posted:

Syrjäytynyt is one thing, a nazi plotting violence is another. You are right though, more money should be put into sosiaalitoimi and other welfare benefits to help potential odins live happy lives.

I'm sorry to crush your dreams but those dorks are just blowing steam and being internet tough guys to each other, that they would "plot" any actual real life organized violence and execute is as likely as them learning beautiful grammar.

That stuff on Yle was all "ööörgh, anarchists should be beatened!!"

Drunken nakkikiska fights are another thing.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

jahas, galaktinen liskovampyyri on nyt sit virallisesti uhrattu kokkelien alttarilla ja mikään tuskin tulee muuttumaan

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

HerraS posted:

jahas, galaktinen liskovampyyri on nyt sit virallisesti uhrattu kokkelien alttarilla ja mikään tuskin tulee muuttumaan

Meanwhile, at another party's meeting (quote from Yle):

quote:

Perussuomalaiset eivät ole pettäneet vaalilupauksiaan, Soini sanoo. Hänen mukaansa puolue ei kuitenkaan ole saanut kaikkia vaalilupauksiaan toteutettua.

"We haven't actually broken any promises! We've just been unable to keep them!"

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Soini is so demented he forgot what their promises were. Now he just spews gibberish on his ploki.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ratpick posted:

"We haven't actually broken any promises! We've just been unable to keep them!"

This is only the fault of voters, in two ways. #1 because they have actually elected anyone who has promised anything, putting those politicians against an insurmountable task because #2 they don't bother to elect enough members of the same party, forcing them to make strange bed fellows to gain majority. The only solution to this is to declare yourself a dictator, Hitler broke no promises.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

This is only the fault of voters, in two ways. #1 because they have actually elected anyone who has promised anything, putting those politicians against an insurmountable task because #2 they don't bother to elect enough members of the same party, forcing them to make strange bed fellows to gain majority. The only solution to this is to declare yourself a dictator, Hitler broke no promises.

You don't have to hard sell me, I'm ready for Väyrynen already.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Herman Merman posted:

That pie chart is a bit optimistic since it doesn't include 20 TWh of imported electricity.

If the puliukko-built plant ever gets finished it would replace most of the imports.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 11, 2016

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

You don't have to hard sell me, I'm hard for Väyrynen already.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Miksi vitussa puolet YLEn selostajista ja studioisännistä on jotain puhevikaisia kimittäjiä? Jos on telkkarissa tai radiossa säännöllisesti, pitäisi pystyä puhumaan miellyttävällä äänellä. Tää on ku Life of Brianin vanginvapautuskohtauksesta kun väkijoukko huutelee nimiä.

Ymmärrän et Kaj Kunnas on lomalla huonon tuurin myötä, mutta onko nää oikeasti parhaat korvaajat mitä löyty? Miksei ikinä ole naisselostajia? Kyllä siitäkin sukupuolesta löytyy paaaljon urheiluhulluja, ja niistä osa varmasti osaa selostaa.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Akat hilijaa

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
onhan taitoluistelussa ym. voimistelussa naisselostajia

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nauta posted:

onhan taitoluistelussa ym. voimistelussa naisselostajia

And Wipeout.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kun seuraa urheilua vain radiosta ja mute-nappi päällä niin tuotakaan ongelmaa ei ole.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Kun seuraa urheilua vain radiosta ja mute-nappi päällä niin tuotakaan ongelmaa ei ole.

Niin niin sitä vaan nappia otetaan ja radiota kuunnellaan kaiket päivät kabbanis-humalassa.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Jätkät ei pidä edes mun selostuksesta.

Mitään en voi koskaan tehdä oikein häh?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hochkultur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ligur posted:

I'm sorry to crush your dreams but those dorks are just blowing steam and being internet tough guys to each other, that they would "plot" any actual real life organized violence and execute is as likely as them learning beautiful grammar.

That stuff on Yle was all "ööörgh, anarchists should be beatened!!"

Drunken nakkikiska fights are another thing.

That's not really the big deal, the thing is that several politically elected members of one partically retarded party STILL think it's all cool and good to be an fascist internet tough guy threatening violence

I think we all know what party

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 13, 2016