Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
[Withdrawn just in case I shouldn't have shared that]

Abbreviated version: one of the people who used to be involved in the Quake scene during the days of Blue's News and shugashack confirmed they're working on this. That alone doesn't guarantee you'll like it, but at least know somebody building this game has liked Quake for a long long time.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

[Withdrawn just in case I shouldn't have shared that]

Abbreviated version: one of the people who used to be involved in the Quake scene during the days of Blue's News and shugashack confirmed they're working on this. That alone doesn't guarantee you'll like it, but at least know somebody building this game has liked Quake for a long long time.

oh man, those names are a blast from the past.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I won't be all gloom and.....Doom :haw:

Can't wait to see the Imp Zone come out to play with this news.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

FFA and deathmatch without loadouts are coming

Any team stuff?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so how the hell do you get the sticky rockets challenge done? It's seriously finnicky.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Quake with classes, eh?

Oh yeah, I guess there was also Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

I'll be the one person that says he enjoyed it and wishes servers were still online.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh gently caress me

To be fair, apparently Saber Interactive had nothing to do with the multiplayer content of the Halo collection. The single-player portions of the remakes were entirely fine.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

double nine posted:

so how the hell do you get the sticky rockets challenge done? It's seriously finnicky.

The remote detonate one? Its buggy, and if you blow up an explosive barrel with your rocket detonation it won't count toward your rocket challenge. I only did it by shooting at packs of the harmless zombies when i was going back through looking for secrets and weapon upgrades

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

exethan posted:

The remote detonate one? Its buggy, and if you blow up an explosive barrel with your rocket detonation it won't count toward your rocket challenge. I only did it by shooting at packs of the harmless zombies when i was going back through looking for secrets and weapon upgrades

no, the machine gun one - shoot 4 demons with micro missiles in 5 seconds. I just can't get it to work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

double nine posted:

no, the machine gun one - shoot 4 demons with micro missiles in 5 seconds. I just can't get it to work.

I take it you're sweeping it across demons while firing? Maybe try sticking them one at a time? I got it pretty much instantly, I'm wondering what's different.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

It has to be 4 different demons in 5 seconds. Probably the easiest weapon bonus to unlock really, just find a pack of those fodder zombies and carefully fire a single missile into each one relatively quickly and it should unlock.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IDK, maybe there's something wrong with my mouse but it's really not going smoothly. Guess I'll try opening it up and cleaning it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

A.o.D. posted:

my dream of a DooM expansion is Thy Flesh Consumed 2017, complete with semi-unfair difficulty.

There's plenty of badass Bible quotes to name the levels after too.

The Second Death
Became As Blood
Thorns And Snares (aka Tricks And Traps II)
Congregation of the Dead
And Hell Followed

I'll take my check any time, id.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

double nine posted:

whoops, my bad. the other guy posted some good advice, I just reload at checkpoint if there's an obvious group of enemies to get an easy challenge

e: and hell followed is E4M7 and it was sick as hell

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

exethan posted:

e: and hell followed is E4M7 and it was sick as hell

Ah well it's been a while since I Consumed Thy Flesh. I should play through it again.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Use Rich Get Richer and go ham with those mini-rockets.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

Use Rich Get Richer and go ham with those mini-rockets.

Got the challenge before getting that upgrade but that drat skill makes the game so fun in high difficulty levels. You can go wild on micromissiles and if you get haste you are basically one of the robots from Macross/Robotech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI Linked because it's a compilation of anime missile spam (Itano Circus).

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm not sure I like Rich Get Richer as a perk. It sort of disincentivises the aggressive play style every other mechanic in the game encourages. Like, you can rush in head long and rip and tear (and have a ton of fun), or you can just keep every monster at long range with Mobile Turret, Siege Cannon with unlimited ammo and a much lower chance of death. Sure, it's optimal play, but it's not fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Good thing is that you can change it on the fly. Sometimes I feel like playing as a mobile missile turret then sometimes I switch perks to be meleeing stuff. I think it's one of the few single player games that I like to jump between missions just for fun.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wamdoodle posted:

Cross post from the Early FPS thread:

And I know it's Wikipedia and all but:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Interactive

Hey they did Timeshift at least? Silver linings and all that...

oh no

maybe saber are for the outsourced singleplayer :pray:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
All SnapMap updates to Doom will be free, that's pretty cool.

Bloodmobile posted:

To be fair, apparently Saber Interactive had nothing to do with the multiplayer content of the Halo collection. The single-player portions of the remakes were entirely fine.

The glue that held them together was hosed and they'd regularly throw you into the wrong game or delete your saves, actually. It was a shitshow for months.

Probably more 343i's fault for not overseeing it though, they had like 4 devs doing different game ports and then just slapped the whole thing together last minute.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Adding the weapon wheel to SnapMap will totally transform it... so long as we get the key binding availability to match.

Can't wait for that update.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes, I want that over anything else. There are good maps in snapmap but feels stupid to limit yourself to only two.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Leave it to Bethesda to announce a discount for the game and make it $40 from amazon and gamestop but only apply it to physical copies even on PC, download codes are still $60. what a bunch of fucks.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Quake. I want to believe.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Al-Saqr posted:

Leave it to Bethesda to announce a discount for the game and make it $40 from amazon and gamestop but only apply it to physical copies even on PC, download codes are still $60. what a bunch of fucks.
Geez, it's already marked down to $40? It really must not have hit their sales targets.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Linguica posted:

Geez, it's already marked down to $40? It really must not have hit their sales targets.

I'm an idiot who has to have physical copies. When I was buying my copy of Doom there were seriously two other people in line trading it in talking about how much it sucks compared to Doom3. I bought it anyway and those people are wrong about games but I bet a lot of people thought it needed more call of dutyish features.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Also the "physical copy" of D44M for PC is literally just a Steam key in a box.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Linguica posted:

Also the "physical copy" of D44M for PC is literally just a Steam key in a box.

And the box-art (including reversed), and the first 10GB of the Steam depot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it possible to have multiple weapons on the same number key? I really want both shotguns to be tied to the 2 key and the plasma rifle/gauss rifle both tied to the 3 key etc. This way I can have weapons more easily within reach of the wasd keys.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I just bind 5,6,7,8 to z,x,c,v

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

double nine posted:

Is it possible to have multiple weapons on the same number key? I really want both shotguns to be tied to the 2 key and the plasma rifle/gauss rifle both tied to the 3 key etc. This way I can have weapons more easily within reach of the wasd keys.

Not that I know of which is really stupid.

You could maybe do it using .cfg file shenanigans, effectively script each key to switch the key bindings when you push it. At least, you could do stuff like that in older Id games, dunno about Id Tech 6, but it does still have a console so probably?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

double nine posted:

You could probably script this with autohotkey.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I just bind 5,6,7,8 to z,x,c,v

I bound the rocket launcher on MWHEELUP, gauss cannon on MWHEELDOWN, super shotgun on Q so I can do fast weapon combos. The rest are simple: Pistol(1), Shotgun(2), HMG(3), Plasma(4), BFG(Z), Chaingun(X), Chainsaw(C) and grenades on Mouse4(thumb).

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's plenty of badass Bible quotes to name the levels after too.

The Second Death
Became As Blood
Thorns And Snares (aka Tricks And Traps II)
Congregation of the Dead
And Hell Followed

I'll take my check any time, id.

DOOM and hell followed is a pretty badass title

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

double nine posted:

The old-school solution to this is to move to esdf so you can use qwazx for weapons too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

The old-school solution to this is to move to esdf so you can use qwazx for weapons too.

holy poo poo I did that for Deus Ex and Jedi Outcast. gently caress scripting, hello nostalgia.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Twerk from Home posted:

In Doom/Quake/Unreal games, and almost no other FPSs, I somehow got in the habit of using shift/ctrl for forward/back with my two weaker fingers, and A/S for strafing with middle and index. Odd, but a comfy hand position (with keyboard rotated a bit) and leaves lots of keys open for binds I can hit with index or middle finger.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My good setup:

1 = shotgun
2 = plasma (stun only amirite)
3 = super shotgun
4 = machine gun for mini rockets
5 = rocket launcher

z = BFG
x = chaingun (never used in my game really)
c = crouched (used what, 4 times in the entire game?)
v = siege cannon
b = pistol (used basically never)

I had 1/shotgun out all of the time because the grenade launcher feature is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I use WASD, but I will never understand why that became the default. With your fingers on the home row, ESDF immediately stands out as the natural movement keys.