Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Arya killed someone in the dark and cut her head off. Like isn't she suppose to be 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hollismason posted:

Arya killed someone in the dark and cut her head off. Like isn't she suppose to be 14.

14 is pretty old in Westeros years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I enjoyed the Hound killing those four guys with an axe. That was fun.

"You're poo poo at dying, you know that?"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The hanging had the better line.

"We're all getting older."

"He isn't..."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PT6A posted:

I enjoyed the Hound killing those four guys with an axe. That was fun.

"You're poo poo at dying, you know that?"

That reads like a line taken straight out of a lovely Steven Segal B-movie ca. 1980. Nice homage, someone in the writing room is a huge fan.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
After Cersei got told off by Kevin (I know it's Kevan but this dude being named Kevin is funnier to me) she kind of sad walked over to the side and behind her stood Zombie Mountain. If you watch the scene, it's really hilarious, because normally he's this stoic dude anyway, but even more so after he's been zombified. Literally he walks place to place and just smashes something robotically and then is done.

Anyway, go watch the scene, because he's standing behind Cersei and kind of off to the side, and he has his hands clasped in front of him and it's like he forgot he was in the scene, and he's just swaying side to side. I don't know, it made me laugh pretty hard.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Once again the thread is split between people who Don't Watch the Show and people with Stockholm Syndrome who believe D&D can do no wrong. The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Arya's plot in Braavos is obviously not entirely pointless, unless you consider her time with the Hound pointless, or her training with Syrio. Her entire character arc (which, spoilers: isn't over yet, so trying to figure out where it's going is setting yourself up to be embarrassed by D&D) has been picking up training from the most prominent figures in the world. Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos, Greatest Swordsman in the World, chicken loving fan darling the Hound, who's managed to survive by himself all this time against all odds, who can go toe to toe with the loving Mountain, and technically the leader of a master assassin guild. Wherever Arya's going, it makes perfect sense for her to be a master fighter now. Even more so with the mutant healing factor she seems to have acquired.

That being said, nobody on this planet can look me in the face and say that at least this last episode wasn't filler. I let out an involuntary chuckle/scoff when she ended up in literally the exact same position (bleeding out and desperately trying to avoid the Waif) as last episode ended, and just did things differently for no reason. And it's obvious since she drank heroin water and slept with her guard down that no, she did not plan to escape to the actresses quarters and lure the Waif. Jesus, people. A bit of poo poo writing but luckily we don't have much of that this season.

Jaime is another matter. I don't understand how him maintaining his primary motivation throughout the entire series, even as characters like Brienne and Tyrion force him to show his true colors as a quite honorable and noble man, makes his character arc "pointless". If you've been watching for six seasons and you're expecting him to get over Cersei and shack up with Brienne, you're kind of an idiot, sorry. If he does, it'll be in some lovely epilogue at best. This is a man who was introduced to us as Kingslayer, Oathbreaker, a title that to this day follows him everywhere. Even Edmund, a captive with everything to lose, grows a pair and brings Jaime down a peg for just a moment by stabbing him with that word. Jaime is constantly at odds with his obligation to his family and how it often conflicts with his desires to do the right thing. This is a man whose father (who he respected and loved) and sister (who he's obsessed with) both despised from birth, his poor deformed brother. Jaime never for a second hesitated to love and honor him, going so far as to disrespect his entire bloodline and once again betray his oaths by murdering guards and helping his brother escape. For fucks sake, he is a Good Man, people. He's in love with the wrong woman. I'm literally baffled that people could watch this episode, where he bloodlessly takes Riverrun and it's entire situation out of the hands of the incompetent Frey and the suicidally stubborn Blackfish and gives everyone (yes, everyone) what they wanted, and people think he's the bad guy? Did you really fall for his bad cop routine with Edmure? He loving waved goodbye to Brienne and looked filled with somber regret upon hearing that Blackfish died. loving hell, thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IMB posted:

After Cersei got told off by Kevin (I know it's Kevan but this dude being named Kevin is funnier to me) she kind of sad walked over to the side and behind her stood Zombie Mountain. If you watch the scene, it's really hilarious, because normally he's this stoic dude anyway, but even more so after he's been zombified. Literally he walks place to place and just smashes something robotically and then is done.

Anyway, go watch the scene, because he's standing behind Cersei and kind of off to the side, and he has his hands clasped in front of him and it's like he forgot he was in the scene, and he's just swaying side to side. I don't know, it made me laugh pretty hard.

Ha! I noticed the same thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In her latest interview Faye Marsay says that their staff-fighting scenes earlier in the season took a full month of training and rehearsal. It's no wonder we're getting so few fight scenes anymore.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Somebody rewatch the scene with Tyrion trying to feed Grey Worm and Girlfriend of Grey Worm wine, and tell me if I'm insane.

He has a cup of his own wine, walks away from the table, and pours fresh glasses from a seperate bottle for them to drink. He's aggressive and demanding about them drinking. Even though their pitcher isn't empty, he walks to the other side of the room, to a new new pitcher, and refills his glass. He stands here for a moment, and Grey Worm puts his glass on the table. The lighting is very odd here, with the glass of wine under a goddamn spotlight with the way the scene is framed. Tyrion looks at the glass, back at Worm, and appears almost nervous. Watch that scene and tell me we're not meant to wonder if he's trying to poison them.

Not suggesting he is, he appears to have zero motivation for that poo poo, but before you quote this post, just watch the scene for me and keep that in mind. It's weird.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Advice posted:

Somebody rewatch the scene with Tyrion trying to feed Grey Worm and Girlfriend of Grey Worm wine, and tell me if I'm insane.

He has a cup of his own wine, walks away from the table, and pours fresh glasses from a seperate bottle for them to drink. He's aggressive and demanding about them drinking. Even though their pitcher isn't empty, he walks to the other side of the room, to a new new pitcher, and refills his glass. He stands here for a moment, and Grey Worm puts his glass on the table. The lighting is very odd here, with the glass of wine under a goddamn spotlight with the way the scene is framed. Tyrion looks at the glass, back at Worm, and appears almost nervous. Watch that scene and tell me we're not meant to wonder if he's trying to poison them.

Not suggesting he is, he appears to have zero motivation for that poo poo, but before you quote this post, just watch the scene for me and keep that in mind. It's weird.

No, just no. No more theories, every single thing on this show is exactly as it appears. Have you learned nothing from the Arya Durden fiasco? Just let it go.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

waitwhatno posted:

No, just no. No more theories, every single thing on this show is exactly as it appears. Have you learned nothing from the Arya Durden fiasco? Just let it go.

You definitely didn't bother to rewatch the scene. I know this thread can have a dick-waving competition at times to see who can call someone out on an insane theory the fastest, but this is so far from the Fight Club theory it's retarded. Just watch the scene, man. I'm just pointing out something odd.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Kills:
8:47 (+6) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
9:15 (+10) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
46:22 (+2) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
46:26 (+10) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):

Insults/ Funny Lines:
9:04 (+3) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
45:14 (+3) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
45:46 (+3) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
46:46 (+3) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
47:11 (+3) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):

Plus points for whipping it out, and consuming more wine than Cersei. Dude is on fire.

+28 points and 2 spots for a #58th .

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 13, 2016

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No ones going to rewatch the scene to disprove a theory so batshit that you yourself needed to add like 500 qualifiers to it

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Cersei clearly wanted to poison Sansa back in season 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwp2vXaufN4

And Tyrion tried to kill Podrick!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ZY_EEl6j0

Forget the Martells, House Lannister is filled with attempted serial murders, all using the same signature poison of aethynol!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zotix posted:

8:47 (+6) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
9:15 (+10) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
46:22 (+2) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):
46:26 (+10) Sandor Clegane (The Hound):

+28 points and 2 spots for a #58th .
Haha, not bad for a dead guy.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

That DICK! posted:

No ones going to rewatch the scene to disprove a theory so batshit that you yourself needed to add like 500 qualifiers to it

Nobody in this thread watches the show even on their first viewing anyway, I guess asking goons to critically examine a scene, god forbid analyze poo poo like lighting and camera work, is too much.

So anyway guys, could the Waif really be Syrio Forel?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The funniest thing about Jaime is that the name people use to insult him (and that he gets insulted by) represents the most heroic thing anyone on Westeros has probably ever done

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Your entire theory rests on the assumption that these clowns could even write something subtle like this. Are you serious? What show have you been watching?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Advice posted:

Nobody in this thread watches the show even on their first viewing anyway, I guess asking goons to critically examine a scene, god forbid analyze poo poo like lighting and camera work, is too much.

Maybe you should rewatch the scene yourself some time. You might notice a thing or two you missed.

Hint: He walks over because the pitcher is empty. :ssh:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Advice posted:

You definitely didn't bother to rewatch the scene. I know this thread can have a dick-waving competition at times to see who can call someone out on an insane theory the fastest, but this is so far from the Fight Club theory it's retarded. Just watch the scene, man. I'm just pointing out something odd.

That scene was shot, paced, and acted super stilted and weird and I'd be lying if I said the same thing didn't cross my mind bro. But then I took like 10 seconds and thought about it and couldn't concoct one single reason Tyrion, the reasonable protagonist, would be trying to poison his subordinates who are literally his only two friends in Meereen, one the general of his army and head of security, and the other his interpreter

like what

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

And More posted:

Maybe you should rewatch the scene yourself some time. You might notice a thing or two you missed.

Hint: He walks over because the pitcher is empty. :ssh:
This is what I recalled as well, but it really wasn't worth the time checking to confirm/refute that batshit theory.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
He's metaphorically poisoning them with one of his vices. Missendei will be drinking Cersei under the table by next season.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
At most I will acquiesce that D&D are better at accidentally implying subtle scenes rather than trying and falling on their face. Truly my greatest blunder was expecting a clever scene from the team that gave us season 5.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vegetable posted:

This is what I recalled as well, but it really wasn't worth the time checking to confirm/refute that batshit theory.

I was already checking out the swaying Mountain, so it wasn't much of a hassle. :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Advice posted:

At most I will acquiesce that D&D are better at accidentally implying subtle scenes rather than trying and falling on their face. Truly my greatest blunder was expecting a clever scene from the team that gave us season 5.
Your greatest blunder was posting your dumbfuck theory here and making poo poo up to pretend it had any credibility

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
While we're posting goofy ideas: where is Varys going? I think High Garden.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Vegetable posted:

Your greatest blunder was posting your dumbfuck theory here and making poo poo up to pretend it had any credibility

Twisting the knife we got a Waif fan over here

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Maarak posted:

While we're posting goofy ideas: where is Varys going? I think High Garden.

Nah, Dorne does seem to be the far more obvious answer TBH. Most qualified person to resist da bad pussay donchaknow? Tho High Garden's a possible 2nd stop if Faith Militant gently caress things over horribly enough for the Tyrells.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Advice posted:

Maybe Tyrion was just keeping the top shelf booze for himself, while pouring cheap swill for the others since he knew they couldn't really tell anyways? That fits.

That also explains why he's so surprised that she loves it, and also makes Grey Worm saying "it tastes like it went off" all the more funny.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Advice posted:

holy poo poo maybe he's just taken aback by how little grey worm drank before giving up

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Pander posted:

I've only ever listened to the books through audiobook, so it took me way too long to realize Roy Detrice wasn't saying "milk of the puppy". I was very confused by Westerosi slang as a result.

I also had no idea why people who read the books were so bad at spelling "sir".

Hi pander hope you're doing well

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Advice posted:

That being said, nobody on this planet can look me in the face and say that at least this last episode wasn't filler. I let out an involuntary chuckle/scoff when she ended up in literally the exact same position (bleeding out and desperately trying to avoid the Waif) as last episode ended, and just did things differently for no reason.

This.

I don't think Arya's plot was "a waste of time," either...but I agree that it wasted a ton of time. They might as well have not given her a scene last week, and just condensed the entire gut-stabbing / Assassin's Creed parkour chase into this one. We already knew Lady Crane was a decent person, that Arya was morally right not to kill her. We already had a moment between them where they connected as people, so this episode felt redundant in that respect. It would've been much stronger if Arya's showboating display of booking passage last week was actually a plan to bait the Waif. If maybe Arya was injured, but less gravely, and the fight ended in the dark like this episode. But over the course of one tense chase, instead of two extremely similar ones.

It'd also have made Jaqen's "you are truly No One" speech more motivated. As it stands, Arya walked around town like a moron, with no apparent plan, and was nearly stabbed to death. If she'd walked around town intending to be seen and chased (leading to a trap in the dark room), it'd show that she calculated the Waif's motivations and exploited them...demonstrating a more coldly rational assessment befitting of a Faceless Man. The "I am Arya Stark of Winterfell" mic drop would be more meaningful if she'd actually demonstrated how good of an assassin she could have been first.

Bobo the Red posted:

He wasn't "becoming" a decent person, though. That part has always been there. There's a reason he, of all the supposedly honorable Kingsguard, was the only one who finally saw the Mad King for what he was (and by extension, what they were, in protecting him). He's always been torn between what his love for his awful family leads him to do, and the sort of ideal man he would be in their absence.

Yeah, I like where they were going with Jaime this episode. His general conflict tends to focus on the discrepancy between his self-perception and the unkind reality of how people view him, and Edmure's dialogue hit that head-on. In a way, the Jaime-Brienne-Cersei triangle is built around the idea that Brienne loves who he wants to be, and Cersei loves who he is.

His dilemma is almost always his desire to do the noble thing vs. the reality that nobody will appreciate or notice it; that he must be "the bad guy" because it's the role he continually must play. I read his intimidation of Edmure as exactly that...he *does* care about killing a child, but he *will* do it if it accomplishes the needed goal. He wanted to end the siege of Riverrun bloodlessly and honorably, but yet again realized that this was impossible.

Which is why I think the Blackfish dying off-screen was lame as gently caress. It'd have been a cool scene if Blackfish was brought to him, restrained, and Jaime killed him. Jaime's pained acceptance that he must be the bad guy would've come to a logical conclusion: Blackfish is prepared to die before he'll surrender, and if Jaime has to be the one to grant him that, so be it. Following that with his "goodbye" to Brienne would've been pretty powerful. It'd work in a whole "Gatsby reaching for the green light" way, but in this case he's reaching for the unattainable goal of being a noble man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Advice posted:

He pours wine for each of them and then finishes the bottle filling his own glass. Then he empties his glass and gets a fresh bottle and pours more for himself. The scene is stilted and awkward because Tyrion is trying to ingratiate himself with two people who don't like him but have to be nice to him. It's shot like the mood it communicates.

That scene is fun though because it seems like there might be some improv going on when Missei tells her joke and Grey Worm starts giving her poo poo for it, and there's kind of a looser feeling to the performances and I like it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
drat, I was really looking forward to the mountain cleaving droves of militants with his plank-sized sword.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

drat, I was really looking forward to the mountain cleaving droves of militants with his plank-sized sword.
He might still. There's no way Cersei's gonna be peacefully sentenced to death or whatever hellhole the Sparrow has in mind, y'know.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
The Arya plot has really hit rock bottom.

She literally got stabbed through the gut a few days ago and all of a sudden she's jumping out of windows and doing a full sprint? Are you loving kidding me? I'm willing to believe she was able to get out of the water without an infection, but that entire segment left a sour taste in my mouth.

The quick cuts in the chase sequence were awful as well. Everything about her was awful in this episode.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Ned stark had taken the iron throne for himself after Roberts rebellion, the white walkers wouldn't have ever stood a chance right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here are 12 random thoughts about this episode.

1. I like butthole jokes as much as the next guy, but ... what the gently caress, guys? Butthole-fingering jokes? What the gently caress is the point of that?
2. I guess I can cross 'saw Rory McCann's dong' off my... list of stuff that happens for no reason. Not as bad as "I have warts on my cock!", but still just as pointless.
3. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the conclusion of the siege of Riverrun, unless the point was just to tie up the leftover parts of The Red Wedding, while getting Jaime out of King's Landing for a minute.
4. Wow, Bronn is kind of an rear end in a top hat. A good-hearted rear end in a top hat who treats Podrick like a little brother. :)
5. I like that my reaction to the Masters' ships attacking Meereen was, "Oh. Tyrion isn't right all the time. Huh."
6. I also like that seeing Beric and Thoros's Brotherhood again came without a big reveal/return.
7. I'll be fine if The Hound joins The Brotherhood for shoes and food, and just accepts that he's good at fighting, and he might as well fight for a cause that's mostly decent. Kind of.
8. How the hell can Jaime and Brienne see each other in pitch dark, separated by 100+ feet?
9. One of the high points of the episode, for me, was Edmure calling Jaime an rear end in a top hat. The guy grew up while living as a prisoner.
10. The names Missandei and Melisandre are kind of similar-sounding and confusing.
11. The actress who traded (something?) to the Faceless Men to have the lead actress killed kind of got super screwed.
12. Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking of the T-1000 during the Waif's running scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vegetable posted:

I've been mulling it over and my biggest question about the Arya sequence is Jaqen's reaction at the end. Why does he say "A girl has no name"? She knows Arya's hosed up her training. Would he have seriously considered allowing Arya to stay then? Maybe the Faceless Men just has really bad recruitment and that's how they ended up with the Waif.

From a few pages back

I thought it was pretty obvious, what with Arya having a sword pointed at his chest, that Jaqen was saying whatever he thought would get Arya to NOT STAB HIM at that moment and buy him some time. Pretty sure he would have murdered her on the spot if she had let her guard down and wanted to rejoin the FM.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 14, 2016

• Locked thread