Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

This is some high quality concern trolling. Have y'all considered we just haven't been nice enough? We could try being nice! It'll totally work

There's a difference between disagreeing and being critical, and being hateful about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TBeats posted:

There's a difference between disagreeing and being critical, and being hateful about it.

Why would I want to be coy about the fact that I hate bad people?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Exactly. It's not even civil discussion at that point it's a game of making poo poo up to fit a narrative. Not bending the facts. Completely ignoring them. The only answer to that sort of mentality is a giant gently caress off.
He straight up lied earlier that this gunman was born in Afghanistan when he was born in NY State. I'm sure Fox won't bother to mention this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TBeats posted:

This is, coincidentally, a case of losing sight of the forest for the trees.

It is our first amendment right to be huge pricks to everyone that isn't 95% inline with my ideology, race, orientation, and income level.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lemming posted:

Why would I want to be coy about the fact that I hate bad people?

How far has it gotten you? Or would you say things have progressively gotten worse?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Periodiko posted:

The Republican Party has abandoned parliamentary politics. "Working with you" is not a part of their current strategy. The only thing that is going to change that is if their current strategy becomes less effective. Acquiescence is not a winning tactic in this scenario. The past 8 years are evidence of this.

The authors of this article aren't some Democratic-party firebrands, they're self-described centrists. Norman J. Ornstein works for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative thinktank. They're the Serious People who want everybody to Compromise. Even they recognize that American parliamentary politics are fundamentally broken.

If you think that the correct conclusion is that we should all strive to emulate the bolded part as much as possible, I think you're missing the point they were trying to make.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TBeats posted:

How far has it gotten you? Or would you say things have progressively gotten worse?

If we just be nice to the Republicans they will start being nice too and stop oppressing us and trying to ruin our children's environment and income and healthcare so the rich can be slightly richer.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The idea behind civil discourse is that maybe you can come to some sort of mutual understanding and find some common ground on which to govern. There is no common ground between "only fully unrestrained capitalism is true freedom" and "taxes, regulation, and government investment are good and necessary for a healthy and functional society". Or between "gay people deserve the same rights as straight people" and "no they don't". Or "Muslims deserve the religious protections as all others in this country" and "throw them out, banish their children, religious purity tests for all".

The problem isn't that we are divided in our discourse and that prevents us from finding common ground, it is that we are divided ideologically, and that prevents us from finding common ground. The discourse is a symptom of the ideological divide, not the other way around. And make no mistake, one of these ideologies is poisonous and mean-spirited and exclusionary at it's very core, and treating it like it deserves serious consideration is much more damaging than saying mean words about it, and the people who espouse it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TBeats posted:

This is, coincidentally, a case of losing sight of the forest for the trees.

Post less and lurk more.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

socialsecurity posted:

If we just be nice to the Republicans they will start being nice too and stop oppressing us and trying to ruin our children's environment and income and healthcare so the rich can be slightly richer.

Do you think democrats would respond better or worse if the GOP wasn't such assholes to them?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Post less and lurk more.

No

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

thx. Not really anything i was expecting! I thought you'd either be really young or old enough to be outside "millenial." But anyway, here's my admittedly anecdotal experience: I have a bunch of ultra-conservative relatives. The kind that leave Fox News on in their house all the time, even if they're not watching it. They know that my wife and I are left-wingers. They consistently refer to all democrats as idiots to our faces. It is literally impossible to have a debate with them; they just talk over you, or insist they are right because they are older. They are not interested in any fact-based points you might have to make.

So at the end of the day I just avoid bringing up anything political. I've learned there's nothing to be gained from it--which is the opposite end of the spectrum from "gently caress those guys" all the time, but with the same result. Point being, there's nothing to be gained either way. It is not that any one person is going to make the country more divided, or even a trend of behavior on an internet forum or on Facebook or Twitter. There are systemic issues that have caused extreme political polarization of the populace, and frankly I don't believe being nice/polite on the internet will advance anything.

I think your perspective is admirable but I honestly can't imagine how you're holding on to it after 28 years.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TBeats posted:

I feel like I'm far less likely to get strung up and pulled behind a truck for wanting to kiss dudes than I was 15 years ago, which is an improvement.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Post less and lurk more.

If Tbeats stands for nothing then what will he fall for?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Whoops

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 14, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TBeats posted:

Lmao

Maybe if Obama had just tried to compromise more with the Republicans, it would have worked!!!

Look buddy, do you have any evidence to back up the idea that being nice to people with different political opinions than you is effective in persuading them? Because I know that personally the times that I've been forced to examine what I believe it's largely been the result of being shocked into doing it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In retrospect, the civil war was actually pretty uncivil. Kind of a weird name, yea? Maybe abolitionists should have just talked it out with slave owners, maybe tried to see their side of things and ultimately they could have come to a peaceful solution, like maybe they could keep some slaves, but only if they promised to say nice things to the slaves and be polite to them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, seeing rumors that Mateen was actually a regular at Pulse and had a profile on a gay dating sight?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CommieGIR posted:

So, seeing rumors that Mateen was actually a regular at Pulse and had a profile on a gay dating sight?

Where are you seeing these "rumours".

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CommieGIR posted:

where? doesn't seem to be catching anywhere reputable yet, but that's just based on googling his name on news.google.com

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lemming posted:

Lmao

Maybe if Obama had just tried to compromise more with the Republicans, it would have worked!!!

Look buddy, do you have any evidence to back up the idea that being nice to people with different political opinions than you is effective in persuading them? Because I know that personally the times that I've been forced to examine what I believe it's largely been the result of being shocked into doing it.

I didn't say Obama hasn't been screwed by republicans. I'm saying that the more hate you throw at republicans, the more staunch they will be in their opinions. I'm not speaking about politicians primarily, I'm mostly speaking about the voting public. The type who will be voting in November that could legitimately put someone like Trump in office.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

emdash posted:

where? doesn't seem to be catching anywhere reputable yet, but that's just based on googling his name on news.google.com

Well, there's this

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/742475540720848897

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well poo poo. This is the way this is going to spin out " Self Hating Gay kills other Gays".

It's on Gawker right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TBeats posted:

I didn't say Obama hasn't been screwed by republicans. I'm saying that the more hate you throw at republicans, the more staunch they will be in their opinions. I'm not speaking about politicians primarily, I'm mostly speaking about the voting public. The type who will be voting in November that could legitimately put someone like Trump in office.

Yes, and you're claiming that that's 1) true without evidence and 2) that somehow this is happening on a wide scale on SomethingAwful. Both of things which are, you know, bad assumptions.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

emdash posted:

Here's one of the top stories on my Google News feed, if the Orlando Sentinel is reputable:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/pulse-orlando-nightclub-shooting/os-orlando-nightclub-omar-mateen-profile-20160613-story.html

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

emdash posted:

Only name a recognize reporting it is Gawker, so I'd wait for confirmation.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Trying to get people on the internet to be nice to one another while arguing about politics is like trying to swim your way back up the Niagara falls

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://abc7ny.com/news/man-orlando-gunman-used-dating-app-to-ask-about-gay-clubs/1383103/

quote:

Kevin West said the shooter, 29-year-old Omar Mateen, contacted him three months ago through a dating app called Jack'd.

"When he first contacted me, he was saying things like, 'What clubs are popping and things of that sort, what are good places to go?'" West said. "And I remember telling him, 'Oh, you can just look it up online because I don't go out that much."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's like the hand washing scene from MacBeth except it's news orgs bemoaning that no matter how hard they scrub, the gay just won't go away. There's gay below the gay here, they may be forced to admit this is a story more complicated than swarthy cantaloupe-calved men in turbans wading onto our shores with curved swords

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Trying to get people on the internet to be nice to one another while arguing about politics is like trying to swim your way back up the Niagara falls

And the whole time your goal is to get further downstream

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You have to have a reason to own a gun

Who determines what is a valid reason to own a gun? I doubt it will be anybody who knows jack poo poo about firearms or the gun culture in America. Its like letting white people decide who's a "real" black person or something.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lemming posted:

Yes, and you're claiming that that's 1) true without evidence and 2) that somehow this is happening on a wide scale on SomethingAwful. Both of things which are, you know, bad assumptions.

Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post about this but my criticism wasn't limited to Something Awful.

"I think people should just be nicer to each other."

"UHHHH CAN YOU PROVIDE PROOF OF THAT???"

What?

Here's your proof:

I tell you to gently caress off right now. Are you more or less likely to respond negatively?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wonder if the shooter trying to get information about gay bars and such has more to do with figuring out where he was going to do his shooting spree rather than being secretly gay?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Numlock posted:

Who determines what is a valid reason to own a gun? I doubt it will be anybody who knows jack poo poo about firearms or the gun culture in America. Its like letting white people decide who's a "real" black person or something.

Lots of gun culture in America is diseased beyond belief and should be excised, OP

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Numlock posted:

Are you currently engaged in war with anti-american forces and need lethal force to maintain your current military posture?

Wait, what do you mean yes?!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TBeats posted:

Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post about this but my criticism wasn't limited to Something Awful.

"I think people should just be nicer to each other."

"UHHHH CAN YOU PROVIDE PROOF OF THAT???"

What?

Here's your proof:

I tell you to gently caress off right now. Are you more or less likely to respond negatively?

Yeah still don't have a problem with being an rear end in a top hat by telling some HFC blow hard to gently caress off.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Hamish posted:

I wonder if the shooter trying to get information about gay bars and such has more to do with figuring out where he was going to do his shooting spree rather than being secretly gay?

That's what it looks like to me at the moment.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I've got the perfect 2 point plan. We outlaw guns so only outlaws have guns then we outlaw being in jail QED

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Wow fast ninja there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

So it was probably just him planning it out then.

There has been shockingly little talk of Trump pulling the credentials of The Washington Post, I wonder how other media outlets will treat this? It's the first major print company he's done this too, correct?

• Locked thread