Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If they were going to find it right away they probably would have when they cleaned at the end of the route, so it's either stuck somewhere deep or gone. You could keep checking back to see if it turns up, but in my experience if they don't have it that same day it's probably not on the train anymore and likely not going to turn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RIP, my phone. You had a good run. Now, where's the cheapest place to get a smartphone in tokyo.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Perfect, that's close by. What about this place pontocho?

Seconding this question. I walked past a bunch of tiny 8-10 seat bars somewhere in that area after walking around Gion, but was too scared to go in. Is there a way to tell if they're cool with tourists or if it's a snooty place that'll turn you away if you're not a regular?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I've been to about a dozen different onsen and I have lots of tattoos, never had anyone say anything. Most of these were in rural Tohoku also. I am a giant white guy though, so I don't think people were suspicious that I might be Yakuza.

I went to onsen in Amanohashidate with some friends and was almost turned away because a cute Italian girl had a little bird tattoo on her shoulder. We managed to convince the owner to let us in by promising to cover her shoulder with a towel.

So, YMMV.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I went to onsen in Amanohashidate with some friends and was almost turned away because a cute Italian girl had a little bird tattoo on her shoulder. We managed to convince the owner to let us in by promising to cover her shoulder with a towel.

So, YMMV.

Yeah, absolutely. I made an effort to cover my tattoos with a small towel, but they were still pretty apparent.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone else attending Fuji Rock this year?

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Hey. I've cross posted this across a few of the Japan threads on the forum, but this seems to be the right place for travel questions.

I'm going over to Japan with my partner in December, and we'd like to book some nice place since it might be the high season. We'd like to spend the first two jet-lag ridden days in a place with a private open air bath (hotel, ryokan, anything is good), and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good one between Tokyo and Osaka. Preferably closer to Tokyo as we don't want to spend the first day travelling too much.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a 14 day travel route during the end of December, they'd be highly appreciated. Right now we're thinking about Osaka - Kyoto - north somewhere - Tokyo, but that's leaving out all of the small stops in between.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Cessy posted:

It's also the first one listed here.

Nifty, thanks.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I've been to about a dozen different onsen and I have lots of tattoos, never had anyone say anything. Most of these were in rural Tohoku also. I am a giant white guy though, so I don't think people were suspicious that I might be Yakuza.
Wonder if they didn't care or were just intimidated.

peanut posted:

Yes

In Shikoku
:cheeky:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'm tempted to go on an impulse trip to Japan in a couple of weeks. I'd like it to be outdoorsy and I'm thinking of cycling that route along the islands off Shikoku and then staying on Shikoku for a few days. However, I wouldn't be able to take all my luggage with me - do any goons know of a good way to store luggage for a few days?

Also, what are people's thoughts generally on having an outdoorsy holiday in Japan in June? I don't mean mega-outdoors, just day hikes and non-strenuous cycle rides, but I've forgotten what the heat and humidity feels like.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Shimanami Kaido is excellent and yes the heat and humidity will suck. The wind when you're up on the bridges feels amazing.
Station coin lockers are emptied out every few days (24 hours?) so try storing bags at your hotel, and/or mailing them between hotels.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

.Z. posted:

Wonder if they didn't care or were just intimidated.

What's funny is I'm about the least intimidating person ever, I'm just tall. But here people always say I look scary before they get to know me. I had to basically have my counterparts at my school make an announcement about it being okay for students to just come up and talk to me if they wanted.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
*running down street in bloodstained clothes waving dripping cleaver*
stop being frightened of me! I'm really friendly!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Going to Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe) for the first time.

I've heard that Osaka has the best food; any recommendations?

Other stuff we like is coffee, working out/outdoors stuff, museums.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Going to Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe) for the first time.

I've heard that Osaka has the best food; any recommendations?

Other stuff we like is coffee, working out/outdoors stuff, museums.

Osaka people have an inferiority complex when it comes to Tokyo so they take excessive pride in being from Osaka and claim their food is better. But it is pretty low-brow stuff they harp on about and it mostly drowned in sauces so don't get too excited. Tokyo probably has better food, just not the stuff they love in Osaka.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Ned posted:

Osaka people have an inferiority complex when it comes to Tokyo so they take excessive pride in being from Osaka and claim their food is better. But it is pretty low-brow stuff they harp on about and it mostly drowned in sauces so don't get too excited. Tokyo probably has better food, just not the stuff they love in Osaka.

Oh that's good to know. We actually are thinking we may not set up AirBNB/hotels, because we have no idea how much time to spend in Kyoto and Osaka vs. Tokyo. Like, it would be a bummer to budget 3 days for Osaka and feel like we've done everything on day 1. We're only going for about 10 days, so it's a consideration.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess if you are a connoisseur of brown sauces, yeah, Osaka has better food.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

To be fair I thought Fukuoka had better food than Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What are your travel dates? There are some weeks in summer when a walk-in hotel room reservation will be near impossible...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

I guess if you are a connoisseur of brown sauces, yeah, Osaka has better food.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

To be fair I thought Fukuoka had better food than Osaka.

Of course we do!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

peanut posted:

What are your travel dates? There are some weeks in summer when a walk-in hotel room reservation will be near impossible...

June 23 - July 4. It seems like AirBNB is pretty open during this time?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Oh that's good to know. We actually are thinking we may not set up AirBNB/hotels, because we have no idea how much time to spend in Kyoto and Osaka vs. Tokyo. Like, it would be a bummer to budget 3 days for Osaka and feel like we've done everything on day 1. We're only going for about 10 days, so it's a consideration.

Osaka doesn't really offer you much if you are going there after visiting Tokyo. It is a big city but you are better off spending time in Kyoto. I'd spend a night in Osaka and then maybe Kobe/Himeji as alternatives to the other two days you were planning to spend in Osaka.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like Osaka, but probably because my best friends live there. There's tons of decent independent coffee shops all around.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My buddy likes to troll his Osaka native wife by saying things like "the okonomiyaki in tokyo is better".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Osaka but I didn't notice any real difference in the food. If it's your first visit to Japan and you only have ten days I'd stick to just Tokyo and Kyoto.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Kushikatsu and Spa World are the only real reasons to go to Osaka :tipshat:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Cool, thanks for the replies! This is very helpful, because we were obviously under the mistaken impression that we should spend a bunch of time in Osaka.

I'm American, and I use Yelp at home -- any ideas for finding restaurants? Obv I speak zero Japanese.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tabelog.

Osaka sucks

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

caberham posted:

Tabelog.

Osaka sucks

Weird you'd say that, are you being tsundere??

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Weird you'd say that, are you being tsundere??

I think Osaka might be better for living than visiting. It's kind of a gritty place in comparison to the other big cities in Japan and the people are a bit more outgoing and jovial, but it just doesn't have anything amazing about it. I've talked to quite a few foreigners who really enjoy living there but I can't think of anything I would specifically go to Osaka for as a tourist. Go take your picture with Glico guy and eat cheap street food! That is what everyone does when they visit Osaka.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Ned posted:

I think Osaka might be better for living than visiting. It's kind of a gritty place in comparison to the other big cities in Japan and the people are a bit more outgoing and jovial, but it just doesn't have anything amazing about it. I've talked to quite a few foreigners who really enjoy living there but I can't think of anything I would specifically go to Osaka for as a tourist. Go take your picture with Glico guy and eat cheap street food! That is what everyone does when they visit Osaka.

OK, so here is what we're thinking: 1 day in Osaka, 1 day in Kobe, 1 day in Nara, a few days in Kyoto, and the rest in Tokyo.

Nara, obviously the deer park. Kyoto, we're trying to arrange to stay in a buddhist temple (apparently this is a normal thing to do?). Tokyo, there seems to be a ton of stuff, I don't even know.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'd say that grittiness is probably the only thing Osaka has going for it. It's a big city but still has a local feel to it, which you certainly don't get in many parts of Tokyo. Old men get rip-roaring drunk by 1pm everywhere in Japan but I think Osaka is a magnet for these types. It's like Ueno/Okachimachi but an entire city. Feels much more like "Asia" than anywhere else I've been in Japan.

...but yeah none of that will be readily apparent to a tourist, unless you've already spent quite a lot of time in Tokyo and/or Asia. For a tourist 1 day there should be plenty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a Buddhist cult in Nara (Tenri-kyo?) that lets foreigners stay in the temple for free if you attend a crystal healing meditation session or something.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

peanut posted:

There's a Buddhist cult in Nara (Tenri-kyo?) that lets foreigners stay in the temple for free if you attend a crystal healing meditation session or something.

whaaat not only would I want to do that just for the story, but my gf would do it and probably insist she felt healed

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

spankminister posted:

Seconding this question. I walked past a bunch of tiny 8-10 seat bars somewhere in that area after walking around Gion, but was too scared to go in. Is there a way to tell if they're cool with tourists or if it's a snooty place that'll turn you away if you're not a regular?

I checked it out after that post and it was pretty good. I think I know where you're talking about in Gion, a street with a bunch of fancy restaurants and some bars with suits standing outside with ear pieces? I don't know if that place is cool with foreigners, they certainly didn't look like they were but Pontocho was legit. You'll know you're there when you see a bunch of drunk people walking around having a grand time and there's a stream running down the middle of it all. I didn't find the night life in Kyoto anything to write home about, overall it seemed like everybody was either 1. a tourist or 2. a local who had no interest in talking to tourists. That was my second time in Kyoto and after seeing ~20 temples total between the 2 trips and seeing the castle both times I doubt I'll go ever go back. The city was pretty but it was swarming with tourists and the locals seemed pretty annoyed with everybody who wasn't Japanese.

nocal posted:

OK, so here is what we're thinking: 1 day in Osaka, 1 day in Kobe, 1 day in Nara, a few days in Kyoto, and the rest in Tokyo.

Nara, obviously the deer park. Kyoto, we're trying to arrange to stay in a buddhist temple (apparently this is a normal thing to do?). Tokyo, there seems to be a ton of stuff, I don't even know.

My last trip to Japan was 10 days Fukuoka, 4 days Osaka w/day trips to Kobe and Himeji (was going to go to Nara but it was rainy), 3 days in Kyoto and ~4 days in Tokyo. In my humble not an expert on Japan at all opinion I'd recommend you combine Osaka/Kobe/Nara into one session. I'd stay in Osaka (or wherever is cheap) and then do day trips to Kobe and Nara (and I'd highly recommend Himeji-jo castle). Kobe was awesome for the beef and some of the old European houses but I didn't see anything that would make me want to spend a whole day there. I didn't make it out to Nara, but from what I saw online I don't think there's enough to keep you busy for a whole day. Hell after having a nice lunch in Kobe I was going to press on to Nara to round out the afternoon and it'd probably have been fine.

As for food... whenever I wasn't with a Goon or some rando foreigner I made friends with I'd just find something to eat around one of the sights I was seeing. For dinner I'd either have a specific dish I wanted to get so I'd ask the hotel where a good place was, or I'd ask the hotel where a bunch of bars/restaurants were and would wander into whatever looked good. Most places either have pictures of their main dishes or have plastic mock-ups, you can just point to what you want and they'll get it for you. I can't say I ever went to a place that had BAD food, most was amazingly good, a few were just plain good, and one or two were only alright. I used google a couple of times to look for specific types of restaurants (fish, ramen, etc) but the danger with that is 1. if the reviews are in English you don't know if the people writing it even know what authentic Japanese food tastes like and 2. If it's in Japanese you don't know wtf it says apart from how many stars it has, and at that point why not just go walk into random places? I went to some place I found on google in Kyoto that had amazing reviews in English and it was this weird okonomiyaki (sp?) place with life size real doll looking things sitting at the table with you and weird manga poo poo on the walls. The only people in there were foreigners and there were a fuckton of them in there. The food sucked, it was weird sitting in a place with NO Japanese eating at it and everything was kinda creepy.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"I felt as though everything had a strong fishy/seaweed-esque aroma and taste, which I wasn't expecting."

- some white chick on Yelp reviewing a ramen restaurant in suburbia in tyool 2016

On that note, can any one recommend me food to eat in Japan? I am allergic to the thought of fish, legumes, and soy products. Thanks!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Phone posted:

On that note, can any one recommend me food to eat in Japan? I am allergic to the thought of fish, legumes, and soy products. Thanks!

Plain white bread and plain onigiri :yum:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Boiled eggs, unseasoned spaghetti, raw eggplant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I ordered Japanese food and they gave me a fish ? ? ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grand Fromage posted:

I ordered Japanese food and they gave me a fish ? ? ?

Hey, I grabbed some Thai food last night and it was really spicy
2/5

http://www.yelp.com/biz/noodle-boulevard-cary-2