Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've always found Eurosport's coverage really good and as I was paying for it already(somehow) saw no reason to pay for the WEC stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eurosport usually have a commentary free stream on the Eurosport Player as well so you can just put RLM on.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Eurosport's coverage of ERC is always great, I just wish it was easier to get in North America.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Basticle posted:

Heres the US schedule

8:30-2:00 Fox Sports 1
2:00-4:30 Fox Sports 2
4:30-6:00 online only
6:00-6:30 Fox Sports 2
6:30-7:00 online only
7:00-7:30 Fox Sports 2
7:30-10:30 online only
10:30-2:30 Fox Sports 2
2:30-9:30 Fox Sports 1

For you non-Americans, almost no one actually gets Fox Sports 2 (I dont think my cable company even offers it) so if you want to watch the race on TV in this country you effetively can only watch the first 5 hours and the final 7 and a half hours (and its been this way for years).

Thanks for this

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

Heres the US schedule

I'm just going to go with the "find a shady stream and put on Radio Le Mans" option

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

julian assflange posted:

It's not. It's part of the entertainment plus pack. You can get just sky sports through a Now TV (sky) box though I don't see the point of those

Looking again, I don't see it so that must have changed recently. Eurosport WAS part of the basic package ever since they first launched though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WindyMan posted:

I'm just going to go with the "find a shady stream and put on Radio Le Mans" option

I understand this when coverage sucks. But the streaming package is quality and worth 10 bucks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

same, i havent had any problem finding streams in prior years.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Norns posted:

I understand this when coverage sucks. But the streaming package is quality and worth 10 bucks.

One of these years I might spring for the stream, but since I haven't had the time to marathon the race like I used to I don't think I'll be on it enough to need to buy it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

I've always found Eurosport's coverage really good and as I was paying for it already(somehow) saw no reason to pay for the WEC stream

Eurosports coverage was poo poo last year and I got sick of the same ads 9000 times.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

Eurosports coverage was poo poo last year and I got sick of the same ads 9000 times.

Yeah they were pretty bad looking back on it. The commentary was good though, they usually bring in some interesting folks during the night to tell stories and some have obviously had a drink

Helicon One posted:

Looking again, I don't see it so that must have changed recently. Eurosport WAS part of the basic package ever since they first launched though.

Its only in the last 2-3 years that they changed this

WEC should make a PS4 app for the streaming :rms:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

track day bro! posted:

Eurosport is abismal at everything they do.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
RLM's commentary is way better than eurosports too, it sounds lame but for me they are part of watching endurance racing.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Last year the RLM commentary was broadcast on youtube with a camera in their booth in some Mobile 1 tie in

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

The official stream was really goddamn awesome last year, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just watch that instead.

Yeah it has been really good for me for the other WEC races this year so far.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I think I bought it last year, but refresh my memory: is the official stream purchased through the app (I have one called 24H Le Mans on the phone)? I don't see any purchase option in the app, but it may need to be closer to the weekend, idk.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uwaeve posted:

I think I bought it last year, but refresh my memory: is the official stream purchased through the app (I have one called 24H Le Mans on the phone)? I don't see any purchase option in the app, but it may need to be closer to the weekend, idk.

You can do it on the WEC website as well and the account works on up to 3 devices simultaneously

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

uwaeve posted:

If you do it on the app, you can only access through the app.

If you buy it on the WEC site, you can also watch live on PC. They finally added the ability to watch afterwards but that's also only on the app as well.

tl;dr sign up on the site and connect to the app.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

If you do it on the app, you can only access through the app.

If you buy it on the WEC site, you can also watch live on PC. They finally added the ability to watch afterwards but that's also only on the app as well.

tl;dr sign up on the site and connect to the app.

You can do it the other way and it should work automatically but I had to email them before Spa to get it to detect the purchase on the PC.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Meanwhile, in Paris…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAHr5w3unU

Oh wait, nevermind. That's Perris.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 14, 2016

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

You can do it the other way and it should work automatically but I had to email them before Spa to get it to detect the purchase on the PC.

not in years past. glad your case worked out this year though.

Also, this article from Marshall Pruett interviewing drivers about the experience of driving some of the monstrous 1,000 hp plus prototypes is a pretty good read. It's worth it just for Mark Blundell's final lines regarding that old Nissan he set a record in.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

Also, this article from Marshall Pruett interviewing drivers about the experience of driving some of the monstrous 1,000 hp plus prototypes is a pretty good read. It's worth it just for Mark Blundell's final lines regarding that old Nissan he set a record in.

That's a pro click. I knew the power was over 1000 but never knew it was that much on some of them

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

julian assflange posted:

That's a pro click. I knew the power was over 1000 but never knew it was that much on some of them

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those would have been manual gear shifters too. Incredible stuff though I still love this era and the technology, even if it is less about the driver

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

From what the modern drivers have said in that article and elsewhere, though, it sounds like the electric motor power still hits like a ton of bricks. And I'm guessing they're doing all that with fewer megajoules of total energy (IC/hybrid combined) than cars like the Nissan R90 or even the late '90s ones.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Anyone use SlingTV

So I saw a thread somewhere else that said that I could watch all the past NHRA races as well as foxsports using SlingTV.

Is that true?

Will I have to pay extra for the NHRA race replays?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Marauder Stig posted:

Anyone use SlingTV

So I saw a thread somewhere else that said that I could watch all the past NHRA races as well as foxsports using SlingTV.

Is that true?

Will I have to pay extra for the NHRA race replays?

I got Sling and didn't even know they added Fox. The way Sling usually works is they save programs they've run (for a time) and you can watch them for free. On my Sling they list FOX NHRA (Topeka) and NHRA (Atlanta).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Also the Fox package, which is Fox, FSN1, FSN2, FX, FXX and your local Fox Sports (if you got one) is an additional 20 bucks on top of the normal 20 bucks. Compared to beIn and other trash which is just 5.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
t-t-t-triple post

The new Sling deal is it has one version with Fox and poo poo it owns and the other is Disney and poo poo it owns (like ESPN). You can get both but idk.
https://www.sling.com/service/compare

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just get the Playstation Vue. It's got FS1/FS2, NBCSN, and ESPN/ESPN2 on its lowest tier for $30/month. $5 more a month and you get BeINSports for MotoGP and a bunch more channels.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tempting, Vue has all the channels I want for auto racing and soccer. I just wish there was a Windows/OSX app.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Tempting, Vue has all the channels I want for auto racing and soccer. I just wish there was a Windows/OSX app.

I have heard that a Vue login works just like Comcast/etc for logging into *those* respective streaming apps. Food for thought as well.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You also need a PS3/PS4 or Amazon firetv to sign up, iirc.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

harperdc posted:

From what the modern drivers have said in that article and elsewhere, though, it sounds like the electric motor power still hits like a ton of bricks. And I'm guessing they're doing all that with fewer megajoules of total energy (IC/hybrid combined) than cars like the Nissan R90 or even the late '90s ones.

I'm sure they do hit like a ton of bricks, but it's the same controlled hit lap after lap. Drivers can adjust to it. Mechanical turbo cars were far more influenced by weather conditions and throttle position, plus they didn't have traction control to act as a filter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I'm sure they do hit like a ton of bricks, but it's the same controlled hit lap after lap. Drivers can adjust to it. Mechanical turbo cars were far more influenced by weather conditions and throttle position, plus they didn't have traction control to act as a filter.

Blundell's description of the stuck-wastegate Nissan is fantastic - spinning them up in 4th. Those cars were definitely brutal, turbo lag is definitely a hell of a thing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ugh, WEC app keeps dropping the video to my Chromecast every 5 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't do this poo poo during the race itself.

Edit: by the way Q2 happening now, possible rain in ~15 minutes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Kilonum posted:

Ugh, WEC app keeps dropping the video to my Chromecast every 5 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't do this poo poo during the race itself.

Does the App only work on the mobile or tablet device you purchase it through?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Does the App only work on the mobile or tablet device you purchase it through?

I bought the subscription through the website. it works on my laptop and phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

I've had zero problems with my stream if this is helpful for you troubleshooting

• Locked thread