Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Podima posted:

Also yeah don't do the sacrifice play when the GM is actively recommending against it. We had this conversation already - PTN GMs for story and fun for players and viewers, not to screw the players.

On the other hand just think of what the clanners could do with Jason as a bondsman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Infected posted:

I'm pretty sure this was answered before in the thread, but what move mod are mechs that are entering the map sheet considered to have?

Typically +2 in the past

Also no one can withdraw this turn, since there are still enemy units in the extraction zone.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

evilmiera posted:

On the other hand just think of what the clanners could do with Jason as a bondsman!

There are lots of options! Interrogation! Enhanced Interrogation! The "enhanced" bits without the interrogation! Summary execution! Attempted escape followed by summary execution! Sparring partner for all the hot-headed not-elementals! a best case scenario of scrubbing toilets and carrying books for the jock trueborns. Truly, there are many paths a captured Jason Youngblood might take.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I would highly advice against the sacrificial play of leaving Jason behind. Better to get everyone out and leave the Clans infuriated and with a bad case of Combat Blue Balls. Seriously, having the same mercenary unit completely pwn the poo poo out of them in two back to back encounters and then get away with only a couple of downed 'mechs at worst, while decimating several /Stars/ worth of Clanners would give those Trashborn a massive hate on, and trolling the Clans into doing something colossally stupid is one of President Amaris' primary goals. He would be absolutely giddy if you managed to give the Clans a massive complex over trying to beat you.

edit: Belatedly Poptarts, you still have the STag's pilot listed as being unconscious on his damage chart, even though he's clearly not.

edit 2: The Nidhogg Delta is also still listed as an active combatant on it's damage sheet as well, despite missing a leg.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Man. You go to work and you come home to find two whole pages of people discussing how you should totally use your mech to piss off the GM/die/get captured/the wonderfully horrible things that will happen if you get captured. I'm starting to understand why some people get Sanguine.

I intend to be one of the last out, when it is wise to leave and will not screw over the rest of the players. And if my buddy up here could kill those infantry over in the woods, it would be appreciated.

EDIT: I agree with the plan to have me jump over to rescue Icepick. The infantry on the hill will get right in the way, though.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 13, 2016

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

They might also die instantly, considering the usual flaw of light `Mechs.

Sure, but they still look like a chainsaw with bear teeth. The question becomes 'how many of you will they put down before they blow up spectacularly?'

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hmmm... The light mechs can actually get in position to block off the Dragoon no matter how it moves, and the Atlas too unless it runs straight for the exit without protecting its rear.
Shades of the Ilkhan's Jenner.

Edit: it's harder to fight back while retreating without physicals and the optimal angles. Plus they only have to delay the Dragoon a single round to likely make things lethal for it.

Hopefully/probably they go for the endzone instead to try and stop everyone for the glory, because if they don't there's not a lot of options other than hoping all the little mechs explode in one round, or cracking open the cockpit and jumping off into a friendly hand.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 13, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The difference this time is that the Atlas kills 1d6 light mechs per round.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

The difference this time is that the Atlas kills 1d6 light mechs per round.

Ever read the Chronicles of the 69th VXF? It's not a bad fanfic but there's a scene involving a battlemaster in I think in one of the later books where Jason Henley goes on a crazy killfest rampage and basically makes the clans think he's the second coming of the avatar of death incarnate. It's pretty akin to what we're seeing from the atlas this time.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think everyone should hold off on retreating this turn and start going away next instead.

Thin out the lights take cover from the heavies.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

RA Rx posted:

It's crazy the company has actually taken out 14 mechs, 1 fighter, several immobile fighters, and several infantry platoons for 1 loss so far.

The legitimate making of Poptart's own pet merc company (do not steal) :v:

You will have made it if you can get them into the official canon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Boogle posted:

The legitimate making of Poptart's own pet merc company (do not steal) :v:

You will have made it if you can get them into the official canon.

The Crescent Hawks already exist.

Duncan's Demons already exist(ed). As a front for Thomas Marik's Knights of the Inner Sphere, admittedly, but Duncan got to pretend he was a Real Mercenary for a while.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've got to admit, this whole mission is starting to feel like a Kobayashi Maru test. The Demon Hawks have been punching well above their weight due to the dice giving them a reprieve, so Ath and his star show up early, with another star, then a bunch of extras coming swarming in all before the first 6 turns are up (some of them appearing right on the Hawks doorstep). It feels like the system is compensating to try and get to a certain number of downed players before the mission can be successfully completed.

All to be held up by some loving infantry having a dance party in front of a tunnel. :argh:

In before this turns out to all be a training simulation Amaris has trapped the Demon Hawks in, Matrix style.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

RA Rx posted:

It's crazy the company has actually taken out 14 mechs, 1 fighter, several immobile fighters, and several infantry platoons for 1 loss so far.

Let's not forget the two Stars of 'Mechs that the Demon Hawks took apart last mission.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to be clear, the extraction point is the opening of a tunnel. It would make no sense if a player had to spend a whole round just standing still in the extraction point.

Clearly (once enemy units are clear of it) you end your move there in a turn, and in the next turn you'll use your move to head down the tunnel and escape. Assuming you survived, of course. What this means for practical purposes is that it's to your advantage to plan your last move in advance so you can get a maximum move mod when you move into and end your move in the extraction zone.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
PTN - I'd love to be signed up for the pilot list. I have PMs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The mention of the Piranhas reminded me to check the pilot names, and I'm both disappointed and relieved to see the Sea Fox characters from the Outfoxed scenario haven't turned up, considering what seems to be the likely fate of this Clan taskforce by the end of the campaign. The perks of being second-line freebirth nobodies, I suppose, you don't get to ride along to the "Gank Space Hitler" party.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
PTN - Just wanted to let you know that I now have PMs, so you don't need to email me when my turn comes up.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

RA Rx posted:

Hmmm... The light mechs can actually get in position to block off the Dragoon no matter how it moves, and the Atlas too unless it runs straight for the exit without protecting its rear.
Shades of the Ilkhan's Jenner.

Edit: it's harder to fight back while retreating without physicals and the optimal angles. Plus they only have to delay the Dragoon a single round to likely make things lethal for it.

Hopefully/probably they go for the endzone instead to try and stop everyone for the glory, because if they don't there's not a lot of options other than hoping all the little mechs explode in one round, or cracking open the cockpit and jumping off into a friendly hand.

I pointed this out when I noticed the Star of lights. Also for reference, our Dadlas can get its remaining armor chewed the hell off by that light star and crit to death just as quickly as my Dragoon II. Current movement options being placed on the GDoc suggest that the Atlas and Dragoon will be moving in an echeloned formation simply out of their movement profiles. I have the benefit of being able to do the flippy arms trick and may will wind up doing so shortly because I have more rear armor than front. This is playing into me probably running to 2136 rather than reversing into that hex and having better facing for retreat and firing backwards.

E: Also worth reminding folks in case they haven't looked at the arsenal on the Light star due South! They have big hole punchers in addition to alot of critseeking. ERLLs and a Heavy LL, just to start the list. And the only mech of the entire star that has a sub-10 max move happens to have the pair of ERLLs anyway.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 14, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm imagining that big yellow 'turns remaining' banner is the time available, not the time it will take rooting around in that mech's innards to find the pilot, correct? Standing in the same hex for three turns, even if you're allowed to keep firing, would be an absolute death sentence.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

How long has it been in elapsed in-mission time since the first shot was fired in this mission? It seems like they got an awful lot of firepower here in a hurry for this being a backline raid. They couldn't even get reinforcements powered up in 5 minutes when the NRWR showed up to murder their command staff. Now they can pull most of a cluster in to defend an airbase from a surprise raid at the drop of a hat, including proper assault forces.

When GoonLance inevitably gets overrun and murdered by the literal bucket of dice now being thrown at them, I hope we find out the Clans pulled multiple front line units in a mad dash back and the NRWR are following up to kick them in the rear end all the way. In addition to whatever is going on with that McKenna that is explicitly the mission objective.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Zaodai posted:

How long has it been in elapsed in-mission time since the first shot was fired in this mission? It seems like they got an awful lot of firepower here in a hurry for this being a backline raid. They couldn't even get reinforcements powered up in 5 minutes when the NRWR showed up to murder their command staff. Now they can pull most of a cluster in to defend an airbase from a surprise raid at the drop of a hat, including proper assault forces.
It has been about 2 minutes since the raid started, three stars of Mechs destroyed, and six more stars on the field still trying to kill us.

vv There are six extraction zone hexes around the exit. vv

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Clearly (once enemy units are clear of it) you end your move there in a turn, and in the next turn you'll use your move to head down the tunnel and escape. Assuming you survived, of course. What this means for practical purposes is that it's to your advantage to plan your last move in advance so you can get a maximum move mod when you move into and end your move in the extraction zone.

That doesn't make any sense, because then only 1 person per turn could retreat and there are a dozen player mechs.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I'm waiting to see someone run over and pick up the pilot, only to get their arm shot off right after.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Champion is going to reverse to Hex 2938, shooting the solitare, with contingencies for the black python and then the hellstar

Corponation fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 14, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ardlen posted:

It has been about 2 minutes since the raid started, three stars of Mechs destroyed, and six more stars on the field still trying to kill us.

Crazy that in tabletop so much can happen in two minutes, yet in MWO it can take longer than that to even spot the enemy on some maps

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Coffeehitler posted:

PTN - Just wanted to let you know that I now have PMs, so you don't need to email me when my turn comes up.

Make sure your PMs are activated! It's under the "Edit Options" category in your control panel, and make sure "Enable Private Messaging" is set to Yes. :)

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'm waiting to see someone run over and pick up the pilot, only to get their arm shot off right after.

At which point someone has to go pick up the arm!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Rules for picking up Haze?
It's really perfect where his mech went down.

Edit: you might want to get closer to the extraction zone

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 14, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm jumping to 1936 and shooting da Hellstar.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

I'm jumping to 1936 and shooting da Hellstar.

You could run (or jump) to 2135, which, while out of medium laser range from the Hellstar, would let you sling some lasers at the Infantry squad 6 (Or any infantry in line of sight), which is honestly a lot more important right now.

Target priorities need to be stuff in the extraction zone, things you can cripple or kill easily (the light star to the south), and then everything else.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hmm. I have a PPC and two pulse lasers. Would it be more useful to engage the mechs (and rely on my move mod), or join in stomping infantry?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Try and hit a Pirahna if you can. Your PPC will cause a crit anywhere it hits, and luck might provide.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gwaihir posted:

You could run (or jump) to 2135, which, while out of medium laser range from the Hellstar, would let you sling some lasers at the Infantry squad 6 (Or any infantry in line of sight), which is honestly a lot more important right now.

Target priorities need to be stuff in the extraction zone, things you can cripple or kill easily (the light star to the south), and then everything else.

Yeah, fighting the heavies and assaults in particular seems pointless, you shouldn't be on the map long enough to wear them down as it is. And any move that isn't the shortest, safest move toward the extraction zone needs a lot of justification.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wouldn't you want the longest, safest route to get the best move mod for the turn?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

And any move that isn't the most direct, safest move toward the extraction zone needs a lot of justification.

You are correct.

Zaodai posted:

Wouldn't you want to path through the most hexes possible, safest route to get the best move mod for the turn?

As are you.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Demon Hawks, we are LEAVING!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a lot of gun pointed at the infantry, we should be ok.

I could get out safely in two rounds but I figure it's better people shoot at me than anyone else, so I'm being the rearguard. I can get to the exit in three rounds this way.

E: tell me if I'm being dumb :-)

Ee: WE NEED TO KILL MORE https://youtu.be/GZUeiuMOjt8

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 14, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I expect we'll lose three more mechs before we extract. Maybe more if we're unlucky.

We have two stars engaging us directly and a third and fourth star maybe kinda having shots.

We'll likely exterminate all the light mechs before we're able to evacuate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Right, getting back into town and catching up.

1) Do we have a confirmed to grab Icepick? Just to make totally sure before I move.

2) PTN, you messed up my heat. I was down to 4 heat last turn, which means no move penalty - I did a full alpha to get me to +5 on turn 9, then was a -1 heat on turns 10 and 11. I absolutely had 4/6 move on the last turn and should be at +3 heat, not +4. Can I get a confirm on my actual position before I submit my turn?

• Locked thread