Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Sperglord posted:

Finally, anyone want to hear a summary of the talks I attended at the aerospace conference?

Sounds interesting. :frogon:

Edit: Catte tax.

Danakir fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Ooops, refreshed

They used to get awful ratings but what with CIG not releasing anything worthwhile and not being able to use :reddit: to pimp this trash it's just gone downhill.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Imagine this, spinning around and glitching all the time. A choir of angels paaarping, the truly devout are allowed to join in. For all eternity.

Is the backer on the right pinching the backer on the left's arse?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

They used to get awful ratings but what with CIG not releasing anything worthwhile and not being able to use :reddit: to pimp this trash it's just gone downhill.

At 13.43 they discuss goons, sort of.
I think because everyone is saying 'check out how few views they get' this video may be their highest viewed, purely by rubberneckers

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Is the backer on the right pinching the backer on the left's arse?

"No, you go first."

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

G0RF posted:

Are you kidding?

There are opportunities everywhere to nestle yourself in the softness of a vintage bomber jacket seat as you're hugged in aluminum accented, aerodynamic curves dotted with exposed steel screws, each element reinforcing a sense of flyboy swagger formerly known to only the most daring of dogfighters in World War II...

Wow I'm convinced now, best drat office to work in since it was a little a girl!!

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

Ths guy says this game is gonna be great!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I went and listened to a bit of that INN stuff and it's literally "everything is broken and poo poo, thanks CIG".

And I loved the:

:dukedog: You got to understand the Goon. It's a spectrum...

:holymoley: Much like Star Citizens!

:dukedog: Exactly, when you think about it we aren't so different, goons and us. Why can't we just... all... be friends?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
That's awful

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

:dukedog: You got to understand the Goon. It's a spectrum...

https://youtu.be/C6QEqoYgQxw?t=23s

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Came across this and felt I had to share.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

You know what, if the loving thing was any good Goons would be the first people trying to get in there with him. One thing I've learnt is that the posters on here and in the Discord chat are gamers in all sorts of diverse genres, everyone loves and is into their games. I've had some brilliant chats about games with disagreements and all sorts of stuff, and I've found everyone here to be passionate about it. Chats about games from the Amiga days, the ZX Spectrum days, flight sim guys, 4x games... you name it. People who remember the Amiga demo scene coders, loving brilliant, there's your gamers right there, there's the people who would be raving about Star Citizen and playing it and telling everyone about it.

But you CAN'T actually play Star Citizen, there's nothing to actually talk about, it's loving awful. Those twitch guys did their absolute best there to put something together for Star Citizen fans to watch and it was just a total embarrassment.

a good post

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sperglord posted:

When does infinite warfare appear at E3?

There were some editorials in gaming rags questioning the tastefulness of heavy promotion of shooter games in light of the recent massacre. I wonder if that changed anybody's plans last minute - it certainly has changed some of the tone of presentations. Maybe even changed the show agendas... We shall see.

(There's a very indepth feature in Game Informer that I'm planning to upload-- should have it tomorrow.)

quote:

Also, Gorf, where's the Andromeda? That was a disappointment.
NOW you're complaining? :)

I was jazzed to see the Skyrim in Space rumors look true- I wanted more too, especially considering the things Bioware Devs said in the weeks building up to the show. Looks like EA had other plans-- FIFA, Madden, and Battlefield getting the lionshare of that hour.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 14, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was just reading the Neogaf thread for SC and while I'm not particularly familiar with their forums, I wasn't expecting to see them talking about FUD and how the ToS is perfectly normal etc. Going off SA to read about SC is like stepping into an internet version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

people like shooters because conflict is in our nature and we like to feel powerful and in control and like we are warriors even if we are pasty and impotent irl, feeling icky about a shooting won't change that

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone link this? Derek linked it on his twitter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJK3sfZVIcM

I assume so since pgabz is the top comment

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Sony just announced an X-Wing VR game at E3. This is great for Star Citizen because:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cig is awesome, i appreciate the circus they're putting on. thank you to those who invested hard earned thousands into this video game.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Justin Tyme posted:

Anyone link this? Derek linked it on his twitter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJK3sfZVIcM

I assume so since pgabz is the top comment

For the first time in gaming history, gamers from all genres, of all ages and in many different countries have come together and reached a consensus - the Star Citizen terms of service are filth.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
COD just shat all over CIG's face goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_s5EvEzVs

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 14, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
:lol: just wait until Croberts sees the CoD trailer they just showed at E3. Holy poo poo.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Danakir posted:

Sounds interesting. :frogon:

Ok, here we go. Warning, this is a technical conference, so some of the things here may not be interesting to the general populace. Also, the titles aren't right. If you're interested in a specific talk, tell me and I'll find you the title.

I attended two talks in the morning, both about laser diagnostics.

Ray Tracing through Turbulent Field for Combustion Diagnostics: There is a class of combustion diagnostic tools which use a signal emitted from the intersection of two / three laser beams. The output is a function of the intersection intensity and, consequently, is affected by a misalignment in the intersection location. The presentor described his using a commercial ray tracing program to simulate the turbulent field around the combustion point, so as to measure the affect on the beam intersection. So far, the work was preliminary, he showed different intersection defletions for different degrees of simulated fields. I'd be interested in seeing this work extended by generating statistically valid artificial turbulence fields and measuring the impact.

Laser Measurements of Dissociation and Temperature - This talk was about two diagnostic tools intended for Arc-Jet facilities. Arc-jets are very high temperature wind tunnels used to test thermal protection systems. As they are high temperature and rather small, the flow they produce is in a chemically excited state. However, the exact composition and temperature of that flow is uncertain. The first laser tool measured the degree of molecular dissociation by examing the polarity of scattered light. This is then compared to a theoretical curve, from which a dissociation fraction can be computed. Tests showed this method wac accurate to within 1%. The second technique used a small explosion, induced by a laser pulse, to measure the temperature of a gas. The explosion produces a shock wave, which weakens to a acoustic wave. The speed of the acoustic wave is the speed of sound, from that a temperature can be derived. Results here were weaker, the researchers face a problem that the acoustic wave is very weak. The strongest signal comes from the shock wave, which travels higher than the speed of sound. Some theoretical work is required to get a better data analysis too.

In the afternoon, I attended five talks. The first two were on hypersonic boundary layer transition, the study of how a hypersonic boundary layer becomes turbulent. These talks were along the lines of "I ran a simulation and found this" so I'll skip them.

Hypersonic Glider Trajectory incorporating Control Surfaces: The first talk was about incorporating control surface dynamics into finding an optimal trajectory for a hypersonic glieder. The major work was creating the simplified model of control surfaces and studying their impact on a hypersonic glider configuration. This was then inserted into a optimization routine and a trajectory was defined. Results showed that control surfaces produced a less efficient trajectory than the simplest case, where the glider is treated as a point mass. I liked the author's dynamic model, but it seemed like he didn't have an idea on how to use it, other than to add more and more complications.

Control of Shock-Wave Boundary-Layer Interactions (SWBLI): This group showed that a SWBLI could be controlled using a laser perturbation of the flowfield. SWBLIs occur when a shock wave, generally produced by an inclined ramp after a flat plate, interacts with the incoming boundary layer. The resulting flow includes low frequency pressure oscillations which sit near vehicle structural modes, causing high stress on vehicle panels. In this work, a laser beam produced a hot spot, which flowed downstream and interacted with the SWBLI. The laser excitation forced the SWBLI to oscillate at the frequency of the laser excitation, with decreasing amplitude at high frequencies (about 10 - 40 times the SWBLI frequency). This means that a SWBLI could be forced to oscillate away from structural modes. I liked the work and would like to see it tested with a local flow perturbation device, as using lasers ahead of a vehicle isn't practical for flight.

Improved Design of Hypersonic Waveriders: The last talk covered two technical improvements to the design of hypersonic waveriders. A waverider is a vehicle which is designed to have a shock wave fit on the leading edge. That produces a high pressure field below the vehicle and a low pressure field on top, creating lift. These vehicles generally have the highest Lift to Drag ratio for any hypersonic design. The speaker covered two improvements he made to the process of generating a waverider. (The first improvement was using a shock-fitted computational grid; the second was using an Octree method to accelerate tracing streamlines) These produced a better vehicle design space than the classic method.

That's all for today, I have another full day of talks tomorrow.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Where can I purchase my spaceships for COD:IW?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

New Caveman 2 Cosmos trailer looking good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

:lol: just wait until Croberts sees the CoD trailer they just showed at E3. Holy poo poo.

Grapples he will scream out. Thats what SC is missing!

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4nyadr/so_even_after_promised_star_citizen_dropped_out_a/d480m4h

all you have to do is remove the "I" and the "and" and Chris didn't break his promise :downs:

Jesus these sort of insane self-delusionary coping mechanisms can only come from a lifetime of practiced experience. It just shows you the kind of sad sacks that are still dreaming for this. To me, witnessing this sort of stuff has been the most amazing (and frightening) thing to come out of SC.

"You see, all those bullies weren't punching me because they hate me, they were in fact palpating my abdomen to check for abnormalities. They actually love and care for me!"

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

skaboomizzy posted:

lol i wouldnt have shown up either

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hahahah, watching people try to play this is amazing. Oh lordy. The comedy of it being so unbelievably bad and they're sitting there trying to choke it down because they're too proud to admit it's unplayable but they're being comically shat on the whole time by the pure badness of this game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE Gameplay Reveal

This isn't the official stream-- that's not been updated yet-- but for those checking in, the above is a decent 720p stream.

Much to discuss!

---

GameInformer teases their new issue and in-depth coverage in a clip here.

---

And if you missed it, Call of Duty has their own CitizenCon event coming in September: CALL OF DUTY XP.

$2,000,000 in prizes. 10000 attendees over 3 days, with the best in their e-sport shooter competitions.

They'll be revealing their Infinite Warfare multiplayer mode at that show.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 14, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Plural Abysss posted:

jesus

Sorry CIG, you took too long, should have honored the 2014 date.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I just watched the CoD trailer. drat, that just shat all over CIG's face.

The opening is SQ42, but attached to a real game. Space fighters, working Zero-G gun fights, realistic boarding actions (vent the bridge to kill the crew).

:gary: Good news everybody, we are getting Squadron 42 after all! :yarg:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's not really fair to compare COD:IW to SC. That game has been in development for 35 years with 34500 people.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sperglord posted:

Ok, here we go. Warning, this is a technical conference, so some of the things here may not be interesting to the general populace. Also, the titles aren't right. If you're interested in a specific talk, tell me and I'll find you the title.

I attended two talks in the morning, both about laser diagnostics.

Ray Tracing through Turbulent Field for Combustion Diagnostics: There is a class of combustion diagnostic tools which use a signal emitted from the intersection of two / three laser beams. The output is a function of the intersection intensity and, consequently, is affected by a misalignment in the intersection location. The presentor described his using a commercial ray tracing program to simulate the turbulent field around the combustion point, so as to measure the affect on the beam intersection. So far, the work was preliminary, he showed different intersection defletions for different degrees of simulated fields. I'd be interested in seeing this work extended by generating statistically valid artificial turbulence fields and measuring the impact.

Laser Measurements of Dissociation and Temperature - This talk was about two diagnostic tools intended for Arc-Jet facilities. Arc-jets are very high temperature wind tunnels used to test thermal protection systems. As they are high temperature and rather small, the flow they produce is in a chemically excited state. However, the exact composition and temperature of that flow is uncertain. The first laser tool measured the degree of molecular dissociation by examing the polarity of scattered light. This is then compared to a theoretical curve, from which a dissociation fraction can be computed. Tests showed this method wac accurate to within 1%. The second technique used a small explosion, induced by a laser pulse, to measure the temperature of a gas. The explosion produces a shock wave, which weakens to a acoustic wave. The speed of the acoustic wave is the speed of sound, from that a temperature can be derived. Results here were weaker, the researchers face a problem that the acoustic wave is very weak. The strongest signal comes from the shock wave, which travels higher than the speed of sound. Some theoretical work is required to get a better data analysis too.

In the afternoon, I attended five talks. The first two were on hypersonic boundary layer transition, the study of how a hypersonic boundary layer becomes turbulent. These talks were along the lines of "I ran a simulation and found this" so I'll skip them.

Hypersonic Glider Trajectory incorporating Control Surfaces: The first talk was about incorporating control surface dynamics into finding an optimal trajectory for a hypersonic glieder. The major work was creating the simplified model of control surfaces and studying their impact on a hypersonic glider configuration. This was then inserted into a optimization routine and a trajectory was defined. Results showed that control surfaces produced a less efficient trajectory than the simplest case, where the glider is treated as a point mass. I liked the author's dynamic model, but it seemed like he didn't have an idea on how to use it, other than to add more and more complications.

Control of Shock-Wave Boundary-Layer Interactions (SWBLI): This group showed that a SWBLI could be controlled using a laser perturbation of the flowfield. SWBLIs occur when a shock wave, generally produced by an inclined ramp after a flat plate, interacts with the incoming boundary layer. The resulting flow includes low frequency pressure oscillations which sit near vehicle structural modes, causing high stress on vehicle panels. In this work, a laser beam produced a hot spot, which flowed downstream and interacted with the SWBLI. The laser excitation forced the SWBLI to oscillate at the frequency of the laser excitation, with decreasing amplitude at high frequencies (about 10 - 40 times the SWBLI frequency). This means that a SWBLI could be forced to oscillate away from structural modes. I liked the work and would like to see it tested with a local flow perturbation device, as using lasers ahead of a vehicle isn't practical for flight.

Improved Design of Hypersonic Waveriders: The last talk covered two technical improvements to the design of hypersonic waveriders. A waverider is a vehicle which is designed to have a shock wave fit on the leading edge. That produces a high pressure field below the vehicle and a low pressure field on top, creating lift. These vehicles generally have the highest Lift to Drag ratio for any hypersonic design. The speaker covered two improvements he made to the process of generating a waverider. (The first improvement was using a shock-fitted computational grid; the second was using an Octree method to accelerate tracing streamlines) These produced a better vehicle design space than the classic method.

That's all for today, I have another full day of talks tomorrow.

I wish I knew what any of this actually meant. Looks to be interesting and sciency. Science is awesome and good.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

like....... that COD trailer, drat. It makes CIG look like the special olympics. It's almost unfair.

Wrap it up CIGailures

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Lets think about this from another angle.

Maybe Chris got sent a copy of the trailer and he finally had enough shame to bow out. Not enough to stop the TOS. But baby steps

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Eh, I don't really see it.

How could a space forklift even hope to compete against a space bulldozer?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Like the day after he said "we're gonna blow cod and battlefield out of the water" , Chris got 2 emails in his inbox from his 'friends' working at COD and BF1

and hes been in england ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Plural Abysss posted:

The Dream Is Dead.

gently caress you Roberts. You had your chance. And now you're hosed.

• Locked thread