Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Do you plan on using rods or other weapons?

If not, it's fine. If so, you're gonna mutate yourself to heck with it. A cancellation potion can cover you for one switch or so, but it's really not something you wanna use if you're planning on changing with any frequency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd only wear a piece of *contam gear if it was something I never planned on taking off just because of how absurdly good it is.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yak packs can show up on D5???

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Dee Ehm posted:

Do you plan on using rods or other weapons?

If not, it's fine. If so, you're gonna mutate yourself to heck with it. A cancellation potion can cover you for one switch or so, but it's really not something you wanna use if you're planning on changing with any frequency

Yeah, turns out one swap puts you into yellow, so I dropped that (+7 glaive of freezing with some unexciting mods, but was an upgrade over my +2 chopping glaive), since I'm working on xbows as well. Will wait for that awesoem artefact Bardiche that's coming from Oka any day now...

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So Nemelex got several more cards removed from trunk. And by several, I mean a massive chunk.

Warpwright, Swap, Solitude, Banshee, Alchemist, Hammer, Venom, Water, Potion, Helm, Blade, Shadow, Fortitude, Crusade, and Repulsiveness.

Only 3 decks remain with 6 cards each: Destruction, Escape, and Summoning.

Escape has Tomb, Exile, the Elixir, the Cloud, Velocity, and the Shaft
Destruction has Vitriol, the Storm, Pain, the Orb, Degeneration, and Wild Magic
Summoning has the Elements, the Pentagram, the Dance, Foxfire, the Rangers and the
Illusion

Feel free to discuss.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Floodkiller posted:

It's a +8 freezing exec axe, with the bonus of also occasionally generating a freezing cloud on an enemy and built in rC+, which is pretty hard to beat without good luck or Oka/Trog/TSO blessing. A little noise isn't that big of a deal for those benefits.

Also in 0.19 it grants immunity to freezing clouds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, streak is over 'cause dowan had a +8 electric artifact spear

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IronicDongz posted:

Floor God got tired of your success

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

the Orb of Zot posted:

So Nemelex got several more cards removed from trunk. And by several, I mean a massive chunk.

Warpwright, Swap, Solitude, Banshee, Alchemist, Hammer, Venom, Water, Potion, Helm, Blade, Shadow, Fortitude, Crusade, and Repulsiveness.

Summoning has the Elements, the Pentagram, the Dance, Foxfire, the Rangers and the
Illusion

Feel free to discuss.

Looks like they're trying to tighten up on what Nemelex does. Going to miss Mercenary a little bit, even though its power was somewhat lacking and overlapped with Gozag's Bribe Branch.
Escape is looking rather sexy and aside from Shaft at branch ends could be used without peeking at the cards.
Destruction has Degeneration and Pain potentially causing problems and is no longer something to be spammed until depleted. Powerful effects though and Wild Magic is worth having Stacked for mages for a quick MP pick-me-up.
Summoning takes over as your spam deck. Foxfire could bring out hostile flyers but you fix that by using the deck again.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

Ouch! That really hurt!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh hey it's Eos again. Thanks game :)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I like the idea of condensing Nemelex decks; I honestly didn't like that god from the get-go because there's so many cards to potentially use. 3 decks with 6 cards each sounds a lot more manageable while still having a ton of options.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
I'm not seeing helix or focus listed in either. What happened to the deck of wonders?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dee Ehm posted:

I'm not seeing helix or focus listed in either. What happened to the deck of wonders?

Decks of wonder have been dead for a few versions I believe. Led to scummy behavior which the devs don't like.

Honestly I mostly fine with those changes but a few of those cards were rather good, namely the alchemist and the hammer. Alchemist in particular was secretly one of Nem's best abilities since it converted your useless endgame gold into huge burst healing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hell I would have preferred alchemist to elixir

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Playing a MiFi. Found D&D and Menkaure on D:4, before an Oka altar. Went "oh gently caress."

Checked my wands. Wand of enslavement. No more Dowan, no more Menkaure. :getin:

e: charmed Duvessa also killed a Natasha spawn for me! Then she was much easier to kill without Dowan around. Good ending.

e: goddamn, D&D, Menkaure, Natasha, Grinder, and Edmund all on the same level. RNG must have been trying really hard to kill me.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 14, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really liked Crusade :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've been sent to abyss 5 while on the orb run. wheeee

e: already out lol. send my thanks to this new "kill monsters until the exit appears" mechanic

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 14, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, you really play way faster than I do.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you press buttons fast enough it's almost like naga don't have slow movement speed

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that was on the fast end for me though. 02:19:21, got Eos and maybe the only good faerie dragon armor I've ever seen
code:
+4 faerie dragon armour {+Blink rPois rF+}
the part where I got banished was when I was fighting a clown car of pan lords on depths 4 during the orb run:
code:
 53448 | Depths:4 | Noticed Inoafac the pandemonium lord
 53460 | Depths:4 | Killed Inoafac the pandemonium lord
 53462 | Depths:4 | Noticed Vearph the pandemonium lord
 53478 | Depths:4 | Noticed Orires the pandemonium lord
 53485 | Depths:4 | Killed Vearph the pandemonium lord
 53492 | Depths:4 | Cast into level 5 of the Abyss (Orires)
 53492 | Abyss:5  | Entered Level 5 of the Abyss
 53518 | Abyss:5  | Gained mutation: Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage. [a neqoxec]
 53629 | Abyss:5  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 53690 | Abyss:5  | Gained mutation: You are resistant to electric shocks. (rElec) [a neqoxec]
 53712 | Abyss:5  | Gained mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [a neqoxec]
 53779 | Abyss:5  | Paralysed by accursed screaming for 1 turns
 53824 | Depths:4 | Escaped the Abyss
 53844 | Depths:4 | Killed Orires the pandemonium lord

running V:5 the gently caress over with death channel is one of my favorite things to do in the whole game btw.
now only DE and then my two least favorite species in the whole game

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tavern.txt posted:

Why is love forbidden in the world of crawl?
Because every animate being in the dungeon is trying to kill you, except for the few you summon yourself. :v:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Illusion

Feel free to discuss.
So what exactly is Nemelex supposed to be "for" at this point? A weird knockoff summoner/conjurer with extra escape options? Because that's what I'm getting from these decks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My Strange Card Boy, who is not makhleb and therefore I will never use(seriously if I want powerful summons+randomized ranged options I go mak, and mak also gives you incredibly powerful healing on kill on top of that)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nemelex is a cool narrative concept, but I feel like, mechanically, they're still fumbling to find something interesting to do with him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It would be cool if you could give Nemelex all your meat as soon as you worship him for a chance to go up 4 or 5 levels.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I don't get it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
seriously though as far as I can tell

nemelex:
+randomized invo ranged options
+randomized invo summons
+ranomized invo escape options
-inventory hassle

makhleb:
+randomized invo summons
+heal on kill which is powerful enough that it would make mak a strong god even without the other stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the more nemelex is trimmed down the more i wonder if they should just be axed. i still think my idea of converting the decks entirely into invoked skills and having more of the cool effects scattered in there again would differentiate them enough as a 'gamble for rewards' kind of deal, but as of right now i'm struggling to think of why i would pick them over...well...more than a few gods, actually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Got abyssed by Crazy Yulaf on D2. I figured oh poo poo, that's not good! Walk 10 steps southeast, exit right there. Never even saw an enemy. Thanks crawl!

Also, playing a Minotaur Fighter. Found a Storm Dragon hide just sitting on the floor early on, a random orc replaced my war axe with a +1 flaming war axe, and after chopping a bunch of bees to death (and being poisoned by them), Oka gifted me a cloak of poison resistance. I know that doesn't affect the gifts, but I thought it was amusing.

Oh, and my limited experience in bailies had me think they were just a bunch of Orcs to chop down. I got one full of elves, who I mostly murdered until I got to the last guy who immediately went invisible and nearly killed me as I burned all my potions (and some heroism) beating his rear end. All for 3 piles of gold, a random book and two scrolls. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I thought Snake would be easier to tackle than Shoals as minotaur without many ranged options, but with rPois, rF, Rc. I can have either RPois + RElec, or RPois + Rf + Rc, but not both. loving shock serpents ruin my poo poo.

On the upside, my last foray in there, Okawaru decided I should have worshipped Trog instead:

[EDIT] Annnnd murdered by a Naga Sharpshooter. gently caress. I guess I need some form of reflection or arrow negation in general. I was hoping to find an amulet for it to replace my amulet of regeneration (because Oka gifted me some artifact gloves that had Regen on them), but no luck. I should have gone and picked up some spells for it. I just wanted to be a bull man chopping dudes with an axe. :negative:

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Decks of wonder have been dead for a few versions I believe. Led to scummy behavior which the devs don't like.

Honestly I mostly fine with those changes but a few of those cards were rather good, namely the alchemist and the hammer. Alchemist in particular was secretly one of Nem's best abilities since it converted your useless endgame gold into huge burst healing.

Yeah this, losing Alchemist really hurts. I would scroll id escape decks to find alchemist and elixir because they represented really good immediate healing.

IronicDongz posted:

seriously though as far as I can tell

nemelex:
+randomized invo summons
+ranomized invo escape options
-inventory hassle

makhleb:
+randomized invo summons
+heal on kill which is powerful enough that it would make mak a strong god even without the other stuff

Nemelex had a bunch of buffs and neat escape abilities but I guess all the buffs and half the escape cards got axed.

:rip: Nemelex, too beautiful for this world.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

I don't get it.

Has it been so long since you used to pray over stuff with Nemelex to get decks that you've forgotten?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The one-headed hydra sprite is so cute. Just this poor little snake with feet chasing you around with his stubs. Like the Black Knight. I almost don't wanna kill it, but it's gonna follow me around all game.

code:
S - the +4 scimitar "Impslayer" (weapon) {speed, +Inv rElec MR+ Str+4}. You see here a bloodstained scimitar {god gift}.
_S - a bloodstained scimitar {god gift}
 You feel stronger.
 Your hands tingle!
_S - the +4 scimitar "Impslayer" (weapon) {speed, +Inv rElec MR+ Str+4}
:unsmigghh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 14, 2016

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
code:
1730178 Jess the Executioner (level 27, 186/186 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Fighter on June 13, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 14, 2016!

The game lasted 05:40:43 (71820 turns).

Jess the Executioner (Formicid Fighter)            Turns: 71820, Time: 05:40:44

Health: 186/186    AC: 27    Str: 22    XL:     27
Magic:  37/37      EV: 23    Int: 11    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4287       SH: 31    Dex: 28    Spells: 3 memorised, 41 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +11 exec axe {vamp, rElec rPois Dex+2}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    g - +4 plate armour {rN+}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    x - +4 large shield {rC+}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    K - +1 cloak of Modwy {*Drain rF++ Regen+ Int+3}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    c - +0 pair of gloves of the Dropbear {Str+2 Int-3 Dex+4}
SustAt .          Harm     .    t - +0 pair of boots of the Morning {Dex+3}
MR     ++++.      Clarity  +    b - amulet "Daydak" {Reflect +Blink rF+ SH+4 Stlth+}
Stlth  ..........               O - ring of resist corrosion
                                Z - ring "Pucyxy" {*Confuse rPois rN+ MR++ Int+2}
That goddamned axe, right?

My first ever win, after however many years of sporadic play. The cloak was on sale (unidentified) in D:5, but I'd forgotten about it until I realized I didn't have a good one, and it was a hell of a find. I didn't end up wearing either the CPA or a gold dragon armor I made (I ended up with four skins, I think, in the end?), as my resists were already fine and I wanted to keep rN for torment resist. The only potion of beneficial mutation I found gave me clarity, which made the randart ring really excellent. I also had an antimagic broad axe, but only used it against one OOF, turned out it was better to just kill them faster.

Full dump here.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The problem with Nemelex is that at this point every function Nem provides (or used to provide) is done by another god, and usually in a better form in terms of understandability, reliability, and power. Mak does random destruction and summons better, Gozag does buffs better (as well as having the dev accepted version of strategic gain from god powers through buying shops compared to Experience cards of yore), Hep does a better job at a permanent single ally compared to the Mercenary card, Jiyva does muts and stat shuffling better (if stat shuffling is good?), and multiple gods do burst healing and escape better. Nemelex only really offers flexibility between a bunch of weaker god powers, but that's at the cost of your inventory and a god slot. Nem needs to get either a rework from the ground up as something entirely different, or to just be removed (maybe keeping card code around for either a unique or unrandart evocable to use, but only if a reference is wanted).

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Horrible Idea™: Remove Nemelex, rename Pakellas to Nemelex and add decks to possible gifts, and pretend old Nemelex never existed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The changes so far seem indicative that someone has a plan for Nemelex and I will remain hopeful that it will come into its own. Also starting to suspect it might end up CCG based and you'll become some sort of Divine Duelist of a children's card game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

The changes so far seem indicative that someone has a plan for Nemelex and I will remain hopeful that it will come into its own. Also starting to suspect it might end up CCG based and you'll become some sort of Divine Duelist of a children's card game.
I would genuinely love this. God of Summoning Consumables would be pretty fantastic. Instead of dropping weapon or ammo gifts, Nemmy drops booster packs!

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

I would genuinely love this. God of Summoning Consumables would be pretty fantastic. Instead of dropping weapon or ammo gifts, Nemmy drops booster packs!

Guaranteed friendly summons, too, to differentiate from Makhleb. Strength of packs based on piety, with Peek, stack, etc. having a fail chance based on Evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

UGod is awesome, in general and especially for stabbers.

I encountered a ridiculous fight in a Bailey: A warlord, a knight and three warriors plus goblin chaff, my character is barely able to take a warrior in a straight fight, and I have no buffs or healwounds to let me fight them.
I read id immolation, fire a lightning wand at the goblins to explode them, and this does enough damage that U paralyses the warlord next to me and I stab him to make the entire room explode.

Also doing things like killing a frost giant and 5 animal buddies with two dagger swings.

How does amulet of faith interact with his abilities? Does invocations affect his paralyse and damage linking?

• Locked thread