Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

At risk of a :can: a concerning thing I see from this is such a hard focus on guns. As an outsider, sure, it looks like the US could really use some work on gun laws (not that it helped France or Canada much) but why does the main-stream (anyone but Trump) seem so reluctant to even bring up radical islam anymore even for just legit discussion? Is it for fear of being branded an islamaphobe and bigot for even just bringing it up?

As a fellow Canadian, I think our gunlaws are at least a solid middle ground. Are they perfect? Hell no. Are they better than nothing? Definitely. We have had issues, but mass shootings here are few and far between. Hell, gun crimes in general are. You don't need to outright ban guns, but put some sensible/sane checks and balances in place to help identify whackadoodles before they go off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Make reporting of crimes to the ATF mandatory, make attempted straw purchases a felony with mandatory reporting to the police, get rid of all plea deals on violent gun crimes and drop all the BS "assault weapon" and pistol permit laws. I bet that'd take care of a good deal of gun crime.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Since we mentioned the Sandy Hook "hoax", here's my understanding of it: A gas company wanted to run a pipeline through the neighborhood around the school. So to drive people out of there, they staged the shooting.

I found this out one day by googling the company's name after seeing it on a sign at a trail head a few towns over. I just wanted a trail map, but instead found a forum of people looking at satellite pictures of Newtown and declaring that the local corn maze was definitely not a corn maze.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ozmiander posted:

Make reporting of crimes to the ATF mandatory, make attempted straw purchases a felony with mandatory reporting to the police, get rid of all plea deals on violent gun crimes and drop all the BS "assault weapon" and pistol permit laws. I bet that'd take care of a good deal of gun crime.

Gun lobby isn't going to stand for (and therefore any such proposed law is DOA) any of that, except for abolishing assault weapons bans and permits for CCW.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

Gun lobby isn't going to stand for (and therefore any such proposed law is DOA) any of that, except for abolishing assault weapons bans and permits for CCW.

I doubt even the NRA would fight against enforcing existing laws. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'd want to see them having done it before.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ozmiander posted:

I doubt even the NRA would fight against enforcing existing laws. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'd want to see them having done it before.

Regarding straw purchasing (worth noting technically there's currently no federal prohibition against it, the few who are prosecuted federally are charged with lying on their background checks):

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/291553-key-provision-of-gun-bill-could-be-stripped

TheHill.com posted:

Now the straw-purchasing bill could be in danger because of NRA demands to change the language so law enforcement officials would have to prove that a straw purchaser intended to commit a crime or further the commission of a crime by buying a gun for someone else.

The bill as written would penalize anyone who purchases a gun for someone prohibited from owning it or for someone intending to use it in a crime.

TheHill.com posted:

The NRA also wants to change language allowing the government to confiscate a convicted straw purchaser’s guns and ammunition, according to a draft copy of the group’s proposed changes to the measure.

As for the rest, I don't think banning plea bargains for gun crimes has ever been proposed but I can't imagine the NRA would go along with it (and you'd probably get blowback from prosecutors too), and the NRA isn't exactly covert regarding their desire to see the BATF disssolved, or at least the "F" being dropped from their purview.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 13, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In fairness, the specific point they have, as given in the article:

quote:

If a person buys a gun and sells it to another person, who in turn sells it to yet another person, the bill’s language could be used to punish the initial buyer of the gun, the NRA says.

“It potentially holds people liable for the intention of parties far down the chain of possession,” NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam wrote in an email to The Hill.
Seems perfectly reasonable. If that's a potential grey area in a piece of legislation like that, it needs to be clarfied in the wording.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Good news: my toe doesn't require any further treatment aside from walking like poo poo in a giant protective boot for another six weeks.

Bad news: the fracture does go into the joint so I have decent odds of getting trauma-related arthritis there in the future.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There have been 1429 people shot, and 255 of them killed in chicago since the start of the year, but let's talk about gun control because a muslim killed some white folk.

It's really only going to get worse with those in power exacerbating the root causes rather than addressing them, using gun control and terrorism as cheap distractions. Within the next decade or so, millions of people will be displaced by automation in every single industry, and the pain won't be localized to big manufacturing centers. It's not going to be thousands in detroit out of work, or thousands in chicago out of work, or southern coal miners. it's going to be thousands of people in every city and every town. people who for the last 20 years have voted away their safety net, or voted away progress towards a post-scarcity society. it's going to be entire neighborhoods in 'affluent" cities without a job, without job prospects, with unemployment running out and food stamp programs being dismantled by the idiot they voted into office.

They'll have guns though, lots and lots of guns.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good news: my toe doesn't require any further treatment aside from walking like poo poo in a giant protective boot for another six weeks.

Bad news: the fracture does go into the joint so I have decent odds of getting trauma-related arthritis there in the future.

you'll probably lose the toenail, too. When i crushed my toe and broke it in 2 places, it took nearly 2 years for the toenail to properly grow back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't ban guns; instead, tax them federally at 1 or 2 percent for every gun death per 100k people per year. Including private sales.

I suspect people will suddenly become a lot more concerned about gun safety when it starts directly impacting their wallet. And we can use the revenue to fund mental health servihahahahahahaha just kidding it would just get funneled to the NRA anyway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

About time, you damned hippie.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shaving your pubes for a hot date?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Don't ban guns; instead, tax them federally at 1 or 2 percent for every gun death per 100k people per year. Including private sales.

I suspect people will suddenly become a lot more concerned about gun safety when it starts directly impacting their wallet. And we can use the revenue to fund mental health servihahahahahahaha just kidding it would just get funneled to the NRA anyway.

Yearly gun inspections for emissions purposes. Also liability insurance.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

:feelsgood:

I cut my hair last week and man it feels better. The lady's like it too.

Woop emergency dental visit turned into a Root canal. I needed 10+ shots of novacaine. Still hurt like a mofugga. Turns out I had bunch such a prick lately due to dealing with a terrible infection in my molar. Also dock showed me that my wisdom teeth are in my mouth completely sideways. But in his words let sleeping dogs sleep.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Enourmo posted:

Yeah this is a good idea.

I'm a small family farmer that doesn't have a lot of disposable income. Just this Saturday I needed my rifle to defend my livestock from predators. What do I do when I can't afford this?

This isn't a hypothetical either. I literally posted about this a couple pages back.

Oh wait, lol, guns are only toys, right and not tools for people who actually need them?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
You mean you don't look like a grubby hippy stereotype anymore?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Shaving your pubes for a hot date?

Nah, just took clippers to my back and rear end crack.

ilkhan posted:

You mean you don't look like a grubby hippy stereotype anymore?

Nope. Still an ugly motherfucker, but my hair isn't even down to my eyebrows anymore. It was to my shoulders when I woke up

meatpimp posted:

About time, you damned hippie.

Hey man at least I'm not Wolfman. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 14, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Noise Complaint posted:

Yeah this is a good idea.

I'm a small family farmer that doesn't have a lot of disposable income. Just this Saturday I needed my rifle to defend my livestock from predators. What do I do when I can't afford this?

This isn't a hypothetical either. I literally posted about this a couple pages back.

Oh wait, lol, guns are only toys, right and not tools for people who actually need them?

Unfortunately, they are just toys for a huge percentage of owners in modern America. Regardless, the taxation idea is plain stupid: we can't even make a list of owners, regulate second hand sales or track serial numbers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

ACTUAL real gun control -

1) Have the ballsack to repeat the truth guns for personal protection is a BS reasoning
2) You don't get a gun without a valid reason.
3) Food hunting, sports shooting at a gun club, farming, security firms and vermin control are valid reasons. Firemarms collectors are vaguely valid, they get a higher pass to qualify. In the USA, being a member of a well maintained militia as per the constitution. The NRA appears to pass as a well maintained militia so become a member and enjoy your second amendment right!
4) Guns must be stored properly at all times
5) Assault weapons are never loving valid.
6) Proper background checks, cooling off periods, mental health checks.
7) Training to qualify for a license
8) Gun Amensty / buybacks.

But all of that is too sensible or too hard apparently unless you are John Howard and you have at the time the biggest single person shooting spree ever and a country who otherwise hates your guts fully willing to go gently caress it, you know what? Guns are problem, lets do something about it. And... hey, magic, it worked! The rate of firearms ownership today is actually reasonably high but we're just not having these constant issues. Note proof it works is because of the desperate flailing attempts by the gun lobby to poo poo said laws

Also funny how Australia nutted up and dealt with the smoking lobby with plain packaging laws. Also noted it works - proof is the smoking lobby having a collective and continuing poo poo fit.

But we haven't got same sex marriage.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

5) Assault weapons are never loving valid.

This is pretty much it for me. Keep as many bolt action/lever action/pump action small arms as you'd like. Nobody is going to be able to kill several tens of people in the span of a few minutes with one of those - they'll likely be overpowered by the crowd after the second or third shot.

There's an almost universal trend to these mass shootings - they nearly all involve a semi-automatic firearm being fed from a large capacity magazine. Its almost like there's something about that combination that lends itself to being very efficient in killing large numbers of people :iiam:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No see an AR-15 is exactly like a semi-automatic hunting rifle.

But we can't just use said rifles, we need the AR-15 because

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's still a red herring because while these eventa are horrific they are statistically insignificant compared to the majority of shootings, which are committed with handguns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:captainpop:

Dana Snyder?!?!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Holy poo poo! Did you know in Japan you can buy car parts, walk over to the local post office and ship them home while barely speaking Japanese? GOODBYE MONEY!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Holy poo poo! Did you know in Japan you can buy car parts, walk over to the local post office and ship them home while barely speaking Japanese? GOODBYE MONEY!

Most people have a basic grasp of English, its a basic required course in Japanese High School for business purposes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Man I got hosed when I tried to get Japan Post to quote me shipping price for sending a small box back home :(

Ended up having to drag it with me all over Japan and put it in my checked baggage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Post pics of all the delicious ramen you're eating plz

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man I got hosed when I tried to get Japan Post to quote me shipping price for sending a small box back home :(

Ended up having to drag it with me all over Japan and put it in my checked baggage.

As far as I can tell they don't care about box size, as long as you are using one of their boxes. ($2 for a 12x12x10 with packing material!)
You pay purely based on weight. Also, it was not cheap to ship home a clutch kit and flywheel, but still 1/2 the price I would pay for a used one here in the US.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

Post pics of all the delicious ramen you're eating plz

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

As far as I can tell they don't care about box size, as long as you are using one of their boxes. ($2 for a 12x12x10 with packing material!)
You pay purely based on weight. Also, it was not cheap to ship home a clutch kit and flywheel, but still 1/2 the price I would pay for a used one here in the US.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Yeah, this was a pretty light box (full of Akiba 8-bit console IC vending machine goodies) and it cost an absolute fortune to ship. Don't forget to grab the foam boob that teaches you about breast cancer that's front and centre in every Japan Post office.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

the spyder posted:

Are you going to overnight yourself parts from Japan?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
japan post is legit~

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Can I just overnight myself to Japan instead, that ramen looks delicious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ozmiander posted:

You still have the problem that the ATF and DOJ to not give one single gently caress about prosecuting straw purchasers or lying on background checks.

Enourmo posted:

We should do this for beer too. 1% per drunk driving fatality, on a national level.

Imagine how much road work we could do, given the thousands who die each year!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 14, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

We should do this for beer too. 1% per drunk driving fatality, on a national level.

Imagine how much road work we could do, given the thousands who die each year!

Except alcohol already is taxed? Like I can't read if you're being sarcastic or not but alcohol is very much taxed in many states.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

Except alcohol already is taxed? Like I can't read if you're being sarcastic or not but alcohol is very much taxed in many states.

So are firearms. I'm just saying, the logic you're using applies much more profitably to alcohol, which kills more people every year and would generate a larger profit for the state.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't we turn people into food, so being shot or hit by a drunk driver has a net societal benefit.

We could call it: convenience store hot dogs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, booked the going to and coming back from Hawaii. :dance:

Sept 3
YYC->SEA->KOA

(????)

Sept 19
OGG->SLC->YYC

Flying first class on Delta. A shitbox CRJ700 on the YYC legs, and a 757-300 on the outbound from SEA and I think 767-300 back to SLC. Those are the ones I'm most concerned of. I thoroughly expect them to be ancient rattle-traps reminiscent of the Northwest pieces of crap I flew on but who knows, I might get surprised. Anyone familiar with their equipment for those flights? As long as I can recline reasonably well I hope I can get some type of sleep, especially coming back since that's the overnight leg. The inter-island flights look like they'll be a 717. I haven't flown on a MD-based aircraft in years so I'm sort of looking forward to it even if it'll be a 30 minute hop.

Question though: Hawaiian air seem to be the biggest and go-to interisland guys, but should I be considering anyone else? I see Island Air and Mokulele also seem to be an option?

Was originally looking at coming back the Tues or Weds instead of Monday but the tickets jumped up pretty significantly for the middle of the week. Thursday wasn't too bad, but, it was still a hefty premium, but I wouldn't get back to Canada until Friday afternoon and probably be hosed over on jetlag for a couple days ....just in time to go to work. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry and get back to YYC Tuesday afternoon instead. Couple more days would have probably been nice but at the end of the day I made the call to not spend the extra $$ and take the risk for the time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man I had a big long post typed up but it was getting rambly. The tl;dr is that it's both a false equivalence (drugs/alcohol impairing your judgment leading to reckless behavior != a force amplifier for malicious behavior by sober individuals) and a false dichotomy (you can only worry about one of these things or the other).

I regret contributing to gunchat. Yet again.

• Locked thread