Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Well mostly I'd just cheat my armor back / higher than it was. I could re-get weapons and re-beat missions, within reason. But re-grinding would suck.

No one will care so if/when it's released go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have the mods been historically good for the EDF series?

No idea, I've only played EDF on console. I'd like to mess around with the weapons eventually, if that's even possible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have the mods been historically good for the EDF series?

EDF IA got stuff like a framerate unlock mod and FOV mod, those were nice.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I don't think it will be an issue since the weapon/armor limits exist for multi and I seriously doubt anyone is going to be at 70% the first few months without cheating it in. If I did get it on PC you better believe I'm going to cheat to where I was on the PS4 version.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So was there any EDF talk at e3 this year? The steamdb rumor has been driving me insane for a really long time.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410320/

Five days! (ok, it's only 4.1, but finally here)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SilverMike posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410320/

Five days! (ok, it's only 4.1, but finally here)

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enjoy the game pc gamers

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The idea of tacking Cheat Engine onto EDF to fix armor grinding is a really, really pleasant one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Price is $50, and there's a 30% launch sale.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/366298942100793011/#c366298942100807400

Hawke
May 1, 2008
It's finally happening, EDF!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Real hurthling! posted:

enjoy the game pc gamers

Is the DLC worth it? Any cool weapons there or just stuff to make grinding easier?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hope the port's not colossal poo poo

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Terminally Bored posted:

Is the DLC worth it? Any cool weapons there or just stuff to make grinding easier?

The guns are all trash and nothing is really worth it except maybe for cosmetic/jokey reasons.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Buy the anime decoy cannon, make shenanigans

https://youtu.be/DwgoAr3BA2Q

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
cant wait to sink 100+ hours into this dumb game again, with slightly better graphics and maybe an extra weapon or two this time.

does 4.1have a lot more content compared to the 2013 xbox version?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Brasseye posted:

does 4.1have a lot more content compared to the 2013 xbox version?

It's the same as 2025 with all the DLC they released for that. There were two Mission Pack DLCs released for 4.1, first one was free(don't have name handy) and second one was "Extreme Battles". They haven't said if these are going to be separate for Steam or part of the release. They're not listed in the DLC on Steam though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
2025 doesn't have Walking Fortress Balam. :colbert:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

2025 doesn't have Walking Fortress Balam. :colbert:

How could I forget about the giant robots?! :smith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Time to finish every other game I have going on.

If this will be anything like my 2017 obsession, I'll be playing it until Christmas.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
4.1 is a huge improvement over 2025 in every single way. It's really great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm probably going to end up using Ranger constantly again.

I want to love Wing Diver but I am just the most absolute garbage at properly flying AND managing their energy at the same time.

There is a ton of time where using Wingdiver is such a loving joy and kicks so much insect rear end compared to Ranger, like being a living blender and lightning buffet against Crimson or any tunnel heavy mission. But then UFO's or Motherships or other high altitude and high health targets show up and ugh :suicide: Come back Vanilla Soldier man, your rockets and rifles able to murder poo poo a million miles away as well as nearby are sorely missed.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Section Z posted:

I want to love Wing Diver but I am just the most absolute garbage at properly flying AND managing their energy at the same time.

There is a ton of time where using Wingdiver is such a loving joy and kicks so much insect rear end compared to Ranger, like being a living blender and lightning buffet against Crimson or any tunnel heavy mission. But then UFO's or Motherships or other high altitude and high health targets show up and ugh :suicide: Come back Vanilla Soldier man, your rockets and rifles able to murder poo poo a million miles away as well as nearby are sorely missed.

That's when you use the short range lasers and completely destroy them. Except for the mothership. Laser chainsaw was my best friend for most of hard mode, you can pretty much avoid everything if you can land on top of something high up like a dropship. Wait for the hatch to open and it takes like 3 seconds to kill. Same with hectors, the high fire rate makes them recoil so much that they can't even hit you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, switch in a Thunder Sniper D (the 6 and the 40 burn too much energy per recharge or their beams scatter too much for single high health targets) for reaching out and swatting at something from a great distance. It'll do fine work on Hard difficulty and you can get it relatively early via farming Beach Landing or whatever they call the mission with Hectors storming the beach from first mothership landfall.

Rangers don't have any Sniper weapons with that sort of range at that weapon level, leaving the single-shot Stringer J2 to out-damage the D at a decent range of 800m and having to wait for weapon level 45 to reach the Lysander 2 to considerably out-damage it at 1000 range. Their rockets fare much, much better here with both the Cascade 2 and the Goriasu D2 giving you a choice of fast fire-rate or single-shot damage at 3000m.

Once you're in Inferno, though, Wingdivers are better served with rapiers and bowguns so they can use their extreme mobility to avoid damage against their relatively fragile HP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HolyKrap posted:

That's when you use the short range lasers and completely destroy them. Except for the mothership. Laser chainsaw was my best friend for most of hard mode, you can pretty much avoid everything if you can land on top of something high up like a dropship. Wait for the hatch to open and it takes like 3 seconds to kill. Same with hectors, the high fire rate makes them recoil so much that they can't even hit you.

One at a time, for every loving UFO. When you don't barely have enough energy to reach them as you get into range as they spit out ants/spiders/dragons on your way to them.

For the Flying character, you just have to put in so much more effort to kill flying targets :downs:

Wingdivers are loving amazing, and cathartic as hell when dealing with enemies with their strong points (Flying character best at close quarters tunnel combat, go figure). It's just that my personal priority of "I would like to always be able to gently caress these guys up at all times" seems to be where they fall short for me.

If I'm dipping into Inferno for some quick desperate drops, and I still have to empty out my entire energy bar to kill a hector or UFO at long range on Normal difficulty with a Wing Diver's long range options... That kinda puts a damper on how loving amazing they are against anything stupid enough to get close enough I don't have to fly up several stories to get their weak spot in range.

I admit I am also considering things from a "loving around solo on Normal-Hard, MAYBE Hardest if I'm good at that level" standpoint. Because in MP that's a lot more firepower variety to go around. Where you aren't forced to burn 3/4 of your energy flying into range of a Retariariarius spider (and somehow slowed down trying to fly TOWARDS it if webbed) if you ever want it gone with your fun and practical weapons that will kill them in a few seconds (or less than a second) once in range.

I didn't play MP all that much, but when I did all my personal gripes with Wing Diver Vs High altitude targets tended to go away. Along with most of the countryside. EDF! EDF!

TL;DR: My only real complain about Wing Divers is they are not so hot at my personal priority. But that issue goes away in Multiplayer, and they are very cathartic when you get to use their fun stuff without flying for 3/4 of your bar to reach the target.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 15, 2016

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I actually rarely play solo so yeah I have no idea how that'll work. In MP all the ground units are going for my teammates which lets me use a bunch of my energy to get close to the big things to take them out. Of course, if you get killed then you're just really far away from your teammates who then have to deal with everything, so it's risky. Sage Grimm's strategy is safer for certain missions where you need to stay together

And if you didn't know, you do recharge energy faster if it's completely depleted, so if you time reloads properly you can land somewhere to recharge for a few seconds while shooting enough to stun anything nearby. I can see solo missions taking quite awhile if you don't have powerful WD weapons unlocked

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HolyKrap posted:

I actually rarely play solo so yeah I have no idea how that'll work. In MP all the ground units are going for my teammates which lets me use a bunch of my energy to get close to the big things to take them out. Of course, if you get killed then you're just really far away from your teammates who then have to deal with everything, so it's risky. Sage Grimm's strategy is safer for certain missions where you need to stay together

And if you didn't know, you do recharge energy faster if it's completely depleted, so if you time reloads properly you can land somewhere to recharge for a few seconds while shooting enough to stun anything nearby. I can see solo missions taking quite awhile if you don't have powerful WD weapons unlocked

Solo Wingdiver experience for a Casual:

Laughing maniacally as you keep ramping up "Crimson" until you beat it on Inferno with low tier weapons (granted was a close thing).

Feeling like a 3rd wheel on Landfall while you wait for the Hectors to get closer to land and sigh your "long range" weapons.

Laughing maniacally and then realizing you've killed the first ant queen by accident, before even entering the cave they are in.

Sighing at all the ground to cover between Hectors on Brute Force if you want to use your FUN weapons on them.

The fun parts are in the majority, because mowing down Giant Insects ™ is the majority. I just seem to have a particular hate on for distant but durable enemies and it feels particularly ballbusting while you are used to Ranger popping rockets nonstop/Don't want to have to give up your fun Diver toys just to be able to even hit Ceiling plates and the like. So I preferred to unlock the missions with Old Faithful soldier mans, so I can have more leeway playing Wingdiver later on my own terms.

EDIT: Which can also makes Soldier man's feel better to play as. Because then you get to feel extra badass when using Diver's turbo murder strong points after the fact, rather than wishing you could clear out Very Hard Crimson with your starting default weapon on soldier. It's easier to appreciate middle of the road characters when you use them first, so you can keep in mind what they still have going for them compared to more specialized characters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Your problem is that it sounds like you're using single-shot long range weapons or persistent lasers that will immediately impact your energy bar. You should always have at least one weapon that's clip based, as backup for when you're out of energy or for when you need to take something out after climbing to an appropriate distance. The Thunder Sniper line is mostly amazing and at one point I just carried two of them around to deal with nigh-on everything in my path. Burn through one clip until there's 1 shot left, switch weapon to the other. Only reload once safe.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Uh. Thunder Snipers don't have clips. Not sure anything in the Sniper line has a clip, actually! The MX has a recharge time separate from your own but it's single shot, IIRC.

Were you thinking Thunder Bows instead?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Eh, switch in a Thunder Sniper D (the 6 and the 40 burn too much energy per recharge or their beams scatter too much for single high health targets)
The thunder sniper 40 (or whatever the version number) is the best underground weapon in the game bar none.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I was never fond of the laser and shock snipers. Monster and Gungnir all the way.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, a thunder bow works great on non-inferno drop ships and earth eaters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is the port being done in-house?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Were you thinking Thunder Bows instead?

Oh, right, yeah. That was the one. The Thunder Bow 20 lasted me a hell of a long time and the Thunder Bow 30 was basically the best not-quite-endgame weapon out there for the Wing Diver, as far as I was concerned.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Did they ever "fix" the spiders being able to pull you through buildings? That always annoyed the poo poo out of me and made me really hate playing the game as fencer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

Fencer!

Dash cancel everywhere! Fire huge miniguns! Blow up everything with long range explosives! Stab monsters in the face!

Seriously, once you get good at moving a fencer around, the ranger feels unforgivably slow.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

fritz posted:

The thunder sniper 40 (or whatever the version number) is the best underground weapon in the game bar none.

For at range, yeah. But the Eclat LIM beats it in terms of DPS for basically any showdown in the underground. The scattering on that is a very pretty spiral effect and it just purees anything in the cramped areas efficiently.

I'll admit to giggling like a school girl when I got to use it. :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

THE

E

D

F

DE-

-PLOOOOOOYS

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

so is the port being done in-house?

It sounds like it:

D3PJ posted:

we need more time.
Because for the first time we make EDF for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i guess no one has any idea if the port will be decent or not then.