Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Is Sony actually locking these PSVR games to their platform, or could they eventually be ported to PC after a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Is Sony actually locking these PSVR games to their platform, or could they eventually be ported to PC after a while?

Uh, seeing as they require a PS4 to run...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

People seem very upset about oculus exclusives but I'm not seeing much about Sony exclusives. Sony bought up all the big names. Oculus bought up some games that non vr people have never heard of. If these psvr games have any substance to them, people will flock to psvr because it has things they've heard of and it's easier to use than the PC headsets.

The only people losing here are people with a vive or osvr. Valve clearly doesn't care about exclusives because their money printer is still running full tilt.

There's multiple reasons, really. The main one, for me, is expectation; PSVR isn't really a direct competitor to PC based VR, and console games getting ported to PC eventually is a pretty big tradition. I fully expect that many of the games Sony is helping fund for PSVR will eventually end up on the Vive, assuming they even enforced exclusivity on them in the first place. They might contract with the developer of a Vive game to make their game available on the PSVR, but they're probably not going to care whether it's also available on the Vive. In fact, there's a bunch of PSVR titles with Vive compability, like Eagle Flight, that I'm looking forward to but would probably never exist without the PSVR.

Meanwhile, yeah, I didn't really care much about Giant Cop. But what if Oculus walked up to the creator of Budget Cuts and said "I'll give you this suitcase with ten million dollars if you make your game an Oculus Touch exclusive"? Hyperbolic, sure, but I'm far more worried about Oculus doing something like than than Sony.

Other stuff, too. Like it's probably far more work to make a PSVR game work on OpenVR than it is to make an Oculus SDK game work. Or that, yeah, consoles have much more history with exclusives. But mostly that I see PSVR games as more defensible in the "we want these games for our platform" whereas Oculus exclusives feel more like "we want these games to not be on their platform."

Mordaedil posted:

Uh, seeing as they require a PS4 to run...

I'm pretty sure they mean contractually, in which case it's hard to say. There are certainly PSVR titles that announced Vive/Rift compatibility, but what contracts Sony has with other developers is unknown. It could easily be that some developers just don't think the Vive/Rift market is large enough to justify a port. I doubt Sony considers PC VR a competitor in the same way they do, say, Xbox.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 14, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hah goddamn Oculus is being so transparently scummy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

look at that new star trak game with levar & company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8

I'm really excited to see how this ends up.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 14, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

Hah goddamn Oculus is being so transparently scummy.

Tweak posted:

knifegrab was right

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah it looks sick as hell. I get to be the captain though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Yeah it looks sick as hell. I get to be the captain though.

You know, i was thinking about it and... what does the captain really do? I'm curious how they'll make him useful as a captain and not just another minigame to play. I mean he can give orders all he wants but if you were playing with a bunch of random people online and the captain sucked, why wouldn't you just listen to the helmsman, or engineer as the weapons officer? The only way I'm thinking it works is if the captain is the only one who has access to all the data, or special data about whats going on that no other station can access so you'll *have* to listen to your captain because he knows things you don't.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
In Pulsar: Lost Colony, which is basically this idea except without a Star Trek license or VR, the captain can set the alert level and... that's about it. In practice this means in a battle the captain repeatedly teleports on board the enemy ship to cause chaos while the actually useful crewmembers are busy steering and operating weapons.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping they can avoid. I want someone playing as the captain, giving me an order, to actually mean something and not just be fluff that I can ignore to do my own thing. Something like... what was that old FPS mod where like, you could play as different classes and one was the 'commander' or something, and they had an RTS type view of the game so if they gave you an order to move somewhere, it was probably for a good reason and you should follow?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping they can avoid. I want someone playing as the captain, giving me an order, to actually mean something and not just be fluff that I can ignore to do my own thing. Something like... what was that old FPS mod where like, you could play as different classes and one was the 'commander' or something, and they had an RTS type view of the game so if they gave you an order to move somewhere, it was probably for a good reason and you should follow?

It's basically aping Artemis Bridge Commander completely. The captain doesn't really "do" anything except assess the situation without having to worry about their own station. Then again, if you were short on people, the Captain was the first role to be relegated into another.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, i was thinking about it and... what does the captain really do? I'm curious how they'll make him useful as a captain and not just another minigame to play. I mean he can give orders all he wants but if you were playing with a bunch of random people online and the captain sucked, why wouldn't you just listen to the helmsman, or engineer as the weapons officer? The only way I'm thinking it works is if the captain is the only one who has access to all the data, or special data about whats going on that no other station can access so you'll *have* to listen to your captain because he knows things you don't.

The captain controls the airlock

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

So I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR games (of course).

Here are some videos I haven't had time to watch yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhP9ScPL9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkIWaFwfaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tlBgYMJF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blptJbNWeh8
This is cool, though who knows how long the ones which are just 'experiences' will be. Also presumably there is no way in hell anything could look as good as those renders on PSVR.
Do we know for certain these are all PSVR exclusives?

Tom Guycot posted:

This just reminds me of Star Shitizen now. Goons what have you done to me.

e: also yeah holy lol what are Oculus even trying to accomplish at this point. Are they just terrified of PSVR and panic-buying everything they can get their hands on with no logical justification?
e2: and PSVR is out in October for $399 but we still don't have a release date or price for Touch? They have literally given away the entirety of their lead to their competitors, both times.
Good thing my Rift is finally arriving tomorrow - eBay prices are still up there! selling it on so I can justify a new GPU, I've another CV1 coming in August

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 14, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm going to be optimistic and say Touch will be $200 to buy individually, but $150 if you're pre-ordering and reserved a place in line for Touch when you bought your Rift, and retail bundles holding both Rift and Touch will be $750 as Oculus sets their sight on being able to claim they're cheaper than the Vive.

No screens, no amazingly fancy tech in this one. Just straight up production of controllers that are tracked by light sensors. These things have been around (though not as good) for a while.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not willing to put too much stock into the Serious Sam thing yet since this is the reddits mods response ""Before we go any further let’s clarify; Kotlar went to great lengths to seemingly verify his identity, posting a picture of his business card complete with an E3 pass, with a Serious Sam poster in the background. We haven’t been able to completely confirm his position ourselves, though, so take these claims with a pinch of salt right now.""

Even so though, I don't think it's a bad thing if Oculus rang them up and offered "Hey here is 2 millions dollars to sell on our store, exclusively for the next 6 months to take out some risk you might have" either.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
The date on the Kingspray Graffiti Sim, launching on Steam and still listing itself as an HTC Vive-only game, was momentarily changed from yesterday to September, and then updated to "Coming Soon". The devs, who are of course a very small indie team putting this together, haven't commented on this yet.

So naturally Reddit, garbagehole that it is, has decided that this robust evidence proves that they sold out and are going Oculus exclusive and are closing in on the stage of making threats out of spoiled, childish anger.

I mention that here only to say 1) I do hope it comes out soon because I've really been looking forward to that, and 2) I so loving appreciate these goddamn forums, <3 u all forever.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Iridium posted:

The date on the Kingspray Graffiti Sim, launching on Steam and still listing itself as an HTC Vive-only game, was momentarily changed from yesterday to September, and then updated to "Coming Soon". The devs, who are of course a very small indie team putting this together, haven't commented on this yet.

So naturally Reddit, garbagehole that it is, has decided that this robust evidence proves that they sold out and are going Oculus exclusive and are closing in on the stage of making threats out of spoiled, childish anger.

I mention that here only to say 1) I do hope it comes out soon because I've really been looking forward to that, and 2) I so loving appreciate these goddamn forums, <3 u all forever.

The Kingspray thing was funnier when reddit was just freaking out out of the blue. After the whole Giant Cop thing came to light soon after though, I'm now a bit worried that it might actually happen, which kind of sucks because I'm really looking forward to it and I'd be bummed if I had to wait longer just for some dumb exclusivity crap. Obviously people are overreacting way too much, but at the same time, I can understand why people would feel burned by it.

Anyway this forum has it's own share of VR console war bullshit so I don't think we're all that much better.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

If it's any consolation, Oculus hasn't offered me any giant sacks of money yet.

Where are my giant sacks of money, Oculus? :argh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

Kazy posted:

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I mean for exclusivity :v: just because they sent me Touch controllers doesn't mean I have to make a drat thing for them.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kazy posted:

They're waiting for you to announce Vive support on Reddit first, thereby making the suffering all the sweeter.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

cathead posted:

The Kingspray thing was funnier when reddit was just freaking out out of the blue. After the whole Giant Cop thing came to light soon after though, I'm now a bit worried that it might actually happen, which kind of sucks because I'm really looking forward to it and I'd be bummed if I had to wait longer just for some dumb exclusivity crap. Obviously people are overreacting way too much, but at the same time, I can understand why people would feel burned by it.

Anyway this forum has it's own share of VR console war bullshit so I don't think we're all that much better.

I didn't read much other than speculation about king spray, and only because the developers were just silent about the entire thing, then Giant Cop happened.

I don't think it's overreaction to be really pissy about what oculus is doing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Post on Reddit saying its Vive only, see if that makes Oculus offer up the cash sacks

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Realpost why would you buy a Rift over either of the other two? Doubly so after yesterday

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

one, two, three, four, five, six, sev- ah crap, I lost count of the lens flairs... time to start over.
One, two...

Katana Gomai posted:

Realpost why would you buy a Rift over either of the other two? Doubly so after yesterday

Well, personally I can say I like the headset better, the touch controllers look better than the vive wands to me, I don't even have more that a few feet of room so giant 4x4m or larger spaces are right out, I wasn't really looking forward to using steam's janky VR menu full time, and I liked the look of a lot of the oculus games that I wouldn't/won't be able to play with a vive. As far as the games, I've been right so far, most of them are some of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in years. Plus I'll still get to play all the games already out on steam that are steamVR anyways.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I'm not happy with the status quo of exclusives on consoles, but I know that no amount of bitching will change that so I don't try. On the other hand, the VR community is still small enough that if enough of us keep bitching about exclusives then maybe Oculus will make a change before they gently caress us all for the rest of the future of virtual reality. All the bitching about paid mods on Steam got Valve to walk back that policy, but then again Valve cares about their public perception among their actual users.

No rational consumer should be in favor of one company going around buying exclusivity. I should be able to pick which headset I like best based on the merits of the hardware, not how much money Facebook was willing to give Oculus.

Edit: Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, the Giant Spacecop devs absolutely got paid off by Oculus for the exclusivity. It is now a timed exclusive and that doesn't happen without contracts. (I don't blame the devs, who among us would turn down a fat sack of Facebook money?)

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 14, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

The hardware and software still have plusses over the Vive:
  • Higher pixel density
  • Subjectively better comfort
  • Lower price of entry if you don't understand or care about the importance of motion controls
  • "Asynchronous timewarp", a software feature that significantly improves the experience on weaker hardware
  • And of course access to great exclusive games!
But you're right, they're doing a lot to sabotage their position. I'd certainly no longer advise anyone to buy a Rift, and I think most enthusiasts are the same.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I almost don't care at all about exclusives, but going around buying up other games just to lock them to your platform isn't a nice thing to do. Consoles do that and we all know console gamers are the worst. Still though I'm not going to knock the hardware/drivers software for what the parent company is doing. If you didn't use hardware because of scummy business practices we'd all be banging rocks together because intel is the worst and lol if you use an AMD cpu.

That is to say don't ever buy anything on Oculus home.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Fredrik1 posted:

I didn't read much other than speculation about king spray, and only because the developers were just silent about the entire thing, then Giant Cop happened.

I don't think it's overreaction to be really pissy about what oculus is doing.

certianly not overreaction to be pissy about it IF that's what's happened, but since we have literally almost zero evidence, it's way WAY overreaction to move so firmly to the assumption that OR-exclusivity is what's happened. when you have three people working on a game one a comparatively new platform, delays can and will happen.

But that's the way the speculation / accusations have gone, and have gone hardcore, in that special way that pubbies seem to like to go.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Iridium posted:

certianly not overreaction to be pissy about it IF that's what's happened, but since we have literally almost zero evidence, it's way WAY overreaction to move so firmly to the assumption that OR-exclusivity is what's happened. when you have three people working on a game one a comparatively new platform, delays can and will happen.

But that's the way the speculation / accusations have gone, and have gone hardcore, in that special way that pubbies seem to like to go.

But to be fair, its not exactly speculation with Giant Cop. That game is now a timed exclusive, and its hard to imagine a scenario where they decided to do that without some kind of quid-pro-quo from Oculus. I'll reserve judgement about the Graffiti game, but I think we all have strong reason to be pissed the hell off at Oculus regardless of the specifics of that one game.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Iridium posted:

I'm talking about what actually happened with Giant Cop, exclusives don't just happen for no reason. King Spray we don't know yet since the devs have gone silent.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 14, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Katana Gomai posted:

It's a better headset and they apparently sell it under cost. So you can make oculus lose money and also never buy anything from their store.

You can't really blame the devs for this. Especially if said dev is hurting for cash and is going all in to make a game. We don't know what their situation is. Someone showing up and offering a guaranteed amount of money might be too good to pass up. I predict that all the salty people on Reddit will end up just like that anti call of duty group. They'll say they will never buy the games and will in fact pirate then instead but once it gets released on steam, they'll all be playing it.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Cojawfee posted:

You can't really blame the devs for this. Especially if said dev is hurting for cash and is going all in to make a game. We don't know what their situation is. Someone showing up and offering a guaranteed amount of money might be too good to pass up.

Absolutely, I can't speak for everyone but I know how hard it is to make/fund a game so I don't blame the developers one bit. I blame Oculus for giving them an offer that they can't refuse.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It's a better headset and they apparently sell it under cost. So you can make oculus lose money and also never buy anything from their store.

You can't really blame the devs for this. Especially if said dev is hurting for cash and is going all in to make a game. We don't know what their situation is. Someone showing up and offering a guaranteed amount of money might be too good to pass up. I predict that all the salty people on Reddit will end up just like that anti call of duty group. They'll say they will never buy the games and will in fact pirate then instead but once it gets released on steam, they'll all be playing it.

No one's blaming the devs. Pretty much all of the vitriol is directed at Oculus and/or Facebook.

edit: well obviously some nerdlords on reddit are but cmon

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
"Wow. I can't believe Oculus isn't letting their main competitor control their ecosystem and make buckets of money from software sales." - People shocked at Oculus acting like a business, I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'm sure of is, Croteam knows they'll be able to sell a lot of copies anyway, and after this stunt every vive fanboy will buy their game whether they actually like it or not. :v:

Personally, I already own all the serious sam games, because they own, and I'll buy this one too, so I'm glad they support everyone's monitors :shobon:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Randomosity posted:

"Wow. I can't believe Oculus isn't letting their main competitor control their ecosystem and make buckets of money from software sales." - People shocked at Oculus acting like a business, I guess.

Uhh, this doesn't magically make it not suck that a game that people were already looking forward to on the Vive, which was advertised with and had a DEMO for (that they sold preorders on humble bundle off of even!), suddenly did an about face and became an "exclusive".

Like, that's kind of lovely any way you slice it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

cathead posted:

No one's blaming the devs. Pretty much all of the vitriol is directed at Oculus and/or Facebook.

Check out the vive Reddit. There's people saying they will refuse to buy any game these devs ever make. That they will pirate the game when it comes out. People were saying they wish they could get refunds for games they already played because of this.

Obviously it's all hyperbole and they don't really mean it, but they are still saying it.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Randomosity posted:

We don't have to be surprised to be angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Fredrik1 posted:

I'm talking about what actually happened with Giant Cop, exclusives don't just happen for no reason. King Spray we don't know yet since the devs have gone silent.

yeah sorry, i exclusively mean Kingspray here and the freakout around that.

GiantCop is a lovely situation that is absolutely worth being pissy about. in fact imma go have to take a piss right now, an angry piss, thinking about it.