Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

NikkolasKing posted:

It was one of the first RE games I played, I liked the Partner system because it made a lot more sense and was different from than the standard Male/Female split-up formula, it looked amazing for the time, and it had some really cool music, too. RE games don't get enough credit for their soundtracks.

I acknowledge its many flaws - uninspired environments, backtracking (although this is something no fan of RE should complain about in my opinion), boring bosses, etc.. But I don't think any of these things are as bad as some people seem to.

Well it also shares a composer with RE Director's Cut. Or maybe not. I guess it depends if the guy ripped off the same dude in both games.

But fair enough.

Thank you. Seriously, I just never understood the hate for Zero. I''m not some complete weirdo - I have always hated Code Veronica and it seems like most people here agree with me on that. But CV at least has its defenders in teh more hardcore fandom. You know, the ones who shouted RE4 was a betrayal and a huge pile of poo poo.

No one defends Zero.

I wanted to like it but I just can't. The first time I played it I thought it was all right, but there were a bunch of little things that grated on my nerves in (all of two) subsequent playthroughs.

Taking all the micromanagement of a RE game and then doubling it because I now have to babysit an AI character who will use up my ammo if I let it. I have no item box so I have to juggle everything and (assuming it's my first time through the game) seriously hope I don't leave something behind that I'll need in an hour.

Enemies generally fell into one of three categories: series mainstays, new and conceptually interesting, or new and conceptually tedious to deal with. Leeches, Mimicry Marcus and the whole focus on leeches are a big example of an enemy that was tedious and overstayed its welcome. The Stinger boss fight was terrible by virtue of being locked into a ridiculously tiny arena and giving it the ability to deflect incoming fire, the Giant Bat was just a huge pain in the rear end and ditto the Queen Leech. Centurion was fairly point-and-click, but the Proto-Tyrant I thought was fairly decent. I think I've seen a few people say they had trouble with Lurkers but I don't think I've ever had to deal with them in any playthroughs. The most I've seen of them was a brief glimpse as they jumped out of the water to where I was and I continued running right past them. Plague Crawlers are basically Drain Deimos. Eh. Eliminators were a suitable replacement for the sort of mid-ground Hunter/Licker enemy, though a pain in the rear end to target most of the time.

I think where the game really lost me was the environments. I really really liked the Ecliptic Express, but going from there to the Umbrella Training Center was just ugh. By this point I was absolutely sick of "Generic Umbrella Mansion #47." Revisiting parts of Raccoon's underground lab was something I enjoyed, and I didn't have much to complain about with that except for the revised "make a bridge with crates" puzzle that frustrated me to no end.

Billy also never really won me over. I like Rebecca but Billy happens to be one of the handful of Partner Characters du Jour that I never took a shine to. In point of fact, I handicapped myself and played most of the game as Rebecca just because I don't really care for him at all.

It's far from the worst gave I've ever played but there are just so many little things that tally up to bump it way down on my ladder of RE titles, leaving it just above CV and the light gun games.

Lady Naga posted:

Monkeys? Sure. Scorpions, however...

The creepy-rear end cult Ganandos are some of the best common enemies in the entirety of the series.

suplexin' zealots for dayyyyys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

NikkolasKing posted:

Late to the party but you are close to REZero, which I like so it all works out.

I'm looking forward to RE0 as well because I want to watch a video of someone else suffering through its bullshittery after it broke me.

Re: REmake - It's a bit mean that the game didn't give you those Acid rounds Barry was supposed to give you. Could have at least made it so that he gives them to you when he leaves one of his many save room gifts.

Also, a very minor thing, but are you gonna show off how trying to open the entrance door in the Remake spawns a dog, instead of just doing that scary animation from the original? That caught me off-guard the first time I played.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RealSovietBear posted:

I'm looking forward to RE0 as well because I want to watch a video of someone else suffering through its bullshittery after it broke me.

Re: REmake - It's a bit mean that the game didn't give you those Acid rounds Barry was supposed to give you. Could have at least made it so that he gives them to you when he leaves one of his many save room gifts.

Also, a very minor thing, but are you gonna show off how trying to open the entrance door in the Remake spawns a dog, instead of just doing that scary animation from the original? That caught me off-guard the first time I played.

I was thinking about it, but dogs are a real headache to deal with. Maybe as Chris when a slight breeze doesn't topple us over.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RealSovietBear posted:

Oh that LP was fun, the sheer frustration and moments of pure disbelief just brought back so many memories of my first run through that game... :allears:

RealSovietBear posted:

I was actually watching your LP of REmake earlier and this bit was loving glorious, along with your early attempts with the knife; what on Earth were you thinking when you used that POS?!

Lady Naga posted:

dogs are a real headache to deal with
They're loving scum in REmake for many reasons, but mainly because they're weirdly resilient. Use anything less than the Shotgun and they are probably going to just ignore the hits. Shitbags.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I was actually watching your LP of REmake earlier and this bit was loving glorious, along with your early attempts with the knife; what on Earth were you thinking when you used that POS?!

I used the knife in my first playthrough of the original RE1 back in the day and I recalled it being at least somewhat useful. I think I might have just played RE1 on easy and forgot about it until I got the reality check from trying to stab a fat zombie in REmake.

Then again, watching Lady Naga's LPs so far, I guess the only useful knife in the classic-styled games is Veronica's.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RealSovietBear posted:

I guess the only useful knife in the classic-styled games is Veronica's.
Pretty much. It was about as damaging as a Beretta shot in the original game which gave it some worth, but zombies were full IDGAF about flinching from almost anything in the original so the knife was merely a useful-but-tedious-ammo-saver early on, and even then it only made a real difference in Chris' scenario. Unless of course you went around trying to stab multiple enemies or anything that wasn't a zombie, in which case it was just a quick ticket to Load Game regardless of character.

It was loving poo poo in RE2 though. Almost 20 years on and reading this:

still sends me into nerdrage.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

...to slit your own throat when you're surrounded by zombies and run out of bullets.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So since I found out that there's a mod that removes the sickly colour grading from RE5, I'd like to ask you guys if you prefer me to stick to making the games look as close to the original intent as possible or if modifications for a better viewing experience are preferred.

Here's a comparison.

Similarly: original, or HD textures for RE4?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lady Naga posted:

So since I found out that there's a mod that removes the sickly colour grading from RE5, I'd like to ask you guys if you prefer me to stick to making the games look as close to the original intent as possible or if modifications for a better viewing experience are preferred.

Here's a comparison.

HD Textures in RE4, definitely; it's not like REmake where there's notable gameplay differences, too.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I vote for modding both.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RealSovietBear posted:

I vote for modding both.

Just to be clear the RE4 HD textures aren't a mod, they're part of the re-release but most (if not all) of them are completely redone instead of just being upscaled.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Here's a comparison.

I'd say to tweak both. In particular the original color scheme in RE5 seems to come from the same school that declared that "brown = realism", so I'm all for the option that's not quite so obnoxious on that front.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's not so much that "real equals brown" as RE5 is heavily visually based on Black Hawk Down.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, do the new textures, it seems way better than the vanilla version. So that means you're using the PC version of RE5? Does this mean we're going to see co-op action between you guys? Because RE5 is best in co-op.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've actually never really minded the original colour-grading in RE5, but the more colourful look is good too, so hey; whichever! It's a great looking game, either way.

Definitely go for the HD textures in RE4 though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lady Naga posted:

Here's a comparison.

Not actually played RE5 and don't really mind either way but I think it's kinda funny someone would mod a horror game to make it more colourful and visually appealing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Not really all that fussed either way regarding both. I watch these for the chit-chat and whatnot, not the actual video quality/appearance itself :v:

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Ditto. Been through a good portion of these games a million times, I throw it on cause I like listening to the commentary in the background while I do something else.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have no idea how series veterans can watch this dreck without actually seeing what's going on on-screen considering how much commentary is "so here's [thing] we have to do here..." and sidebars about call of duty and cartoons :v:

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I have no idea how series veterans can watch this dreck without actually seeing what's going on on-screen considering how much commentary is "so here's [thing] we have to do here..." and sidebars about call of duty and cartoons :v:

You guys have just the right amount of banter+occasional discussion about what's currently going on in the game to make it entertaining without watching and the background game audio makes it relatively easy to follow along.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lady Naga posted:

same way I watch most LPs, something to put on in the background while I'm doing other work/getting ready for bed. Really I like the banter and occasionally I learn something new about a game I have played hundreds of times

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've already made my views clear RE: not shooting zombies :colbert:

But even my limited experience with REmake is enough to know that you don't ever shoot unless you need to.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

With relative ease; most of the time I don't even need to be looking at the video to know what you're doing. It's almost like listening to a podcast, but with the added bonus of actually being able to watch when you get frustrated with or start laughing at something ingame. Such as Steve's face on the status screen.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjOFd0YNo0&feature=youtu.be

someone tell the people at capcom to stop

just stop please

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"Hey, you guys have been telling us you wanted more horror for a while, so we made a grimy, oppressive game that focuses on atmosphere!"
"RARGLE BARGLE NOT MY RESIDENT EVIL"

Nothing they can do will make you 14 again, and able to approach whatever you see or play with that same untempered enthusiasm. Just try to keep an open mind until we know more about it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nicholai is clearly unhappy about being discovered after 17 years.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

"Hey, you guys have been telling us you wanted more horror for a while, so we made a grimy, oppressive game that focuses on atmosphere!"
"RARGLE BARGLE NOT MY RESIDENT EVIL"

Nothing they can do will make you 14 again, and able to approach whatever you see or play with that same untempered enthusiasm. Just try to keep an open mind until we know more about it.

I'd be more optimistic if it didn't look to me like they were trying to capitalize on Silent Hills' cancellation, much in the same way they admitted to making RE6 more action-oriented because that's what was popular at the time and that's where the money was. Let's face it, Capcom has a history of attempting to capitalize on the mainstream.

I personally have been fine with the direction the series has gone in. I'm not one of the "RE4 WAS THE DEATH OF MUH SERIES" naysayers and If I wanted to play a game that looks like Fatal Frame and Amnesia did the fusion dance, I'd go play something else. I'm reserving judgment for now, but outwardly this appears to be such a radical design change that it should be a separate series entirely.

I might also be bitter that we haven't heard anything about REmake 2 yet, and I'd settle for a cinematic trailer.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 14, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Horror isn't exactly "the mainstream" and never will be. Apparently Capcom did inherit some P.T. staff after Silent Hills got canned, but they haven't had time to hack this together since the game's cancellation was announced. I mentioned it in the main RE thread, but there was a strong vertical slice of RE7 available behind closed doors at R3 last year, under the working title "The Kitchen." I actually played it then, and I noticed Jun Takeuchi's name on its credits, but didn't think anything of it until earlier today when I recognized that ill-fated guy in the suit in the RE7 trailer.

If there's a bandwagon involved at all, I'd imagine it's Capcom's own, since they're deliberately invoking a lot of the atmosphere of the original Spencer mansion.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, it just seems too horror in that preview. Then again I've never really seen trailers for Resident Evil games, and usually if I do it has been for the remakes so I already know the game they are advertising. I can understand some people not enjoying what they showed because it does feel a bit too close to a Silent Hill aesthetic and that is not something that I feel fits into Resident Evil, especially classic Resident Evil since they keep saying they are going back to their roots with this. To me going back to their roots means corny, B movie dialogue, plots, visuals. To me Resident Evil is a suspenseful game to play that is lightened every so often because of cheesy dialogue but the trailer seemed like they were going all serious with the horror aesthetic.

We shall have to wait and see what more comes up though

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't think it's an accident that the HD Remaster of the REmake sold like loving crazy, and then a year and a half later we're looking at an intensely grimy, synesthetic game based around exploration and oblique puzzle solutions.

The thing is that as far as Capcom's concerned, their roots were not in knowing B-movie camp. There's a lot of it in RE4, although you can argue back and forth for a while about how much of it is actually deliberate, but everything in the original games, and RE5 and RE6, is played absolutely straight. They were trying to make Japanese horror, and so when people tell them financially and verbally for several years to "go back to their roots," they decided to make Japanese horror. Quelle loving surprise.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Demo is up on the PSN store and I thought it was pretty creepy and cool. Doesn't really feel too much like RE though. If you play it make sure to play it twice and try to sequence break!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I mean honestly that trailer is a really good tone piece and this seems to be the Texas Chainsaw Massacre game I never knew I wanted.

Here's my very basic plot outline that's maybe a quarter based on what we've seen in the trailer and the rest is just purely the kind of game I want: Umbrella Corp (or Umbrella in everything but name) has a secret testing facility in the Bayou. They're testing dangerous chemical stuff, a family gets infected by it, become weird, dangerous cannibal people. Dumbass ghost investigators assume it's spookytimes, go to investigate, get horribly murdered. Basically just take the very basic outline for RE1's plot and play with it a bit.

I hope they release a staff roll of who's working on this soon, it's too bad Mikami's too busy with mediocre RE4 homages to play around with this project.

Okay yeah after watching the demo (assuming this isn't just another tone-setting preview like PT) this is definitely Resident Chainsaw Massacre, which sounds dope as gently caress.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 14, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0REOEBYaEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fn1zWg1I_8

:filez:
Plant 42 Report
Organic Chemistry Lab Experiment

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 15, 2016

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I'm still not sold on it and I have to say a large part of why it's got my jimmies rustled (and considering what thread I'm in and all the poo poo we've thrown at it I didn't think I needed to explain) is precisely because it's in first person. I guess it's possible that Survivor was so bad it irreparably damaged my ability to accept any deviations from REs core gameplay, but there you go. I suppose it's always possible that things will change some six months on or that the demo was in first person just to sell the spoopy factor but I doubt it. Call me stupid, call me stubborn, but unless something major happens to win me over I'll probably be passing on it. Maybe if I could actually play the demo my opinion would change. I dunno.

I will say this, though. For those who haven't noticed the game's subtitle is Biohazard. Resident Evil (stylized 7): Biohazard. Anyone care to guess what the full Japanese title is? If you guessed Biohazard (stylized 7): Resident Evil, you'd be right.

I thought that was pretty cute.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

I'm still not sold on it and I have to say a large part of why it's got my jimmies rustled (and considering what thread I'm in and all the poo poo we've thrown at it I didn't think I needed to explain) is precisely because it's in first person. I guess it's possible that Survivor was so bad it irreparably damaged my ability to accept any deviations from REs core gameplay, but there you go. I suppose it's always possible that things will change some six months on or that the demo was in first person just to sell the spoopy factor but I doubt it. Call me stupid, call me stubborn, but unless something major happens to win me over I'll probably be passing on it. Maybe if I could actually play the demo my opinion would change. I dunno.

I will say this, though. For those who haven't noticed the game's subtitle is Biohazard. Resident Evil (stylized 7): Biohazard. Anyone care to guess what the full Japanese title is? If you guessed Biohazard (stylized 7): Resident Evil, you'd be right.

I thought that was pretty cute.

A change to first person is about as major a deviation from RE's core gameplay as it was to turn it into an over the shoulder shooter, except this time it's actually a more faithful adaptation of the series since it still keeps the first game's theming.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

A change to first person is about as major a deviation from RE's core gameplay as it was to turn it into an over the shoulder shooter, except this time it's actually a more faithful adaptation of the series since it still keeps the first game's theming.

Which I was also very resistant to initially, but they brought back a familiar face to ease us into things. Right now, everything is different and new so there's not much there that has me saying: "Okay this is pretty different but let's see where it goes."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Which I was also very resistant to initially, but they brought back a familiar face to ease us into things. Right now, everything is different and new so there's not much there that has me saying: "Okay this is pretty different but let's see where it goes."

Literally the worst thing they could've done with RE7 is bring back a "familiar face" and all the series' anime-as-gently caress canon baggage, a fresh reboot is exactly what is needed right now.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lady Naga posted:

Literally the worst thing they could've done with RE7 is bring back a "familiar face" and all the series' anime-as-gently caress canon baggage, a fresh reboot is exactly what is needed right now.

Yup, throw out the old characters and start again, all the character baggage was really starting to drag things down when RE6 lurched onto the scene.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not--Holy crap, I'm not saying they should have used classic characters for 7 either, I'm just using it as an example of a tie back to the series as a whole.

Judge Tesla posted:

Yup, throw out the old characters and start again, all the character baggage was really starting to drag things down when RE6 lurched onto the scene.

I don't have a problem with that at all. I think it was Lunethex that said RE6 would've been a lot better if it was just the story of Jake and Sherry (sure Sherry is a returning character but she's barely had a presence in the series and may as well not have existed at all for the purposes of this hypothetical) and I agree wholeheartedly. I just felt like going by the trailer, the game looks like it's gone so far past reboot territory to be considered a completely different game entirely which is what has me anxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I imagine the title on RE7 has something to do with the initial outbreak. Wasn't it mentioned in RE1 about a family that was found mutilated and partially eaten? Or am I thinking of something different.

I had a chance to play the demo with a buddy of mine, and it seems that it would benefit more to being its own IP. Maybe sharing the same universe as Resident Evil. But it doesn't feel like it should be directly tied to RE. If that makes sense?

It's really fun, and it feels like PT and Outlast got drunk, made funny business in the back of a pickup truck and this was the result.

• Locked thread