Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/MaikiSherman/status/742540042753605632
https://twitter.com/MaikiSherman/status/742571102736519168
https://twitter.com/MaikiSherman/status/742571660247597056

Weird how this keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The shooter wasn't an immigrant. Good work, Winston.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The shooter wasn't an immigrant. Good work, Winston.

He knows, he's literally asking for immigration screening to cover the political beliefs and mental health of any future children you might have

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Varkk posted:

Police once again showing they don't understand the evidence act and now a domestic abuse case will be thrown out as a result.
http://i.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/80929766/police-iphone-interviews-of-domestic-violence-complainants-unplayable-in-court

They were warned before going down this road this will happen and are now looking to get the law changed rather than do it correctly. We have rules for the admissibility of evidence for good reasons.

To be fair, it does sound like the law is a bit out of date with respect to modern technology, and the reasons behind why they were filming statements on site rather than later on are also perfectly valid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think the bigger issue is that his ruling means the body cams supposed to protect us from police are now completely toothless.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I think the bigger issue is that his ruling means the body cams supposed to protect us from police are now completely toothless.

Binkenstein posted:

To be fair, it does sound like the law is a bit out of date with respect to modern technology, and the reasons behind why they were filming statements on site rather than later on are also perfectly valid.

The thing is there is already well established protocols for handling evidence of this manner. But the police rushed in to something ignoring these rules and protocols and being surprised when it bit them, again. They were even warned before doing it that it would not be admissible in court. Given that this is one of their main areas of operation you would think they would know to get it right every time. There is no reason why they can't gather and store this evidence in a way consistent with the Evidence Act but they didn't in the rush to put this in the field.

Once again these rules were put in place for good reasons and we shouldn't dismantle them because it will be easier to do so.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They were warned and they had very good reason to believe that it wouldn't be an issue - because by Ministry of Justice decree that's exactly how the taser footage has been treated for the last six years, and none of the court cases involving that footage have challenged it under the Evidence Act because the decision largely rests on an incomplete idea of what the determination of a "master copy" is in a digital age.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 15, 2016

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I am not that comfortable that the chain of evidence involves retrieving the evidence from a server owned by a private company in a different country. If they had copied the video off the iPhone back at the office, then that's a different story.

It loving sucks that the only way to punish the police is to punish a victim of a crime by disallowing evidence as that denies justice to the victim. The police are to blame here though, but, they don't suffer any real consequences!

But to allow the evidence also denies justice to the accused, they have a right to a fair trial after all.

Maybe the loss of justice for the victims should be weighed up against the loss of justice for the accused somehow - it's unlikely that the evidence was tampered with, so allow the evidence, and come up with a different way to persuade the police to follow the loving law.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

klen dool posted:

I am not that comfortable that the chain of evidence involves retrieving the evidence from a server owned by a private company in a different country. If they had copied the video off the iPhone back at the office, then that's a different story.

It loving sucks that the only way to punish the police is to punish a victim of a crime by disallowing evidence as that denies justice to the victim. The police are to blame here though, but, they don't suffer any real consequences!

But to allow the evidence also denies justice to the accused, they have a right to a fair trial after all.

Maybe the loss of justice for the victims should be weighed up against the loss of justice for the accused somehow - it's unlikely that the evidence was tampered with, so allow the evidence, and come up with a different way to persuade the police to follow the loving law.

The reason why the footage is being used is because the victim will not testify and wants charges dropped.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

exmachina posted:

The reason why the footage is being used is because the victim will not testify and wants charges dropped.

Yeah, I read the article as well. Whats your point?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

klen dool posted:

Yeah, I read the article as well. Whats your point?

I am not saying that the victim is not just that or that the other party does not deserve to be punished but this is the NZP problem and the court process needs to be left alone.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

exmachina posted:

I am not saying that the victim is not just that or that the other party does not deserve to be punished but this is the NZP problem and the court process needs to be left alone.

It is absolutely an NZP problem, I 100% agree. The court process is there to protect and achieve the ideals we want in our justice system, but I don't think we should leave processes up on a pedestal never to be touched - surely some brainy fuckers can figure out a way to achieve justice for both the victim and the criminal while adhering to the ideals we want to achieve? The process is merely a tool to render justice, not the justice itself.

Imagine that the police were able to conclusively prove than in this instance the video has not been tampered with. The justice system could proceed to trial, and everyone is happy, except the police who perhaps get punished somehow. Perhaps everyone involved in this debacle should be prosecuted.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Donald Trump is speaking literally 3 blocks away from my apt at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta in two hours

Traffic is insane and throngs of people already there to be seen

countdown to bomb attack nuke sarin chemical jihad isis trigger device detonation etc.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

klen dool posted:

It is absolutely an NZP problem, I 100% agree. The court process is there to protect and achieve the ideals we want in our justice system, but I don't think we should leave processes up on a pedestal never to be touched - surely some brainy fuckers can figure out a way to achieve justice for both the victim and the criminal while adhering to the ideals we want to achieve? The process is merely a tool to render justice, not the justice itself.

Imagine that the police were able to conclusively prove than in this instance the video has not been tampered with. The justice system could proceed to trial, and everyone is happy, except the police who perhaps get punished somehow. Perhaps everyone involved in this debacle should be prosecuted.

No the point is is that in law you decide something once and then that is now how it goes. So they need the "correct procedure" to be infallible. I would accept it if the hardware stayed in one officer's possession until it could be uploaded to police servers until trial. The way our system works we must let this one go; get a better process, police, and good luck next time

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Jacobin posted:

Donald Trump is speaking literally 3 blocks away from my apt at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta in two hours

Traffic is insane and throngs of people already there to be seen

countdown to bomb attack nuke sarin chemical jihad isis trigger device detonation etc.

Quite a contrast to how things are done in our poky little island

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/81138922/government-has-used-the-financial-veto-to-stop-an-extension-to-paid-parental-leave

quote:

"Treasury estimates the cost of this legislation amounts to $278 million over the next four years, a significant extra - unbudgeted - cost," English said.

So $278m over 4 years ($69.5m/year) is too expensive but $3b of tax cuts is perfectly fine in an election year?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Yes, keep up.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

exmachina posted:

No the point is is that in law you decide something once and then that is now how it goes. So they need the "correct procedure" to be infallible. I would accept it if the hardware stayed in one officer's possession until it could be uploaded to police servers until trial. The way our system works we must let this one go; get a better process, police, and good luck next time

No procedure is the infallible no matter who much you want it to be, and the system that insists it must be infallible is a system that cannot deliver justice consistently.

Besides, we've seen this govt retroactively change the system to validate past transgressions when it suits them, and right or wrong they should do it this time. Although we know they wont because they hate poor people and women.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think Amy Adams has gone on record saying they will change the law to allow it. The danger is that they will gently caress it up and make it overly broad and loosen the evidence requirements for police. Or mandate using a particular company's product/service which can be changed at any time without notice. Basically if there is a way to make the situation worse then they will find it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Varkk posted:

I think Amy Adams has gone on record saying they will change the law to allow it. The danger is that they will gently caress it up and make it overly broad and loosen the evidence requirements for police. Or mandate using a particular company's product/service which can be changed at any time without notice. Basically if there is a way to make the situation worse then they will find it.

I am worried about this as well, they won't change it to be better - they'll change it to be worse because lazy

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

exmachina posted:

Speaking of Police process and procedures http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/81192231/loaded-gun-left-in-parliament-bathroom-police-say.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stuff posted:

In a statement, police said: "As soon as police were made aware that the firearm had been left in the bathroom, staff attended and recovered it from the occupant, and we would like to thank them for their assistance.

Ahahahahahahahahaaaaa.

"Sir please slide the firearm under the stall door, thank you for your assistance and don't forget to wash your hands!"

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

In other news: Treasury paid research on the 90 day employment trial law

A couple paragraphs in and you get this beauty:

John Key posted:

"You can have a piece of academic research but it's quite different from the small cafe owner whose money is on the line, who is taking the risks and who actually rely on this kind of policy.

"We are very comfortable that the law is working, we think it is effective, and we just fundamentally disagree with the research."

Yes, indeed, anecdotes are much more effective measures of efficacy of policy than actual research.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Go easy on John Key and unsourced Anecdotes; they got him elected, after all.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It does seem crazy that a reduction in job security would negatively effect consumer confidence when so many good kiwi battlers are just doing their best to get by at the expense of lower socio economic groups.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Trompe le Monde posted:

In other news: Treasury paid research on the 90 day employment trial law

A couple paragraphs in and you get this beauty:

Yes, indeed, anecdotes are much more effective measures of efficacy of policy than actual research.

Goddamn he is a complete wanker.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

klen dool posted:

Goddamn he is a complete wanker.

John Key Derangement Syndrome strikes again. :rolleyes:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Oh yeah

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Theyve vetoed the parental leave bill now, too :(

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I remember a debate at in the living room of a uni flat about this topic when this was going through. My good friend, son of a building contractor, just flatly reasoned the policy as "If your poo poo and you cant last 90 days, you shouldn't have the job" and just wouldn't take into consideration wider policy effects or that there would be exploitive use of the policy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

WarpedNaba posted:

Go easy on John Key and unsourced Anecdotes; they got him elected, after all.

An anecdote is still a presumably true story about actual events. Key doesn't even refer to an actual cafe owner so this isn't even an anecdote, he's literally just making poo poo up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The National Party in 2008 posted:

Workplace policy: expanding job opportunities
Thursday, 24 July 2008, 9:44 am
Press Release: New Zealand National Party

John Key MP
National Party Leader

24 July 2008

Workplace policy: expanding job opportunities

National's Employment & Workplace Relations policy will expand job opportunities for those having difficulty getting work and let businesses grow, says National Party Leader John Key.

"National believes employment law should treat employees and employers fairly, expand opportunities for those having difficulty getting work, increase flexibility, and let businesses grow.

"We will introduce a 90-day trial period for new staff, by agreement between the employer and employee, in businesses with fewer than 20 people. This will give those having difficulty getting work - like young, inexperienced people or new immigrants - a better chance at a job.

"As well, we want businesses considering expansion to actually take that step and give a prospective worker a chance. During the trial period, either party may terminate the employment relationship for performance without a personal grievance claim being brought.

"We will have safeguards for workers. Good-faith provisions will still apply, as will rights to sick leave, holidays, and health and safety provisions. Rules of natural justice and human rights legislation will apply. Mediation will be available in disputes, and employers won't be able to hire and fire the same employee every 90 days."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0807/S00433.htm

The National Party posted:

90-Day Trial Period Extended To All Employers
Sunday, 18 July 2010, 11:42 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government

90-Day Trial Period Extended To All Employers

The 90-day trial period is to be extended to enable all employers and new employees to have the chance to benefit from it, says Minister of Labour Kate Wilkinson.

The extension is among planned changes to the Employment Relations Act 2000 that Prime Minister John Key announced today in a speech to the National Party Conference.

The Government is focused on growing a stronger economy and creating more jobs for New Zealand families,” says Ms Wilkinson.

“There are a lot of people looking for work and the changes announced today will help boost employer confidence and encourage them to take on more staff.”

Ms Wilkinson says a Department of Labour evaluation of the trial period showed it had been beneficial for both employers and employees.

“The evaluation showed that 40 percent of employers who had hired someone on a trial period said it was unlikely they would have taken on new employees without it.

“Trial periods were introduced to encourage employers to take on new staff and I’m pleased to see this is occurring.

“It’s also great to see that by far the majority – at least 74 percent – of people employed on a trial period have maintained their employment. It’s clear this law is a win-win for employers and employees. Extending it will give all employers and potential employees the chance to benefit from it.”

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1007/S00268/90-day-trial-period-extended-to-all-employers.htm

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

National are hitting those 3rd term road bumps where they've been in power long enough for the effects of their major policies to start being visible. I kind of love it

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The issue seems to be that their voters are running to NZF instead of Labour. This next election is gonna be a loving mess.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

For 20 years Teina Pora has received free education if he wanted it, free power and heating, free counselling if he wanted, free and fast healthcare if needed, unlike the general public, free recreation and television, free food and a free roof over his head at a cost to the taxpayer of, at a guess, around 1.6million NZD.

He is now set to receive around 2million in compensation. A total of 3.6million of taxpayers money.

This does not include the cost of the police's time, legal costs at the time and all appeal costs, all footed by the taxpayer.

All this because he gave a false confession to the police and only years later was it decided he had fetal alcohol syndrome and was not apparently responsible for his actions. Actions which have, and will, cost the taxpayers millions let alone wasting police time and side-tracking them from finding the real killer at the time.

I suspect many of the law-abiding working poor wish they could have received the same consideration and benefits. I seriously doubt his life has been as hard as theirs. The working poor live their lives in a different form of captivity. However, it is still captivity.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The LoB shtick only works in PYF. Source your quotes.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Spiteski posted:

For 20 years Teina Pora has received free education if he wanted it, free power and heating, free counselling if he wanted, free and fast healthcare if needed, unlike the general public, free recreation and television, free food and a free roof over his head at a cost to the taxpayer of, at a guess, around 1.6million NZD.

He is now set to receive around 2million in compensation. A total of 3.6million of taxpayers money.

This does not include the cost of the police's time, legal costs at the time and all appeal costs, all footed by the taxpayer.

All this because he gave a false confession to the police and only years later was it decided he had fetal alcohol syndrome and was not apparently responsible for his actions. Actions which have, and will, cost the taxpayers millions let alone wasting police time and side-tracking them from finding the real killer at the time.

I suspect many of the law-abiding working poor wish they could have received the same consideration and benefits. I seriously doubt his life has been as hard as theirs. The working poor live their lives in a different form of captivity. However, it is still captivity.

Are you for real?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

And yet no argument to simply jail the working poor.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

An anecdote is still a presumably true story about actual events. Key doesn't even refer to an actual cafe owner so this isn't even an anecdote, he's literally just making poo poo up.

the gipper school of discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Too right mate. And you know what, let's be honest, he's probably guilty of some other crime anyway isn't he? I don't really know why they let him out at all.

• Locked thread