Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's not exactly hyperbole when people say the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was the highlight of the game until Shivering Isles came out. It starts off with simple assassination jobs, including a fun one where you have to sneakily murder people one by one in a supposed "haunted" manor and plant evidence to make it look like others did it while you try to improve your disposition with them so they'll never suspect you which ends in the last survivors going insane and trying to break out of the manor, to tracking down a serial killer who has a very unhealthy attachment with his mother who is operating outside the Dark Brotherhood interests. If nothing else, the questline was pretty memorable.

The Thieves Guild quests were pretty good too because you had to do actual heists in it and the final heist where you steal an Elder Scroll is pretty memorable. The rest are kind of really forgettable though, The Fighters Quests highlight being a section where you get drugged and fend off attackers only to come off the effects and realized you slaughtered innocents instead and the Mage Quests are just missed opportunities and potential. Fighting Mannimarco should be awesome but it ends up a bit of a wet fart despite a nice build up of investigating necromancy and various crypts.

I actually really liked the build-up to the Oblivion Mages Guild, when you're getting all the recommendations from the local guild halls. I really enjoyed the Anvil one where you pretend to be a traveling merchant to entice that rogue mage to attack :shobon: It was unfortunate that after you join the university proper it basically becomes 'go dungeon, kill necromancers' all the way up until the end.

Also, did anyone not have that bug where the mages at the university became locked in eternal combat with the imperial guards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

dpbjinc posted:

Important bit to note there. Not everyone has all the DLC.

Also, they already have a high-res texture pack in the store (released a few months after the game for free). What else will they be adding?

God rays and FOV

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Funnily enough, you can complete your The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition on Steam for $27.49, which includes all three DLC packages, discounted by 39%!

So, not quite tenbux, but I'll at least get a chance to check out Solstheim while I wait!

Likely for a lot less if willing to wait a few days, as rumor has it a big Steam sale is coming on the 20 somethingth of this month.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Also, none of the mages actually give a poo poo if you use black soul gems right in front of them, as long as you do it to necromancers. Hell, you can use a black soul gem on Mannimarco. Nobody cares, despite every single one of them stressing that necromancy is very banned.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Can you play the expansions in OpenMW?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's free dude.

Well poo poo. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dragonborn is totally worth it dude.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

dpbjinc posted:

Also, none of the mages actually give a poo poo if you use black soul gems right in front of them, as long as you do it to necromancers. Hell, you can use a black soul gem on Mannimarco. Nobody cares, despite every single one of them stressing that necromancy is very banned.

They also don't give a crap that necromancy is banned, unless all those Summon Skeleton and Zombie spells that they have don't count.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i am tim! posted:

They also don't give a crap that necromancy is banned, unless all those Summon Skeleton and Zombie spells that they have don't count.

They're summon spells, and therefore aren't necromancy. You summon a projection of skeletons and zombies that already exist somewhere, you don't create them.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So it's OK to utilize the results of somebody else's forbidden rituals. Gotcha.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No these are naturally occurring free-range cruelty-free skeletons, with an advanced society and culture.

Alternatively, you're summoning the skeleton of somebody who is currently alive, so they're collapsed in a boneless heap while the spell is active!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's technically correct! The best kind.

Conjuration in general is kind of iffy. If you're not summoning animated dead bodies from somewhere else, you're binding probably sentient demons to your will and using them as weapons and servants.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

They're summon spells, and therefore aren't necromancy. You summon a projection of skeletons and zombies that already exist somewhere, you don't create them.

You can still use Mannimarco's reanimation staff, no problem.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

greententacle posted:

Can you play the expansions in OpenMW?

Yes. OpenMW is very good.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

If you buy all the DLC to get the new graphics, you don't have to install them right? I don't think I want Dawnguard.

Come to think of it, I don't know if I want new graphics either. But it can't hurt I suppose.

Ninja edit: I went to uesp because I couldn't rembember the name of Dawnguard. What the hell happened to the layout of that site? It used to be so clear, now it's as dense and weird as any other wiki.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dawnguard was pretty fun homie

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's technically correct! The best kind.

Conjuration in general is kind of iffy. If you're not summoning animated dead bodies from somewhere else, you're binding probably sentient demons to your will and using them as weapons and servants.

There are people in the game who don't like conjuration for this very reason. Trayvond in Cheydinhal will discuss this if you ask him about it.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If you buy all the DLC to get the new graphics, you don't have to install them right? I don't think I want Dawnguard.

Come to think of it, I don't know if I want new graphics either. But it can't hurt I suppose.

Ninja edit: I went to uesp because I couldn't rembember the name of Dawnguard. What the hell happened to the layout of that site? It used to be so clear, now it's as dense and weird as any other wiki.

You should be able to disable the DLC, even if it's installed.

UESP is being DoSed, which is messing with their CSS files. Hold Shift, then refresh the page to reload the layout.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah use a mod to turn the vampire attacks off because just the incidental stuff Dawnguard adds in pretty cool.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Dawnguard added a limited, in-game version of ~showracemenu, which I've missed since changing platforms to PC, although the command itself was much more powerful (albeit character breaking).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it worth holding off progressing the main-plot if I want to do most of the side-missions in the base game without being interrupted? Like never encountering Dragons or Vampires who might kill valuable NPCs by mistake, or that Miraak rear end in a top hat whom I hear likes to steal your poo poo? Playing with all DLC.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

After playing Witcher 3 I just don't know if I could take it, from what I've heard. The plotholes, the endless dungeon crawls, the meaningless choices. :ohdear:

But, yeah, if I buy it I'll try it out of course. With the random vampire attacks turned off.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it worth holding off progressing the main-plot if I want to do most of the side-missions in the base game without being interrupted? Like never encountering Dragons or Vampires who might kill valuable NPCs by mistake, or that Miraak rear end in a top hat whom I hear likes to steal your poo poo? Playing with all DLC.

Dawnguard doesn't really mess with essential NPCs afaik. There are little attacks in townships but they rarely kill anyone, they just stealth around while the entire guard freaks out and starts pelting them with arrows. Very much like thieves in Riften. I do know that eventually they destroy the Vigilant of Stendarr headquarters, but that makes very little difference in gameplay unless you were using it to farm daedra hearts like a cheesing jerk.

That said, you can progress in the main quest as far as retrieving the Dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow to avoid dragon encounters, but you'll be struggling with certain tasks that involve talking to him. In situations like the Civil War, he will outright refuse to speak with you until you progress that part of the main quest.

Miraak stealing poo poo is news to me, I figured Dragonborn was much like Dawnguard in that it wouldn't railroad you into doing the questline outside of maybe pestering you with random assaults, much like the Tribunal expansion for Morrowind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I love morrowind and think skyrim is eh
but I love the dragonborn solstheim more than morrowind solstheim

am I crazy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People heavily exaggerate the effect of those Dawnguard vampire attacks. Sometimes I eventually lose the Whiterun blacksmith. Sometimes. And by the time I possibly do, there's much better places to craft.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

No, Morrowind Solthseim is kinda empty, and the main story quest isn't all that much to write home about. It kinda felt like a vehicle to add lycanthropy, but with a ton of HP sponge enemies to slog through. Also there's no Neloth.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The best part about Dawnguard is that the whole point of the good choices is to prevent a guy from blotting out the sun because it would be the most disastrous thing to ever happen then when it's done you can ask the lady for arrows that will blot out the sun and she's more than happy to make them for you. Then you blot out the sun, and it's spooky and people comment that it seems bad, then it goes back to normal and everything is fine.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Chief Savage Man posted:

The best part about Dawnguard is that the whole point of the good choices is to prevent a guy from blotting out the sun because it would be the most disastrous thing to ever happen then when it's done you can ask the lady for arrows that will blot out the sun and she's more than happy to make them for you. Then you blot out the sun, and it's spooky and people comment that it seems bad, then it goes back to normal and everything is fine.

I think the sun going all red and spooky for a couple of hours every once in a while would barely even phase most residents of Tamriel. Like oh yeah, sun went out. Must be a Tuesday.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lycus posted:

People heavily exaggerate the effect of those Dawnguard vampire attacks. Sometimes I eventually lose the Whiterun blacksmith. Sometimes. And by the time I possibly do, there's much better places to craft.

This is more important than you think. I built up quite an attachment to that lady grinding out Iron Daggers. If this game had the same romance system as Dragons Dogma she would definitely be my SO.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Seriously Bethesda, a HD remake of Skyrim? Talk about a total letdown..

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

remusclaw posted:

This is more important than you think. I built up quite an attachment to that lady grinding out Iron Daggers. If this game had the same romance system as Dragons Dogma she would definitely be my SO.

She's married, dude.

Burns
May 10, 2008

It looks like Skyrim remastered won't have any new features for PC. Seems like its doing exactly what we have on PC anyway.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jeff Goldblum posted:

She's married, dude.

So's the Dragonborn. Prude.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Burns posted:

It looks like Skyrim remastered won't have any new features for PC. Seems like its doing exactly what we have on PC anyway.

Well in theory, the shader effects and other stuff the remastered version has should handle all the effects ENB does but is much less taxing on performance, since Bethesda have access to the source code and can add it natively and all. Of course, this is taking into account that Bethesda are competent at anything they do, which they aren't, so I'm not surprised if it completely tanks performance while an ENB in the original game works fine. It should also be a 64-bit executable which means it can use more memory than the 4GB limit Skyrim currently has. But yeah, that's about all that will be new to PC players.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Questions for a returning player to Skyrim, rolling a new character in a game with all DLC and ease-of-use mods:

What is the recommended priority for choosing between Health, Magicka, and Stamina?

Which Skill Trees overlap in utility so I'm best of investing in just one? Which Skill Trees should I avoid entirely? I'm not leveling beyond 81.

What Skills are best raised through Skill Trainers?

Do I lose out for doing certain quests at a high or a low level?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mortimer posted:

I love morrowind and think skyrim is eh
but I love the dragonborn solstheim more than morrowind solstheim

am I crazy

Morrowind Solstheim is basically a real big pristine forest with not a lot going on but really annoyingly tough enemies everywhere so no, not crazy at all.

Maybe one day I'll actually stick around long enough in a Morrowind playthrough to actually get to and do Tribunal, usually I work my way through the main quest and maybe dink around in Solstheim a bit but that's usually about it.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I'd really like to finally finish a MW play through but I just can't do it vanilla and mods confuse the poo poo out of me and I don't have the patience to have 500+ mods on the go.

OpenMW seems to be the best option, but what about Tamriel Rebuilt? Or Skywind? or any of the other myriad recreations? Last time I checked mods for this was 2013 and MGE was cool

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Miraak stealing poo poo is news to me,

If you start the questline, Miraak will snipe the souls from any dragon you kill.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Miraak stealing poo poo is news to me, I figured Dragonborn was much like Dawnguard in that it wouldn't railroad you into doing the questline outside of maybe pestering you with random assaults, much like the Tribunal expansion for Morrowind.
Miraak will always steal the soul of the first dragon you kill after the Dragonborn main quest is started and afterwards has a 25% chance of doing so whenever you kill another dragon.
So if you luck out, you'll never have the guy show up and steal more souls from you before you are done with Dragonborn. :v:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Berke Negri posted:

Morrowind Solstheim is basically a real big pristine forest with not a lot going on but really annoyingly tough enemies everywhere so no, not crazy at all.

Maybe one day I'll actually stick around long enough in a Morrowind playthrough to actually get to and do Tribunal, usually I work my way through the main quest and maybe dink around in Solstheim a bit but that's usually about it.

Lol, if you think Solstheim had annoyingly tough enemies and a map with nothing going on, boy howdy are you in for a treat with Tribunal. Hope you like sewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like it (e: Miraak stealing your dragon souls) because it interferes with the core mechanics and establishes Miraak as a credible threat through gameplay.

Do you get the souls back when you kill him?