Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I bought half life day one at be games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Man, all of you talking about old video cards brings on some nostalgia. The first video card I ever got was an Elsa Erazor II (RIVA TNT) that I convinced my dad to buy for me because it was on sale. I think we had the PCI version, though. This was the box (except PCI instead of AGP, I'm pretty sure):

I think we had just moved to a K6-2 400 around that time, too. I had seen and played Jedi Knight on a good quality, fast CRT at the local game store ("Microplay") and had started playing the demo on a regular basis, and wanted to experience those amazing accelerated graphics at home. Just talking about it makes me want to go and play JK again. I have some seriously great memories thanks to that game and the community that sprouted up around it.

I honestly don't remember what I moved to from there. I think a Radeon SDR might have been the first card I bought with my own money, which then had to be replaced with either a Radeon 7000 or 7200 (one of which was replaced by the other, I don't remember the order), then eventually a Radeon 9600 XT, 8800 GTS (320 MB version), GTX 460, GTX 580, and a GTX 770. I'm waiting on more RX 480 details to see if it's any good before grabbing either it or a 1070. $900+ (CAD) for a 1080 is too rich for my blood.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Phoneposting, so excuse my brevity, but this is also mandatory reading on DX12/Vulkan:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

The tl;dr here is that the current driver model is a "leaky abstraction" (term of art) and attempts to make something inherently complicated (multithreaded apps, multiple GPUs each with their own separate memory/processor/etc) look simple (one giant fast GPU with a single-threaded API). This is a gigantic loving pain for everyone involved - gamedevs have no idea what the "right" thing to do is and don't have the powers they need, and also turn out horrifically broken code because they know the driver guys will fix it so NVIDIA or AMD doesn't have "broken drivers" on launch day. Driver devs get to rewrite games from within the driver stack to fix code so it runs let alone hits the fast paths, while maintaining a multimillion line monstrosity of their own. DX12 and Vulkan throw that whole model out - they expose the complexity to the developer but also give the tools to write good code without divine Driver Team intervention. The idea is that work will be divided - some smart guys will write game engines and handle this complexity for you, and gamedevs will be writing games on top of Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, or something like that.

Do the game devs and engine authors like this model, or do they feel it's just AMD/Microsoft pushing complexity up the stack?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Chuu posted:

Do the game devs and engine authors like this model, or do they feel it's just AMD/Microsoft pushing complexity up the stack?

Croteam likes it, but they're a rarity in that they happen to be a competent PC-first developer

https://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/412447331651720139/

It's be nice if Vulkan emerges as a first-party API like when OpenGL wasn't just id's trademark, mostly because Microsoft doesn't remember what happened to the last promising API they made exclusive to an OS that the internet generates new hate for daily

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Chuu posted:

Engine Authors (Dice, Epic, etc.) like it because it pushes things up the stack, giving companies like them with the resources to devote to new engine infrastructure more ability to squeeze out perf and differentiate, and provide added value to a client studio who doesn't have time to work at that low of a level.

Game developers seem varyingly psyched or indifferent depending on how much technical budget they are willing to devote to get it right versus just making a game with the higher level APIs. The general theme from GDC seemed to be "this is how we moved out engine to DX12. We just about broke even vOv" but the tech is still young so it may get within reach for more first party engines before long.

Either way, the dx11 (or its model) is going to live on for a long while because the low level APIs just aren't needed or worth the hassle for a ton of applications.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 14, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Vulkan will have more use for mobile applications though, and Vulkan can work with OSX and iOS despite Apples idiocy with Metal. If it's relatively easy to port Vulkan based applications from one ISA to another that alone should strengthen it's overall usage, while DX12 would basically languish because porting between Vulkan and DX12 is a known and not particularly intensive thing.

Also my bet on the SP count for the RX470 is 1792SP, which should put it, based on the RX480, just below a 970. Also means there should be 512SPs between each card.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FaustianQ posted:

Also my bet on the SP count for the RX470 is 1792SP, which should put it, based on the RX480, just below a 970. Also means there should be 512SPs between each card.

It makes sense for the 470 to be < 970 since otherwise they would have been touting it as the VR ready option.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
If you're an engine programmer, the new APIs are a godsend. Otherwise, it's not your problem and why would you care about somebody else's problem?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For better or for ill, someone analogized to me previous versions of DX and OpenGL as akin to that old math puzzle where you're given four 4s, and had to construct the numbers from 0 - 10 using any combination of math operators and only those four 4s.

So, you'd start doing:

0: 44 - 44
1: (44/44)
2: (4/4) + (4/4)
3: ((4*4)-4 / 4)

And so forth, saying that the problem was that you were given very few simplistic tools with which to do very exacting, very complex things. Even to the point where there are multiple ways to achieve the same result, like how 3 could also be solved as (4 - 4^(4 - 4)).

He then compared the new APIs as being a spec sheet saying "write the numbers from 0 through 10 using scientific notation to three decimal places."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Naffer posted:

Half life was released in 1998, the same year the Voodoo 2 was released.
I got Command and Conquer Red Alert for Christmas in 1996, and had to go on the internet with my 19.2kbps modem to download new S3 drivers that supported DirectX 3.0.
Quake II came out a year later.
Half-life came out a year after that.

I got Red Alert for Christmas as well. My parents had to upgrade our 486 to 8 megs of RAM before I was able to actually play it though. I forget what my first PC was. I think my brother and I built a Celeron 333 for me in high school (using a bunch of parts he had left over after an upgrade of his own) and I believe we eventually did the overclocking-via-tape thing with it to run it at 450mhz. I might've had a Voodoo 2 but I know he had two of them so he could play Quake at 1280x1024 on his giant CRT. When my parents bought our first PC (the 486) the same magazine it was sold in had an advertisement for the hot new upcoming game Warcraft. :v:

Paul MaudDib posted:

Newegg is burning down the second-hand market for 980 Tis.

Have to admit I'm thinking real seriously about it. Is the basic 1080 ACX model on EVGA Step Up yet? Is there a disadvantage besides having to pay shipping both ways on the return/replacement?

For the low low price of a GTX 1070 you can get a used(?) card that is flat out inferior to it. What a bargain*!

* Excludes the fact that non-FE 1070s don't exist and we have no idea when they will.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Evil Fluffy posted:

For the low low price of a GTX 1070 you can get a used(?) card that is flat out inferior to it. What a bargain*!

* Excludes the fact that non-FE 1070s don't exist and we have no idea when they will.

quote:

Item condition:New

EVGA step-up program: valid

And yeah, non-FE 1070s don't exist yet let alone being actually available at retail. I grabbed one of these and I'm going to use Step Up to get a low-end 1080 or whatever's reasonable at the end of the 90-day window.

The 1070 is faster at stock but the Classified also is worth a small chunk of OC headroom.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 14, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Those are hundreds of brand new EVGA top of the line Classified 980ti's they're jettisoning on ebay, a bit late maybe but yeah some manager pushed the panic button :)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

:|

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

And yeah, non-FE 1070s don't exist yet let alone being actually available at retail. I grabbed one of these and I'm going to use Step Up to get a low-end 1080 or whatever's reasonable at the end of the 90-day window.

The 1070 is faster at stock but the Classified also is worth a small chunk of OC headroom.

EVGA step-up program has one clause that scares me:

> Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)

There is a chance that 1080 stock is still pretty limited in 90 days.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
460 looks to be the card I use to replace 750 Tis with.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

They did, the samples shown at Computex were clocked at 1266mhz which makes the OC on that chart a 10% gain over reference.

edit: This version is also floating around, looks like someone may have photoshopped the Titan X out and replaced it with made up 480 OC results.

coolenjoy, the site that this chart appears to be from, has said it is fake.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Paul MaudDib posted:

Exactly why I bought one. I have a 970 right now, but a friend is buying it and I am going to need something a little beefier to handle the 1440/144Hz monitor I just bought. Figure I'll use it for a month or two and try to upgrade. Unless something goes very wrong, I should be able to step up to the 08G-P4-6181-KR (ACX 3.0), right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Linx posted:

Got my 1070FE today, it's a really solid card. Apart from a few quirks where certain games didn't know what the gently caress it was (looking at you Fallout 4) and also the most up to date version of GeForce experience claiming to not meet the minimum requirement for optimising games. Speccy also seems to think that it only has 4096 VRAM for some reason. I assume because the card is new out or something?

No trouble on the gaming front?

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
On the topic of the EVGA 980ti that newegg has on ebay, this code "CCNSMZDMQ216" might work to get $45 off to make it $364.99. I say might because it didn't work on my regular ebay account but it does work if I check-out as guest.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I'm super impatient now, seriously considering using the EVGA step-up program. With the inflated 1070 prices (around 525€ in Denmark, and out of stock most places until maybe end june) I'm thinking a GTX 970 and taking the gamble on better prices in three months time. Currently on a 4 year-old 660ti and barely getting by on a 1440p monitor.

Please tell me not to do this and wait for RX480.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

snuff posted:

I'm super impatient now, seriously considering using the EVGA step-up program. With the inflated 1070 prices (around 525€ in Denmark, and out of stock most places until maybe end june) I'm thinking a GTX 970 and taking the gamble on better prices in three months time. Currently on a 4 year-old 660ti and barely getting by on a 1440p monitor.

Please tell me not to do this and wait for RX480.

Wait for an rx 480

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I hope the 470 launches soon because it would be a perfect card for me. I'll probably cave in and buy a 480 anyway though

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The problem with the 480 is you end up with an AMD card. :(

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Welp, RIP.

Computer crashed hard yesterday and when I booted it again, display was all hosed up with even the BIOS having two vertical lines over it. So I figured I'd slap in my ancient HD4850 to tide me over.

It does the same thing. :rip:
At first I thought I'd hosed up my monitor, but when I connect the TV it looks just the same.

So I guess either it's broken in the same way by now or my motherboard is hosed. I haven't bothered trying with the other PCIe GPU slot, but I guess that if the new GPU I'll get is also displaying like this, I'll just do the entire computer upgrade.

Right now I'm on the rip-roaring strength of the Intel HD Graphics 2500, but at least I can see stuff.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Odd question, have you tried replacing your cable? It's not clear if you did.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Any more details on 1080 AIB's yet or is the 17th the magic date for decent benchmark comparisons?

On paper the iChill x4/x3 look to be the best value/performance below £600 but I can't find any actual details beyond spec sheets. Also are triple fan coolers typically quieter than dual fans?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

Odd question, have you tried replacing your cable? It's not clear if you did.

The TV runs through a different cable and the Intel HD 2500 runs through the same cable as was used to take that picture.

There's a chance my passive DVI to HDMI converter is busted, but I didn't need that for the 7870. And if it was that little converter it wouldn't hard crash the computer (it wouldn't even respond to the reset button anymore, I had to hold down the power button).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Linx posted:

Got my 1070FE today, it's a really solid card. Apart from a few quirks where certain games didn't know what the gently caress it was (looking at you Fallout 4) and also the most up to date version of GeForce experience claiming to not meet the minimum requirement for optimising games. Speccy also seems to think that it only has 4096 VRAM for some reason. I assume because the card is new out or something?

:hfive: 1070FE + i7-920 buddies! I got mine last night, and upgrading from a 560ti I'm really happy with it. 3D Mark graphics score (I know, benchmarks) went from 3322 to 17553, and despite all the chatter about the noisy FE cooler it's far quieter under load than the Asus DirectCU II cooler I had before.

I gave Project Cars a test and was sitting around 100fps with every setting maxed out, dropping down to 70s with the full rain effects on. Really looking forward to trying out Tomb Raider tonight, and borrowing the Oculus Rift from work for the weekend. I feel that may end in a slippery slope of me impulse-buying a steering wheel though..

I'm just wondering how much of a burden the CPU is now.. Given the core of my current build has lasted 6 and a half years, if I was to upgrade I'd want to maximise the longevity of it again. Pricing up a 6700K + Mobo + RAM + Ncase M1 (I really have my mind set on that if I rebuild, which then means a new PSU) comes to £840 and, while I could afford that, I'm not sure I can really justify it.

Froist fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 14, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Froist posted:

:hfive: 1070FE + i7-920 buddies! I got mine last night, and upgrading from a 560ti I'm really happy with it. 3D Mark graphics score (I know, benchmarks) went from 3322 to 17553, and despite all the chatter about the noisy FE cooler it's far quieter under load than the Asus DirectCU II cooler I had before.

I gave Project Cars a test and was sitting around 100fps with every setting maxed out, dropping down to 70s with the full rain effects on. Really looking forward to trying out Tomb Raider tonight, and borrowing the Oculus Rift from work for the weekend. I feel that may end in a slippery slope of me impulse-buying a steering wheel though..

I'm just wondering how much of a burden the CPU is now.. Given the core of my current build has lasted 6 and a half years, if I was to upgrade I'd want to maximise the longevity of it again. Pricing up a 6700K + Mobo + RAM + Ncase M1 (I really have my mind set on that if I rebuild) comes to £740 and, while I could afford that, I'm not sure I can really justify it.

i7-920 vs 6700k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhzaBzvp9M

Since DX12 requires Windows 10 I'm probably going to end up buying an entire new system. m.2 RAID 10, DDR4, 6700K, EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid. Yeah. That sounds good. :toot:

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 14, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ak Gara posted:

i7-920 vs 6700k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhzaBzvp9M

Since DX12 requires Windows 10 I'm probably going to end up buying an entire new system. m.2 RAID 10, DDR4, 6700K, EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid. Yeah. That sounds good. :toot:

Wow, the difference is more significant than I thought it would be, especially in the driving scene towards the end which is the closest to actual gameplay for that game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm not completely up to speed with the newer Intel chips, but isn't the generational difference smaller after overclocking since the newer chips are closer to their max clock out of the box?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Had to catch up but on the old GPU Purchase and Box Art, I have been pretty lucky to get some boring box art paired with some rather ok cards.

First 3D card came with my families HP Pavilion 8180 which was a ATI Rage II with....Some Ram (maybe 4mb) and played Mechwarrior 2 Mercs somewhat well. Was mind blowing coming from a Pentium 66 with 16MB ram before even though that played Top Gun rather well with good graphics at 640x480 in the day lol.

First GPU Purchase was a Diamond Monster Fusion PCI

This thing was great that even though it had a few issues with the Voodoo 2 sort of driver issues as it was a 2D/3D card where the Voodoo 2 needed a 2D card to work (which I ended up getting from a buddy and paired it with that Rage II down the road). It ran fast as hell back in the day on that P2 266.
This modest beauty was my first GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR as well. I played both the OEM Unreal and Motocross madness. I always thought of the Banshee as Voodoo 1.5

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Both 1080 Strix and X34 in transit to my house. Going from a 670 and Samsung 226w.

Man I have clicked the track package page waaaay too many times in the last couple of days.

Of course, I won't even get back home from vacation until Saturday so it's not like I'm hoping they come faster...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

repiv posted:

I'm not completely up to speed with the newer Intel chips, but isn't the generational difference smaller after overclocking since the newer chips are closer to their max clock out of the box?

Yes, but we are talking about so many generations of chips between the i7-920 and the i7-6700k that the difference is going to be significant regardless of overclocking. I looked up benchmarks and I found one for the i7-920 at 4GHz getting a score of 7500 in Passmark vs an i7-6700k at stock getting 11000, so even with the clock speeds close to the same there is a pretty big gap.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with the 480 is you end up with an AMD card. :(

So none of your money is spent on the logo, it all goes to the card? :v:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NJD2005 posted:

On the topic of the EVGA 980ti that newegg has on ebay, this code "CCNSMZDMQ216" might work to get $45 off to make it $364.99. I say might because it didn't work on my regular ebay account but it does work if I check-out as guest.

Was about to buy this to replace my 7970 that is getting really loud but couldn't get the code to go through and when I finally did it said 'Your PayPal account is not registered in a country that allows this coupon' or w/e. I'm in the US

Guess I'll wait for the 1070 thanks paypal you enormous piece of garbage :thumbsup:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It seems like the diminishing returns after overclocking start really kicking in once you get past Sandy Bridge (and the legendary 2500k).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dislike button posted:

Was about to buy this to replace my 7970 that is getting really loud but couldn't get the code to go through and when I finally did it said 'Your PayPal account is not registered in a country that allows this coupon' or w/e. I'm in the US

Guess I'll wait for the 1070 thanks paypal you enormous piece of garbage :thumbsup:

It's apparently a code that's targeted to Paypal accounts in China, so it doesn't trigger as invalid on a guest account until you log into Paypal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Kind of a strange way to word it but its effectively true in a lot of comparisons. Might be better saying that between two popular generations (sandy bridge and anything that followed) one simply overclocked better than the other. The only chip I can think of that was actually clocked close to its limit was the 4790k.

However the 920 is so many generations back there's no doubt an upgrade will simply be better in every respect regardless of what you do to it. Don't hurt me, but its actually true for Sandy Bridge too, its just probably not worth the money yet for most people.

But don't fret if you have one its just something to look forward to lol.