Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

hailthefish posted:

:spergin:

Downloading this now. What is wrong with me.

Runoff-Management Mod Trip report: Not that great. Maybe it will be better in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
...And that's my first time accidentally planting a pumping station instead of a drain pipe. Four hundred dead, morgue services overflowing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know this will be an Unpopular Opinion in this thread but gods I hope CO never introduces spergy micromanagement of drainage pipes and poo poo as an official thing players have to do. Leave that to the modders so only the :spergin: who actually enjoy that stuff have to deal with it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I built a stadium district

People seem to swamp the one bus stop after the game despite the existence of tram, metro, and train options.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope the stadium is a test for a dlc around events. Finally I can play out the real life city experience of winning a global event bid, going into debt over venue construction and then being left with a bunch of oversized and underused infrastructure and decades of debt repayments.

I'm not joking though, bidding and hosting events would be a really nice way to add variety and a new incentive to minute to minute game play. Currently the only things driving a player are the demand bars, money and the desire to make a pretty city. Bidding for, or being told by some nebulous central government to, provide affordable housing for refugees, or create a space well connected and secure enough to hold a regional summit or to build the headquarters or an office for an international body like the UN would add a new force influencing how you grow your city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know this will be an Unpopular Opinion in this thread but gods I hope CO never introduces spergy micromanagement of drainage pipes and poo poo as an official thing players have to do. Leave that to the modders so only the :spergin: who actually enjoy that stuff have to deal with it.

I dunno, I really would like some more actual meaty stuff to do in the game.

Even if the official version was just like the traffic thing, sure you can run a city with lovely traffic but it works better if you have good traffic flow. Similalry flooding due to poor drainage would make the city work worse but it won't make it unusable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, I really would like some more actual meaty stuff to do in the game.

Even if the official version was just like the traffic thing, sure you can run a city with lovely traffic but it works better if you have good traffic flow. Similalry flooding due to poor drainage would make the city work worse but it won't make it unusable.

That's fine, an optional mod would be perfect for you then. One of the things I like the most about this game is how non-spergy the base game is, and it should stay that way.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Red Bones posted:

I hope the stadium is a test for a dlc around events. Finally I can play out the real life city experience of winning a global event bid, going into debt over venue construction and then being left with a bunch of oversized and underused infrastructure and decades of debt repayments.

I'm not joking though, bidding and hosting events would be a really nice way to add variety and a new incentive to minute to minute game play. Currently the only things driving a player are the demand bars, money and the desire to make a pretty city. Bidding for, or being told by some nebulous central government to, provide affordable housing for refugees, or create a space well connected and secure enough to hold a regional summit or to build the headquarters or an office for an international body like the UN would add a new force influencing how you grow your city.

This sounds nice. Rush hour kind of touches on this a bit, I guess the football stadium is CO's implementation of that mod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm 100% ok not having to worry about drainage. I'm also 100% ok with a lot more complexity being added to the game, but in areas that actually relate to city planning and present fun choices that can make our cities more different from each other.

I think a key thing when adding a feature to a game is asking if it's fun, if it meshes with the existing features, and if it adds meaningful choices for the player. Something like drainage is a solved issue. My old neighbour was an engineer that just did drainage and water related stuff. You hire him, he waves his magic wand over your project and it works. There's not really any interesting choices, it just works or it doesn't work. It's either up to code or its not. There's a lot to it, and the science and engineering behind it all is actually pretty interesting, but there's not really options.

It's much like pipes in CS today. There's no options, it's just busywork. You lay pipes to cover your city, done. I got a mod that got rid of the need for pipes all together and I couldn't be more happy.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm 100% ok not having to worry about drainage. I'm also 100% ok with a lot more complexity being added to the game, but in areas that actually relate to city planning and present fun choices that can make our cities more different from each other.

I think a key thing when adding a feature to a game is asking if it's fun, if it meshes with the existing features, and if it adds meaningful choices for the player. Something like drainage is a solved issue. My old neighbour was an engineer that just did drainage and water related stuff. You hire him, he waves his magic wand over your project and it works. There's not really any interesting choices, it just works or it doesn't work. It's either up to code or its not. There's a lot to it, and the science and engineering behind it all is actually pretty interesting, but there's not really options.

It's much like pipes in CS today. There's no options, it's just busywork. You lay pipes to cover your city, done. I got a mod that got rid of the need for pipes all together and I couldn't be more happy.

Exactly, dealing with drainage sounds like a tedious nightmare to me. Fine for people that want it but leave it out of the base game, thanks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supraluminal posted:

Exactly, dealing with drainage sounds like a tedious nightmare to me. Fine for people that want it but leave it out of the base game, thanks.

There's always the possibility that non-core gameplay elements like that could be toggle-able upon starting a new map or in the options menu. It's not a "you're forced to utilize it or it isn't in the game" situation.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

give me the mod

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Remove Need For Pipes

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I am all for deeper gameplay, but I would much rather have deeper, expanded economies and RCI systems than adding yet another water management related chore. Also, thanks for that no pipes mod. I am officially over pipes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have thought drainage would be logical given they have a water physics model, and canals. And storm drains are a prominent feature of some cities both affecting the layout and the look of the city.

More road things would be nice but, well, unless you want to get into micromanaging building placement and public transport funding I don't really know what else you can add to a city builder. And, well, that sounds far more spergy and un fun than building neat looking working canal systems in a city.

You could make a general water-based expansion which also perhaps includes tides, barrage bridges to regulate river flow, perhaps tidal surge disasters. It'd be interesting to have cities or maps which focus on reclaiming land and building flood walls.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a way to mass unsubscribe from all of the workshop assets and mods? I want to start a fresh install of C:S since the last time I played was with After Dark, and the game keeps crashing when I try to quit. I tried deleting the game files and reinstalling but that just brought back all of the mods and assets I was subscribed to.

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't see the "UNSUBSCRIBE ALL" button.

Shipon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Just a warning about that Rainfall mod: I think it requires the Climate Control mod, and that mod seems to have some issues if you don't have Snowfall installed. For example, it gave me the Snow achievement, and at one point I started getting snow-related icons around my city before the entire game promptly crashed.

Baronjutter posted:

The city has 2 elevated rail lines and 3 tram lines that all cross each other in multiple locations, there's no reason to ever drive. Tons of people use transit, and tons more bike and walk, but enough lazy assholes drive.

If you're using WG's Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance, I think it makes higher wealth and older cims drive no matter what.

Baronjutter posted:

Tram and elevated rail serving the university

What university is this?

Red Bones posted:

I hope the stadium is a test for a dlc around events.

Metrication posted:

This sounds nice. Rush hour kind of touches on this a bit, I guess the football stadium is CO's implementation of that mod.

According to the Rush Hour mod author, Colossal Order has had their own framework for Events in the game for a long time (predating RH), and this is just the first time they've done something with it.

Shipon posted:

the game keeps crashing when I try to quit.

This is just a fact of life for me now, along with it taking 10+ minutes to load a city. Oh well. Seems the price I pay for using mods and assets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Longbaugh01 posted:

According to the Rush Hour mod author, Colossal Order has had their own framework for Events in the game for a long time (predating RH), and this is just the first time they've done something with it.

Mmm, but this is basically finishing things off and putting UI stuff on it. The building's options are intricate enough that you could basically have an entire expansion of customisable, event-based unique buildings.

I hope that the colourpicker is a thing that Unique Building mod creators are able to use easily, that'd be awesome.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Thank you!

So I'm having an annoying issue where laying down roads or building poo poo isn't automatically bulldozing natural features like trees and rocks. Is this a bug or a stock "feature"? If it's stock, is there a mod to get rid of it? Because it's super goddamned annoying having trees growing in the middle of a main thoroughfare lane or shooting up through the middle of ranch-style single family homes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Solid Poopsnake posted:

So I'm having an annoying issue where laying down roads or building poo poo isn't automatically bulldozing natural features like trees and rocks. Is this a bug or a stock "feature"? If it's stock, is there a mod to get rid of it? Because it's super goddamned annoying having trees growing in the middle of a main thoroughfare lane or shooting up through the middle of ranch-style single family homes.

This is most certainly a bug. Are you running any mods that have to do with trees/rocks?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is most certainly a bug. Are you running any mods that have to do with trees/rocks?

So loving many.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Solid Poopsnake posted:

So loving many.

Here's a good way to find out which mod it is: in content manager sort by alphabetical, them deactivate half of all activated mods. Take note of which half. Load city and see if it happens. If it does then go back and deactivate half of the half you already deactivated. If it didn't happen then activate the half you didn't deactivate and then deactivate the half you did and go from there.

Rinse and repeat until you find the culprit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Thank you!

you probably have tree and prop anarchy on,

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

you probably have tree and prop anarchy on,

This was it. Thank you!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So any elevated asset I plop started to do this. It also does this when I connect tracks to any existing elevated station. It's like the track on the station has been set to force ground level. The track I'm laying isn't set to that mode. I have no idea how to fix this or what recently updated/changed to cause it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

So any elevated asset I plop started to do this. It also does this when I connect tracks to any existing elevated station. It's like the track on the station has been set to force ground level. The track I'm laying isn't set to that mode. I have no idea how to fix this or what recently updated/changed to cause it.

Weird. I mean the first thing I'd think is that one mod (can't remember) that forces the ground to the elevation of the network piece, but you seem pretty sure you don't have that mode activated. Did this start after the latest patch? Has the Elevated Stations mod updated since then (and anyone else reporting anything similar in it's workshop comments)?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just started the game up. Something updated and now it's fine. Stream workshop success story. Also spent some time today trying to break into blender and watch some of the worst tutorial vids related to it...

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Is there a combination of mods and assets that people are using to bring their metro subway lines above ground? Both elevated and at grade would be great. I'd like to create something a little more realistic with underground metro downtown and above ground lines as you get more suburban.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

Is there a combination of mods and assets that people are using to bring their metro subway lines above ground? Both elevated and at grade would be great. I'd like to create something a little more realistic with underground metro downtown and above ground lines as you get more suburban.

Just use an underground train station asset and ignore metro.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Just use an underground train station asset and ignore metro.

Are there any good ones out there? The other day I went looking on the workshop and there's still only 1 good elevated station and maybe a single good underground station that's just the metro station modded for underground rail.
I'd love some good more contemporary elevated metro stations. They're all either a billion track, lovely looking, or make Frank Gehry seem practical and tasteful.

This is the only reasonable underground one I can find
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636219430&searchtext=underground

This is an ok elevated metro (although I have to mod all stations because everyone mindlessly copies CO's stupid ultra-noisy stations that kill people within a block radius with south death beams)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636219783&searchtext=elevated

This is nice for those rare cases where you want 2 tracks
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=540854158&searchtext=elevated

This one is a god drat work of art and I end up using it over and over because it's compact and looks good. But it's pretty old timey and doesn't look right everywhere.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519519752&searchtext=elevated

I'm really surprised there aren't more elevated metro stations out there. Just give me some simple concrete deal with reasonable details and a door that isn't a white box floating on the outside of the station.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Are there any good ones out there? The other day I went looking on the workshop and there's still only 1 good elevated station and maybe a single good underground station that's just the metro station modded for underground rail.
I'd love some good more contemporary elevated metro stations. They're all either a billion track, lovely looking, or make Frank Gehry seem practical and tasteful.

I haven't tried any of these but a quick search turned up a few underground stations. One by BloodyPenguin which I assume is good. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...Transport+Train

Also found 2 elevated stations that look good: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550104018 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=552914350

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Can you install mods for additional features, buildings etc, into the game so that you can then construct them in your already in-progress cities or does that break things?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Helicon One posted:

Can you install mods for additional features, buildings etc, into the game so that you can then construct them in your already in-progress cities or does that break things?

Nah it's fine. I loaded up a city I started with five mods and zero assets yesterday, with >800 things activated atm.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Helicon One posted:

Installing mods into existing cities that affect gameplay mechanics isn't so bad even though sometimes things can get a bit unbalanced while the new poo poo asserts itself.

Uninstalling might be a different matter, which can be a problem when someone stops updating their mod.

Dropping new assets in shouldn't be a problem at all.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I had to completely remove all my mods on Saturday and start from a clean slate because something (or possibly multiple things) installed were causing the game to slow to a crawl, chew up all my memory and then crash.

Seems to be okay now, although I'm still getting a few errors popping up, mostly I think from missing dependencies. I'm going be collection now and installing through there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How I solved the tangle of two highways, the primary access to a large district, a small industrial/waste zone, a one-way highway up the mountain, and the roundabout that united them all::

i call it The Stub. I think the roundabout may be a bit obsolete though.

Also, any ideas on how to fill the ugly empty space in these?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 14, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Also, any ideas on how to fill the ugly empty space in these?

Trees, boulders and other natural features.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How I solved the tangle of two highways, the primary access to a large district, a small industrial/waste zone, a one-way highway up the mountain, and the roundabout that united them all::

Now you get to solve it all over again, you're welcome.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is there a way to see levels of heavy traffic density in the base game, apart from zooming to ground level and counting the cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwede
May 21, 2014
I just spent a few hours playing around with the new stadium DLC and I really like it. Hopefully they will expand this functionality to other downloads as well. I plopped one down in my rather small 6000 town just to see what happened. Seeing a huge percentage of my population actually swarm to the football match was cool and made it feel like they had actual interests and personality. Crowds everywhere, people interrupting traffic by crossing roads, normal bus routes collapsing under the strain - it was great. Since I'd put the stadium over by my farmland industry, the non-walking cims decided to jump onto the bus meant for the agri workers (the closest station). They then proceeded to angrily walk through heavy industrial traffic and pig farms, all for the glorious game of footie.

They should up the crime rate during events though. I want to see hooligans and riots tearing up my town after the home team loses. I want riot buses and police dogs.

With this mechanic in it seems simple to add others as well:

Conserts, cinemas opening nights, new iphone launch etc.
Presidential election rallies and demonstrations at the courthouse.
State funerals going to the cemetary.
Burning man out in the desert.

I'm excited.