Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I remember playing a Duke3D level of a guy's house and also his school lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I remember playing a Duke3D level of a guy's house and also his school lol

:arnie:

Connor the Conure
Jun 4, 2016

Spoiled to all hell

Powered Descent posted:

... Duke3D was always riotous fun. It helped that there were so many great maps that people made ...

I used to build hidden rooms into maps that could be locked from the inside and had monitors tied to different cameras throughout the map to track other players. That way I could throw a switch and cause the exits in a room they were in to close and lock and then another switch to make the ceiling crush them or the floor to drop into lava. It was good times, for me anyway.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

BattleMaster posted:

Found this on a CD-R dated November 2001, but I'm pretty sure it was from earlier that year. It's in a folder with a ton of poo poo with identical times and dates so I think they got mangled. I took it specifically because I was "playing" ActiveWorlds with goons and wanted it as a picture on a computer monitor in a building I made.

Holy poo poo, ActiveWorlds. I got some Brazillian chick to buy me an account in exchange that I build her a roller coaster for her house with a "Jack & Diane" midi as the music back in like '97 or '98.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Connor the Conure posted:

I used to build hidden rooms into maps that could be locked from the inside and had monitors tied to different cameras throughout the map to track other players. That way I could throw a switch and cause the exits in a room they were in to close and lock and then another switch to make the ceiling crush them or the floor to drop into lava. It was good times, for me anyway.

You brilliant bastard.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember attempting to make a map of my high school in duke3d

1999 was a beautiful time, whenever I think of that I'm grateful I did it then when that sort of poo poo didn't get you flagged on a watch list or something

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

WebDog posted:

The problem with After Dark is that it ran off 16bit. Windows 32 bit is the best option you have and there's a user hack to get version 3.0 running by jimmying in .dlls from newer versions of the program. After Dark 4.0 can work on Windows 10 with a bit of compatibility wrangling but that has the modern modules

The cool thing is that when it does work it actually tiles the screensavers so they work perfectly on 16:9 screens.

I need this...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Descent II or bust.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This isn't a computer relic... in fact, it doesn't have any circuitry in it at all, but this is some pretty cool retro tech

skip to 4:15 for the money shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE_zmpHcWQ

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

an AOL chatroom posted:

This isn't a computer relic... in fact, it doesn't have any circuitry in it at all, but this is some pretty cool retro tech

skip to 4:15 for the money shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE_zmpHcWQ

I bet the designer felt dumb when he saw a player that just flips the head. Like real dumb. I don't think I'd be able to get out of bed for a week.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As I've understood it, it's ideal to have the record and play heads be separate (wikipedia claims they should have different distance to the tape), and you need to fit an erase head in there as well. Head flipping uses a compromise head, while tape flipping allows you to have separate heads.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

The problem with After Dark is that it ran off 16bit.

I'd thought before (maybe even mentioned in this thread) that I thought it'd be cool to make a screen saver that runs something in an emulator for you. I figured DOSBox is easiest for running Windows 3.1, and when I searched the web for that the first match was pretty relevant:

https://www.screensaversplanet.com/help/guides/windows/how-to-run-johnny-castaway-on-windows-64-bit-28

Which refers to: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2pxopz/how_to_johnny_castaway_screensaver_on_64_bit/

I guess it should be possible to do something similar with After Dark.

The process above involves you downloading a .zip file with Windows 3 + Johnny Castaway + other stuff (:filez:) so I guess they might not have explained how it all works, and I don't know if the Screen Launcher software they mention is good (screen savers are a pretty common vector for viruses), but maybe someone in this thread would like to give it all a try.

One of the complaints on the first page is that "this method does not allow the use of DOSBox for running programs other than the Johnny Castaway screensaver without, in fact, breaking the screensaver set-up." That's pretty crappy, you just need to create a separate DOSBox configuration file and tell DOSBox to use that one to start the screensaver, rather than making your default configuration launch the screen saver.

I'm trying to avoid the temptation to be distracted by this little project myself, but I'll try to do it if nobody else can, just reply in a week or two to remind me.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Computer viking posted:

As I've understood it, it's ideal to have the record and play heads be separate (wikipedia claims they should have different distance to the tape), and you need to fit an erase head in there as well. Head flipping uses a compromise head, while tape flipping allows you to have separate heads.

That was probably written by the aforementioned bedridden designer to cover his shame.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I gave that Johnny Castaway method a go.
While it actually works by substituting the program directory with After Dark the main problem is After Dark isn't a screensaver in a traditional sense. It's a program that runs screensaver modules. So running the main .exe will just load up the program settings. It will work after a 5 minute wait but I can't find a way to make a module run immediately.

When it worked back in Windows 95 and onwards it kept to the same method by having a minimised program hiding in the system tray. Somewhere that also hooked into the screensaver settings panel. After Dark doesn't seem to come with a .scr file so it might have been installed as a device or some other hack to hook into Window's settings.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

I gave that Johnny Castaway method a go.
While it actually works by substituting the program directory with After Dark the main problem is After Dark isn't a screensaver in a traditional sense. It's a program that runs screensaver modules. So running the main .exe will just load up the program settings. It will work after a 5 minute wait but I can't find a way to make a module run immediately.

When it worked back in Windows 95 and onwards it kept to the same method by having a minimised program hiding in the system tray. Somewhere that also hooked into the screensaver settings panel. After Dark doesn't seem to come with a .scr file so it might have been installed as a device or some other hack to hook into Window's settings.

Oh yeah, now I have vague memories of After Dark not being a "normal" Windows screen saver.

Didn't it have a thing where if you moved the mouse to one corner of the screen, it'd stop the screen saver from coming on, and if you moved the cursor to another corner it'd come on immediately? Maybe you could find a tool like AutoHotkey for Windows 3.x which supports moving the mouse cursor, I'm sure it's easy :v: Or it might even be easy to write a little application to do this, I don't remember if it's just a simple API call to move the cursor.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

You can set hot corners and a hot key. Somehow someone managed to install After Dark 4.0 on Windows 10, hooking into the screensaver settings and all. Reputedly that can run older modules.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Computer viking posted:

I think it may be more an issue of keeping the head aligned correctly when it flips over. I remember on one of my dad's auto-reverse tape decks, side B always sounded muddy compared to side A, and when you manually flipped the tape over, it'd sound a whole lot better. Could have just been it was broken, but I have to believe they at least considered the idea of just flipping the head and chose not to for *some* reason.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNvxESKLAcA

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

an AOL chatroom posted:

I think it may be more an issue of keeping the head aligned correctly when it flips over. I remember on one of my dad's auto-reverse tape decks, side B always sounded muddy compared to side A, and when you manually flipped the tape over, it'd sound a whole lot better. Could have just been it was broken, but I have to believe they at least considered the idea of just flipping the head and chose not to for *some* reason.

I had a walkman with auto reverse and yeah, it was muddy so I would flip the tape. I dropped that same walkman on the ground one time and something broke so that when you chose auto reverse it would just play the tape backwards. Had lots of fun playing Led Zeppelin, Ozzy and Judas Priest tapes that way.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That cassette deck owns, unfortunately most of them don't work very well after 40 years :(

If someone made a retro replica of that exact mechanism I'd be first in line to buy one though

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Regular Nintendo posted:

1999 was a beautiful time, whenever I think of that I'm grateful I did it then when that sort of poo poo didn't get you flagged on a watch list or something
I always wanted to do that. The most I did was recreate the entire suburb that I lived in as a kid, in Sim Town. :D

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

error1 posted:

That cassette deck owns, unfortunately most of them don't work very well after 40 years :(

If someone made a retro replica of that exact mechanism I'd be first in line to buy one though

Just imagine what it would cost.

the Antikythera Tape Reverse Mechanism

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

error1 posted:

I have an old Sony reel to reel that I found while cleaning out my Dad's place. The wheels won't turn so I'm hoping it's just the belts that deteriorated over time. Two of the reels are NPR broadcasts of the Star Wars radio drama complete with commercials and news updates.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I have an old Sony reel to reel that I found while cleaning out my Dad's place. The wheels won't turn so I'm hoping it's just the belts that deteriorated over time. Two of the reels are NPR broadcasts of the Star Wars radio drama complete with commercials and news updates.

I finally tossed my Dad's reel to reel last year, after finding out how many parts needed replacing... and how hard it was to find parts for it. Thankfully, none of the reels had anything all that interesting, mostly just copies of his vinyl records.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Squashy Nipples posted:

I finally tossed my Dad's reel to reel last year, after finding out how many parts needed replacing... and how hard it was to find parts for it. Thankfully, none of the reels had anything all that interesting, mostly just copies of his vinyl records.

Yeah, my dad once told me that in his youth, he would just copy all his friend's records on his reel to reel.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

That sucks. I looked up the model and it seems to be a common one so hopefully parts won''t be an issue. Luckily there is a place in town that actually knows how to service "retro" stereo equipment.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, my dad once told me that in his youth, he would just copy all his friend's records on his reel to reel.

Nah, he owned the records, it was just the "audiophile" method of the time: since vinyl wears out, you treat the record as a master copy. You listen to the tapes, and when the tape wears out/stretches thin, you make a new copy of the album to a new blank tape. His Beatles albums were pristine.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My uncle had a friend who did the same thing. Back in the day, he thought his friend was a bit weird, but now he realises his friend was smart. Good condition vinyl can go for a lot of money these days, especially early/rare editions of stuff like the Beatles.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was that program that set your desktop background to a lavalamp like picture that would move around and poo poo

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Buttcoin purse posted:

(screen savers are a pretty common vector for viruses)

Oh that's right, I remember back in the day you'd have a lot of 'coolsong.mp3 .scr' virus executables on p2p and such.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Black Pants posted:

Oh that's right, I remember back in the day you'd have a lot of 'coolsong.mp3 .scr' virus executables on p2p and such.

Ever fire up the old family email account to check it and discover someone opened an email with the subject "FW: Hey check out this free screen saver!" from a day ago?

It's like the internet equivalent of walking home to find your house surrounded by police tape.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Regular Nintendo posted:

The build editor was great for that poo poo, way better then making doom levels since duke had a lot more "real" textures and stuff like normal looking doors + toilets and stuff that wouldnt look out of place in real life. Me and my cousin spent a good chunk of one summer making a massive level where we would make custom houses for all our friends and poo poo (never finished of course). drat i wish i saved the stuff we made back then.

Oh and speaking of getting put on watch lists one time in 7th grade me and my friend got pulled out of class and almost suspended because he made a comment in passing that I knew where to find plans to make an atomic bomb on the internet. The fact that it would be a bit difficult for a couple of 12 year olds to get their hands on weapons-grade plutonium wasnt really considered by my teachers i guess.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The beauty of duke and the build3d engine was that they included the level editor with retail copies of the game, it was very capable and rendered the level in 3d while you were editing it and did it all on a regular pc.

In comparison, DoomEd was written for NextStep and required a really expensive workstation to run. It didn't take long for the .wad format to get reverse engineered and third party tools to appear, but build.exe was easy enough that any 10 year old could figure it out and try to build a copy of the school, house, bedroom or whatever.

It was fun to make deathmatch maps with overlapping sectors that created impossible spaces, that confused the hell out of my friends.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

error1 posted:

The beauty of duke and the build3d engine was that they included the level editor with retail copies of the game, it was very capable and rendered the level in 3d while you were editing it and did it all on a regular pc.

In comparison, DoomEd was written for NextStep and required a really expensive workstation to run. It didn't take long for the .wad format to get reverse engineered and third party tools to appear, but build.exe was easy enough that any 10 year old could figure it out and try to build a copy of the school, house, bedroom or whatever.

It was fun to make deathmatch maps with overlapping sectors that created impossible spaces, that confused the hell out of my friends.

Is there video of this

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tDBg4pfYk
Nice little rundown of 2D.5 games that Ken Silverman coded up to Build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaXwzRsva0
And someone making a level in Build, sped up.

Basically you plotted everything in 2D on that grid then entered 3D mode to raise or lower sections, adjust textures and sprites and other elements. You can see how flexible it was.

I lost all my Duke3D maps when the 486's secondary drive went. I used to make levels based on things I've seen in movies, so there was one based on Mission Impossible where you had to jetpack down a bunch of triplasers to get to a console. It was pretty cool when it all came together and you stick your head into the room and see all these little doors slide open and activate the trip lasers.

Other things were gauntlet run levels where two players had to race to get to the end level button on an obstacle course that would be loaded with traps and so on. These would get ever more elaborate as as people lagged behind buttons would reveal that allowed them to trip up the other player with shrink rays.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I really loved reading through this thread and I think I finally have something to contribute:

I'm visiting my parents and knew the old family computer was tucked away somewhere in the garage. Spent most of Sunday looking for it. It's an HP Pavilion 511w (as the nameplate suggests) with 128mb of ram, a 40gb HDD, and a lovely Celeron. We bought it in the summer of 2002 and it was used until late 2009. I remember the box being enormous (huge 15" CRT included!!) and it had to be brought out to my dad's truck on a little dolly. It still runs, but the hard drive looks to have failed after seven years of garage residency. Not really sure what to do with it at this point, but I did consider fixing it up for the sake of nostalgia if that's within possibility.

Lot of memories with this old thing. A favorite being when a new MSN Messenger window popup in 2007/2008 would freeze the computer for 3 or so minutes. It was definitely past its use-by date by then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Wang posted:

Lot of memories with this old thing. A favorite being when a new MSN Messenger window popup in 2007/2008 would freeze the computer for 3 or so minutes. It was definitely past its use-by date by then.
That used to happen to my Performa on AIM 3.5. But that was in 99/2000.

I basically learned to touch type because the lag was so bad I could type a whole sentence out before it started filling in on screen.

I have a similar model HP. One day it's going to be the family media server and my kids will be like "why is it so big and ugly" :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Speaking of old games. Does anyone remember what game it was where if you got a certain error i think something in the map got out of bounds, you'd get an error message with a hand drawing of a cube bursting through a wall screaming "I'm free!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Speaking of old games. Does anyone remember what game it was where if you got a certain error i think something in the map got out of bounds, you'd get an error message with a hand drawing of a cube bursting through a wall screaming "I'm free!"

Rise of the Triad Something Something (the first RotT anyway).

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Found the program, called drempels, turns your desktop into a groovy psychedelic moving picture.

http://www.geisswerks.com/drempels/

make sure to go to compatability and disable desktop composition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rise of the Triad Something Something (the first RotT anyway).

Cool, thanks!