Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Just a minor thing: when you give consent to search you can rescind that consent. So at any time (well, up until they opened the box I guess) Clem could have said "y'know what I've changed my mind get the hell out and come back with a warrant" and Cole and Finbarr Rusty would have been hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm sure they would have, given how much Rusty cares about following the exact command of the law.

Just like they were sure to knock and ask for the husband's permission before entering his apartment.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Stare-Out posted:

James Ellroy smartly (and correctly I think) stated that the basis of all serial murders is sexual desire and the attempt to recreate the same rush the killer felt with their first murder

I have a problem with any statement about human behaviour that says "all A are B". It's like Rusty's Razor. Sure, the spouse is guilty the majority of the time, but not all the time. People are complicated and have all sorts of motives that make us act counter to instinct and basic needs. Ignore that, and you're likely to ignore any evidence that goes counter to your theory.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like the bartender's response to 'lie'. He's one of the few people who don't effectively just go "prove it" when accused.

Also, I absolutely died the first time I heard the "nosy hag" line. I was absolutely not expecting that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Stare-Out posted:

Serial killers often "mature", which means that their first murders are very downplayed versions of their actual fantasies and they work towards their ultimate fantasy with every victim, little by little. LA Noire presents this pretty clearly, especially with the last episode of this LP where the killer gets even more brazen and obvious compared to the previous cases. At the same time they often try to recreate the conditions of their first murder. James Ellroy smartly (and correctly I think) stated that the basis of all serial murders is sexual desire and the attempt to recreate the same rush the killer felt with their first murder which is why almost always it's a case of the perpetrator being of the opposite sex; usually a male perp with female victims.

Actually power isthe most common reason. Sex is part of it a lot of the time but even rape can just be an expression of the perpetrators power of their victim. The most common victims are the powerless like prostitutes, children runaways and such.
And escalation usually comes from desensitisation, as the killer goes on he or she simply don't get the same rush any more and has to do more and more extreme things to achieve it. Of course working up to an ultimate fantasy is also a thing but most serial killers doesn't start out with a clear idea of what they want so it is more exploring what they like than an ultimate fantasy.

FrozenCherry
Nov 12, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Just a minor thing: when you give consent to search you can rescind that consent. So at any time (well, up until they opened the box I guess) Clem could have said "y'know what I've changed my mind get the hell out and come back with a warrant" and Cole and Finbarr Rusty would have been hosed.

That's my main problem with the game is that they never have problems with the 4th amendment, but I guess it would break the flow of the game and noir feel itself.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No, they wanted you to get into another brawl with the dude and his brother so as to spice up the gameplay because godforbid you get to be a detective and just investigate and not be involved in atleast one chase scene per case.

Also I'm gonna say you didn't get punished for running over that civilian because they were already dead from getting run over by Clem. I have no doubt in my mind that that's what Galloway put in his report, and Cole is obviously too honest to not be guilty in the report, so clearly the Captain is going to take Finnbar's more detached, objective testimony. Besides, they're already sending him to the gas chamber, what's one more albatross around his neck?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

SpookyLizard posted:

No, they wanted you to get into another brawl with the dude and his brother so as to spice up the gameplay because godforbid you get to be a detective and just investigate and not be involved in atleast one chase scene per case.

Also I'm gonna say you didn't get punished for running over that civilian because they were already dead from getting run over by Clem. I have no doubt in my mind that that's what Galloway put in his report, and Cole is obviously too honest to not be guilty in the report, so clearly the Captain is going to take Finnbar's more detached, objective testimony. Besides, they're already sending him to the gas chamber, what's one more albatross around his neck?

"That's odd, this man was already stabbed to death before the car hit him!"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

FrozenCherry posted:

That's my main problem with the game is that they never have problems with the 4th amendment, but I guess it would break the flow of the game and noir feel itself.

It's the LAPD in the late 1940s. Even by the standards of pre-Miranda policing they were an egregiously corrupt police force. It's not really a stretch that they're willing to cut corners concerning citizens' constitutional rights.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Lemon has a bit of a fetish for starring in remakes of benchmark courtroom dramas. Check out his remake of Inherit the Wind.

Or rather, don't. It's somehow even worse than the Mikhalkov version of 12 angry men.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It's pretty much both; there is (or can be) a lot of annoying backtracking, but this case feels the most to me like what a police detective would actually do in solving a murder case: painstakingly reconstructing the events of the previous night through evidence and eyewitness testimony to find the most likely explanation for what happened to the victim. Consequently, it really does seem like the suspect Cole catches really does seem like the most likely fit (even if the motive is shoddy, but then again, it hasn't been particularly strong in any of the cases thus far, so why stop now? :v: ) There's also a delicious link between environment and Phelps' current mood that is very, very noir for this case: the gloomy pall that persists even when it isn't raining, the busywork thither and yon that just seems tedious, the use of hobos, some of which are war veterans... it all paints a really complete picture of Phelps' mounting frustration at these continued murders even after putting away three suspects already. In fact, the bus conversations follow this same pattern too, with Cole starting out chipper and hopeful and becoming more and more jaded and cynical:

Phelps & Rusty Chase a Bus (cont.) posted:

Third conversation:
◾Phelps: How big is this bus route?
◾Rusty: It actually covers an area about the size of Central division.
◾Phelps: Probability says we'll find it about half-way around.
◾Rusty: Bad luck says we'll be chasing it all night.

Fourth conversation:
◾Phelps: This is starting to grate a little.
◾Rusty: Really? What happened to the joys of rigorous search? Dogged police work, you know?
◾Phelps: They went out the window about two blocks ago.
◾Rusty: Hey, this could be a Cole Phelps I could grow to love.
◾Phelps: Don't count on it.

Fifth conversation: (Triggers once you've driven around for 15 minutes, or three in-game hours)
◾Rusty: No, no, no! You should've gone the other way. We'd have found the bus by now if you'd gone the other way.
◾Phelps: How was I to know that at the time?
◾Rusty: A good detective always depends on his gut, Cole, and yours has just been found wanting.
◾Phelps: But by the looks of it, its main request is beer.
◾Rusty: Beer and convictions, Phelps. Beer and convictions.

Gawd, I love how acidic Cole gets with Rusty.

This case also has some of my favorite bit parts (like that taxi driver :allears: , and I have a special place in my heart for the lady who introduced the hobos, and the slightly wide eyed way she did it.)

E: On the subject of "villains who are coded gay as an extension of their villainy/wrongness as opposed to just happening to be gay," the example that hits me like a truck the minute Bobbin mentioned it are Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint from Diamonds are Forever, one of the lesser Bond films in my opinion. I mean, they're certainly memorable characters (and one of the better parts of that movie, if not the best) but oh boy...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes for this case:

- Once again, the case is based on a real unsolved murder.
- How did the murderer know she would get off at the wrong stop? Note how he was lying in wait in the opening scene.
- Newspaper is dated 25th of August.
- The husband never gives his name, instead the game tells us out of the blue that this POI is named "Lars Taraldsen".

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 13, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The bus chase is the high point of the entire game imo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, not being able to check out the ballroom is the most egregious thing. You map out the victim's movements so well for the most part, and it's great, but there's just this one huge blind spot that no one recognizes in-game.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

So it turns out that Ray Pinker, our dogged forensic technician, was a real person much like Guy McAfee, Elizabeth Short, Johnny Stompanato and Mickey Cohen. I suppose it's not massively surprising, but interesting nonetheless.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, not being able to check out the ballroom is the most egregious thing. You map out the victim's movements so well for the most part, and it's great, but there's just this one huge blind spot that no one recognizes in-game.

I guess it's because the sailor was still with her at the time and afterward so her movements are still traced. It's only on the bus where the trail ends.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's a big piece of evidence at the body's location that calls the hobo being the killer into question.

Tire tracks. I seriously doubt Ackerman owns a car.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This isn't exactly a spoiler thread, and they don't really explain exactly what happened, but I'm pretty sure the real killer left the stuff behind and the hobo stole it because he's literally insane.

As to why she wasn't stripped, cut up, and drawn on. It might be because it was raining. He wanted to get his murder on but he also didn't want to get caught in the rain only to see all his beautifully set up incriminating evidence wash away.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I'm really enjoying the film segments of this LP. Not sure if I asked this before, but will you be covering Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

I'm really enjoying the film segments of this LP. Not sure if I asked this before, but will you be covering Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?

You haven't, and I'm afraid not, sorry.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You haven't, and I'm afraid not, sorry.

Ah well, no harm in asking.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yup, sometimes you have to shake the tree and see what falls out

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The "everyone has a matchbook from their bar of choice" thing never really seemed weird to me because my parents have a literal kettle full of matchbooks from bars, restaurants, etc. that they visited spanning over at least 30 years (and they don't even smoke, well at least not anymore). Add that to the fact that smoking was a lot more prevalent in the 1940s and it's not too unreasonable in my eyes (if a bit contrived).

Also, slight historical inaccuracy. Jessop says the USS Indiana is in San Pedro being scrapped, but while the ship was formally decommissioned in 1947 (September, 1947 in fact, which puts it right about the time of this case judging by the newspaper) it wasn't sold off for scrap until the 1960s. Going to guess it's a flub on the part of the writer, but props on them for using a ship that easily could've been in that area at the time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

Ah well, no harm in asking.

You're certainly free to explain why I should have covered it, though. Effort posts are welcome, and I don't care if you get to a specific movie before I do so nobody needs to ask permission, either.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Angry_Ed posted:

The "everyone has a matchbook from their bar of choice" thing never really seemed weird to me because my parents have a literal kettle full of matchbooks from bars, restaurants, etc. that they visited spanning over at least 30 years (and they don't even smoke, well at least not anymore). Add that to the fact that smoking was a lot more prevalent in the 1940s and it's not too unreasonable in my eyes (if a bit contrived).

I'm also old enough to remember when souvenir matchbooks were much more popular but I think the issue people are having is that the suspects seem to only have matches from one establishment scattered around, where as if the police were investigating yours or my (or most other) parents and they were trying to draw the same conclusions, they'd look around the house and say something like "well I guess we needed to check out these 19 businesses next" to get witness statements from dozens of waiters and bartenders. It's just a bit too convenient.

But at the same time most police investigations tend to takes weeks if not months, while Captain Donnelly needs someone in the gas chamber by sundown to sustain his infinite Irish youth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm also old enough to remember when souvenir matchbooks were much more popular but I think the issue people are having is that the suspects seem to only have matches from one establishment scattered around, where as if the police were investigating yours or my (or most other) parents and they were trying to draw the same conclusions, they'd look around the house and say something like "well I guess we needed to check out these 19 businesses next" to get witness statements from dozens of waiters and bartenders. It's just a bit too convenient.

But at the same time most police investigations tend to takes weeks if not months, while Captain Donnelly needs someone in the gas chamber by sundown to sustain his infinite Irish youth.

Having done some reading about the 40s and 50s, I think it actually makes sense for them to predominately have one bar's matchbook. People would go to their favorite bar or club pretty much all the time (there weren't quite as many recreational activities available as there are now) and not really wander around town looking for new places to hit up. Likewise, it only recently became common for people to order different alcoholic beverages every time they went out instead of ordering the same brand of beer or cocktail everywhere; many period detective stories use a suspect's regular drink order as a clue.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Having done some reading about the 40s and 50s, I think it actually makes sense for them to predominately have one bar's matchbook. People would go to their favorite bar or club pretty much all the time (there weren't quite as many recreational activities available as there are now) and not really wander around town looking for new places to hit up. Likewise, it only recently became common for people to order different alcoholic beverages every time they went out instead of ordering the same brand of beer or cocktail everywhere; many period detective stories use a suspect's regular drink order as a clue.

On the other hand, Zippos existed by this point and wooden matches are far less annoying to light than those stupid cardboard matchbook matches.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Jay Rust posted:

Yup, sometimes you have to shake the tree and see what falls out

He's just doing his job, you understand that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the other hand, Zippos existed by this point and wooden matches are far less annoying to light than those stupid cardboard matchbook matches.

Yeah, but they were given out for free. Everyone took matchbooks home, especially ones that had the bar's address and/or phone number on them in the days before the Internet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Casualty posted:

He's just doing his job, you understand that.
He's letting you off the hook. For now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JT Jag posted:

He's letting you off the hook. For now.

He must have made a mistake. Sorry.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Got stuck waiting to watch the latest Film Corner for a while, I'm happy to hear you're covering Double Indemnity next as that's the movie which made me a fan of the genre :) I took a film class in college that included about half a semester on film noir and we mostly just watched a bunch of these old movies and talked about their themes and subtext. Double Indemnity was the first movie we watched and while it wasn't the best movie I saw in that class, it was the one that convinced me that film noir was a really distinctive, interesting, visually appealing movement.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Also, slight historical inaccuracy. Jessop says the USS Indiana is in San Pedro being scrapped, but while the ship was formally decommissioned in 1947 (September, 1947 in fact, which puts it right about the time of this case judging by the newspaper) it wasn't sold off for scrap until the 1960s. Going to guess it's a flub on the part of the writer, but props on them for using a ship that easily could've been in that area at the time.

Another little thing: the bartender claimed that he had a hat with "USS Indiana" on it, but when he appears in the interrogation room, the hat on the table is a white "Dixie cup". Wiki has this:

quote:

From 1852 until 1962 (although in practice rarely worn after the middle of World War II), enlisted sailors were issued a round, flat blue wool hat with a ribbon around the band similar to that worn by the Royal Navy. The "Donald Duck" was worn with the Service Dress Blue uniform on more formal occasions in lieu of the white "Dixie cup." The ribbon until 1941 carried the name of the wearer's ship embroidered in gold; as a wartime security measure this was replaced with a generic "U.S. Navy."

Obviously, this means that the bartender couldn't have tied him to that particular ship in this way. Would have made more sense if he said that he had overheard the sailor claim to serve on the Indiana.

Also, from the L.A. Noire wiki:

quote:

He is described as an "Able Seaman," a rank which existed in the British and Australian Royal Navies but not the US Navy; his insignia marks him as a Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class. This error and the one above may reflect the Australian development team ascribing Anglo-Australian naval practices to the USN.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also I can't believe you dope pushing goons. For shame.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I have to admit, I've never seen a guy being tortured through his hearingaid before, and as someone who used to wear one I can tell you that that pain in your ear from loving static being screeched down it is like the devil's death sentence to my brain. So it's pretty horrible to do.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Kopijeger posted:

Another little thing: the bartender claimed that he had a hat with "USS Indiana" on it, but when he appears in the interrogation room, the hat on the table is a white "Dixie cup". Wiki has this:

Obviously, this means that the bartender couldn't have tied him to that particular ship in this way. Would have made more sense if he said that he had overheard the sailor claim to serve on the Indiana.

Also, from the L.A. Noire wiki:

As a former US Navy sailor I did notice some errors like that as well. I was surprised to see he was a Petty Officer Third Class instead of a Seaman First Class (known in the modern USN as "Seaman") which would have been less of an egregious error. Considering how the game continually brings up WW2, I'm surprised they made a mistake like this especially since his uniform was modeled correctly. Seriously would have taken them five minutes on Google to figure this stuff out.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

You're certainly free to explain why I should have covered it, though. Effort posts are welcome, and I don't care if you get to a specific movie before I do so nobody needs to ask permission, either.

Well, I'll try.

"Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" is a 1982 comedy that parodies and pays homage to the film noir classics of the 1940s. The title itself is a parody of the kind of titles used by the hard-boiled detective stories of Erle Stanley Gardner. The movie is directed by Carl Reiner and stars Steve Martin as private investigator Rigby Reardon. Rigby is hired by femme fatale Juliet Forrester to investigate the death of her father, and he soon uncovers a dangerous conspiracy at the center of a web of lies and murder.

The film itself is made up of footage from 19 different classic films intermixed with new footage shot in black and white. This allows Steve Martin to "interact" with the likes of Veronica Lake or Humphrey Bogart. The idea came from a meeting Steve Martin and Carl Reiner had in 1980, where they discussed the possibility of using footage from older films, taken out of context, for comedic purposes.

A great deal of effort was put into making the new footage integrate seamlessly with the old. Costume designer Edith Head was hired because of her expertise in the fashion of the 1940s, and she created over 20 suits for Martin in the style of leading men like Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. Production designer John De Cuir called on 40 years of experience to construct the film's 85 sets. Michael Chapman, the Director of Photography, extensively studied the lighting and angles made popular by film noir, and spent six months experimenting with Technicolor in order to make the new footage match the old. The score was composed by Hungarian composer Miklos Rozsa, who had also contributed scores to films like "Double Indemnity", "Spellbound" and "The Lost Weekend".

One of the things I like about "Dead Men" is that the mystery actually makes sense. This movie goes off in some pretty ludicrous directions, but it never falls prey to the pitfalls other comedies that revolve around detectives can suffer from. Many comedies make the mystery utterly nonsensical and resolve things with an rear end-pull at the last minute, or make the culprit blatantly obvious and leave the audience waiting until the protagonist can figure out what they've known all along. The end result may be somewhat bizarre in this movie, but all the clues fit into place and make for a satisfying chase for the truth. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Clue", although "Clue" was spoofing a different style of crime fiction entirely.

Here are the films that appear in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid":

Johnny Eager (1941)
Suspicion (1941)
Keeper of the Flame (1942) (uncredited)
This Gun for Hire (1942)
The Glass Key (1942)
Double Indemnity (1944)
The Lost Weekend (1945)
The Killers (1946)
Deception (1946)
Humoresque (1946)
The Big Sleep (1946)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
Notorious (1946)
Dark Passage (1947)
I Walk Alone (1947)
Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
White Heat (1949)
The Bribe (1949)
In a Lonely Place (1950)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You need a cup of my java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that sounds pretty interesting

• Locked thread