Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

As released in 1979, The Motion Picture had the overture. It played over an empty screen. In the Director's Edition, they added the starfield.

My bad, I knew they changed something for the DVD, but I thought they added the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Dancer in the Dark has the best overture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWd0azv3fQ

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is there any Orson Welles movie that is NOT good-to-great?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Othello kind of left me cold, but it's so drat gorgeously shot.

Citizen Kane, The Stranger, Touch of Evil, The Trial, and F for Fake are all among my favorite films, period. The Stranger is Welles slumming it being a for-hire director and he still nails it as both director and actor.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Criterions of Chimes at Midnight and The Immortal Story, since I have never seen either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I submit there is not. He's easily the best part of Transformers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPW44-I3n4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching Buddha's Palm on Hulu the other day and at the beginning of the movie when they introduce some of the main characters some writing appears under them but it wasn't translated. So what was it?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does anyone have a copy of Christine (1983) to hand? I tried to record it onto my DVR last night but we had thunderstorms and it cut out, splitting the file in two, just a couple of minutes in. It was the last showing on the movie channels here for the forseeable future, so I can't just re-record it. The last frame of the first file is this (lovely tablet camera photos inc):

And the first frame of the second file is this:

Does anyone know how much is missing? I've never seen it so can't tell. If there's too much missing then I'll just put it on the back burner for a few years I guess, but if it's only like 20 seconds then whatever I'll deal

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Allyn posted:

Does anyone have a copy of Christine (1983) to hand? I tried to record it onto my DVR last night but we had thunderstorms and it cut out, splitting the file in two, just a couple of minutes in. It was the last showing on the movie channels here for the forseeable future, so I can't just re-record it. The last frame of the first file is this (lovely tablet camera photos inc):

And the first frame of the second file is this:

Does anyone know how much is missing? I've never seen it so can't tell. If there's too much missing then I'll just put it on the back burner for a few years I guess, but if it's only like 20 seconds then whatever I'll deal

Can you look at the total length of both files and see how that compares to the length of the film?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Snak posted:

Can you look at the total length of both files and see how that compares to the length of the film?

I considered that but it records ads before and after which makes it a hassle to work out, and you have to fast forward at like 6x speed instead of being able to jump near the end to try and work it out. And I'd rather not see the whole thing in fast-forward first :(

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That first shot is at the 2 minute mark, the second one is 5 and a half minutes in.

You basically missed the rest of the intro showing Christine on the assembly line, the hood closes on a guy's hand while he's inspecting it and then an employee who had ashed his cigar on it is found dead sitting inside. After that it picks up with the other car coming down the road and into the driveway.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ror posted:

That first shot is at the 2 minute mark, the second one is 5 and a half minutes in.

You basically missed the rest of the intro showing Christine on the assembly line, the hood closes on a guy's hand while he's inspecting it and then an employee who had ashed his cigar on it is found dead sitting inside. After that it picks up with the other car coming down the road and into the driveway.

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking like 90 seconds would be my limit but hmm it doesn't sound like *too* much... thank god it was early and just setup I guess? :shrug:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Allyn posted:

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking like 90 seconds would be my limit but hmm it doesn't sound like *too* much... thank god it was early and just setup I guess? :shrug:

That scene and indeed the whole movie is available on YouTube, at varying degrees of quality.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not going to spoil block this because if you've seen the trailers for it, you've seen all the bits:

In the new Turtles movie, the dimensional portal between the unnamed dimension (that is totally Dimension X) and Earth isn't a huge gaping hole in reality, but a tiny one. As such, the Technodrome is brought in piece-by-piece and automatically assembled here.

Is this a a common thing in sci-fi that I've potentially missed, or is it as unique as I think it is?

I've wondered about it, and the only thing close to it is the enemy portal in the video game Wing Commander Prophecy, and even that begins with a Big Fuckoff Object making a Big Fuckoff Portal.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

MisterBibs posted:

In the new Turtles movie, the dimensional portal between the unnamed dimension (that is totally Dimension X) and Earth isn't a huge gaping hole in reality, but a tiny one. As such, the Technodrome is brought in piece-by-piece and automatically assembled here.

Is this a a common thing in sci-fi that I've potentially missed, or is it as unique as I think it is?

If I'm understanding correctly, Philip K. Dick's The Crack in Space might have a similar idea. A portal to another dimension is discovered—opened up by some faulty piece of machinery, if I remember correctly. They want to colonize this other dimension, but the opening is so small that it'll take an ungodly long time to get a sufficient number of colonists through.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Not going to spoil block this because if you've seen the trailers for it, you've seen all the bits:

I've wondered about it, and the only thing close to it is the enemy portal in the video game Wing Commander Prophecy, and even that begins with a Big Fuckoff Object making a Big Fuckoff Portal.

define "Big". Marvel's Avengers had a portal the size of a football field and that seemed more than sufficient for a big fuckoff invasion, so it's not like you need a big rear end portal.

If that still bothers you, just say that it costs a fuckton of resources to open one, so why go bigger than you need?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrJacobs posted:

define "Big". Marvel's Avengers had a portal the size of a football field and that seemed more than sufficient for a big fuckoff invasion, so it's not like you need a big rear end portal.

If that still bothers you, just say that it costs a fuckton of resources to open one, so why go bigger than you need?

Yeah, I just imagine it's like pizza dough, every inch you add to the diameter requires pi (no pun intended) more square inches of dough.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrJacobs posted:

I don't think it bothers him, he's praising it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not something I would have even thought about.

Interdimensional portals asside, having to transport things from one place to another in pieces and assemble them is like, a pretty normal thing. It's used all over fiction. One time Klinger was sending an army jeep back to Toledo, Ohio in separate pieces.

It never occured to me that interdimension portals were "giant" by default, since they always seem to be whatever size the plot requires. In fact, I would have guess that they are more often small than large. Like, Stargate sized. Or person-sized.

I am kind of curious now though. But I feel like the easiest way to obtain this information would be to go to TVTropes. I don't want to do that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Portals in scifi are usually just plot shortcuts to get X object to Y position so they're usually exactly as big as they need to be in order for that object to fit through it. The portals in Stargate are used to transport people so they're people sized, the portal in Star Trek Deep Space 9 are used to transport ships so they're ship sized, etc etc..
The writers pretty much never think about changing the portals to be too big or too small unless they've written themselves into a corner where the plot shortcut would wreck their set up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 10, 2016

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I recently rewatched Candyman (there's a reminder for everyone else to do so) and one thing that I could never grasp was the length of time that passes during the film. I suppose with this sort of film you can always say that's intentional but I would like a general idea of time if there is one, it all felt like it happened in the space of a week or so but the more I think about it the more I feel like much more time should have passed.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kind of an odd question, but someone might be able to help. I wanted to use a film still to print a very large poster — as close to wall size as I can get.

Blu-ray/internet sources probably aren't going to give me a high enough resolution, right? I have access to an industrial printer, was thinking about buying 35mm trailers off eBay and finding a scanner somewhere.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 10, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

morestuff posted:

Kind of an odd question, but someone might be able to help. I wanted to use a film still to print a very large poster — as close to wall size as I can get.

Blu-ray/internet sources probably aren't going to give me a high enough resolution, right? I have access to an industrial printer, was thinking about buying 35mm trailers off eBay and finding a scanner somewhere.
To get super-high quality still film scans you have to use a drum scanner, which only specialized shops will have (like this one I just found in a search). Keep in mind they are talking about 35mm still film which has a much larger area than 2.35:1 motion picture film. I have no idea if they would accept motion picture film for legal or technical reasons, nor do I know if a dedicated motion picture film scanning service would do single frames. Even then, from what I can tell most 35mm cinema film is scanned at roughly 4K max, which is a pretty puny resolution to cover a wall with.

You could try doing something more artistic and posterizing a still to make it a bit more abstract (it would end up looking kinda like a Mondo poster). I don't know what type of fidelity your industrial printer is capable of either.

Edit: This is all a very roundabout way of saying that waiting for the inevitable 4K digital home release will be the easiest option, but you'll still probably need a bit of artistry to make it look good for a wall-sized print.

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 11, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

david_a posted:

To get super-high quality still film scans you have to use a drum scanner, which only specialized shops will have (like this one I just found in a search). Keep in mind they are talking about 35mm still film which has a much larger area than 2.35:1 motion picture film. I have no idea if they would accept motion picture film for legal or technical reasons, nor do I know if a dedicated motion picture film scanning service would do single frames. Even then, from what I can tell most 35mm cinema film is scanned at roughly 4K max, which is a pretty puny resolution to cover a wall with.

You could try doing something more artistic and posterizing a still to make it a bit more abstract (it would end up looking kinda like a Mondo poster). I don't know what type of fidelity your industrial printer is capable of either.

Thanks, this was very helpful — the drum scanner link shows 35mm sources as maxing out at 26" x 38" print sizes, so that idea is probably out. I should have figured it was a long-shot/dumb.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

morestuff posted:

Thanks, this was very helpful — the drum scanner link shows 35mm sources as maxing out at 26" x 38" print sizes, so that idea is probably out. I should have figured it was a long-shot/dumb.
Well, I think it's doable, but it will need a fair amount of artistry to make it work at a size like that. Still pictures have much higher resolution than motion pictures because you have all the time in the world to see the details. Like I said in my edit, waiting for the 4K home release will be the easiest way to get the best quality stills.

A completely different approach would be to project an image on the wall and trace/paint it...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There's a (pay) program you can use called Perfect Resize that lets you resize stuff to a larger size while keeping things sharp.

Here's the opening shot of Spartacus (this is the 4k scan Blu Ray):

here is one section, scaled up using 'nearest neighbor' in photoshop:

resized with Photoshop bicubic automatic resizing (which is also decent at scaling things up, but is a little blurry)

resized with Perfect Resize

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schweinhund posted:

There's a (pay) program you can use called Perfect Resize that lets you resize stuff to a larger size while keeping things sharp.

Here's the opening shot of Spartacus (this is the 4k scan Blu Ray):

here is one section, scaled up using 'nearest neighbor' in photoshop:

resized with Photoshop bicubic automatic resizing (which is also decent at scaling things up, but is a little blurry)

resized with Perfect Resize

The last one almost looks like stained glass.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

The last one almost looks like stained glass.

It looks like the sprite-scaling that they used in Yoshi's Island to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are better scalers out there

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

There are better scalers out there

like what?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yoshi's Island.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wouldn't you want to make a raster image of it, rather than making it look like SNES9X?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tbh I like the bicubic scaling better than the "better resize" one.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

It depends on how big you're blowing it up. At certain sizes the 2nd one would look like a smudged mess. The third one would look more like a painting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I just watched Calculator/Titanium/Vychislitel and it struck me that, as a voracious consumer of lovely direct-to-video action movies, I haven't really heard of many Russian ones. Is there a Russian film industry that makes action movies? If not, why? If so, what are some titles I can track down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXwrfAm98w

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dokmo posted:

Is there a Russian film industry that makes action movies?

Yeah there's some, like Black Lightning/Chornaya Molniya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kYdfSroTs

Also Spiral/Спираль
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4klfk7hC4

The 5th Execution/Ключ Саламандры with Rutger Hauer and Michael Madsen plus Russian Jason Statham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQFPUxnGrQ

There's a few coming up like Russian Avengers Guardians/Zashchitniki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeGIa5HO37Y

Also Coma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWcCyPecDY

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 5th Execution/Ключ Саламандры with Rutger Hauer and Michael Madsen plus Russian Jason Statham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQFPUxnGrQ

Oh god why have I not heard of this. It looks awesome.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Woah, that Coma movie looks really neat, I love the weirdness and the scale of some of the shots in that trailer. No clue what they're saying, but if the visuals are that good throughout I don't care.

Looks a lot like I'd imagine a modern take on roadside picnic with less stalking and more alien weirdness to look like.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 13, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dokmo posted:

Oh god why have I not heard of this. It looks awesome.

If you track down a copy and it's lives up to your expectations you should post a "What the poo poo? of the month" thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Coma looks absolutely like my kind of poo poo. Hyped for some Russian flick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you track down a copy and it's lives up to your expectations you should post a "What the poo poo? of the month" thread

I rented it from google play and unfortunately it wasn't stupid enough to be fun, and far too competent to make fun of. The hero is a fat Korean soldier who can't fight well on screen—Fedor Emelianenko, an actual real life fighter, and really the only reason to watch this, doesn't get much to do.