Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

No one cares about suppressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
That said, the longer Republicans and the NRA obstinately stand in the way of any kind of reform at all the more sympathetic I become to the "take everyone's guns and guillotine the holdouts" stance on gun control.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In non-gunchat news:

News just breaking that fed. appeals court ruled in favor of the FFC/Obama administration on net neutrality.

Here's the opinion.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fans posted:

Can't you just point to literally any other country and go "See? Gun control works"

I live in the UK and gun crime here is really not a massive issue. Hell in 2013 the Police had to fire their guns only three times and nobody was killed. Not just in London, across the entire of the UK. The last time a Police officer was shot here was in 2012. Three had died since then, two from car rams and one to an unexplained collapse during a foot chase which might have been an unfortunate fall. They're not all getting stabbed and shot by well armed criminals, that simply doesn't happen.

If even our cops can feel safe not having guns here (And they've actively protested against measures to give them guns) why the hell do American's need them? Is there really that many cases of brave heroes saving everyone by shooting all the bad guys?

None, people are more afraid of losing their totems than preventable death.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fans posted:

Can't you just point to literally any other country and go "See? Gun control works"

I live in the UK and gun crime here is really not a massive issue. Hell in 2013 the Police had to fire their guns only three times and nobody was killed. Not just in London, across the entire of the UK. The last time a Police officer was shot here was in 2012. Three had died since then, two from car rams and one to an unexplained collapse during a foot chase which might have been an unfortunate fall. They're not all getting stabbed and shot by well armed criminals, that simply doesn't happen.

If even our cops can feel safe not having guns here (And they've actively protested against measures to give them guns) why the hell do American's need them? Is there really that many cases of brave heroes saving everyone by shooting all the bad guys?

There's a lot of vicious identity politics tied up in American gun ownership that's been worsened due to the coastal/mainland divide (people in rural areas tend to view gun ownership as an entertaining hobby, since there's plenty more space for safe recreational shooting, and get really incensed when those effete coastal liberals start muttering about taking their toys away every time a bunch of people get shot dead), and deliberate encouragement from the NRA and other moneyed interests. Since guns don't really have much of an expiration date, which would normally limit the market, certain interest groups like to push the "big government is going to take your guns! Fight back now and BUY BUY BUY" angle so that paranoid consumers will purchase and hoard enough firearms to drop a small nation.

It's not really about personal safety or home protection for most people, it's a cultural divide that's probably never going to be resolved no matter how many people get killed and no matter how many gun advocates pass their tedious memes back and forth about how this time, for certain, regulation really is going to happen.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

C7ty1 posted:

In non-gunchat news:

News just breaking that fed. appeals court ruled in favor of the FFC/Obama administration on net neutrality.

Here's the opinion.
At first I though "the CAFC did something right? how can this be" but it's not that court.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY? ahaha just kidding

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/742722874893553664

So, the GOP obviously wants the narrative to be that this guy was an ISIS terminator who snuck across the border, so does the fact that it turns out he was a deeply mentally ill dickhead acting out against society like all other mass shooters before him actually dent this narrative or will they be able to soldier on through it and make this an immigration/anti-Muslim issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8UKXy5Jw6I
Here's Conan O'Brien of all people calling for an AWB.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah well there's no way anything in my post is going to happen anyway. I like that position mainly because it manages to piss off everyone equally.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm purely playing devil's advocate here, but the traditional argument is that A. the UK is an island nation, which makes it easier to prevent the unwanted entry of guns and B. the UK doesn't already have a large number of extant guns that would need to be seized.

You are correct though that the story of the brave citizen-militiaman that stops an incident by using their gun on the criminal perpetrators is a myth.

It goes without saying that any serious gun reform would be aimed at saving lives not tomorrow, but some a month from now, more a year from now, and even more a decade from now. It's going to take a long time to address the insane prevalence of firearms in this huge country which is why gun fans hope people just give up because it's hard.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Has anyone heard anything about the Dylan Roof case? The last article I saw was dated September 2015.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kilroy posted:

Yeah well there's no way anything in my post is going to happen anyway. I like that position mainly because it manages to piss off everyone equally.

Scalia is dead, once the court is 9 strong again we can kill the gun god.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

After Oklahoma City, didn't they change how fertilizer was made to prevent people from buying huge amounts of soon-to-be explosives? It's almost like we had a terrorist attack and decided to do something about it to prevent another one in the future.

Federal legislation isn't as stringent as you might hope http://americancityandcounty.com/security/ammonium-law-passes, but it seems to be more enforced in the state level http://townhall.virginia.gov/l/GetFile.cfm?File=E:%5Ctownhall%5Cdocroot%5C48%5C589%5C1803%5C2%20vac%205-400%20fert%20final%20reg.pdf with large quantities of fertilizer being bought setting off a few alarms and an LE response.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

It's already started, since the 9th (?) circuit ruled that there is no constitutional right to concealed carry. I can't wait until Heller gets reversed myself.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

If the FBI did its job we wouldn't be having this conversation right now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/742725311608041472

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

That said, the longer Republicans and the NRA obstinately stand in the way of any kind of reform at all the more sympathetic I become to the "take everyone's guns and guillotine the holdouts" stance on gun control.

This is been pretty much the argument I've been using since Orlando.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As a canadian who will be forever disarmed i find it mind boggling how you americans poo poo on your own hard earned rights and freedoms. Put yourself in the victims position for a minute and ask yourself if you would rather have a pistol on you for when the poo poo hits the fan or would you rather be a sitting duck waiting to be killed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sedge and Bee posted:

Is this serious or ironic I can't tell. This was reported as soon as he was identified.

I don't even know anymore.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

It's already started, since the 9th (?) circuit ruled that there is no constitutional right to concealed carry. I can't wait until Heller gets reversed myself.

Look upon our works and despair NRA champions, by allowing your works to grow unrestrained the natural societal order would turn against it in only a matter of time it is the day of the universe, and every time you protest its not time to talk about guns another karmic mark is notched into the fabric of reality, ensuring your guns will be taken away for good. For the good of all.

The only way to slow and even stop the tide is to agree to gun regulation, you will lose this war, because the universe DEMANDS it.

His Purple Majesty posted:

If the FBI did its job we wouldn't be having this conversation right now

The FBI currently is not allowed to prevent the purchase of guns, mayhaps you agree on the final solution? :getin:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

As a canadian who will be forever disarmed i find it mind boggling how you americans poo poo on your own hard earned rights and freedoms. Put yourself in the victims position for a minute and ask yourself if you would rather have a pistol on you for when the poo poo hits the fan or would you rather be a sitting duck waiting to be killed.

Some people are in a huge hurry to do so, because using them responsibly is hard. I mean, it's great how all the civil liberties protections we gave up post 9/11 have kept us safe from terror attacks, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Some people are in a huge hurry to do so, because using them responsibly is hard. I mean, it's great how all the civil liberties protections we gave up post 9/11 have kept us safe from terror attacks, right?

If you look at an obvious troll post intended to piss people off through its boilerplate hot take rhetoric and go "I agree 100%", it's time to reevaluate your politics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Doing the same old, same old isn't doing a drat thing. Maybe something different would have more of an impact?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There was an armed off duty cop at Pulse you loving idiot!

Maybe if there were 20, we could have saved more lives. Let's just put 20 armed guards at every possible location where a shooting could happen!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Three people had pistols apparently and were promptly killed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well anyone with a pistol on them at that club on any other night that decided to drink would be possessing said firearm illegally anyway, since you can't mix guns and booze. Yeah, if there's a mass shooting it would come in handy (maybe, probably not), but any other night it's just a charge you can catch, especially if you're a minority.

The other option is to just disarm everyone and watch the rate plummet like everywhere else in the world. Hope this helps.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Good thing those are the only two options, either die to the random whims of wannabe mass murderers or prepare to open fire along with 300 other people in a packed club.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Liquid Communism posted:

You know what else is hard? A militarized society. Rally! Rally! Proclaim your divine right to murder those you disagree with! The only point of your fetish in the first place!

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

And these are the same people who talk about revolution. I have never heard of a pacifist revolution.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

sean10mm posted:

People can make garbage guns of dubious effectiveness, therefore semiautomatic rifles based on military designs that are a superb balance of accuracy, range and power with magazine capacities of up to 100 rounds should be unrestricted forever.

Why not just say 'up to infinity' rounds? Any cartridge-fed weapon can have a magazine made for X cartridges and it can sound really scary.

Kilroy posted:

LeJackal posted:

The incrementalist attitude is precisely why the anti-gun crowd will never be given an inch, because every 'compromise' is in bad faith. Same as with the anti-abortion crowd.

This is one of the big issues that is going to cause this to be an issue basically forever. People in the 'ban' camp simply want to ban all guns, period. The freepers know that. Comparing anti-gun people to the anti-abortion crowd is a fair argument in this respect. Any law that makes it harder to buy or use guns is okay simply because it gets closer to banning guns. Every shooting I hear arguments that we should expand the no-fly list to be a 'no-guns' list. Yeah, let's totally expand an unconsitutional program... because it bans guns for some (brown) people! Civil rights? Due process? Only knee-jerk reactions allowed when guns are involved!

Zelder posted:

yeah same. it's a very bizarre feeling to think "i could have died last night over what is essentially three dollars" and to semi relate it back to a political point, it's confusing to me that people will strap up to prevent that from happening. i hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming, because i understand the desire to protect yourself is pretty strong and inherent (and totally understandable), and I also understand that there are worse things a stranger can do than mug you, but i dunno. they have the element of surprise every time, and when someone rushes out of the shadows and puts a gun in your ribs, well you've pretty much lost the tactical advantage at that point. i suppose i could have like, flip kicked the gun out of his hand, jumped in the air, screamed "IT'S HIGH NOON" and merked all three of the dudes, but that seems unrealistic.

personal events influencing political opinions over here, y'all

Yeah carrying a firearm won't help you in most situations. And that's even if you train regularly. You're probably more likely to shoot yourself if you just strap on a gun and walk around like most CCW types. The ones making those arguments are the freepers that haven't shot their balls off yet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Oxxidation posted:

There's a lot of vicious identity politics tied up in American gun ownership that's been worsened due to the coastal/mainland divide (people in rural areas tend to view gun ownership as an entertaining hobby, since there's plenty more space for safe recreational shooting, and get really incensed when those effete coastal liberals start muttering about taking their toys away every time a bunch of people get shot dead), and deliberate encouragement from the NRA and other moneyed interests. Since guns don't really have much of an expiration date, which would normally limit the market, certain interest groups like to push the "big government is going to take your guns! Fight back now and BUY BUY BUY" angle so that paranoid consumers will purchase and hoard enough firearms to drop a small nation.

It's not really about personal safety or home protection for most people, it's a cultural divide that's probably never going to be resolved no matter how many people get killed and no matter how many gun advocates pass their tedious memes back and forth about how this time, for certain, regulation really is going to happen.

It's just depressing to see this happen so often with so little done to stop it happening again. It's up there with people dying because of Homeopathy on just how infuriatingly stupid or self serving people have to be to perpetuate it. Here's hoping something happens over there soon, any progress at all would be good by this point.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Look upon our works and despair NRA champions, by allowing your works to grow unrestrained the natural societal order would turn against it in only a matter of time it is the day of the universe, and every time you protest its not time to talk about guns another karmic mark is notched into the fabric of reality, ensuring your guns will be taken away for good. For the good of all.

The only way to slow and even stop the tide is to agree to gun regulation, you will lose this war, because the universe DEMANDS it.

The FBI currently is not allowed to prevent the purchase of guns, mayhaps you agree on the final solution? :getin:

He was under investigation from the FBI and was on a watch list.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

If you look at an obvious troll post intended to piss people off through its boilerplate hot take rhetoric and go "I agree 100%", it's time to reevaluate your politics.

I think responding to "background checks would be good and cool" with a series of posts about how people will set up machine shops to construct their own guns reevaluation isn't going to get you very far.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

And these are the same people who talk about revolution. I have never heard of a pacifist revolution.

*Types on computer pushing glasses up nose*

Historically, this has never previously occured.. therefore...

He was under investigation from the FBI and was on a watch list.

FBI can't prevent, blah blah, if you're not going to put in the effort why should I?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

There was an armed off duty cop at Pulse you loving idiot!

Maybe if there were 20, we could have saved more lives. Let's just put 20 armed guards at every possible location where a shooting could happen!

There were 3 police officers there right away. One of them was working security and I'm not sure what the other 2 were doing. So 20 might be a good number to start with.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AbsoluteLlama posted:

This is one of the big issues that is going to cause this to be an issue basically forever. People in the 'ban' camp simply want to ban all guns, period. The freepers know that. Comparing anti-gun people to the anti-abortion crowd is a fair argument in this respect. Any law that makes it harder to buy or use guns is okay simply because it gets closer to banning guns. Every shooting I hear arguments that we should expand the no-fly list to be a 'no-guns' list. Yeah, let's totally expand an unconsitutional program... because it bans guns for some (brown) people! Civil rights? Due process? Only knee-jerk reactions allowed when guns are involved!

This isn't true at all but the oversimplification is pushed hard by certain people because it makes it easy to throw up their hands and say "Well this is never gonna go anywhere let's just keep the status quo!"

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

*Types on computer pushing glasses up nose*

Historically, this has never previously offered.. therefore...

You've been watching too much gundam my friend.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
There is no need to resort to hyperbole when new 100 round drums for ARs are a legal product that anyone can buy for real right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

You've been watching too much gundam my friend.

You are not overthrowing the government. So get rid of the revolution idea. Its not 1776 anymore.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If only the victims had been armed, they would have been safe in that dark crowded night club surrounded by hundreds of frightened, drunk gunslingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I want to ban all guns forever but I'm willing to compromise at a ban on handguns and semi automatic actions.

• Locked thread