Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, drat. :(

Looks like Panty Thief entered into one of those "grab limb -> let it go" loops that wrestlers just fall into at random sometimes. Dang. At least Dory put up one hell of a fight.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Please don't take offense to the above, my dad and Coward. Dory and Anthony did similar things with completely different tactics so I had to write it in there.

I laughed at the writeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Great write-up, I enjoyed the read.

Anthony's and Mogwai's builds doing exactly what they were meant to is lovely to see. Tonic is nice and efficient too (until his arms fall off). Dory put up a really scary fight though, we were dead lucky he got isolated 3 on 1.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Great write-up, I enjoyed the read.

Anthony's and Mogwai's builds doing exactly what they were meant to is lovely to see. Tonic is nice and efficient too (until his arms fall off). Dory put up a really scary fight though, we were dead lucky he got isolated 3 on 1.

Yeah, James being pulled to the ground by Anthony's initial charge forced him to lock onto the nearly-invulnerable tiger. If he had dodged away instead of being taken down he would have probably won that fight by helping Dory.

my dad posted:

Looks like Panty Thief entered into one of those "grab limb -> let it go" loops that wrestlers just fall into at random sometimes. Dang. At least Dory put up one hell of a fight.

I legitimately did not know this was a thing. That's all Panty did, no bending/breaking of limbs confused me but I was busy screenshotting and writing. Ran it six more times and it went 6-0 for Plump Helmets.

gently caress. If I had known that existed and seen it, I would have stopped the fight and done it again because that's not exactly fair. We should have some kind of plan on what to do if something weird happens mid-fight. I simply didn't notice :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Ran it six more times and it went 6-0 for Plump Helmets.

LA LA LA NOT LISTENING

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

I legitimately did not know this was a thing. That's all Panty did, no bending/breaking of limbs confused me but I was busy screenshotting and writing. Ran it six more times and it went 6-0 for Plump Helmets.

gently caress. If I had known that existed and seen it, I would have stopped the fight and done it again because that's not exactly fair. We should have some kind of plan on what to do if something weird happens mid-fight. I simply didn't notice :(

Nah, TLA won this fair and square. Everything is a feature in the arena and the only thing that matters is who is left standing in the end. :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm of the opinion that the first run kind of has to be the one we use, no matter if it's a one-sided drubbing or what. It's just the easiest, most objective way to avoid bias creeping in.

Also, gently caress, I'm wiped out and penniless again right on the eve of the final. :v:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

James being non-factor in the fight was a personal disappointment, but that's the way the chips fall. Well done to Team Laser Explosion!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

I'm of the opinion that the first run kind of has to be the one we use, no matter if it's a one-sided drubbing or what. It's just the easiest, most objective way to avoid bias creeping in.

That's probably true. Plus I don't know enough about DF to know if something is wonky or someone just sucks at killing.

ZeeToo posted:

Also, gently caress, I'm wiped out and penniless again right on the eve of the final. :v:

Ditto. 100 dwarfbux to spend on myself while I hope Antwoman one-shots Dory strictly for bragging rights.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
By the way, reading the log, looks like I just solved the mistery of armoring tails: They're protected by breastplates, which means they count as a limb going "up" instead of "down". That's why leggings and greaves never seem to protect them. Only mail shirts and breastplates will do.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I saw that too, didn't know it was a mystery though.

Thought it was pretty odd because I boner-tuck upwards, not down toward my knees. I figured it would be reverse for tails.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Losing because of weird RNG behavior is extremely Dwarf Fortress.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Team Laser Explosion have been impressively egalitarian in their killing: Every single one of them now has two kills in the postseason. Will they manage the unlikely trifecta and get one kill each in the final?

The title of 'Most killy team' will be settled in the bronze medal match. The Helmets, on 62 kills across season and Playoffs, need to win to claim it outright. The Zoo, on 61, need to win to tie up with the Animists on 65. If we get a 4-3 slaughterfest with a single Petting Zoo fighter left standing, we have a three-way tie.

Both teams will contest the final starting out on 50 kills. Mogwai just doubled his kill tally, Tyler Durden is Hobbes is just one kill ahead. James LargeSausage, regardless of any kills in the Bronze match, consolidates and confirms his title as the most killy gladiator.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
drat. Well, we had a good run.

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I understand that there are two entire teams in this final, but I really just want to crown the #1 Murder Punch Tiger Tank. It is absolutely fascinating how that build got so drat effective in the playoffs. (after barely getting by prior)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Mr. Vile posted:

drat. Well, we had a good run.

You can still win the bronze against Hell's Dentists.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

You hate me, don't you?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

You hate me, don't you?

Whoops :ughh: I mean against the Petting Zoo.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Oh, neat. Guess I'd better remove that then.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You can't update your poo poo, so ZeeToo can run that fight anytime he wants.

Antwoman for comparison:

She has the following equipment.
Adamantine Large Dagger
Iron Helm
Copper Mail Shirt
Steel Mail Shirt
Copper Greaves
Copper Gauntlets
Copper Low Boots

She has the following skills.
Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 8 Knife (Expert)
Level 2 Striking (Adequate)
Level 3 Biting (Competent)
Level 5 Dodging (Proficient)
Level 4 Armor (Skilled)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
my dad, you are managing Dory, a female Minotaur fighter.

She has the following equipment.
Copper Spear
Copper Spear
Steel Cap
Leather Armor
Bronze Mail Shirt
Steel Mail Shirt
Steel Gauntlets
Steel High Boots

She has the following skills.
Level 2 Fighting (Adequate)
Level 10 Spear (Accomplished)
Level 1 Wrestling (Novice)
Level 5 Dodging (Proficient)

Dory has 94.6 points currently available to spend.

Had we reached the finals, she'd have 13 spear skill.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Gotta ask because she's clearly deadly as poo poo: Lack of Fighting skill didn't make a bit of difference huh?

You just jacked the weapon skill and said screw it to the fighting skill. Testing shows its useless?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mind you, I've done almost no testing with her build past the initial stage (to make sure I'm not doing something stupid), this is mostly me following my gut feel. :shrug: I just don't think strikes of opportunity are all that useful on her build, compared to being really good at shiskebabing people with one of her spears while casually blocking their strikes with the other.

One thing I did test is adding a copper breastplate and greaves for some extra blunt protection, but it's just too drat heavy, and costs points that could go on more useful stuff.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Update your poo poo, place bets!:siren:

Forgot to say that earlier.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Since it looks like I have to start the round to run the bronze match,

:siren: Bronze medal match on Thursday, :siren: unless one of our fighters tells me they're going to need more time to prep or the like.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Spermy Smurf posted:

Please don't take offense to the above, my dad and Coward. Dory and Anthony did similar things with completely different tactics so I had to write it in there.

That was hilarious.

Well done, Anthony, you fat lump.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I am glad Spermy found a funny way to express his anger at unconscious pugilistic tigermen that win fights by not dying.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Here's James:

James LargeSausage, a male Human fighter.

He has the following equipment.
Steel Halberd
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Leggings
Iron Gauntlets
Iron Low Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 1 Fighting (Adequate)
Level 12 Axe (Master)
Level 6 Dodging (Talented)

I'm not sure what I would have bought him for the finals, probably more weapon skill.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What was his skill level during the normal season? He was a beast.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So it is starting to look like fighting skill is worthless garbage?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Splode posted:

I think it depends a lot on the fighter's race probably. I definitely didn't bother with it on my fighter but then I also be came much less effective as time went on so maybe I'm not the best authority.
Here's Richard's Build btw.

you are managing Richard Kyanka, a male Dark Gnome fighter.

This fighter is participating in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of Two Chicks with Dicks.

He has the following equipment.
Adamantine Large Dagger
Oak Wood Buckler

He has the following skills.
Level 8 Knife (Expert)
Level 7 Dodging (Adept)
Level 5 Shield (Proficient)

Richard Kyanka has 67 points currently available to spend.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splode posted:

I believe tests show it's better than nothing, but due to the way DF generates attacks having an opportunity against someone's back left second molar isn't necessarily that useful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On the bright side, with the upcoming update, damage probably isn't going to be fully contained in a single body segment, so this may become more useful.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope it leads to things like being kicked so hard in the arse your skull gets broken by your spine smashing into it.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

What was his skill level during the normal season? He was a beast.

He grew from rank 6 to rank 12 over the course of the tournament. The points boost for qualifying + banked points took him from rank 8 to 12, if I recall.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Looking for something to do in between fights? Why not sign up for...

:siren:The latest Combat Mission Goon v. Goon game! :siren:

We need 4 more people (2 axis, 2 allied). No previous experience required. Owning the game? Also not required.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It looks like people are updated on the site. A few gladiators have leftover points for some reason, but less than 50 so I assume they just don't feel the need for 1 striking or 1 biting or whatever.

No one has said they are ready yet have they?

:siren:GO BIG and LASER EXPLOSION:siren: Are you ready?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

It looks like people are updated on the site. A few gladiators have leftover points for some reason, but less than 50 so I assume they just don't feel the need for 1 striking or 1 biting or whatever.

No one has said they are ready yet have they?

:siren:GO BIG and LASER EXPLOSION:siren: Are you ready?

My Body is Ready

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mogwai is ready to dominate.

I cant lose anymore.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm locked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008