Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Looks like you have not correct and correct version of page 17 up in the update post, with no page 166.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I think something got messed up, I'm not seeing the new page.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Looks like you have not correct and correct version of page 17 up in the update post, with no page 166.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I think something got messed up, I'm not seeing the new page.

whoops, fixed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Admonishlingly declare : "Bad Dog!"

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

the_steve posted:

Admonishlingly declare : "Bad Dog!"

Command him to sit, and tease with with a delicious bone.

And you are originally making all these?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
You could grab a random limb and tell him to "fetch"...

But the dog dude is bluffing. If he knew smite, he would have smitten you instead of threatening to smite you. It's like the say in the monstary,

"Those who can, smite; those who can't, make wine, drink wine, and pass out under the altar."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I saw half a copy of a similar looking cyoa dated from back in the 70s, I suspect it was one of the 'first adventures' he spoke about writing when he was in school. That would make sense because it was full of the most badly written wretchedly sexualized horror I've ever seen, like a CYOA fatal. God knows why he wanted to publish it, misplaced pride I guess.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Outrail posted:

I saw half a copy of a similar looking cyoa dated from back in the 70s, I suspect it was one of the 'first adventures' he spoke about writing when he was in school. That would make sense because it was full of the most badly written wretchedly sexualized horror I've ever seen, like a CYOA fatal. God knows why he wanted to publish it, misplaced pride I guess.

I'm not sure Herman Skull ever actually liked gamebooks or understood how they worked but he saw people buying Fighting Fantasy and Way of the Tiger and thought he could get rich doing that. He was already pretty old in the 70s. If you have a copy from that era I know a couple of people who'd fight you for it.

spacejew posted:

Command him to sit, and tease with with a delicious bone.

And you are originally making all these?

I'm a curator, or at least someone who buys these things at ridiculous expense from a spiv called "Two-Fisted Steve". I post them here for the e-cred that comes with posting a Let's Play on Something Awful in the year 2016.

I am writing them based off the instructions the thread's giving me

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
How is Two Fisted Steve now days SIB?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Yeah, if he could smite, he would have by now. Command him to sit and stay.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I'm not sure Herman Skull ever actually liked gamebooks or understood how they worked but he saw people buying Fighting Fantasy and Way of the Tiger and thought he could get rich doing that. He was already pretty old in the 70s. If you have a copy from that era I know a couple of people who'd fight you for it.

That was years ago, literally half of the book in a charity thrift shop bargain bin. No way was I paying even 50c for something back then.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

I Greyhound posted:

You could grab a random limb and tell him to "fetch"...

This is what I was thinking. Let's throw a bone and make him fetch

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Add 17 to the current reference number. Should be 166 + 17 = 183.

In the rules, which I don't think were scanned, we can add 17 and see if it's time for our mandated break time. If the reference makes sense, we get to call in one of our rep buddies to do the job for us. I don't know if we want to use it here, though, because they usually are pretty weird encounters in their own rights.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I forget, does our Deadwood Staff count as a stick for this check?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Modus Pwnens posted:

Yeah this would be important to know

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

poisonpill posted:

Add 17 to the current reference number. Should be 166 + 17 = 183.

In the rules, which I don't think were scanned, we can add 17 and see if it's time for our mandated break time. If the reference makes sense, we get to call in one of our rep buddies to do the job for us. I don't know if we want to use it here, though, because they usually are pretty weird encounters in their own rights.

Yup, that's a thing, but only if you're in the SWU (which we are). That should probably have been in the section of the rules about SWU membership but instead it's on page 18 under "Break and Meal Time Arrangements".

Modus Pwnens posted:

Yep - and also you could throw a femur or a humerus to get the same effect.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
THROW THE STICK and call him a good boy maybe he'll join us to fight the Bobs or whatever

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gridlocked posted:

How is Two Fisted Steve now days SIB?

he's still a bastard. I just wish I got to the abandoned dumpster full of these books before he did - we both got the tip off but he got there first. Now I'm eating shredded cardboard and sleeping on the floor while he's living large on second-hand book sale money.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad
Please continue your glorious work.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It looks like something along the lines of "make the Kobold fetch" is ahead and/or the most entertaining option : do we want to throw that staff or an arm/leg?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Throw our own arm, we've got the undead stick so we can use that to take control of our arm and strangle him with it. I don't see any arm in trying anyhow.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Unless we or our magic minion can cast Turn Kobald, I say we Throw him a bone

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yesterday's page complete:

We'll

Nyaa posted:

Throw him a bone

I assume we're chucking our decrepit old arm. Being one-armed means we're now one-fisted.

Turning to 349:

What do we do? I think we can take him even with our minimal energy, but just like with most battles in this book it's possible to admit defeat or just not fight. Then again, he did just vaporise our arm.

If we fight we'll get to raise or harvest the dude as usual. Either way we need to decide what to do next. Deeper into the mines? back to the surface to encounter the goblin village? some other thing?

so, 1. do we fight or wuss out?
and 2. what should we do post battle?

Here's the adventure scroll:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm of the opinion that we should fight and take his arm as replacement.
Let's investigate down after.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Are we now no longer part of the SWU do to not having the proper number of limbs?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Who What Now posted:

Are we now no longer part of the SWU do to not having the proper number of limbs?

that would be pretty ableist of the SWU, even by 80s standards

nah it's a prohibition on making yourself into an undead human centipede, you can have less than the normal number of limbs and still be in good standing

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
"Good, you can join them".

Half choke him to complete a whole chokening

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
there are barrel skeletons that don't even have legs, so SWU is pretty understanding. Let's fight!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Fight.
I'd need to see the cards to know if we should raise a skeldogmage or get a skeledogmagearm should we win.

After that, we should either delve too deep into the mine (what kind of mine is it, anyway?) or leave and continue on the cauldron quest, though at this point, I'm of a mind that the witch can get it herself. Skeletons going their own way.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My biggest concern is that even without mana, I think he still gets a pretty sizable racial bonus against us.

If we can call for Union Reinforcements, then do that then fight him.
If we can't call for help, we should leave.

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm of the opinion that we should fight and take his arm as replacement.
Let's investigate down after.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Just let him leave already, strike is over. We have little enough essence as it is. When the on-site Head Blugeon straight up bashes his bits into bobs we can enquire about using the health plan to get another arm

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
"I gotta hand it to you that you're a good rival, but no bones about it, you're still going to be my neckst victim."

>Strangle him.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad
Probably a mangey kobald, use the shears to give him a good grooming. Even if we are one handed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I suggest kicking a bitch who tried to smite us.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

"I gotta hand it to you that you're a good rival, but no bones about it, you're still going to be my neckst victim."

>Strangle him.

This

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Do we have any paper we can roll up? If we do, I suggest we hit over the nose with it telling him that he's been a "BAD DOG!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

No that's way too cruel. Just strangle him

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ask him, "Who's a good boy?!" While he ponders this deep question scratch him behind the ear and ask him if he wants to go for a ride?!

We now have a kobald buddy to hang around with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ask him, "Who's a good boy?!" While he ponders this deep question scratch him behind the ear and ask him if he wants to go for a ride?!

We now have a kobald buddy to hang around with!

Recruit the dog

Edit: with skeleton puns about the struggle of the working class skeleton

• Locked thread