Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's also not the same as, "no they weren't."

538's podcast mentioned this fact, there was a ban on AR-15 domestic sales for that period, but it was a sunset clause and not renewed. Cue predictable squeals from gun nuts when it's suggested to renew the ban more permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
This is getting pedantic, but the Assault Weapons Ban

quote:

restricted the manufacture, transfer, and possession of semi-automatic assault weapons except for: those already in lawful possession at the time of the law's enactment;

So unlike the Australian model, if you already had one, it was grandfathered.

quote:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount

This is already idiotic. When was the last time a grenade launcher was used in a spree shooting? What about a bayonet?

If you actually want to restrict the killing power of guns focus on magazine limits, power of the cartridge and rate of fire. The Australian model, for all its faults, was at least mostly competent (altho I'd judge the Gun License model did much more for crime than banning semi-autos).

Anyway this is getting really boring so unless you can tie it into Australia somehow I'm gonna drop the subject.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Skellybones posted:

LibertyCat please address which, if any of the listed massacres count. A bunch of them involved swarthy or downright dusky victims so I understand if you don't want to consider them.

I'd have thought, from the context of the discussion, it would be obvious I was talking about massacres committed by a single person in recent history. Frankly I don't give a poo poo what happened 100 years before I was born during a war. That's not the subject of the discussion and you know it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LibertyCat posted:

"Automatic Rifle" has a specific meaning - part of that meaning is it has a mode where if you hold the trigger down and it goes BANG BANG BANG. Automatic Rifles have not been used in US Civilian spree shootings in decades. Demanding bans on them is pointless as they're already heavily restricted and have vanishingly small levels of violent crime.

Doesn't this sort of contradict your earlier argument that weapons bans just couldn't work in the US and that it would take a huge amount of resources in order to be barely effectual?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

I'd have thought, from the context of the discussion, it would be obvious I was talking about massacres committed by a single person in recent history. Frankly I don't give a poo poo what happened 100 years before I was born during a war. That's not the subject of the discussion and you know it.

Why do only massacres recently committed by a single person matter? If two Jihadi Superterrorists had worked together to shoot up a bar does that make it not as notable?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LibertyCat posted:

This is getting pedantic, but the Assault Weapons Ban

So unlike the Australian model, if you already had one, it was grandfathered.

This is already idiotic. When was the last time a grenade launcher was used in a spree shooting? What about a bayonet?

If you actually want to restrict the killing power of guns focus on magazine limits, power of the cartridge and rate of fire. The Australian model, for all its faults, was at least mostly competent (altho I'd judge the Gun License model did much more for crime than banning semi-autos).

Anyway this is getting really boring so unless you can tie it into Australia somehow I'm gonna drop the subject.

Look, when the hipsters go on shooting rampages after not liking their deconstructed lattes with their authentic reproduction black powder muskets dressed in steampunk cosplay you'll be very glad they won't have legal access to bayonets and those round black gunpowder bombs with lit fuses.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GlenMR posted:

You see these images on Twitter every so often, and it just defies belief that these things actually happen. Some of them are just so preposterous.

That was depressing, especially shooting a 3 year old for misbehaving :smith:

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
Just got into an argument at the station with a whinging Liberal supporter who was complaining his boss was probably going to sack him from his minimum wage job due to age discrimination, but then went on a rant about how the unions are planning on getting rid of all cfa volunteers

This is between his bitching about the construction workers building the new station having yesterday off.

Maybe if you worked in an industry with an effective union and didn't blindly repeat the lies you read in the Herald Sun you wouldn't be so loving scared, envious, and miserable all the loving time?

Yet you know he's going to vote Liberal and have what little rights he has left get dissolved once they get back in power. loving idiot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Worked up the nerve to take the train again because cycling to work everyday was killing my knees and rear end. Lol the dumbfuck's phone is still there

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Skellybones posted:

Marines count as 3 Americans apiece OORAH

So black marines are equivalent to two white civilians?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SynthOrange posted:

Worked up the nerve to take the train again because cycling to work everyday was killing my knees and rear end. Lol the dumbfuck's phone is still there

Hahaha, did you hear anything else about it?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GlenMR posted:

You see these images on Twitter every so often, and it just defies belief that these things actually happen. Some of them are just so preposterous.

quote:

My three-year-old stepson was jumping on the bed and wouldn't behave, so I shot him dead. (TX, 5/19)

quote:

My three-year-old stepson was jumping on the bed and wouldn't behave, so I shot him dead. (TX, 5/19)

quote:

:stonk:

Ban all guns and arrest all gun owners now

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

SynthOrange posted:

What's the story with the dumbfuck and their phone?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

What's the story with the dumbfuck and their phone?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778323&userid=115900#post460771615 is the start if you want to follow along

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:stonk:

Ban all guns and arrest all gun owners now

Look, if a parent wants to smack their child with a gun I believe that is their choice and the government shouldn't get involved

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

Hey I just mentioned the time my ancestor ordered his troops to bayonet thousands of Americans while they slept.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA4Me7X5Blw

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-14/cleric-set-to-leave-australia-after-anti-gay-comment-controversy/7509358

quote:

Mr Dutton said he was first made aware of the case on Monday.

"We need to consider all of the facts before we make a decision, but the Government's position remains very clear," he said.

"We won't tolerate people who are preaching hate in our country, we won't tolerate the presence of people who fail the character test under Section 501 of the Migration Act."

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the sheikh was not welcome in Australia if he held those views.

http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/whereyourmpstands/states/NSW/

Well:

Alex Hawke
Ann Sudmalis
Barnaby Joyce
Bob Baldwin
Bronwyn Bishop
Chris Hayes(ALP)
Craig Kelly
Craig Laundy
David Gillespie
John Cobb
Karen McNamara
Louise Markus
Lucy Wicks
Luke Hartsuyker (Utter worthless turd and my local member :allears:)
Michael McCormack
Nickolas Varvaris
Paul Fletcher
Peter Hendy
Philip Ruddock
Scott Morrison
Tony Abbott

The tribe has spoken it's time for you to leave the island!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-15/bendigo-mosque-high-court-challenge/7511690

quote:

Bendigo mosque appeal request thrown out by High Court Updated 28 minutes ago

The High Court has thrown out a request to hear an appeal by opponents of Bendigo's first mosque. Two Bendigo residents have been fighting the planned mosque, arguing the Bendigo City Council failed in their legal obligations to fully consider the social effect of the mosque. The pair took the matter to the High Court after their challenge was dismissed first by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and then the State Court of Appeal.
Suck salty poo poo bigots.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-15/police-charge-sydney-17-year-old-with-counter-terror-offences/7511540

quote:

Terror charges: NSW Police charge 17-year-old after social media tip-off Updated about an hour ago

A 17-year-old has been charged by counter-terrorism police with preparing for or planning a terrorist act after being arrested at home in The Oaks, south-west of Sydney. Police said they were led to the teen's home by social media posts, and he was charged at midnight. The boy is accused of preparing for or planning a terrorist act, and using a telecommunications network with an intention to commit a serious offence. A police spokesman told the ABC the teenager does not appear to have been motivated by religious extremism or Islamic State ideology. The spokesman said it is believed an attack was imminent. The boy remains in custody and is due to appear in a Sydney children's court today. "Police advise there is no threat to the community," a NSW Police statement said. "The matter is unrelated to any previous investigation carried out by the NSW JCTT [Joint Counter Terrorism Team]."
Terror minnow!!!!!!! Oh My God!!!!!!!! What if he had bought a gun!!!!!!! :flame:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

LibertyCat talking out of his arse (shamelessly stolen from the SC thread):

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Huh...

If that runs on TV I can see it being effective.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LibertyCat posted:

Stuff that happened 100 years ago during a war is irrelevant, but a gun law passed 200 years ago because of a war is a vital pillar of modern democracy. Gotcha.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This was posted on the UPF facbook page

Eureka flag was used by migrants working in the goldfields not wanting to pay the British tax

Ned Kelly was Irish

Simpson and his donkey were actually NZ, random biplane in tattoo for ???

Bolt-action rifle was of British design

lol @ rigged-ship at the bottom, I guess nothing of value came outta this continant before British occupation amirite?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Huh...

If that runs on TV I can see it being effective.

Effective in inducing seizures.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

This was posted on the UPF facbook page

Eureka flag was used by migrants working in the goldfields not wanting to pay the British tax

Ned Kelly was Irish

Simpson and his donkey were actually NZ, random biplane in tattoo for ???

Bolt-action rifle was of British design

lol @ rigged-ship at the bottom, I guess nothing of value came outta this continant before British occupation amirite?

Simpson actually defected from the British merchant navy and served with the AIF, so was British.

The Australian emblem was also red until 1954, then Menzies made it blue officially because he didn't want a red flag (commies).

starkebn fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 15, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Theres a wordfilter in my brain that changes "Such is life' to "im an idiot" and i cant turn it off

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Theres a wordfilter in my brain that changes "Such is life' to "im an idiot" and i cant turn it off

It's a good filter

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

BASS WUB WUB WUB WUB

On an unrelated note, seconding whoever it was upthread that recommended doorknocking. Went doorknocking for the first time on sund, was a pretty cool thing. It's actually a fairly simple thing, if you're new to it they'll get you a buddy to help and I only got told to gently caress off in one out of fifteen houses in liberal heartland!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

of value came outta this continant before British occupation amirite?
Stop the boats?

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
The level of crazy Labor supporters are reaching with their claims that by putting Libs last in Sydney it means they support Fred Nile is off the charts. What has happened to any semblance of nuanced debate in this country? It's dissolved into nothing but partisan pissing matches

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Aesculus posted:

BASS WUB WUB WUB WUB

On an unrelated note, seconding whoever it was upthread that recommended doorknocking. Went doorknocking for the first time on sund, was a pretty cool thing. It's actually a fairly simple thing, if you're new to it they'll get you a buddy to help and I only got told to gently caress off in one out of fifteen houses in liberal heartland!

That was me! I'm glad you had fun! Field, assuming you have decent people doing it, has far and away the best return on investment of any kind of campaign spending. Source: I work in Field in USPol

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
This could be good.

Election 2016: Victorian dairy farmers in safe Liberal seat say they will take their anger to the ballot box

quote:

Alex Robertson, who represents the advocacy group Farmer Power, said the feeling among dairy farmers was that if the Coalition and Labor were not going to listen to them, "we're not going to vote for them."
While Simpson had always voted Liberal, everything was now on the table in this election, said Mr Methven.

Mr Methven said when he spoke with his friends, most of them had talked about voting independent.

I don't expect a revolution of Greens votes or even a swing big enough for a safe rural seat to switch hands, but there seems to be a lot of articles talking up the discontent with the big two.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Can someone make a "Liberaling of Labor" video?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Boost renewable energy target to 50% and get 28,000 extra jobs, says report

http://gu.com/p/4y677

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Can someone make a "Liberaling of Labor" video?

With even more dubstep preferably

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

*Has amnesia regarding the IRA, Timothy McVeigh, Guy Fawkes, the Ku Klux Klan, Army of God, etc.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Essential Research: 51-49 to the ALP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95RHO6_Gw4

Can I have an avatar of Katter blowing his gun and smiling pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95RHO6_Gw4

Can I have an avatar of Katter blowing his gun and smiling pls.

I like the way his little pinky is up like he is holding a delicate cup of tea.

• Locked thread